2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Well that was an interesting night.

Tried Nations 1st and chose the 16 gtr just to be different. It doesn't start very well, so dropped from 7th to about 11th by the 1st corner (started with Medium fronts and Hard rears). Race was decided at the end of the 2nd lap when the guy in front ran wide at the last corner, I went for the inside line and he then decided to try and pit. I got knocked into the pit and got a 5 second penalty for knocking him off the track. Managed to fight my way back up to 11th so decided that was enough of that.

Did Manufacturers twice. 1st race I had a decent qualification and went with hards for a no-stop, but people were a bit impatient and kept punting me into walls, so only managed 12th. 2nd race I qualified in 2nd and decided to pit so started with medium fronts and hard rears. This might have worked if I hadn't got completely smashed to bits at the 1st hairpin. The guy in 3rd just seemed to miss his braking and took me and the guy in 1st out. Lost about 12 places with full car damage. Tbh this ended up making the race a lot of fun as I had some really good fights with a couple of my fellow Lamborghini drivers, and after pitting on lap 9 for a set of new mediums I managed to fight my way up through the field to 3rd (1 guy didn't use hards).

VulcanSpirit, watto79 and SmokeyMR2 like this.
  2. schnick

schnick

I haven't seen a lot of the numbers but I don't think it's worse than before, I think it's about the same, but a tiny step in the right direction.
    Makes you wonder how much simulation they've run on the numbers, but then again they are probably working very hard on new content.
    We'll see how it goes next year for the official series.

JEverettL likes this.
  3. breeminator

breeminator

Did one more race with an average DR in between the first two. Interestingly (for people who are interested in this sort of thing, at least!), the factor that determines the winner's points based on average DR is not only non-constant, the function relating it to DR is non-linear. So it will be having very little impact across the top few splits. The factor relating 20th place points to average DR appears to be constant. So I still believe that it is more beneficial to be in a higher split with the new points system than it was with the previous system.

gts_new_fia_points_13112019_v2.png

Edit: I suspect the winner's points might be related to both the average DR, and the standard deviation of the DRs. The lowest rated of the 3 lobbies I looked at had the lowest std dev, and the highest rated had the highest std dev. It stands to reason that the more spread out the DRs are, the easier it is for the highest rated driver to win, and hence it makes sense to boost the winner's points for a lobby with a low std dev of DRs. We'll be able to see if this is the case if we get a top split where everyone is at or near to 75k, as it should have points for the winner that are higher, relative to average DR, than was the case in the top split lobby above, if it does indeed depend on the standard deviation of the DRs.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I'm not convinced the new points is any better to be honest. Nations race I finished in lower half of the field and got 110ish points, Manu race I finished in top half and got 170ish points. From my personal performance perspective, I did perform better in Manu but even if I run a perfect race in Nations I would struggle to match that 170 points. So yeah, if you're in the bottom half of a split, it would still be beneficial to tank your DR and finish in the sharp end of an easier grid.

Thing is, unless they make the points system completely linear for every player from top split downwards, I don't think any solution is going to be perfect for everyone. Functionally, the points system is just to qualify people for live events, so I wouldn't mind it being scrapped for every room bar top split. If you're not consistently performing well in top split, you're gonna struggle to get in a live event anyway so it makes no difference what points you have except for bragging rights. Then we'll have people stop stressing over DR and every sliver of points and just enjoy the racing for what it is.

5. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

It sounds like a good idea at first, but the only way this works is that the points wouldn't be allocated until all the races in the round have finished. That's just a lottery. Also it's a race not a time trial, the goal in a race is to win the race with the least risk possible, not to risk crashing when you're a mile in front to score more points.

Timlour and T_revisio like this.
  6. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside

Having fought hard to get back to a B/S rating after being the victim of some horrendous dirty driving (and the occasional red mist after some of it!), it was with trepidation that i put it on the line tonight in the only 2 races I managed to start.

Nations: I qualified 12th of 18 in the Xanavi Nismo, started the race with the above strategy and by the first corner I was in 6th, but due to the ridiculously "over-zealous" driving (very generous description) of those I'd passed, I was back to 11th before I'd even exited that corner.:censored: Crazy amounts of contact around me. I was 8th by the start of L2, 6th by L4. But my race was constantly compromised by the aggressive contact by 2 French drivers, with one almost pitching me into a spin with 2 hard hits at the post-dip hairpin halfway round the lap.

I was still in 6th after my pitstop (in hindsight, I would probably have been better staying out until L7), and began L8 in 5th. Laps 2-5 ranged between 1:50.556 and 1:53.044. L8 and L9 averaged 1:49.500. After the L9 pitstop, I came out in 7th but soon retook 6th with both French drivers together ahead of me. One of them pitted on L13 and so I was now in 5th again. BoP kicked in, and the 2nd French car was soon on my tail, trying to get by at the start of the final lap. My luck (and grip) ran out near the end of the lap and he got past me as i slid a bit too wide, and so the two French drivers' dubious tactics had worked.
    Under the circumstances, I'd done well though.

Manufacturers: With no idea who to race for, I decided to opt for Lexus and it proved to be a poor choice for me. I hate racing any of the Tokyo track layouts as they end up being penalty-filled orange DR-fests and tonight was no exception. My nemesis in this one raced under the Slovak flag. He'd already messed up my qualifying lap with unnecessary contact. That, and the fact that the Lexus (in my hands at least) was totally unsuited to this track left me starting the race in 20th. Opting for a no-stopper with Hards on the rear and Mediums up front, I gained a place at the start and together with the now P20 car we caught the Slovakian who by now had a 2 second penalty and had then crashed into the chicane, dropping to 18th from his 5th place start. We dropped him and I made it to 17th. The Slovakian made a mad dive up the inside of a corner on L4 and unsurprisingly hit me, but I got a 4 second penalty for it.:censored: He then tried it again as I moved to the wall after the chicane and I got another 2 seconds added! Serving that dropped me to 19th, with the Slovak behind. I didn't make it hard for him to repass me as there was no point, the Mustang (and every other car being too quick).

Nothing of note happened until L11 when a German crashed at the pit entry and retired, putting me in 18th due to another driver's pitstop. That car passed me before the end of the lap. I retook 18th when he got a penalty but again he passed me shortly after, leaving me to finish 19th and last. Except that... he crashed into the chicane and I was able to pass and stay ahead by about half a second, plus his 3 second penalty for the crash. A very underwhelming race but at least I made up 2 places and was (by dint of being the only one in the race) the top Lexus driver!

But thanks to the Slovakian, I am now down to B/A.:grumpy:

Hoping I've not made a really poor choice of manufacturer for this season...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    JEverettL likes this.
  7. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Qualified 13th for Manufactures. Was going well until I was forced to take the chicane wide to avoid a colision ahead. The .5 second penalty had me losing spots down the straight where I got squeezed into the wall by someone going by and was promptly served with a 5 second penalty. Yeah, :censored: that. Quit the race and I'm done for the night. Doesn't help that because of my ranking I keep getting put into top split rooms where I don't belong. I'm over it.

JEverettL, theschledy and Pigems like this.
  8. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

For the first time in two months, did Nations Cup (first one since the official season) Started 17th, absolute chaos off the line and into Turn 1 as it feels like a lot of people selected the 08 GTR without realizing how to actually drive it. Thanks to what felt like a car going off seemingly every few seconds, I managed to gain about 8 positions. Went with a 1 stopper as I had no practice but thought "Hey, worked in the dailies so why not here" and holy crap, it did. Finished 7th trying to chase down 6th and got 150 points, which is nice (along with the fact I got no penalties and wasn't punted off).

9. Pfei

Pfei Premium

After finishing fourth for Subaru in Exhibition 1 CSA region despite only racing four of the ten rounds, I knew Tokyo was going to be tough for the Gr. 4 WRX.

Seeded 13th in what must have been 2nd split lobby. Qualified 15th. People were making tons of mistakes and getting penalties. I must have passed like ten cars throughout the race which I did a one stop M/H. However all they needed was half a straight to pass me again. Finished 14th for 82 points.

I wasn't expecting much, didn't get much, and won't race the last slot. Tokyo and Subaru just don't mix.

DSC_0441.JPG

10. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Mixed bag to start the season tonight, messed up both Q sessions by starting on the wrong tires. In Nations I got punted hard on T1/L1 and fell back to 18th, then in Manu I was up to P2 and caught the chicane wrong on lap 16 and almost binned it completely. Not bad results though considering the major mess ups I had. :)

E5DD14C2-EB84-4C78-90CA-4263E3BB98D6.jpeg EDFAF1A3-8E90-40C8-A1B4-1A2C6D30DA68.jpeg

11. JEverettL

JEverettL Premium

From what i could tell in my lobby tonight, a lot of cars and Tokyo don't mix. Penalties were popping off like popcorn.

theschledy, dlshearon and Pfei like this.
  12. mclarenLB

mclarenLB

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

13. tankuroded

tankuroded

Last season's report:
    Nations: 362 points / 20th amongst Indonesian drivers / 1560th amongst Asian drivers
    Manufacturers: 361 points / 141th amongst Honda drivers in Asia / 1980th amongst Asian drivers

Due to Honda winning Manufacturers ES1 for Asian region, I continued with them.
    [​IMG]
    (These liveries are all based on fictional cars in GT series that are based on Honda's 1995 Le Mans entry, by the way...)

ES2 Race 1 report:
    Nations: Used Raybrig NSX, started H/M then mediums at all times. Pitted twice, had one hell of a race where I finshed 10th due to tire penalties.
    Manufacturers: Was able to avoid any wall penalties (only had one car collision penalty) and finish the race in sixth (albeit one minute slower to leader) by going for H/M again and not pitting, then taking advantage of wall penalty victims. I also broke most position gained (9th, having started 15th).

14. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Well, Manufacturers went about as well as it did last time I drove a GR.4 at Tokyo: Horrid. Understeer, bumper cars, understeer, walls. No idea what was the point of practicing or even trying, I lost spots faster then I gained and I was screwed no matter what strategy I went with. Screw this combo, really hope I don't have to deal with this anymore.

theschledy and dlshearon like this.
  15. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

Made a mistake in Manu being overly agressive trying to save fuel in the overly thirsty Mustang. Got involved in mess after mess by falling back and finished last. My one Nations run ended in four corners when I was bumped into the grass and sent me deep into the horrendous midpack in which I couldn't escape. At that point, I felt I was getting the Andrew Brooks Special. :lol:

Thankfully pulled off a podium the final Manu slot of the night.

16. Rangeraus

Rangeraus

Starting to get pretty annoyed with the increasing number of people dialling into Oceania from a separate region with laggy connections and unpredictable driving... Both were on display last night.

17. watto79

watto79

Manufacturers
    I'd categorise this race as stressful fun. A fair amount of contact in this one, not dirty driving, just lots of evenly paced drivers and the odd clumsy moment. Went with Hyundai and qualified 9th, only half a second from pole so not too bad for pace. @Lost Sheltie lined up in 2nd in his Lambo. On the exit of the first hairpin is the debris from what was an almighty crash. A slow moving GTR that I initially bump draft only to immediately catch up with them again because they had damage, a Mclaren with a penalty and a slow moving Lost Sheltie. The replay showed that the GTR forgot that you need to brake for the hairpin, fired LostSheltie into P1 and cause a huge amount of damage to multiple cars.

I settle into P7 and thanks to further penalties and a bad chicane exit for another car move into P5. All is fine until lap 8 when the cars ahead of me have a 'chicane incident' leaving a BMW off track to the right pointing perpendicular to the track. I assume they will fly across the track so hold the racing line. Unfortunately they rejoin and straighten up and I plough into the back of them. If I'd read that situation better I would have got past and likely had a much better result. As it stood I lost all momentum, rectified by Lost Sheltie catching up, not really having anywhere to go and bumping me back up to speed (thank you). The incident cost me a good 4 seconds in lap time though.

Lost Sheltie pits after that leaving me in a 4 way scrap for P2. In the dying laps Lost Sheltie on fresh tyres has driven a blinder and catches us up. He manages to get past to take an extremely well deserved 3rd. Hats off to you for an incredible recovery from being dropped to 11th through no fault of your own.

I was happy with 4th, especially as how close it was on the line. Also really pleased to be back in Manufacturers after last season. I'd forgotten how much fun it is with everyone in different cars with different strengths and weaknesses. Nations was fun, but it is a bit of a one make cup.

20191114094339.jpg
    20191113223106.jpg
    Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191113215111.jpg

18. Smiddy_11

Smiddy_11

Need some help guys,
    I have run some practice for manufacturers on Saturday night and have found the tyre wear horrendous! Im driving for Ferrari and even with -5 brake balance and TCS1 its a struggle to keep the rear in check and make the tyres last. Anyone got some tips ?

19. darth_tails

darth_tails

Well I don't know what to make of the new points system because I don't understand it.

I also just got back to DR B/SR S and my races were pretty chaotic.

I'll post a full report later but for Nations I got a whopping 34 points for finishing 7th and in Manufacturers an "exciting" 17 points
    for finishing 18th and probably going to loose my DR B on Saturday

Everyone above seems to have got more points so I take it the best points are for A+ and A rank drivers now?

theschledy and dlshearon like this.
  20. theschledy

theschledy

I didn't race last night, but looking at the points something looks off. But part of that could be down to Tokyo dishing out penalties at every corner. Never done a real race at any of those tracks, probably never will.

Making my FIA return Saturday. Haven't driven the Subaru in a while, and Nurb is definitely not a good track for me. Will be saying goodbye to some DR.

dlshearon likes this.
  21. breeminator

breeminator

That's basically what you get when you choose Ferrari! The Gr.3 Honda also struggles with rear tyre wear. I haven't driven the Gr.3 Ferrari all that much, but I did try it out for the Spa daily race, and it seemed even worse than the Honda for the back end becoming slidey. OTOH, the Gr.4 cars for Honda and Ferrari are very good, whereas most of the FR cars have the opposite problem in Gr.4, they wear the front tyres more. So overall, you're looking to get your best results from the Gr.4 races, and any points you can pick up in Gr.3 races are a bonus.

Smiddy_11, PirovacBoy and Cerebral303 like this.
  22. tspottr723

tspottr723

I was having server issues all night and couldnt log in from NJ. Dont know what the issue was w the server, other onling games had no ossue that I could see. Did anyone else experience difficulties starting gt sport?

23. HellzFire

HellzFire

Yesterday's race was looking good for me but unfortunately it didnt end as I wanted. Nations I got immense dirty air on my hotlap because I caught a car mid lap even tho I left like 5s of gap for safety, that made me start in 3rd, and with these Gr2 cars it's impossible to follow really because of the dirty air. Every time I caught the leader I would lose time. Tried an agressive strategy, thought it was worth the try.

For manufacturers only managed to make my first hotlap count, still good enough for pole. On the race I was getting hit almost every lap from behind and wasn't able to open a gap because of that and the massive slipstream on this track. Decided to change my strategy midrace which helped me to get away from almost everyone, end race was intense.

Dezcom, Pfei and dlshearon like this.
  24. dlshearon

dlshearon

I done the first slots for both races and had no issues and didn’t see any disconnects. C/S lobbies.

25. sundaydriving

sundaydriving

I think the points change is a step in the right direction.

Next up, get rid of fuel burning in quali. I don't think I can go near FIA races again until they sort this out.

26. 05XR8

05XR8

I'm not complaining at all. I'm waiting for the car simply because I like it and was anticipating the real life GT4 car when the A90 was announced.

I don't care about any META cars. You're assuming too much about what I'm expecting. I enjoying racing to watch my replays.
    Usually, when PD debut a car, it winds up being the fastest or best performing car before the next BoP adjustment. That's the unfair advantage, against cars that are in a current series.

My whole arguement was about PD waiting to release the car(for whatever reason), a month after the Season started. Whether anyone else cares to use the new Supra or not.

Pigems likes this.
  27. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

They should just turn fuel usage off for qualifying.

ddm, Sander 001, NosOsH and 2 others like this.
  28. breeminator

breeminator

I think they actually intend it to be another dimension of differentiating between cars. A car might be at a disadvantage in the race because it burns more fuel, but it becomes an advantage for qualifying.

TeddyWestside likes this.
  29. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside

I'm curious. Why is that a problem? I see it as a tactical challenge, to lighten the car for a faster time. The only reason I'd have for abandoning it would be if you could simply set your fuel limit before qually, as would be the case in real life, e.g. Formula 1. That would certainly make more sense.

30. sundaydriving

sundaydriving

Its don't see how its a tactical challenge. If you don't care where you start do a normal quali, so not really tactical. If you slightly care then you burn fuel for 7 or 8 mins, question your sanity/why you play the game, then do a lap because otherwise you will find yourself starting way down where you should be having to fight past slower players most of the race race.

I agree, each player setting their fuel level during quali would be best or just don't have fuel in quali at all.

ddm, Pigems and ShiftingGears like this.