2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Definietly its going to be amazing race:) Usually Im fast in SF, so hopes are high.. My best QT during simulations was 1.42,4xx(not using OT) So my plan is to repeat this time in race, grab PP and ran away from the pack as quick as possible:lol: I think Ill just hold OT button for 1st lap:)
I really dont use these cars much tbh, dont remember the last race i was in with SF... its too frantic. Im currently 1.41.6 (No OT)so with some practice i can hopefully chip abit more off. I think it will come down to whos doesnt bottle it for PP.. so if anyone hears a massive smashing noise.. thats my bottle crashing..

I really dont use these cars much tbh, dont remember the last race i was in with SF... its too frantic. Im currently 1.41.6 (No OT)so with some practice i can hopefully chip abit more off. I think it will come down to whos doesnt bottle it for PP.. so if anyone hears a massive smashing noise.. thats my bottle crashing..
1,41.6 with tyre wear? Just wow:eek:

1,41.6 with tyre wear? Just wow:eek:
I'm trying to get below 1:50 without tyre wear :lol: I just can't get used to these things, you tell it to turn and it turns, usually into the wall it's so much fun :banghead: I might get better, or I might just trail at the back and hope others do as badly as I would if I was trying to go fast.
In normal cars I usually look at the top times and wish I was that fast, but with these it's how do you go that fast?

Finally started getting some kind of hang on the Super Formula around Bathurst, but holy cow. Managed to get my free practice down to something that sounds reasonable with a 1:42.4, but it feels like I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth when I put in times approaching that. :scared:

I dread to imagine what it's going to be like in dirty air with worn tyres and other people around! Anyone else having cold sweats thinking about tomorrow's race? :boggled:

Last edited:
I will be driving a giant candy bar in hopes that it will distract my opponents and lure them into mistakes. Might be my only hope, but looking forward to it and it should be fun :).

twix sf19.jpg

Had some OK races, but there are some crazy drivers out there.

First race, qualified P2 behind another Corvette. Good start, then someone in an Evo decided to bump-draft 200m before T1, then braked at the 150m mark. Guess who went into the back of that crazy in the Mitsubishi? That's right, got a 2sec for it. Then after serving that, I un-ghosted inside of someone (I swear, officer!) and I got another 1s from that. Down to P11, ~7 sec from the leader.

What struck me was how dumb the leading pack was. I clawed back a 6s gap (with help from GTP-Legend who knew what he was doing) and got onto the leaders because THEY DIDN'T WORK TOGETHER. Some real 0 IQ plays from them, going 3-wide the whole time. Finished P6.

@LeGeNd-1 what happened to you early on? I was taken out too early to see anything that far ahead, I think you got a 2s? Murdered? Thanks for your good driving and bump-drafting either way. Then you dropped off after 7-8 good laps bumping me?

Second race. Didn't get into the Top 16 because I'm not in the SS, so it was best-of-the-rest for 270pts. Qualified P4 with a terrible tow. Another crazy in a different Evo (correlation?) was weaving, blocking, and divebombing literally from lap 1. Didn't bump-draft once, actively tried to dodge the bump-drafts and try to go 2-wide instead AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

Because of this, instead of breaking away from the pack, he dragged everyone back into the midfield. WHY? Through sheer luck, me having PTSD from the previous race penalties and being cautious, and several blatant murders into T1 and T3, he ended up walking away from the field and winning because it's the fastest car.

Oh well, finished P2 and 259 points, I'll take that. At least my DR didn't reset and I didn't die of death during any of the races.

Hey mate thanks. Good teamwork on catching the lead pack on the last lap. Considering we were 6 seconds down after the pits, and we were right on the tail end of that 5 car battle for the lead in the end, it was a nice comeback 👍

I was leading all through the first half of the race (thanks to you and Jay in the other Corvette working together). Pitted on lap 13 and came out on the 2nd innermost lane (still in the lead effectively). Unfortunately an Aston (who haven't pitted) tried to overtake another car into T1 and slammed into the back of me (I unghosted right before he crashed, so he must've thought he could've just ghosted through me). Got 2 second penalty, he got off scott free. Potential win down the drain.

Oh well, can't take this game seriously anymore.

See here is my feeling

I really don't mind if GT7 gets delayed until 2022 if it has to be. But some functional issues in GT Sport need to be addressed (and keep being addressed) in the meantime, like a BOP update and a working penalty system. But there has been no BOP update in 6 months and the latest penaty system is somehow worse than the previous one.

It is extremely frustrating stuff in what is otherwise a great multiplayer racing game.

Honestly, the BOP is kinda acceptable at the current level. Without rejigging the car classifications and removing FF/4WD from Gr.4 it won't get any better than this.

The penalty system though, it feels like they just have a bunch of monkeys typing random code and then sending it out as an update (or I should say, "downdate") every once in a while.

Believe it or not, I sat through the whole ending credits of GTS and I couldn't find a single name saying who is the penalty programmer in this game. Sadly I think it's gonna stay pretty much there and thereabouts for GT7. This is a company that still confuses front/rear ride height effects after 23 years remember...

Last edited:
Well, a couple FP laps and I'm at a 1:42.844. 2.3 seconds slower than top 10.

Not sure what everyone are running. I see Hondas are in the board. Can't see who is running what in the race.

Edit:
EplgAAwVEAAZYT1.jpeg

Last edited:
G'day mates, well I'm going to start a stupid day
Well, a couple FO laps and I'm at a 1:42.844. 2.3 seconds slower than top 10.

Not sure what everyone are running. I see Hondas are in the board. Can't see who is running what in the race.

I can't tell any difference, but I'm maybe not good enough to notice it.

Well, a couple FP laps and I'm at a 1:42.844. 2.3 seconds slower than top 10.

Edit:
View attachment 979134

G'day mates, well I'm going to start a stupid day

I can't tell any difference, but I'm maybe not good enough to notice it.

Both SF19s are near identical, the engine is the only difference. Both engines are 2 litre turbo inline 4.

*sigh*

Well, from last and many cars with red dunce caps, I was able to move up some places. Fuel was at about 4-5 laps by Lap6. Some pitted half distance. I went Lap 7. The dang tyres stayed on RM. Topped up fuel to 6.5 laps to run hard. Came out 9th or 10th.

Circled around and pit again for RH. Came out 9th again. No time lost to others pitting too.

Cold tyres and RH, don't mix well with a train of cars behind. Almost lost it twice. One of the cars behind went sideways behind me and slowed everyone down. I moved up to 8th with another car ahead serving a penalty. Decided to pit again for RM.

Once again, no time lost. Came out 9th and pushed. Stayed patient behind a Mild Seven Renault, that was a bit wobbly at spots. Caught up to another car and passed it on the penultimate lap.

KungFu Panda was unghosting and I just stayed behind it. Last lap down Conrod, I had a crack, but couldn't edge ahead by the time we hit the Chas. Lifted a bit to let him get the racing line and on to the finish.
It's a good combo. SF19s are always good at any track, but done for the night.

4th to last to 8th. 3 stops, no penalties. I can sleep easy.
EplmhvwU8AQhTtl.jpeg
EplmxboUUAEIfLh.jpeg

Last edited:
Well tried the FIA against the Aussies (there was no other nation) as I'm C/S it was a B-D race. I did a poor quali and was 17th with door 9, so not great. First corner, no idea what all happened there, but I was in 4th with a 1 sec and I had been so careful to try and stay clean. After more pushing and shoving I do my penalty and end up mid pack. It was just a fight all the way through, no one just trying to race or keep clean. It was an absolute nightmare. Ever other FIA race so far has had at least 1 good point, but this was just terrible. I'll go again and see if it was just the players, then I'll try UK, but if it's all the same I'm not bothering with this type of race again. There is really only 3 overtaking opportunities, but in a game people just won't wait for that they have to try and get past now and it's just chaos.

Last edited:
So yeah. I managed to survive. Started p17, was p6 by the cutting lap 1 and p5 after the first penalty zone lap 2. Had I not run wide on lap 2 or 3 into the sand at skyline I think I could have really got a surprise high finish, but as it was I will take my resulting p8. Highest points for the year and while I didn't drive amazing I wasn't a mess and the people i raced were all clean and just trying to drive well. That's 2 weeks in a row, I'll take it. Also had @Raptor013 in my race, he seemed to finish ok bit it sounds like there was an adventure in there somewhere
Lap 1 for your amusement.

Last edited:
So yeah. I managed to survive. Started p17, was p6 by the cutting lap 1 and p5 after the first penalty zone lap 2. Had I not run wide on lap 2 or 3 into the sand at skyline I think I could have really got a surprise high finish, but as it was I will take my resulting p8. Highest points for the year and while I didn't drive amazing I wasn't a mess and the people i raced were all clean and just trying to drive well. That's 2 weeks in a row, I'll take it. Also had @Raptor013 in my race, he seemed to finish ok bit it sounds like there was an adventure in there somewhere
Lap 1 for your amusement.

Well now I know how far up the grid I could have made it, had I not overshot Turn 2.

The start was an absolute cluster. But as you said, not dirty just clumsy for the most part.

Slot 1 in Asia and 13th in the lobby.

Got a good lap in the qualifying (1:39.7, with the help of overtake for sure lol) and able to start at 5th.

Nothing really special during the race except the car next to me got punt onto the grass and i was able to went up to p4.

Shifted earlier throughout my medium stint and lost 1 place because of it. Pit at lap 9 with 9% fuel remaining.

Got chased by a guy with medium tyres in the last 2 laps and fortunately i still got some juice in my battery and able to defend my position. And most importantly, the p4 guy didn’t use hard tyres and got a 1min penalty (thanks mate lol)... after all I got a p4.

Seems like the mid to back of the pack was on a mess in turn 1, so good luck to those guys lol

DE56BE58-82E5-4ADA-BB0A-6EDACAC9E996.jpeg
2A9F9681-032C-45D4-85EA-6125A2BF10AE.jpeg

Well now I know how far up the grid I could have made it, had I not overshot Turn 2.

The start was an absolute cluster. But as you said, not dirty just clumsy for the most part.
Yeah had no problems with everyone crashing at the start, but for my race it just kept going like that. People don't realize that crashing hurts everyone and clean driving is just the best way to go. Yes you can't be clean 100% of the time, but you can try rather than what usually happens.

OK that race was much better, maybe because I was so far back. Still had 1 complete donkey though. He was faster than me but kept mucking up then smashing me as he went past, might have cost me a place or 2 over the race, but due to the S driver ( who unsurprisingly didn't bother waiting for quali before leaving) I got 27 Pts for 14th and I learn a bit I hope.

Welp DR reset again. The game really needs to factor in lap time when matching. Got blocked by a bloke 6 seconds off the pace in qual so started at the back. Coming through the field kept picking up penalties for contact from dudes lapping 2-3 sec/lap slower than me, just parking the car on the apexes of the esses, the cutting etc. With the closing speeds of these cars its just ridiculous having people this slow in lobbies. Ended up with fastest lap by 1.5 sec in a mostly A-B/S lobby.

Slot 2 and I’m door 2 (I seem to always be in low numbers lately). Qualy went pretty well as 2 guys in front of me got penalties on their out lap and bailed leaving me in clear air. A low 43 was not my best lap but good enough for Q4.

That became P3 out of Hell’s Corner as Q3 seemed to brake too early and let me around the outside. From there P2 managed to pull away a little bit each lap while I put a good gap to P4.

At the end of lap 8 almost the entire field pitted and I decided to stay out and bask in the lead for a lap. I pitted lap 9 and rejoined in P2, with P3 within slipstream range. At the top of mountain straight on lap 11 we were side by side and I pulled out of a potential skirmish to try and secure a podium finish. Sitting in dirty air for 2 laps I had a great sector across the top of the mountain and came into Forest Elbow for the last time only 0.4s behind 2nd but, alas, I got on the throttle just a touch too early and a small fishtail was enough to ruin any chance of P2. But with an 8 sec gap to P4, I brought it home for my first ever Nations Cup podium, and my highest points of the season so far.

I liked this combo, but the number of red S’s at the end suggest the mid pack might have been a different story.

Last edited:
So here's tonight replay of my race.

I was grouped with @Redneckchef and as you may have already seen from his video the opening lap was chaotic to say the least. Had high hopes of a solid result as the Super Formula cars seem to suit my driving.

The main thing I failed to account for tonight was just how horrible the Hard tyres were under the car. Once I got rid of them the race got so much better.

So here's tonight replay of my race.

I was grouped with @Redneckchef and as you may have already seen from his video the opening lap was chaotic to say the least. Had high hopes of a solid result as the Super Formula cars seem to suit my driving.

The main thing I failed to account for tonight was just how horrible the Hard tyres were under the car. Once I got rid of them the race got so much better.

Watching that first lap I suddenly realize just how lucky I was to be clear of the pack early. :eek:

Didn't practice enough and went from SR:S to SR:E in second slot. Didnt ruin anyone's race, just consistent clumsy contact which started with six seconds of penalties by the cutting on lap 1 and went downhill from there. Started to get the hang of it by the end of the race and finished 18th for 68 points.

Won a messy Race A to start recovering ratings before entering the final nations slot.

Started on the front row in the final race behind @pennanton. Jumped him at the start and maintained a 1-2 second gap until the stops. I thought I had him covered until we both pitted and I realised he was fuel saving and on hard tyres when he jumped me at the stops. I emerged 3 seconds behind on harder tyres. Kept him honest but he had me covered until his shifter broke and I went through at Griffins bend. Was an unfortunate way to take the lead.

The fastest guy on track stuffed their qualifying and started 14th but ended up less than 2 seconds behind me at the finish.

As expected there was no points of value on offer, 22 points for the win but the aim was to recover sportsmanship as quickly as possible, which was a success as I went from SR:E to SR:S thanks to a clean event. Hoping I'll be back in second split by Wednesday.

Last edited:
This is similar to Monza and BMB in Manu competition when it comes to the amount of luck needed to get up the field. I scored mad piles of luck and still dropped spots, but others who got no luck dropped from top 5 or 8 to DNF.

And honestly I didnt feel a problem with the hards, but I pitted end of lap 9 for them so only ran 4 laps on them

Well I had good pace and a good strategy going into this one. Qualified in 8th with a 1:43.283 then a standing start at Bathurst and we'll a million dive-bombs into T1 and 3 seconds worth of penalties thanks the the random penalty generator killed my race from there. That and a punt lap 12 with the culprit getting no penalty resided me to 12th. one and done, fun combo but not while racing against public lobbies.

Back