2019/20 FIA Exhibition Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by nissman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. watto79

watto79

Yep, exactly that.

2. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

I've used the Mazda VGT exclusively in Gr.1 races since it's the quickest of my gifted Gr. 1 cars. I haven't actually purchased any Gr. 1 machines outside of the Group C cars (which should be its own in-game category in my opinion). While the hybrids are obviously faster around most tracks, I don't think they're interesting enough to be worth spending money on (though I'd definitely use them if I was gifted them).

The Mazda is quick at tracks that have more high speed sections and a lack of hard braking zones, since it has a much higher top speed than the hybrids, but the hybrids will destroy it in mid-speed acceleration. It was very competitive in the last Gr. 1 race at Kyoto Driving Park (I finished 4th with another Mazda in 3rd, but a Toyota STILL won my race despite the Tomahawk apparently being the go-to car). The Mazda will be quick down the Kemmel straight, and towards the end of the lap, but in all the other sections expect the hybrids to be quicker. I'm still gonna use it tonight though.

3. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

I remember getting completely monstered of the start by the hybrids in that last gr1 race, hybrids are definitely best choice around spa though

Pigems likes this.
  4. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

I somehow managed to qualify near the front at Kyoto (that usually only happens at ovals or in the open-wheel cars for me), and had a few other non-hybrids to be a buffer between me and the other hybrids :D (except for the Toyota that started on pole and eventually won).

Pigems and Adam Barber like this.
  5. Browneskiii

Browneskiii

Whats the concensus on today's Manufacturer race strategy?

Going from my limited practice, there's very little difference between a 1 stop going from S/M to H, a 1 stop going from M/H to S, a 2 stop from M/H to S to S and a 3 stop from M/H to S to S to S. My (extrapolated) times say that a 2 stop is marginally quicker than anything else, but only about 3 or 4 seconds between all strategies.

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

Pigems, benjoi84 and Pfei like this.
  6. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

I tried a couple practice races, where I went M/H, S, S, and someone else went M/H, S. In race 1, I finished 0.2 seconds ahead. In race 2, he finished 0.6 seconds ahead. I'm in the GTR, so it's a bit rough on the front tires, forcing me to go with the 2 stop. I think it's entirely dependant on your car and driving style.

Pigems likes this.
  7. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

First Nations race was a disaster, lost 7tenths on my fastest lap in qualifying which put me 11th instead of 7th and then had the first few laps from hell getting a couple of penalties for people hitting me and being sent to the shadow realm lap 1 at the end if the kemmel straight. Don't normally have more than one go at the FIA races but I will after that.

Pigems likes this.
  8. stpatty

stpatty

I tried a 2 stop and 3 stop in my practice in the GT-R and there was basically no difference. I might try with hards instead of mediums on the front for the 2 stop but there was a lot less difference than I was expecting.

Pigems likes this.
  9. breeminator

breeminator

Today was my first Manufacturer race of this season. I decided to give Citroen a try this time, having gone with Honda last season. It went pretty well. I qualified 2nd, with 0.05 seconds separating 4th from 1st. Thankfully, the first few drivers all kept it sensible at the start, first time that has happened for a few races. I felt I had better race pace than the pole driver, and when he got a 0.5 second penalty for running a bit wide, I took the lead. He pitted very late, so I ended up behind him again, but pitting so late wasn't optimal, and he finished 10 seconds behind me. Total race time was 7 seconds slower than I've done in practice, but a solid performance:

manu 20112019 result 1st.jpg

Pigems, Timlour, JEverettL and 5 others like this.
  10. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Well...

20191120184937.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191120175318.png

Took pole for the 17:00 Nations with a 1:58.453 (almost exactly a second up on my best practice QT). Survived a powerslide coming out of La Source on the opening lap and kept it as clean and tidy as I could while others scrapped behind. The TS050 worked beautifully on the one-stop (7M, 8H, no refuel), and despite a couple of tiny mistakes I was able to build a dominant lead and soak the pressure fairly well. Crossed the line just under two seconds ahead of the second-placed TS050.

239 points and an over-3,000 point DR boost later...

VulcanSpirit_Nations_1920_EX2_R3_A+.png

...I am officially an A+ driver (for now)!

:D :gtpflag: :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  11. mclarenLB

mclarenLB

Gonna get stomped in my Hyundai again ayyyyyyyy

SmokeyMR2 and Pigems like this.
  12. zavisic_

zavisic_

One of my favourite races of this year so far. Hope you enjoy it too, now woth commentary also!

KepleroGT, banckzy, Pigems and 4 others like this.
  13. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

:censored: these races!!

Pole was taken with a 1:58.7, my previous lobby I'd qualified with a 1:58.2, so hot lap for real? Didn't get the battery fully charged, made a mess of it, 1:59.4. I had given myself some time so I could follow it in an emergency! and managed a 1:59.2 without the charged battery, 7th on the grid.

Tyres like ice into La Source, luckily had a couple of seconds on the guy behind and we tried to settle in. Then two guys ahead on L2 serving penalties decide to get punchy with each other into Les Combes, I try to sneak through a gap as they slow each other down and one into another into me, off, into the wall and from there it all unravelled for a couple of laps and I was down in 13th

Recovery drive went well (fed up of recovery drives!), finished a comfortable 6th, 189 points, but nearly 30s off the kind of race times I'd been doing in practice.

Today I have the opportunity to go again, what's the last slot usually like?!:boggled:

Pigems likes this.
  14. Underthewhip

Underthewhip

I didn't know anything about mandatory change on Manufacture. I started on soft by mistake and swapped for hard after 6 laps. Finished on hard. Why would you need to 2 stop??

Was going to do second attempt now but got dc just when event was about to start. So frustrating when I practiced an hour before. Waste of time.

Pigems likes this.
  15. breeminator

breeminator

It's more of a lottery, due to smaller numbers of players, so the DRs tend to be more spread out. You can end up in a lobby with unusually low or high ratings relative to you. Having said that, it's not as late as the last manufacturers slot was before the clocks went back.

Pigems and Ashthebash like this.
  16. kjeldsen

kjeldsen

- DELETED -

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    O_Maverick_O and Pigems like this.
  17. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Think I'll reluctantly keep my points then. One day I'll nail one of these races rather than bottle it inside 15 minutes of matching!

Pigems likes this.
  18. stpatty

stpatty

What's the most efficient way of putting a replay on youtube?

Pigems likes this.
  19. Pfei

Pfei Premium

You can record the replay with PS4 and upload to YT from the console.

Pigems likes this.
  20. DK

DK Premium

I had a horrendous qualifying in the Slophy, I just had rotten luck with traffic and ended up 17th. So, I decided to take a gamble and go with the Medium/Hard split at the start. To my relief, the car was still stable, and I slowly climbed up as I stayed out as long as possible, which ended up being 11 laps before the death process drew near. By the time I made my switch to Softs, I was tussling for 3rd, before dropping to 7th upon exiting. That became 5th as the duo ahead of me did their best impression of Rosberg & Hamilton in 2016. 5th became 1st as the rest ditched their Hards, but a Ferrari was closing in fast. I spent most of the final two laps holding him off, surviving on the gains made in the infield, but ultimately I bottled it, drifting too far wide out of T4 (Schlossgold), gifting the win to the Ferrari and trailing him home by just over a second.

I don't think I'll get so lucky next time out, but hey, 150 points is 150 points.

SmokeyMR2, banckzy, Pigems and 3 others like this.
  21. Famine

Famine Administrator

Endless phalanx of utter tosspots tonight. Also got a 3s penalty for being rammed out of turn 3.

SmokeyMR2 and Pigems like this.
  22. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

The schoolboy part of me s******s.
    I digress (and regress...)

I had a bog standard Nations race, as I realised I not only haven't much experience round Spa in this game, but I also haven't ever raced a Gr1 car there yet and the braking points are all different. I kept finding seconds on every lap to begin with. I finished mid pack. Which is terrible in a field of 20.

I then had a few beers as I had to wait for a shopping delivery. Went back for the manufacturers at 9, and I think the Mustang is a good car for the circuit, the weight of the car helps it over the inside kerbs of the first and second turns, and the rest of the track is quite forgiving for a heavy understeering muscle car. I went for M front and H rear for the first stint, then after 7 laps, losing time on the last lap, but giving me 5 laps twice on soft and eventually a comfortable lead by the end and a win.

Since my PS Plus is now finished and I can't afford to renew it I'll have to take a break from online racing, but what a way to go out - fastest lap too!

Pigems and Pfei like this.
  23. GT5Power

GT5Power

One race in Manufacturers tonight. I got my 650S to P9 on the grid, which I was quite pleased with considering that I was in top split. The race, however, was a different story. I went wide at T3 early in the race and lost 4 positions and my focus, which I never seemed to regain. I tumbled down the order while struggling a lot on my tires and generally putting in an appalling drive. T1 was my nemesis as I got 6 penalties there. I came into the final sector defending P13 for my life, but one of the guys behind me found a small gap and sent it, then the other one went around the outside of the last corner to take P14 from me by a hundredth of a second at the line. Didn't even bother to check the points, that was a race to forget if I've ever had one. :(

24. stpatty

stpatty

Sorry about the terrible replay manipulation. If you skip to 0:47 you see the start of my final stint tonight. I included the lap before it all kicks off to show you what led to it, and I tried to include as many angles of the main incident as possible. I'd trim the video down a bit and remove the IDs if I knew how, but I don't and I'm going again in the last race in five minutes so I can't anyway. Let me know what you think of this, or if you think I'm an idiot for what happened.

Ed - I got disconnected while trying to enter the last race, so I guess that's out. 120 points that should have been 170. ****.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Pigems and Ashthebash like this.
  25. pantherjag

pantherjag

Nations was good...11th to 5th in the Porsche 919 having screwed qualifying and given myself 1 lap with full fuel. A 59.0 under the circumstances was ok

Race pace was very strong doing the hybrid 1 stop but in reality the passes all came from mistakes and jumping folk in the pits. Caught the lead group for last 3 laps but moment hit dirty air my charge was halted. Happy with result and 243 points anyway

Manufacturers was a tale of what could have been. Lined up 8th in the Citreon on the M/H hybrid tyres. Unfortunately misjudged the closing speed on the alpha as approached turn one and bumped them. No real harm to them but in my haste to recover floored the accelerator and spun out down to last 12 seconds of lead.

Again very strong race pace, mistakes from others and an undercut moved me up to 8th by finish and only 14 seconds off lead. Good recovery by all accounts but left with a feeling I had thrown away at least a podium and perhaps the win with a stupid mistake. Target is 200 points per round and 8th still achieved that so target achieved I guess

DK, dlshearon, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  26. schnick

schnick

This time was able to take advantage of the aliens travelling to Monaco, Megane Trophy Gr4 at RBR worked a treat, RM on the front RH on the rear, didn't know how long the softs were going to last and probably came in 1 or 2 laps too late but ended up in 2nd with enough points to maintain S rank as a top 5 Renault driver in Oceania without having to race again this season, good thing too because I'm only available for one more round.

LeGeNd-1, Pigems and JEverettL like this.
  27. Keith2324

Keith2324

I just did the 1st time slot Manu race. I'm in the Mustang. 1st stint 10 laps hard front/med back. Then switched to soft for the remainder. Managed to get 2nd place. Just throwing it out there for anyone who hasn't raced yet.

Keith.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Pigems, JEverettL and Pfei like this.
  28. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Weird night. Bottled qualifying in the 1st nations race by running wide at Pouhon on my fast lap so started 16th. Didn't even make it to the chicane in the race before a guy clipped me going into the chicane, and then I got hit a couple more times going into the same chicane on next 4 laps, so just accepted the race was over and quit. Went and did other things for a couple of hours and then the racing bug nibbled me again.

Then tried the Manufacturers race and bottled the qualifying in that so started in 17th. First few laps were the standard Red Bull Ring mess with people missing braking points and clattering in to people. I got hit a couple of times but managed to make my way through the worst of the carnage, but by that point there was a big gap to the top 10 so I had very little chance to do much. Managed to have some decent fun with a couple of drivers but 12th was as far as I could go, just didn't seem to have the pace tbh.

Finally thought I would try the last nations slot. Did a decent qualy lap this time and got 2nd place, chose the hybrid tyre setup for the Audi and tried to take it easy to begin with (Was just trying to save tyres and fuel to begin with) . Nearly binned it at La Source on lap 3, but managed to keep my 2nd place and then caught up to the leader who seemed to be burning his tyres much faster than me. Tried a couple of passes, but didn't make them stick, so tried to calm down and save a little fuel, and when he pitted on lap 7 I pushed for a lap and then pitted. Came out in 2nd behind someone who hadn't pitted, but about 2 seconds ahead of the guy I was racing, and when the guy ahead pitted I had about a 6 second lead which I kept to the end. First win in ages.

So last, 12th and then 1st. Weird night.

29. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Nah, you're not an idiot for that! Aston driver is an idiot for reacting to his penalty in that manner (which is what it looked like, he was pretty clean other than that), but a penalty of 4s for that was shall we say, excessive

Pigems likes this.
  30. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Just finished the 19:40 Nations race, and the end result wasn't bad considering I was the only non-hybrid on the grid (Mazda LM55 VGT). I qualified 19th out of 19 cars, partly due to having the brake bias set wrong for qualifying (I had it set to understeer more under braking since I'd be running H/M on my first stint). I picked up a couple spots due to mistakes, then spent most of the race around 15th, then picked off a couple more spots in the final couple of laps while battling someone in a Toyota. I was looking at finishing an OK 12th...until the final chicane. The person in 10th just...pulled off the track for no reason at the final chicane. He had 10th solidly, but just decided to basically park it a few hundred feet from the finish. :boggled: That bumped me up to 11th, then 9th place spun out on the exit of the final chicane, then spun again when he tried to get going. I passed him just before the line to get 10th and 107 points, despite having completely the wrong car for this race.

Pigems likes this.