2019 FIA Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by bduddy, Jan 23, 2019.

1. schnick

schnick

If I joined race 3, may have bumped it to 2k but I just didn't want to gamble my 18xx away, just regretting not practicing more, good job on the win.

I did seaside as part of my manu testing before buying a one way ticket on the pug train, felt decent bit unstable on exit probably need to adjust my driving style again, still getting used to it but need to practice Aston for Nurburgring.

2. HellzFire

HellzFire

Focused on Manufacturers today, so no Nations. Having both races on the same track in such different classes was a big no for me.

Only did one slot, the first one. Qualyfing was good even tho my lap wasnt fast, no draft at all for most of us in CSA by the higher laptimes. Race went ok, managed to hold my position in the end which guaranteed Jag some great points.

TRL LIGHTNING likes this.
  3. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

Last night’s manufacturers race was the epitome of that dick-measuring form of racing that I absolutely despise. I’ve never had an enjoyable Gr.3 race in any context in the almost 2 years the game has been out but with every physics update the cars have gotten easier/simpler to drive so it’s all about who can overdrive the most. Just throwing cars around hoping they stick is not fun to me at all. The joy of Gran Turismo versus other games has always been fighting with the cars and the tracks, the limits were easy to figure out and were pretty low since the cars slid around all the time, but now they just stick. That’s why I’ve always preferred the road car racing, it’s something GT has mastered and the other racing “sims” can never figure out. The Gr.3 stuff is the same garbage that every other game does (and does better). Gr.4 is turning into that as well now they’ve started running the races on RS and RM tires. RH was already more than enough grip. If you have enough time to focus on defending against other players rather than just keeping your car on the pavement, it’s just not GT.

Anyways, raced the Lancer at Le Mans, overdrove the entire race, the car was actually extremely competitive there, in an alien’s hands it could easily challenge for a win. The 2nd split race I was in was pretty much dominated by the slower handling-focused cars (it seems that the two classes are now opposites since the FR power cars are best at Gr.4). Seeded 15th and qualified 16th (with no slipstream) in a 2300 point lobby, spent pretty much the whole race in precarious positions. Dive bombed by other people pretty much everywhere, but I also had to drive like a moron as well to compensate for the car’s slowness, had to way overdrive the entry and centre of the corners so I kept being part of accordion stack ups, and had to pull some stupid blocks which I hate doing but which was a byproduct of the Gr.4 car being so useless and only have 500 points so far so I had to overcompensate in Gr.3. Ended up making my way all the way up to 11th which was my goal since it was the last 1000-point scoring position, but while racing near the top 10 on the final lap I tried pulling a crossover move in Indianapolis (that’s the fast right hander followed by the sweeping left hander right?) and ended up running into the back of the guy in the Viper I was racing, who then stood on the brakes (immediately and waaayy early) and I absolutely had nowhere to go, so got a 5 second penalty. And then since I was stuck on his bumper again I had nowhere to go when someone 2 cars ahead of us messed up the next corner and I started an accordion again, another 5 second penalty. All a product of having to drive way past my comfort zone.

So anyways, the 10 second penalty and then a slide when it unghosted me in the middle of the chicane knocked me all the way back down to 18th for no points. Great. I was easily in position to get the top points in North America this race for Mitsubishi and my first decent score of this season, but this form of racing is just so annoying. And I lost enough DR to put me back down to A after I finally was maintaining A+ for a while.

The vast majority of the Nations races are still really fun and generally clean, so I hesitate to quit Manufacturers when I enjoy racing most of the people I’m always matched against (and when it goes right and everyone is respecting each other and it’s a great race FIA races are 100x better than any organized league race) but it’s turning people into monsters when they have to get big points or nothing at certain combinations because their car is only good in one class or at a certain type of track, and it’s not about consistency at all. The multiple tries thing just makes it worse since everyone can just race without regard for the consequences since they can try again later. Mitsubishi is one of the worst for this since the Gr.4 is so bad I’ll have to overcompensate at every Gr.3 race, which I already don’t enjoy in the first place. So I’m right on the edge.

Rant over anyway. Can’t wait for the Supra Cup to come back, now that’s true GT-style racing (other than the obsession with fuel mileage races). Hey PD, lets get some road car races in Nations that aren’t on terrible tracks like Tokyo that are one-make or pick n mix so we aren’t just racing the same OP cars over and over, then maybe more people would enter them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Krypton78 and Pfei like this.
  4. praiano63

praiano63 Premium

At 4:06 of manufacturer the mustang is theoritically in a penalty situation but didn't take any at this moment .
    Both GR3 manufacturer Le mans race i did yesterday , all the car out of white line out this corner was 100% meaning penalty if i remember well.

5. Winnie847

Winnie847

I had a great result at Nations. First slot, P5 finish, one and done for 1949pts. Even though it was a weaker than usual top split lobby, it was top split nonetheless. Placing P5 in any FIA race is a good day for me, but especially if it’s a race where Deafsun and Windfire are up front. For once in my life I qualified decently, started P6, barely avoided penalties and incidents, and had a great battle with NZNZNZ until the end. Here’s the replay, enjoy the race!

Sorry if I got in your way. It wasn’t a great race for me, and it seems like pretty much every race in a Dodge is going to be equally as frustrating. I remember having two incidents in that race. One was at Mulsanne, heading into the braking zone. I was trying to avoid hitting the battle taking place in front of me, then got rear-ended into somebody else, punting them. I didn’t get the penalty, but maybe you did. The other, maybe even on the same lap, was when oakleyfino went into the sand at Indianapolis, then re-entered as a ghost while we were approaching Arnage. He occupied the center of the track and I missed my braking point while trying to decide where to go and wondering whether he would unghost or not. My fault on that one, I should have taken the outside but I probably would have been overtaken by two more cars had I done so.

It’s a struggle for me in the Viper too. You’re not the only one driving the wheels off your car. The Gr.3 feels about as understeery and unresponsive as a Gr.4 car, so if it seemed like I was braking early or too hard, it’s either because I was avoiding someone else, trying not to go off track, or because I simply have to in that stupid car as it handles like a bus.

I shared the replay in game but didn’t make a YT link, so I can’t review the race until I’m home later, but I will do so and make any necessary apologies again.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. Pelikan

Pelikan

I only had time to run the late race in the MFS. Qualified P9 in top split lobby. I was gunning for P6 to improve in my highest point total from the last two rounds.

My strategy was to only fight if I absolutely to and to stay within course limits. Patience paid off. Finished P3 behind @GumballCGT and @Timlour. The battle for 2nd was a 4 car battle on the last lap that led to some incredible racing.

Of course in my excitement I didn’t save the replay...smh.

7. vvise

vvise

I was lapping 3:59 in the mustang in lobbies. Only had one shot at the race and in qualifying someone drafted me down the straight and pushed me off in the braking zone while I was on for pole.

Finished the race with 4K DR loss and SR down 30 to end at 69. Bump drafts plus I clipped one car that was spinning off the track for 5s penalty. RIP.

Could have easily taken the 2.2k pts for first with my pace.

Dezcom, Winnie847 and SpecMiata-JSW like this.
  8. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

The Mustangs seemed to like the format last night. The Jag's seemed strong too.

9. HellzFire

HellzFire

La Sarthe is a complete mess on track limits. The place where I got my pen I clearly had 2 wheels on the asphalt still got a pen.

You simply never know when you're getting a pen. I tried to be as conservative as possible. At least the place where I got my random pen was the best one, the penalty zone I served is the one you lose the less time serving it.

10. zocker_16

zocker_16

I don´t like the track limits on Le Mans. It´s always some kind of lottery for me to get a corner without a penalty. :O
    Even it´s not one of my strongest tracks this makes it even harder for me to get some fast times there in a race.
    Nevertheless I tried the latest Nations Cup in GR.1 there.
    I got paired into the second split of EMEA region for +2600 points.
    Unfortunately I got a 0,5 sec penalty in Qualifying when I entered the straight and lost about 1,3 sec on my fastest lap there, so I had to start from P.13 . I was hoping for some penaltys and mistakes in front and that was what happened. I was able to finish 8th for 1645 points which was ok but didn't help me in the championship. :yuck:

Winnie847 likes this.
  11. Keith2324

Keith2324

I had a good race going at Lemons but I made a devastating mistake on the last lap at Mulsanne and manged to throw away a 4th place finish. I could never seem to get the slipstream ahead of me . It was good racing though. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Keith.

Dezcom and Winnie847 like this.
  12. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

Ended up doing both Le Mans combos on Saturday.

No FIA means I can play some old school GT. :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Krypton78 and Pfei like this.
  13. 05XR8

05XR8

I'm testing the Miura and Ford GT at Big Willow for the next N300 race. Any fast players have a reference lap? Just to see how close I am. I did a standard N300(BOP Off) just Miura and another N300(BOP on) with both cars. One flying lap(no multiple laps) each run. Time Trial Mode.

14. GT5Power

GT5Power

I'm doing some Manufacturers testing for Dragon Trail Gr.3. The top EMEA time is 1:35.887 (in the GT-R :eek: ?) and the fastest McLaren time is a 1:36.158 in the F1 GTR. I'm satisfied with my 1:36.787 (optimal .583) in my own F1 GTR, but I'm terribly inconsistent through the chicane of death. I can go through it without crashing maybe 1 in 5 times, and nail it 1 in 10 times. I know it's early, but I'm still worried.

The McLaren seems to hate those curbs (1995 suspension :rolleyes: :lol:), I have a few pics of me on two wheels during a hotlap :p I did some laps in the Beetle yesterday and it was much easier to handle through the bus stop. Really missed the F1's straight line speed though.

Any tips for consistency at Dragon Trail? :confused:

OutlawQuadrnt likes this.
  15. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

All the aliens in Germany must not have tried DT yet. I'm only a tenth off the top EMEA time. :lol:

Everywhere other than the bus stop, avoid overdriving into the corners. A small time loss on entry is worth getting good exits and keeping up momentum on this fast circuit.

Bus stop I'm struggling as always but I am finding limited success. I'm arcing the car through the double lefts like it's an S turn, aiming toward the inside barrier on the left. Small lift but don't dump the throttle entirely and don't do it too early. Otherwise, the car will get unsettled. Get it right and you can flick it a bit the other direction so that you're all but straightlining the exit without too much wheel.

Basically, I feel like trying to play it safe on entry is actually worse than being aggressive because any attempt to take it slow upsets the weight transfer and the car is out of shape.

GT5Power and Timlour like this.
  16. stpatty

stpatty

I had a few goes at Seaside in the GT-R the other week when it was a Daily Race, and on every try I gained at least five positions. I could never quite get the chicane right but I was definitely quicker and less prone to death when I focused on the exit rather than the entry. I think treating it like an S bend is a good idea, because if you try and split it into a right/left then a left/right, you're not going to have the car in the right position. Plus you'll overthink it and hit the wall anyway.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    OutlawQuadrnt and GT5Power like this.
  17. Winnie847

Winnie847

Has anybody tested cars and strategies for the upcoming Nations race? It's Gr.4 at Suzuka.

I am going to assume that a no-stopper on mediums is the way to go. But what about the car? The Lexus has been OP lately and dominated the leaderboard when we had this as Race B not long ago, but will that be the same over a race with tire wear?

With lower tire wear multipliers, I doubt the 4C has the outright pace to be as competitive as it is with higher wear....but maybe?

I think the M4 will also be a good choice, but haven't tested anything yet.

Let me know if any of you guys have this all figured out.

18. Benay79

Benay79

Not going to lie but its actually been nice having a few weeks break from these. Not stressing over strategies and what time slots i can make etc! Oh well, guess its time to start practising for Saturday! Here we go again!

05XR8, DK, 8l23ub and 3 others like this.
  19. watto79

watto79

I completely agree! It's been a welcome mid-season break but will be glad to get back into it.

I've done a little practice for Manufacturers and I have to say I don't know what that helicopter pilots problem is but I'd appreciate it if they didn't keep dive bombing me while I'm trying to negotiate the chicane...

8l23ub, GT5Power and SpecMiata-JSW like this.
  20. SpecMiata-JSW

SpecMiata-JSW Premium

Ha! That helicopter comment was funny, well played sir. On Saturday if I can make the entire qualifying or race without a code brown chicane moment, I’ll call the evening a success.

Seaside is by far my least favorite circuit. :nervous:

watto79 likes this.
  21. Timlour

Timlour

I don't like how all 3 of the TBA races for Manu are going to be at Sardegna. I get that it's a new track with variants but 3 races at one location is a bit overkill (especially for the official season) in my opinion. I would've liked to see more variety in the schedule.

bloodyboyblue and SpecMiata-JSW like this.
  22. watto79

watto79

I'm only partially joking. Seriously this can't be safe!

20190703135649.jpg

8l23ub likes this.
  23. zzz_pt

zzz_pt Premium

Just curious. Does anyone know how's Corvette doing this season?

24. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Of the cars I've tried so far, I feel like the Genesis and Mustang are my strongest choices, especially as far as trail-braking is concerned. Last week, I did a practice lobby in the former, managing a total race time of 15:16.203 seconds with a no-stopper and mediums. Fastest FP time so far is a 2:07:317, also in the Genesis.

Winnie847 likes this.
  25. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Did some laps at Seaside last night, and between the understeer or snap oversteer the car is trash here. 3 seconds off the pace. Not sure I'll even bother on Saturday. Then again I may just purposely botch my qualifying to start at the back and just see how far I can climb forward.

26. cheeseball

cheeseball

The down draft from the props should help with front downforce though :lol:

Keith2324 likes this.
  27. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

erm, no boost for Mitsubishi then :(
    Balance of Performance (BoP) Update Notice 04/07/2019
    The Balance of Performance (BoP) for certain cars in Gran Turismo Sport has been updated.

The following is a list of all adjustments.

Gr.1 Class
    ・Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10 [Power Ratio : 90% > 91%]

Gr.2 Class
    ・Honda EPSON NSX '08 [Power Ratio : 121% >122%]
    ・Lexus PETRONAS TOM'S SC430 '08 [Power Ratio : 130% >132%]
    ・Nissan XANAVI NISMO GT-R '08 [Power Ratio : 126% >128%]

Gr.3 Class
    ・Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 [Power Ratio : 105% > 104%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 105% > 104%]
    ・Audi R8 LMS (Audi Sport Team WRT) '15 [Power Ratio : 93% > 90%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 108% > 106%]
    ・BMW M6 GT3 M Power Livery '16 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 103%]
    ・BMW M6 GT3 (Walkenhorst Motorsport) '16 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 103%]
    ・Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R '15 [Power Ratio : 81% > 82%]
    ・Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 '13 [Power Ratio : 99% > 97%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 109% > 107%]
    ・Honda NSX Gr.3 [Power Ratio : 99% > 97%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 100%]
    ・Lamborghini Huracán GT3 '15 [Power Ratio : 96% > 94%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 108% > 106%]
    ・Lexus RC F GT3 (Emil Frey Racing) '17 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 103%]
    ・Lexus RC F GT3 prototype (Emil Frey Racing) '16 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 103%]
    ・McLaren 650S GT3 '15 [Power Ratio : 110% > 109%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 107% > 106%]
    ・Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 [Power Ratio : 107% > 106%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 110% > 109%]
    ・Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3) [Power Ratio : 100% > 101%] [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 103%]

Gr.4 Class
    ・Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.4 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 109% > 108%]
    ・BMW M4 Gr.4 [Power Ratio : 99% > 98%]
    ・Honda NSX Gr.4 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 108% > 107%]
    ・Lexus RC F Gr.4 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 103% > 104%]
    ・Renault Sport Mégane Trophy '11 [Power Ratio : 87% > 88%]
    ・Subaru WRX Gr.4 [Weight Reduction Ratio : 102% > 101%]

The above list of BoP changes is part of the Update 1.40 content released on 27 June.

Does that last line mean they have already implemented this, but didn't tell anyone? Or have they really swung the nerfbat at the MR cars?

OutlawQuadrnt likes this.
  28. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

...so can we change manufacturers again? :lol:

My word! You'd think they would've done BOP changes before the season started. General takeaway from it is BMW and Lexus got nerfed as a whole and most MR cars got changed for what I can only guess is better drivability/tire wear without changing overall lap time.

On a side note,

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_3352785.html

The AABBCCDD, a car so good, it can participate in any group race! :sly:

Canucks_9419 likes this.
  29. Espial

Espial

Correct me if I'm wrong, but regarding Gr3 this seems to me like one of the biggest BoP changes to date, especially for MR cars.
    They are already struggling with tire wear and now they get 2% less power... Or is 2% less weight supposed to offset that and improve tire wear at the same time?

30. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt Premium

The combination of both will likely improve tire wear. Less stress on the rears with decreased power and shedding weight always helps. Some offset with better cornering speed but not enough to wipe away gains.

Impact on lap times is unknown although in the past, weight changes tends to have a bigger impact than power. Could be a slight overall buff for most of the MR cars although the Audi R8 may be the exception.

Espial likes this.