DTM SeriesTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 53 comments
Looks like Audi is at least giving it their all for it's final season in DTM. Caught race two, and while F1 is amazing around Spa, the DTM looked even better. Really hope Frijns and Wittmann get things together, as Muller and Rast already are making this look like it could be a two horse race.

These races were the first time DTM cars have been able to exceed 300km/h. It was thought they might at Fuji but it didn't happen. The racing looked decent from the highlight vids, shame I couldn't watch it anywhere.

I fail to understand why I can't watch the races live on the DTM YouTube channel in English. I realise they have a TV contract in the UK but not everyone can view that. It would be great if The Race could get the rights for DTM too. Probably not now but if/when the DTM returns. Fingers crossed the ITR can sort something out.

I just saw the news about Albon driving the Ferrari in DTM. I knew DTM was in a bit of trouble but I didn't realise it was this bad.

I wonder how this will impact Super GT regs going forward, are they still going to keep using Class One rules? Personally I prefer the older sleeker shape more than the blocky Class One shape, but I'm sure in the current climate they would just stick with what they have.

Last edited:
DTM posted about 7 brands in the series. It's just not the same. If that the name "touring" is in DTM and those cars are Grand Touring cars. Maybe if the cars were only three-box GT3s, excluding the MR layouts.

DTM posted about 7 brands in the series. It's just not the same. If that the name "touring" is in DTM and those cars are Grand Touring cars. Maybe if the cars were only three-box GT3s, excluding the MR layouts.
And the Ferrari does seem like the go to right now. I’ve liked the races I’ve caught, but agreed. Not the same DTM. Really good GT3 racing though.

Does anyone have a link to a proper program for the DTM on Assen?

All I can find is that there are 6 support series and that's it. I want to know if it's worth to go the 19th.

Yeah. I’ll probably just post in the GT3 thread after this. It’s just GT3 and GT4… err, “Trophy” racing, now.

That was one of the worst races I have ever seen. Absolutely disgraceful from Van Der Linde, Goetz and Mercedes.
I can't really hate Götz here. He wasn't the one who made other Mercedes drivers stall for him.

I didn't really have much interest in this series anymore since the GT3 move but reading it now, I'm surprised. Dirty driving and aren't the Teams now privateers? How are they able to do Team orders?

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up much with the '21 DTM season, but I did read up on what happened and watched the highlight reel on Youtube.

What an absolute farce of a race. KVL's driving was just poor throughout the race. It was painful to watch such dirty driving seemingly being excused by the stewards without question (though KVLs tire giving out was a small bit of karma). The fact that KVL was able to blatantly punt his championship rival and leaving him with suspension damage should've earned him a black flag imo. Team orders being imposed by Mercedes is also mind-boggling. How the hell can there be team orders when the whole series is fielded by privateers?

Even as a casual observer, that wasn't a race, that was an utter joke. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of the big nails in DTMs coffin.

Last edited:
Im generally a K VDL fan but that divebomb was quite aggressive. He has speed but he doesn't harness it. Not the firat time hes made errors that (in blancpain as well).

A bit of a mess the whole weekend.

"Schieb ihn raus!" - Part Two

Anybody remember Barcelona 2007?

Or back further...

It's not great when this kind of thing happens in racing, but from time to time it does. Given the state the series has been in over the last two years, I don't think this season has been too bad generally.

And…?

Still doesn’t excuse the Audi driver’s actions on track.
I think it's more about Lawson fans trying to argue beyond the incident putting him on a pedastal and putting down GT racing as a whole instead of actually targeting the issue exclusively.

Which while I do agree that these are getting irritating. KVL terrible drive in those races needs to be priority to put on notice for DTM to address, we can handle annoying fans later.

Last edited:
I can't really hate Götz here. He wasn't the one who made other Mercedes drivers stall for him.

I didn't really have much interest in this series anymore since the GT3 move but reading it now, I'm surprised. Dirty driving and aren't the Teams now privateers? How are they able to do Team orders?
They are privateer teams albeit with significant factory support in the way of drivers/technical/money. And those teams all had Team AMG in their name that signify that the entry has factory support. None of those teams would oppose any such orders to pull aside for another AMG as it would mean the end of the relationship. A lot of those drivers are paid by AMG not the team themselves also.

Don't get the hate for Gotz either. As you say it wasn't his decision. It was made by AMG for AMGs best interests such as winning the title for AMG. Replace Gotz with any other AMG driver and same thing would've happened. And manufacturer orders in DTM are nothing new unfortunately...On the other hand I have nothing but unhappy words to describe KVDL's driving. First the divebomb on Lawson and then he had a swipe at Gotz himself which resulting in a puncture and retirement for him. Karma. I enjoyed that greatly. He wouldnt have made a deserving champion in my eyes and I'm glad that through it all Lawson still finished second in front of VDL in the title fight.

Really disappointed for Lawson. All seemed lost at the start of the race and then VDL went out which swung it back in his favour but then the manufacturer orders dropped and the crown was gone again. AF Corse have already voiced their displeasure but I'd be interested to see what Red Bull and Ferrari themselves think.

They are privateer teams albeit with significant factory support in the way of drivers/technical/money. And those teams all had Team AMG in their name that signify that the entry has factory support. None of those teams would oppose any such orders to pull aside for another AMG as it would mean the end of the relationship. A lot of those drivers are paid by AMG not the team themselves also.

Don't get the hate for Gotz either. As you say it wasn't his decision. It was made by AMG for AMGs best interests such as winning the title for AMG. Replace Gotz with any other AMG driver and same thing would've happened. And manufacturer orders in DTM are nothing new unfortunately...On the other hand I have nothing but unhappy words to describe KVDL's driving. First the divebomb on Lawson and then he had a swipe at Gotz himself which resulting in a puncture and retirement for him. Karma. I enjoyed that greatly. He wouldnt have made a deserving champion in my eyes and I'm glad that through it all Lawson still finished second in front of VDL in the title fight.

Really disappointed for Lawson. All seemed lost at the start of the race and then VDL went out which swung it back in his favour but then the manufacturer orders dropped and the crown was gone again. AF Corse have already voiced their displeasure but I'd be interested to see what Red Bull and Ferrari themselves think.
That's very strange. DTM having heavy team orders isn't new but back then the manufacturers were an even mix (with some exceptions) and was a bit heavy on manufacturer warfare but this new GT3 era is open ended with a lot of Teams hoping on Mercedes...

Back