Sports Cars 2020 Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etc

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Kowhai, Dec 8, 2017.

1. trustjab

trustjab

I don't really care about the IMSA PLM conflict. It was Fuji's original date anyway. If IMSA can't compromise by moving it's date too then that's their problem imo. Mid-Ohio conflicts with Spa, should the WEC move that date as well? It's silly the flak that people online are giving the WEC for this when IMSA hasn't moved an inch. Should work both ways imo. Sure Toyota has pace, but they also have to lift and coast. Conway says they may be down 20kmh to the private cars. I wanna see how that plays out and what happens to the eot.

2. Northstar

Northstar Premium

IMSA announced their schedule on August 4. WEC announced theirs September 22.

tbwhhs likes this.
  3. trustjab

trustjab

That means nothing in terms of it being Fuji's original date, and they first moved it to not conflict with PLM. F1 then conflicted so they moved it back. That doesn't answer the question of why only the WEC should move to suit IMSA, why not the other way around? Doesn't matter who came first, the race(s) aren't for 9 more months.

4. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Ah, so the racing world once again has to deal with it's annoying F1 problem. BTW if you expect IMSA to move dates, why not F1 as well?

IMSA works around the WEC schedule as well. GTLM doesn't race at Detroit since it clashes with the Le Mans test day and that's also the last race until July. They're just smart enough to get this crap sorted before they announce it. Not to mention they are giving WEC a much needed mid-season highlight race in Sebring.

But do go on about how IMSA hasn't made any changes to work around WEC.

jake2013guy, Wiz and tbwhhs like this.
  5. Kowhai

Kowhai

Looks like it’s about time I update the OP. Give me a minute

Edit: Or 45. It’s done now. I’ve cut out the drivers for each team because they took up too much space

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. trustjab

trustjab

Bs. Detroit has been a conflict for the past couple of years. They don't schedule around the wec, they do what they want. Just like they did concerning the dpi's running different elelectronics from the lmp2's when they were agreed not to at first. They like to say theres a partnership but really the series are doing their own thing. For all we know that Sebring date is all they would give to the wec. Neither series bends over backwards for the other, it's that simple. F1 is in the position of power over other fia ran championships, obviously. They are the most popular so the others have to get in their dates around them because unless it's something like Le Mans, they don't care about the dates.

7. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I already addressed that. It's not like they can change the date of that event even if they wanted to as it's primarily an IndyCar event and the manufacturers want the series there.

That could be said for both as both have agreed to things than changed their minds.

Which is a huge problem, especially with the way the F1 calendar has ballooned over the last 20 years.

It should be noted that it's not just IMSA it's now clashing with. DTM and SuperGT also hold races that weekend and have drivers that do both series.

The FIA/ACO can obviously do whatever they want schedule with with the WEC, but it seems like a very bad idea since in this case as not only are drivers and teams having to make decisions, so are fans. Some make arrangements very far in advance and you can't always get refunds or have to pay fees to change stuff around.

Anyways, I'm done with this, have a nice night. :cheers:

8. 05XR8

05XR8

9. SHGTP

SHGTP

05XR8 likes this.
  10. Furinkazen

Furinkazen Premium

1) it'll catch fire.
    2) may as well dust off the one built a few years back...

ThePotatoKing, jake2013guy and 05XR8 like this.
  11. trustjab

trustjab

I'd rather they do like Ferrari and use the same car in both the WEC and GT3, the 720, than the rumored monstrosity 'Senna'. (Which imo doesn't deserve the name).

sumbrownkid likes this.
  12. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin (Banned)

They use the 650S in GT3 so that should be used. 570S is for GT4 just in case you were wondering.

13. Northstar

Northstar Premium

They are developing a 720 GT3 to replace the 650S. It should debut next year.

14. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin (Banned)

Didn't know that, cool I guess. I wonder how they're gonna work with all that negative space in the headlights though.

15. trustjab

trustjab

Later this year I remember reading, but not in any teams hands. Iirc, they will start testing it around Summer and might enter it into a couple of races late this year.

16. Furinkazen

Furinkazen Premium

What?

17. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin (Banned)

[​IMG]
    Okay at first I didn't think there was any airflow through there but it still doesn't look great. Did they just think "where else can we create openings for air to make it's way from the nose of the car across the rest of it towards the back" and notice that everyone does this with bumpers and hoods and maybe headlights is the next place to try it.

Still looks weird to me is all.

18. Snaeper

Snaeper Premium

GTE Manufacturer announcement is apparently imminent. WEC focus likely, IMSA questionable.

Mclaren or Lamborghini? Who else could it be?

19. [Nor]MclarenF1

[Nor]MclarenF1

Proton Racing have started to announce their 2018 driver lineup.

20. Northstar

Northstar Premium

And it's supposedly McLaren with the Senna to be debuted in Geneva.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/mclaren-poised-for-gte-unveil/

Hopefully it looks better with a livery. :nervous:

21. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

I wonder if they'll keep the window on the door.

22. Carbon_6

Carbon_6

About as likely as keeping that rear wing.

23. Snaeper

Snaeper Premium

Senna confirmed for Homologation Special?

24. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

I take it Mclaren will replace Ford once they bow out of GTE in 2019?

25. NSX_LeMans

NSX_LeMans

According to Brazilian journalist Rodrigo Mattar, Brazil may be back in WEC. The race is set to be in December 2019. Announcement will be made in March 22.

26. WillOxleyGB

WillOxleyGB

The WEC is all about the GTE class for myself so I'll eagerly await the announcement.

27. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

RacingTeamNederland will compete in WEC. I warned you :dopey:

28. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

29. Michelin Man

Michelin Man

To be fair to him, he might have mellowed after a few years out of F1, and the world of sports car racing may very be up his street. After all, as was briefly seen at times in F1, he had speed and potential, just seemed to be hidden beneath the clumsy mistakes/crashes. To be honest I'd like to see him do well, and prototypes could be a stepping stone for that.

30. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Shares in LMP2 spare parts service rise significantly. :eek: