2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I've been vacillating the last two days about doing a 2-stopper or a 3-stopper. I have to finally admit to myself that I don't have the consistency on this track to make the 3-stopper viable. I might overcome the pit loss of the extra stop but it's iffy, at best. For the amount of practice I've done the last two days, I have really low expectations going into this race. My best hope is that most people hate this track so much that they couldn't get themselves to work on it too much.

Last edited:
Just missed the last time slot. Shame that on a weekend. The last slot is kind of early. But the midweek sessions run till so late.

Hope it went well for all those who managed to get into some of the races.

Reckon my FIA season is over for now. But still been good fun.

People generally work during the week so the slots are later to make up for that.

People generally work during the week so the slots are later to make up for that.

True, but unless I'm mistaken, the last slot on a Wednesday is around 1am. Or there about. GMT +2

On a Saturday its 10:40. Guess you can't please everyone. Just unfortunate, with work, or Saturday plans, it makes slots hard to get in to on the weekend.

True, but unless I'm mistaken, the last slot on a Wednesday is around 1am. Or there about. GMT +2

On a Saturday its 10:40. Guess you can't please everyone. Just unfortunate, with work, or Saturday plans, it makes slots hard to get in to on the weekend.

I can't see why they can't make everyone happy? We get 6 slots, more than the others, so they could spread them out more to cover more situations. This is something that would help Asia especially. It's fine they are so close for those who want to play all of them, but it means you need to be available over a shorter time. I would say last one should always be around midnight no matter what time the first one is.

Decent race. I qualied P5 with a good first flying lap for me, I biffed the entrance to T1 so I backed out of my second lap and took the banker.

I decided to start on RM, doing a 2-stop 9M/4H/7S. I started well, moving up a couple places at the start of my first stint but gave them back as tire wear kicked in. I tried to hold up a couple people on softs when I started my RH stint but only managed to slow them down for half a lap or so. I had pretty good pace for the lobby once I got onto the RS but didn't make up as many positions as I would've hoped. All said and done, I finished P5.

For the most part, the racing was close but clean. For the most part. There was definitely some moments of people on faster tire compounds pushing their way past which got me to saying, "If you're going to penalize things PD, it should be things like this." There was one moment on the RH where I lost close to a full second as somebody divebombed me on the hairpin. I'm guessing the fact that I could keep myself on track is why no penalty was issued?

I'm questioning my decision to go with a 2-stop a little bit, as I lost positions at the end of my RM stint and during the longish RH stint. But like I said earlier, I didn't trust my lack of consistency to overcome the extra stop. But the Subaru that won it by 7+ sec did a 3-stop, as did at least one of the Merc's ahead of me. So, I dunno.

I'm not going to analyze this race too much or even do another slot. I got decent points and honestly a better finish than I expected. Not to mention that I'm kind of sick of this combo now. I did way too much practice to even get this finish. Bleh.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210102154805.jpg

Last edited:
A really good return to the McLaren after a few rounds off. Don’t like it, but with some effort, I’m not too bad with it.

Not the best of qualifying sessions. Got stuck behind people both laps and on the second lap I was purple sector 1, before my attempt to get around the guy holding me up led to us colliding in the hairpin. Knew my 13th was not the best place to be going into turn 1.

94EA2EF1-9B13-4DAA-96DE-2AC70AB22D2D.jpeg

But I’ll take it. Uneventful race, and happy with that after the SSRX weekend. Should’ve switched my strategy back to what I tested, as having to put for hards on lap 19 cost time towards the end of the medium stint.

Last edited:
View attachment 982319

I know it’s only 9th but I’m delighted with that!!! :gtpflag:

Saw that I needed 12th or higher to improve my points and then qualified in 18th out of 19 with what I thought was a decent lap! Thought I’d ruined it before I’d even started! Opted to start on Hards for 1 lap and then Mediums for 5 laps. Paid off finishing on a double stint of Softs. Managed a whole race without a mistake or being shafted by another driver :lol:👍

Congrats, I was in the same room with the Atenza. I noticed your qualifying didn't go so well then I saw you finish 9th. Nicely done. :)

Unpopular opinion (it seems :D) but I like tracks in reverse. I find reverse Gardens more flowing and around the chicane especially. I'm hopeless driving through it on the regular layout. I went 6S/6S/6S/1M/1H and looking back, I probably made one stop too many on Softs. I qualified 8th behind a Ford GT that ran into the turn 2 wall (F) and several laps later, a Ferrari span around the S-bend. I think I made one pass all race. I dropped a couple of places when I pit for Hards and Mediums to finish 7th (130p). Long strategic races are really fun, I hope for more of them.

4ec190e89a.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Year, and a happy 1,000th post on GTP! :)

Dragon Trail Gardens II is not a circuit I normally get on well with, but I felt like giving at least one shot at Manufacturers tonight after using @Mistah_MCA's guide to improve my best FP time to a mid-1:29. Seemed there was promise despite the GT generally feeling slippery and a little unsettled even on forward brake balance.

19:20 Manufacturers
Joined the 19:20 slot (door number '6') alongside @T_revisio (Audi) and two other Fords (one Castrol Mustang, one Greek GT). Followed T_revisio around on my first (and only representative) lap to set a 1:29.944, only nine-tenths off pole and enough to start 13th. Felt rather pleased with that, actually.

Decided for the race to switch up on the 3-stop strategy, starting on Mediums first before getting rid of the Hards between Laps 8-9. This worked well initially as I gained a few places through others binning it, picking up penalties or getting rid of their first compounds at the earliest opportunity. Towards the end of Lap 3, a German Aston launches over the sausage kerb at the penultimate S-bend, allowing me and two Jaguars (one Portuguese, one Cypriot) to briefly bunch up with him before the start-finish straight. There was slight contact between myself and the Portuguese Jag as I followed the Aston through on the inside (which, as usual, I apologised for later), but somehow we all survived and I managed to get up into 8th. Pit cycles not withstanding, it was a fairly solid start, but unfortunately the strategy didn't quite work out as I ended up dropping behind the Aston-Jag group and lost more ground trying to keep it together through the Hard stint. It was during that phase where I picked up a track limits penalty, and found out that for this circuit penalties can be served on pit exit.

The Greek GT (who started on Hards after qualifying dead last) stuck his nose up the inside at Turn 2 as I slithered around on cold Softs. Eventually caught up with the Mustang along with a Lambo driver who was struggling to tame his machine on Mediums. On Lap 13, I fight the Lambo for position at the first two corners, but get delayed at the hairpin as he loses it entirely, allowing the German Aston behind us to run away with 13th. From there, it was a quiet run to what became 15th, but I did later find enjoyment in keeping the Mustang honest through much of the final lap.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210102200725.png

Thought about doing the 20:40 slot as well, but started making mistakes during a practice lobby with @Ashthebash and decided to leave it there. Wouldn't say that the GT is the best suited MR car to drive around the reverse Gardens circuit, though I can't be too disappointed with how the 19:20 went considering this was my first full attempt at an official FIA race there. Greek 'teammate' finished 9th which suggests that it can still finish well on the right strategy.

D3 Q9, the dodge hates this track more than the VW so just going to try and finish clean and hopefully top half. so not going to muck about with tactics just going 1/1/6/6/6 and I remembered to change to hards :cool:
OH yeah another great race. Get shoved into barrier first lap so all the way to the back, boring boring boring I get in front of that guy on lap 15 and he punts me again. I lost it and badly rammed him, but my race was ruined on the first lap. I think the strategy would have worked though and am torn between quitting this horrible race or seeing if I'm right.

I'll add to the seemingly small list of those who enjoy DTG :lol:, more so in reverse. The only blot against it are the OTT sausage kerbs at the CoD 2.0, otherwise a rewarding if tricky track.

Was looking forward to Rd.6 after this combo appeared in the main season. I knew the NSX was strong along with other "handling" cars here, but it was on me to make sure I didn't bin it at those key corners; the never-ending T3 and the CoD 2.0. If my practice was anything to go by, things were a bit hit and miss! Felt a 3 stopper was best as I struggled to make the softs or mediums last long enough to be viable pace-wise in my ham-fisted hands. More comfortable pushing for the whole distance instead.

Went into slot 4 with door #19 in a very decent 194pt lobby, highest I'd been in since the full season. Sadly no other Honda brethren here, nonetheless I didn't expect much from myself. In the end I somehow managed to put a lap together on my second run, good enough for 3rd. Helped by a nice draft from a Vantage as I came to the line I must admit.

Had an R8 and an M6 ahead for the start, and made sure to exercise caution on L1 with cold tyres into T3. Whilst I survived, a Citroen directly behind, along with a couple other unlucky souls were claimed as cold tyre victims. I was happy staying 3rd to begin with, as the R8 and M6 ahead began battling, as did those behind so we broke away at the front. Coming onto lap 5 I was gifted 2nd as the M6 lost it exiting the final bend, with 1st and 2nd went 2-wide in an ambitious move. Race was largely calm from there on in, myself and the R8 in P1 pulled away from the chasing pack, before I followed it into the pits a lap earlier than planned on L6. This proved to be a good plan really given tyre wear on heavy fuel with softs, as it made it easier to do 7laps on softs for the 2nd stint.

The R8 went on mediums, and as other stoppers cycled through we were 1 and 2 again. A nice battle ensued throughout the race really, I got past into T1 circa Lap 9 and made my best attempt to make use of the softs and pull away. Managed a 3sec gap before pitting L13 for mediums. The R8, now on softs gradually reeled in and overtook us on L16 with little resistance. I wasn't as comfortable on the mediums with the heavier fuel loads in practice, compared to softs, so always planned to run them later in the race and I'm glad I did really. The pair of us stopped L19 for hards, which saw us come out comfortably ahead allowing for a steady final lap to bring it home.

20210102213909.jpg

Overall, a second podium and a best points haul this season (with a nice DR gain to boot) make up for the disappointment at Interlagos last week, a result I didn't expect let alone mistake free! Means I've used up my luck for the rest of the season though :lol:. Looking forward to the last 2 rounds, especially Maggiore Centre.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210102184744.jpg

Not sure why it chose not to load my livery post-race...

Last edited:
D13 Q6, so I'm either good at this track or everyone else sucks. So boring race later I get 7th. Glad I went again and that's me done.
Looking forwards to the minis had a go and it was good. Pity about the track though, if it wasn't for COD it would be a nice track IMO.

otherwise its a rewarding if tricky track

Yeah it's OK, but that's 4 times today and hardly any racing done. In total I passed maybe 10 people on track and 7 because they spun. Don't know why it's that way but for me it just made it boring.

Last edited:
It’s a very decisive circuit. Some people really get a feel for it, many don’t. It’s run so infrequently that many don’t have experience compared to say, Fuji.

Plus, that left hand complex and the chicane is notorious for ending peoples runs. Easy to get a wheel off and loop it. My goal through the race was to stay clean. Probably cost me some time, but not as much as a trip off course.

Slot 2 wasn't really different from the first. Got door #10 and qualified 17th. I decided to try the two stop but it didn't feel great to me. Finished 13th and got CRB.

Slot 3. Win was for 187 points; slightly more than slot 2 but still a bit under the first which was almost 200. Based on my previous races at Gardens, I knew this was a strong track for me, and I finally got it together and qualified 6th. Started on softs and went with the three stop again.

Race started well and got past the awkward initial lap on cold tires without losing significant time. Things almost went south on lap 4 though. A Genesis that started on pole but ended up behind me after serving a track cut penalty rammed me going into T1, causing me to collide with a Beetle that was on my left. We both fortunately didn't run straight into the wall but the Genesis driver just keeps going and gets a 1 second penalty. I personally think it should have been more severe after almost taking two cars out, but I'm just glad the game didn't punish me with a penalty for hitting the Beetle. Of course, I didn't appreciate that move and I flashed my headlights at the Genesis driver and they turned on their hazards to "apologize", so it wasn't deliberate. Genesis driver serves their penalty after the hairpin and I pass them, putting me in third. But by now, 1st and 2nd are several seconds ahead.

After pitting on lap 6 for my second soft stint, the Genesis driver is right behind me again and passes me at the hairpin, but cleanly this time. Race was fine other than that. Pitted for the hard tires on lap 19 and found myself being chased down by a Vantage on softs that was about a second and half behind. I was almost a sitting duck being on cold hard tires, but thankfully, one lap wasn't enough for them to catch up and pass me.

full

And this makes two 5th place finishes in a row for Manufacturers. :)

Last edited:
Ran a later slot than usual without many familiar names, in a little lower rated lobby than I have been, though all low A rated drivers. There must be a lot of people just over the cut line because at just under 32k, I was #3, and this seems to have been the case last few races. Crowded and competitive field.

Didn't have particularly strong FP sessions but was able to nudge my best time down in the final one after entering, which is always encouraging. Qualified poorly, though, binning it in the tough chicane in the final sector, on what was a solid lap until then. Thankfully had time to put another flyer in, barely (thanks to being raced by some moron on the out lap, and having to walk back a bit...) but only managed to start 14th.

Plan was to run a professional, workman-like race, avoid trouble, and muster a top 10 from there. Did just that, with a clean solid 10 lap opening stint on mediums, until my lap times went off. I worked up to 10th during that run, with one pass and otherwise outlasting the other drivers on different pit strategies.

Then a really good short stint on hards, where I was able to run even increasingly faster laps with the fuel load going down, and also gap the interval behind me, while on the slower tire, until coming in for the final 6-lap stint on the Softs. Had a good row with an Alfa to keep 9th, put just a little pressure on a Subaru in front of me over the last two laps, but couldn’t really threaten him, settling happily for 9th.

The points probably (hopefully?) won’t matter in the end, though they would currently be my 4th best, and count as part of my season total. But I didn’t expect a ton more and to be honest, running solid race with clean racing is more rewarding than getting too worked up over better finishes. My pace just wasn’t going to allow for that here.

Overall, exactly what I was hoping for at this stage, at a track and tire combo that didn’t play to my strengths. I just can’t get the pace out of Softs in the 911. So a clean top 10, with no DR lost, was just fine by me. Hope all the other GTP guys had a good race. It’s a cool track, just not my strong suit in this car, or on this tire setup.

edit: looked at the results, and I was the biggest mover in the race, so I feel even better about the result. Tough strategy race, and I feel like I nailed it.

upload_2021-1-2_23-14-7.jpeg

Last edited:
I ended up running all 5 slots tonight and had WAY more fun than I thought I would have! The best I could manage on the main account in 3 attempts was a 7th for 125 points that count. All 3 times I started 10th or much lower, so again qualy always puts me on the back foot. Did 3 stops for all.

Ran the final slot on my low B/ low S account and got pole by .096, ran a 2 stopper 9S / 9M / 2H and won by 5 seconds. A nice way to finish the FIA part of the night (Nurburgring here I come :bowdown:), and pretty satisfied with my efforts tonight.

Gained around 300 DR in 3 races ~36.2K, and maintained 99 SR.

Morning! I did 3 races yesterday. In first I spin, loosing few places... In second I did this(18th lap):

Then I decided to give it one last chance... Quali went very good, I set my new personal record 1.30.7xx which put me 9th on the grid(stronger lobby, in 2nd slot 30.8xx gave me 4th). Race started, everyone was very clean and respectful. About lap 3 or 4, people start to making mistakes, some left track, some get stupid penaltys for track limits or minor contact... Few places for me:) I dont know how but I did perfect race, no mistakes, no pens, strategy was 7S/7S/5M/1H. At some point of the race I was leading with 3s gap, but I had to pit for hards so finnaly finished 3rd for 153pts:) I was so tired,exhausting race ..
Edit: I get CRB

Last edited:
Congrats, I was in the same room with the Atenza. I noticed your qualifying didn't go so well then I saw you finish 9th. Nicely done. :)

Unpopular opinion (it seems :D) but I like tracks in reverse. I find reverse Gardens more flowing and around the chicane especially. I'm hopeless driving through it on the regular layout. I went 6S/6S/6S/1M/1H and looking back, I probably made one stop too many on Softs. I qualified 8th behind a Ford GT that ran into the turn 2 wall (F) and several laps later, a Ferrari span around the S-bend. I think I made one pass all race. I dropped a couple of places when I pit for Hards and Mediums to finish 7th (130p). Long strategic races are really fun, I hope for more of them.
Oh I had no idea anyone from here was in my race! What’s your psn name? Don’t even recall seeing an Atenza, but then again, you were up the front with the faster guys ;)

I can't see why they can't make everyone happy? We get 6 slots, more than the others, so they could spread them out more to cover more situations. This is something that would help Asia especially. It's fine they are so close for those who want to play all of them, but it means you need to be available over a shorter time. I would say last one should always be around midnight no matter what time the first one is.

fully agree. Working shifts myself and missing out on races when the shifts ends at 2200 hrs. if the six slots have a span of over lets say ten hours then those who do not work 9 to 5 could have a shot at racing too.

Slot 1, A/S Lobby, Door 12, Gardens II

Lobby opened up and I had @TPC_hiortintexas (forget his GTPlanet handle) and @afc5150 in the lobby. Not sure who loves Gardens II, its a weird little track that does have several spots that you can overtake, so its not terrible. If you can get in a race with someone that is respectful, it can be quite fun. I had a bit of that as well as a sample of distasteful race craft. Odd to me, I see it in every race, there is typically one driver that thinks SIM racing is a snow plow competition. That driver, rarely gets a penalty. Why is that?

I ran the 7S 7S 5M 1H strategy which worked well for me and the AMG. The Merc just felt like a pig on this track...you had to wait all day before you could get on the power. Anwyay, when the dust settled it was a p5 so I was happy with that. On to the ring!!

Slot 1, A/S Lobby, Door 12, Gardens II

Lobby opened up and I had @TPC_hiortintexas (forget his GTPlanet handle) and @afc5150 in the lobby. Not sure who loves Gardens II, its a weird little track that does have several spots that you can overtake, so its not terrible. If you can get in a race with someone that is respectful, it can be quite fun. I had a bit of that as well as a sample of distasteful race craft. Odd to me, I see it in every race, there is typically one driver that thinks SIM racing is a snow plow competition. That driver, rarely gets a penalty. Why is that?

I ran the 7S 7S 5M 1H strategy which worked well for me and the AMG. The Merc just felt like a pig on this track...you had to wait all day before you could get on the power. Anwyay, when the dust settled it was a p5 so I was happy with that. On to the ring!!

I actually really like the track... it's a tough challenge. Admittedly, I think it's a better track for Gr4 cars, as it's really hard to pass in Gr3 cars, but the tire multiplier made for a good race, with people gapping others and on different strategies all race. It was more of a realistic type race IMO, and I enjoyed it even though it wasn't a stronger setup for me.

Always enjoy your good, positive videos... keep them coming! Hope to catch you and @CurbHog (Hiortintexas) and other GTP drivers out there again soon!

Back