2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
C/S Race - Porsche.

Qualified 16th, the usual (for me) procedure. Seems people are unable to spread out a little and give each other space, then it turns into a door banging exercise from some.

Made my way up to 14th on lap 4, before I lost control exiting the corner before the S’s. Went back to 17th, then dropped a further place back to 18th.

Really feared the worst at the is point, but not long after found a nice rhythm. Lap 1 and 4 apart, kept my times in the 58-59sec throughout the race.

Around lap 10 I was really surprised to see people entering the pits for tyres, and I started to move up the field. By lap 13 I was up to 11th.

On Lap 16 I moved up to 5th, more other drivers making mistakes and pitting, where I stayed until the end of the race.

One race and out with 28pts.

Last edited:
The importance of tow in qualifying is really daft. Often saw 10+ people lining up for a tow in the final corner because it buys you about 0.3 seconds (which is worth 10-15 positions on the grid in top split)

It's also why some people eventually nail a great result after 3-4 attempts. Because it takes that long to nail a lap when they luck into a great tow where someone doesn't bail on their lap in front of you

It's really not how it should work.

Couple of races to forget for different reasons. First race started 4th after a decent qualifying run and it just went downhill from there. I managed to mess up turn 4 multiple times during the race, spinning out on multiple occasions. It was however due to a combination of people pitting, raw pace compared to those around me and mistakes from others that I crawled back from last to 10th.

Not satisfied with that result I went in the second race. Started 8th this time after not really getting a clean qualifying lap and turn 4 was much, much better this time, gaining two positions from others who did what I did on the first attempt. I had a better exit on the hairpin than the guy in front which set me up for a potential move at turn 1. The guy positioned himself in the middle of the track meaning I had the run down the normal line, but I unfortunately dipped a wheel on the crap stuff which sent me in to a power slide that I couldn't do anything about but hit him wide. I decided to do the right thing and wait for him, dropping me down to 20th again, but both of us were actually quite pacy and made up positions, but this lobby was much, much stronger than the previous one (31k lobby, needed a 55:9 to get anywhere near the front) so only managed to get back to 13th. I decided that even though I had the pace, lady fate wasn't playing ball today so left it at that.

I noticed watching Eerieisss, Zorzil, my lobbies and others that there was a lot of foul play in this combo. In my second lobby we had an Aston Martin who was intentionally using people as a braking point at turn 1 and going narrow on the final hairpin so that if anyone got a run on the outside, they were quickly shoved in to the pit lane with no easy way out of it.

was home just in time for qualifying. Had a good lap and was third. Race started and it was just horrible. bumped at corner 1 and lost a place, no penalty, bumped again lost a place, no penalty, in lap 3 a car came alongside and sideswiped me into the gravel, on purpose, one of the worst incidents I had experiences in ages and off course no penalty,
was now 11th and then a Viper hit me and sent me off, no penalty. A few laps later back in 10th a Porsche sent me into the wall, no penalty and I had damage now. A fellow Peugeot came alongside and shoved me to the grass, no penalty. I was fed up so much by then, no more being a gentleman and the next corner I returned the favour and sent the Peugeot into the wall, been a long time since I had done something like that and the result was.....no penalty.
was 16th then and DFL(4 had already quit).
10 laps of a very violent race, saw so many drivers ramming each other, and never any penalty was given, it was like the penalty system was switchedd off!
In fact can not even call this a race, this had nothing to do with racing! This was just ridiculous. The new penalty system has ruined the game for me. Nobody was overtaking, only ramming to make up places.
Decided to quit also and done with it. it just not worth it. Think I will do Resident Evil or Call of Duty from now on, much less violent

Could only do the last slot and on reflection that is just as well as it's wasnt an especially exciting race so I wouldn't want to do it more than once.

Qualified 20th and finished 17th in the Lexus RC F. Stretched the mediums to lap 20 pitted in for softs to finish. Places I made were from folks plebbing rather then me overtaking and overall just a bit boring.

Anyone have any hints for racing in the wet at Spa next week other than don't do it. I did a little practise to wind down after this race and it didn't go well. Just couldn't keep it on the track and that is without other cars in the mix

Last edited:
What a difference a race makes. Went into the last slot. Set a couple of good qualifying laps and was sat 8th. Then I was a little down in the first sector but must have nailed the hairpin which was a trouble corner for me as I crossed the line on my third lap purple with a 57.0 which was my fastest lap of the week. I backed out to see what the damage would be. Only 2 people went into the 56's so I sat in 3rd on the grid. Not bad plenty to play for. Remembered to switch to meds and kept nervously checking them as the timer counted down. Got a decent start but 2nd broke a bit too hard into turn 1 which meant I had to sweep to the inside to avoid him and became a decent overtake. Unfortunately it held him up a bit and he was swallowed by the melee behind. This allowed myself and the Merc ahead to pull away. I lapped a consistent low to mid 58's and whilst I slipped to 3-4 seconds off the leader by lap 17 when he pitted; I was able to pull a 4 second gap to 3rd which kept switching through out the race. I then went deep into the hairpin and clipped the wall. This allowed the Spanish NSX behind to get within a second. Into turn 1 he was still half a second back but still tapped me. I caught the mini slide and he did back off. But then tried another bomb into the hairpin. Slightly shoved me wide but made it work. He then went straight into the pits. (Why make a risky move on your pit lap?!) I carried on and had a lead of around 6 seconds to the guy I overtook at turn 1. I just had to keep it on the track. I did so despite the Merc getting back to second and slowly start to catch me. I could feel the nerves creep up. Thankfully I didn't let the lapped ghosts distract me. Crossed the line for my 9th win and 2nd FIA victory.
20210317_220119.jpg

I think due to the consistency I showed in this race to drive well given my horrendous race earlier makes this my best win so far.
I complemented the German in the Merc who came 2nd as he drove really well and without the pit would have won by a country mile.
Sometimes it's worth not listening to your head. :D

I did the two last slots. The first one was bad.. Door #20, q18, p13. 39 points.

SoI went again. This time I was doing the same strategi, qualfying on softs, but non-stopping on medium.
I had door #20 this time, qualified as p15 and had better pace.
Firsr lap I went up 3 or 4 spots because people can't drive with ice cold tires.
Then I was barge passed at the hairpin by a BMW. I slipped behind and fot a run in T1, rhen he bargepassed me in the hairpin again.
I settled in behind, and hung behind him for 2 laps, every time having to lift ib the rear downhill part so lined up an atrack and went side to side towards the kink downhill.
He wanted none of that so he began sideswiping me. Guess what little BMW, I am in a Mustang with TCS1...
He bounced back into the wall and I didn't see him again.
Some ruckus innthe top 4 gave me another spot in the last lap.
Happy with the results and most happy with my consistency.
PS_App_20210317_100650.jpeg
PS_App_20210317_100642.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have any hints for racing in the wet at Spa next week other than don't do it. I did a little practise to wind down after this race and it didn't go well. Just couldn't keep it on the track and that is without other cars in the mix

The one thing I tried in the race was to play with the fuel mix as less power needed except for the straights, not possible to do this in practice but it worked out well in the race rather that turning TC way up.

Another fun week of FIA racing started today, and another much needed finish was achieved.

I felt good in FP and a few practice races, so when qualifying was all said and done, P18 wasn’t what I had expected. But the race started smooth. Turn 1 and 4 took its share of victims and slowly moved my way up to the top 10. Was catching a group ahead when the guy at the back missed his braking point and promptly pushed his fellow competitor in front wide, boom! 2 more spots. Ran 7th-8th most of the race after that until a FF car ahead saw his inevitable tire fade go to the extreme, seeing himself overtaken by myself and the group behind.

Started next to a Jag in the race and overtook him early, but he must’ve been sitting and saving his tires as when he got by on lap 22, I was toast. Just had the slightest extra grip out of the corners that my McLaren didn’t. Ended up with a CRB in 7th. Enough points that’ll probably count as one of my two, but still not enough overall after a bad run at Seaside to call it a season.

Last edited:
Victory!!!

thank god I went with on the board to see what people were doing strategy-wise.

still...I barny’d one thing. Qualifying.

I had no clue you can change tire compounds between qualifying and the race. I qualified 6th on mediums. Moved into 3rd by the second lap. Went into first by the 3rd. Lost the lead twice after I overcooked the left sweeper before the downhill esses. Regained the lead quickly the first time. Second time I got lucky as first place went in to pit

I think I was the only no-stopper out there. As long as I was conservative with my breaking points and took it easy down the esses on the last 5 laps, the no-stop was eazy-peazy.

Another solid run in the Jag after a win last week at Seaside.

Slot 1 - Door 7, A/S lobby ~32.0K DR, 157 points for win

Matched my practice time on the softs and was surprised to line up in 8th, 0.3 off pole. Switched to the mediums to run a no stopper and everything just fell into place. Spent the first ten laps in a clean and hard battle with a group that had fallen a few seconds from the lead pack and emerged in 6th. Worked up a gap of 3 seconds to 7th when on lap 18, 3 of the leaders pit for tires, leaving me in 3rd. The guys right behind me didn't pit either, so I was pretty safe to the end. Crossed the line 1 second ahead of one of the guys on new tires.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210317194004.jpg

144 points that count and a tidy 1,200 DR ~33.2K

Finally some success in FIA!

During practice (in a GT-R), got my lap time down to 56.7, which given that the top drivers were posting 55.0-55.5 I thought was pretty damned good. Qualifier, I let everyone pass me so I'd have no traffic, and qualified 3rd. Race starts, few laps in, 2nd place runs wide at turn 5, I'm up to 2nd. Few more laps, and I run wide at the same place and I'm back to third. Started on softs, pit on lap 16/17? to swap to mediums and drop to 7th....next lap around when everyone else pitted was back to 3rd. Held on to that for my first FIA podium. First and second were an F-Type and an Aston Martin; so much for that FWD supremacy theory LOL.

Awesome time; thanks to those who recommended that qualifying strategy a few weeks back!

Well, it's been a few weeks. Crazy work project took a few weeks and then it took a few days to recover when it was all over. I tried a few practice laps last week at DTS but I wasn't feeling the Gr 4 Aston on that track. (To be honest, I'm not feeling the Gr 4 Aston all that much, at all.) I put in a few practice laps and then a practice race this morning and was fairly convinced I wouldn't absolutely embarrass myself my first race back and gave it a go.

Qualy was pretty close to a disaster. I bin it on T4 my first flying lap then get caught in some wicked traffic after that. I back out for fresh tires and try again. I set a marginally better Q time but it's only good enough for P18.

Luckily, about half the field thought this was a one-stop. Also, several people in front of me binned it at either T4 or in the hairpin. I made up several places by being consistent, even if my pace wasn't all that great. Around L18 an Argentinian who one-stopped pushed me into the wall in the esses after T4. Of course, given the lack of any penalties at all in this current iteration, I'm sure he felt quite smug and satisfied about it. But all in all, a solid race given the long break away from the game. I mostly gained places by people binning, running wide or pitting but hey, sometimes strategy and consistency pays off. I'm good with a P10 one and done.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210317180059.jpg

Slot 3 in the Lexus in a B lobby. Running a no stop and did 24 laps in the 58's. One epic blast from behind to make a 1.08 lap and a top 5 finish turns to 11th. But a heartfelt apology from the rammer. Yeah, right after Candice Swanepoel showed up at the front door with the winning lottery ticket. Fun race no matter.

These are the people racing SR S now

What a waste, he ends up 5th with a red S, started back in 15th and barged all the way up. Bet his brake pads were cold as ice.

He wasn't the only one, just the worst one. Not my favorite combo, don't know if I will run again. Started 5th finished last. Not off track from my own mistakes at all, Pitted at lap 18 and waited for the nightmare to be over.

Well that was a fun week of practice leading up to this race but honestly had no idea on how it'd go. Entered the first slot and got the trifecta on horrible qualifying basically dead last then I was fuming about it and forgot to put on Mediums tires.... then PD hits me with the disconnect after few laps and 1.5k DR loss :lol: it can only go up from here, right?

Entered the 2nd slot and went with my gut going ahead with solo qualifying lap which paid off with 55.8 in the Ford good enough for pole and rest was history with guys fighting early on while I drove away. 256 points finally got something on the board!

PS_App_20210318_010437.jpeg
PS_App_20210318_010446.jpeg
PS_App_20210318_010431.jpeg

Great seeing fellow GTP member out on the track @F1Bernardo always a pleasure! Looks like you moved up quite nicely for some great points, well done! Good race with that Aston :cheers:

I spent the past week feeling like I would regret racing here because I kept getting destroyed on pace in practice races. My pace didn't feel particularly bad, but I found myself being caught and passed way more often than I was doing the catching and passing. I decided to do at least one attempt to see if I was as bad as I thought I was.

Slot 2: Qualified 11th with a 56.2, disconnected on the grid walk before it even got to my car...

Slot 3: Qualified 7th with a 56.07 without a draft, finished 6th. Gained 4 spots after T4 and the final corner claimed several people, but lost 2 spots to the 2 cars that qualified directly behind me but had better race pace, then lost another one right at the finish. I was running 5th, but 4th and 3rd fought each other on the last lap and slowed each other way down, causing me to catch them in the esses. I had no where to go, so I also had to slow down, which allowed 6th to get right on me going into the last corner. I went defensive and covered the inside, but the Viper in 6th just...drove around me on the outside. I was able to pick up the slipstream of the 2 cars in front on the run to the finish, while the Viper had no slipstream, but it still wasn't enough to get back ahead of the Viper, so I finished 6th by 0.011s.

I also spent most of the race running last of the 3 Corvettes in this race, as the other 2 were in the Top 5 for most of it, but I beat one of them after they died in the esses as the end result of being caught up in an accident that began at T4. Most of the race I took it easy into T1, focusing on hitting the apex even if I had to brake early, and I thankfully had 2 smart racers behind me who didn't try to send it up the inside. I let the Merc that qualified right behind me go by on the front straight early in the race after they got the better run out of the final corner, then just sat in their slipstream hoping to be dragged up to the cars in front. Eventually I lost the slipstream of the Merc, and had to yield to a Hyundai after messing up T4 and getting the esses wrong as a result. I just tried to survive this race and not make any mistakes, which was made much easier due to the lack of people behind me insisting on trying to win at T1, Lap 1. I was rewarded with 213 points for my 6th place, which was better than I thought I would get this week. Given that the other Corvettes had more pace than me in this race, it appears I'm not getting anywhere near the maximum out of the Gr.4 version.Even so, it was easily my best drive in a Manufacturer's race in quite a while, despite not being particularly fast.

Last edited:
The Toyota 86 was completely useless here. Poor qualifying because I always lose my tow, stayed at the back, finished at the back. Nothing could be done with it.

I had high hopes the 86 would have an advantage with the pit stop time changes, but it's been showing no pace.

Spa will be a joke in a turbo FR car.

Last edited:
The importance of tow in qualifying is really daft. Often saw 10+ people lining up for a tow in the final corner because it buys you about 0.3 seconds (which is worth 10-15 positions on the grid in top split)

It's also why some people eventually nail a great result after 3-4 attempts. Because it takes that long to nail a lap when they luck into a great tow where someone doesn't bail on their lap in front of you

It's really not how it should work.
I'm nowhere near top split but yeah, I qualified P16 in my lobby with a 56.2 solo lap, when P3 to P13 were all in 56.0xx

I guess I have to start learning how to qualify in a group, because I made it up to P8 in the end, so the race pace was there.

Or they could disable slipstream during qualifying but I don't see that coming, it would have been done before if PD cared...

This race was fun, especially for someone who hasn't driven FIAs in a while. Qualified P7, only a few tenths from a top 5 spot. I didn't have the best start into turn 4/5, but with a no-stop on Mediums I had to treat them well the whole time. Lost 5th with around 10 laps to go, but recoverd with a bit of a dive at Turn 1 to P6, which was around what I wanted going onto a late night race.

Last edited:
This may have already been covered in the 100+ pages in this thread, but I am confused...

I entered my first FIA manufacturer Championship race yesterday racing for Ferrari. I entered three times.

First race, Q7, P11, awarded 6 points.
Second race, Q4, P16, awarded 4 points.
Third race, Q4, P1, awarded 4 points.

I know that only your last race is the result that you are left with, but 4 points for a race win? Is this right?

At the time of the race I was DR D, SR S. The lobby was full of drivers with the same DR and SR rating and I get less points for a Q4 and P1 than finishing P11. What is it about the points system am I missing?

I understand the points awarded depend on factors such as the level of competition in the lobby and clean racing etc, but I was expected more than just four points for an FIA race win. I made no contact with other drivers or the barriers, I moved up three positions and won the race...4 points?

Feeling robbed...

CPP

Latest Posts

Back