2019 Toyota Avalon Revealed: Uh, Woah!

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 25 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Official pictures of the all-new premium mid-sized sedan from Toyota. It is four inches longer than it's predecessor, and also wider, taller, and boasts a roomier interior. Styling seems to be much more upscale, and heavily influenced by Lexus sedans like the GS and ES.

An upgraded version of the Camry's 3.5L V6 will be optional, and will make more than 300hp. Hybrid powertrain also will be available, and more autonomous driving features were added.

No pricing information released yet, but expect it to be more expensive than the current Avalon. Will hit the US market in the spring.

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/2019-toyota-avalon-arrives-in-detroit.html

2019-toyota-avalon-2.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-35.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-37.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-36.jpg

2019-toyota-avalon-24.jpg

Frankly, this exceeds my expectations. The styling is very pleasing to the eye.

By 2025, the front of all Toyotas will just be a giant razor-wire grille with a jet turbine fan behind that sucks up anything in front of your car and shreds it to bits. No more front end collision risks, because all matter in your path will be completely obliterated!

Seriously, how do some of these ideas get passed paper drawing stage? Let alone production? Who thinks this actually looks good???

I can definitely see some ES in the overall design. Which is fine considering the next gen ES debuts in July, and is supposed to look closer to the LS.

I wasn't actually aware Toyota still made the Avalon until this popped up on the Newswire earlier today.

While the grill is strange, the rest of the car doesn't look that bad. Like @McLaren I see a lot of ES in the car as well.

I can definitely see some ES in the overall design. Which is fine considering the next gen ES debuts in July, and is supposed to look closer to the LS.

I wasn't actually aware Toyota still made the Avalon until this popped up on the Newswire earlier today.

While the grill is strange, the rest of the car doesn't look that bad. Like @McLaren I see a lot of ES in the car as well.
Which always makes me wonder what separates an Avalon from a Lexus ES to begin with?

Last edited:
Everybody says ES

I say Toyota Crown. And with the rumors of the Lexus GS getting punted, it seems like an alternative.

Seriously, how do some of these ideas get passed paper drawing stage? Let alone production? Who thinks this actually looks good???

Because it does look good.

Compared to the current generation of Toyotas, this looks excellent even.

Seems like they realized people actually like how Lexus cars look, so they carried over styling elements from the Lexus GS into this. I think it looks great, especially the interior. The front would've looked a lot better had they dropped that triangle in the front grill, and just copied and scalled down that outer slope on the bumper.

About $6,000 and a badge.

I'm guessing you get more standard kit on the ES though.
I always thought that the Lexus ES was some premium sized Camry. It was only when i looked at that image of the new Avalon's interior that let me question why it was badge'd as a Toyota instead.
Everybody says ES

I say Toyota Crown. And with the rumors of the Lexus GS getting punted, it seems like an alternative.
To me, the Avalon was always the American equivalent of the Crown since the Avalon replaced it back in the mid 90's in our market.
I still remember couple months ago when Toyota revealed a new 2018 for the Japanese market and somehow someone shared a fake rumor that it's going to make a come back and everyone freaked out that "it's gonna beat the Avalon and Lexus...etc" :boggled:.

Oh and it's been a while since i remember seeing you on this forum.

I always thought that the Lexus ES was some premium sized Camry. It was only when i looked at that image of the new Avalon's interior that let me question why it was badge'd as a Toyota instead.

To me, the Avalon was always the American equivalent of the Crown since the Avalon replaced it back in the mid 90's in our market.
I still remember couple months ago when Toyota revealed a new 2018 for the Japanese market and somehow someone shared a fake rumor that it's going to make a come back and everyone freaked out that "it's gonna beat the Avalon and Lexus...etc" :boggled:.

Oh and it's been a while since i remember seeing you on this forum.

I believe the Avalon and Camry and both on the K platform along with the ES. As far as I can tell from eyeballing it, the ES and Avalon are roughly the same size too. I could be wrong though and I'd guess @McLaren probably knows more about the subject.

You’re pretty spot on. It is the ES’ Toyota sister car. They’ve been compared a bit in the past, but at this point, it could come down to which you think looks best; they are becoming radically different in design.

It & the next gen ES are all on the new GA-K platform (alongside the current RX).

For the longest time, the ES was a premium Camry, correct. Only the most recent generation and now this new generation have the Avalon and ES been joined at the hip. Although global platforms will soon mean every FWD sedan Toyota makes will likely be related.

Which always makes me wonder what separates an Avalon from a Lexus ES to begin with?
I know I'm a bit late in responding, but the ES is also three inches shorter than the Avalon in length.

I dislike that and it looks far too similar to the Lexus front that has ruined Lexus in recent years.

Back