2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Last night was horrendous for me. Only a few laps practice right before the race, so naturally I messed up qualy and started P11. Get pushed a little wide through T1 which was really was no big deal, but I got the SR down. Later I outbraked myself a little and barely grazed a guy, another SR down. Lap 11 I’m gaining on a guy on very worn tires and he pulls right in front of me in the braking zone while I was trying to let him defend the inside and outbrake him on the outside....nowhere to go, bam penalty and another SR down. It was actually a great, clean race up until that point imo. After 4-5 laps I started to get the hang of the track and the one-stop worked well for me. Went from 99 to 83 SR, so the next slot was in a low-SR lobby.

Then, this happened at the start of that race. OMG 14 positions gained immediately. I dunno what the heck happened, everybody got a bad start and bunched up and lost momentum. I was so baffled I nearly forgot to brake. Slid by the NSX that turned in, tried to avoid him by cutting the grass but couldn’t. Then some kind of lag punt happened to the outside guy, probably my fault but at this point I just needed to get by into clean air. No SR down apparently, lol.

Other than the start it was a clean race until we started to lap the backmarkers who were crashing everywhere. Karma strikes and I get a 3s penalty for ignoring a yellow flag and a big SR down. Only SR down the entire race and I went from 83 to 81 SR now. So I’d miss the final Nations slot in a good lobby.

Decided to run a few Race B’s to gain SR. After two races I was back up to 91. Like an idiot I chose to run one more to get to 99. Then a Viper bottles it in front of me and I murdered his side panel only for a guy behind to bump me afterward for yet another SR down. Down to 60 now. SR-B. No luck at all last night, smh.

Wow! What a start! I thought I had a good one, but that was unreal! I actually like the grid starts, and I typically gain a few from them by just being quick on the start and careful in the first turns. They make it a little more interesting when the races are so short, especially for a driver who isn't quite on the stick in qualifying enough...

And a yellow flag penalty! Rare! I think I've had one in the ~800 or so races I've raced in. Edit: and for passing a lapped/ghosted car! WTH?!?! That's pretty unfair.

I do really wish the incidental contact penalties and SR were down... it's unrealistic and doesn't encourage dirty drivers to change, only limits clean drivers from racing hard. It's like some of us have a hand tied behind our back while the others don't.... not a fair fight. Especially prevalent at Barcelona where those long turns require racing in close contact. (Not to mention Bathurst... let's not go there.)

As long as no advantage was gained by the contact, it should not be a penalty. Plain and simple, and the data is available to the game to determine that (splits to norm, splits to positions, position changes, etc.).

Last edited:
Practicing a little for the next round of the Nation's Cup and have a setup that got me 253 mph and 4:30.384 which is hopefully good enough for a top 500 (my goal this week).

I tried the Supra but the Lambo worked out better for me. The setup I have so far is directly behind the time trial. Can you tell on the back straight when I took a drink of my coffee?

Happy and safe holiday season for all ~ enjoy your racing!

I tried this, but can't change any of the settings.

Had an amazing battle with an RCZ while driving the Supra that culminated in failure on the last lap as I fought a bit too hard down the back straight and he had to drop a tire in the dirt which caused him to spin. Pulled over to let him get past and no hard feelings in the chat afterwards, but I felt like an idiot.
Grabbed a video of this 3-lap battle since it was just some extremely respectful driving.

First, Merry Christmas to all my fellow FIA racers here on GT Planet... I enjoy the Fellowship and have learned a lot from all the good people here.

Grabbed a video of this 3-lap battle since it was just some extremely respectful driving.

Barcelona/Gr3 with a decent tire wear multiplier really lends itself to good, realistic, and fun racing when trusted to fair and competent racers! I actually did have a fun battle over the last two laps in my race, even though the crap that happened in the first stint ruined my result, against a guy whose tires were in much worse shape than mine, but was clawing onto his position fairly and with a some real fight in him. I enjoyed that battle and was satisfying to put good techniques to use, like protecting the inside on the hairpin, with better tires and the better braking car... and setting it up on the run to that part of the track. Also, protecting your tires over the whole stint so that you can make those types of moves at the end of it... smart racing should pay off and this track and car combo do reward it.

PS: I think you were too hard on yourself if you let him past... you left enough room if he had clearly committed to the outside, but he hedged his bet and was shadowing you... not your fault. But maybe was hard to assess that in real time from the cockpit. Cheers.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone! :)

What are people thinking for Interlagos on Boxing Day? I've tried some custom races in the Vantage and fuel is definitely an issue! I tried both with fuel saving and with a splash and dash, and the difference between the two is negligible (for me anyway). I'm thinking at my level (low B) I'd probably be better off going for it and pitting at lap 11, I'd probably forget to short shift if I'm battling for position anyway!

What are people thinking for Interlagos on Boxing Day? I've tried some custom races in the Vantage and fuel is definitely an issue! I tried both with fuel saving and with a splash and dash, and the difference between the two is negligible (for me anyway). I'm thinking at my level (low B) I'd probably be better off going for it and pitting at lap 11, I'd probably forget to short shift if I'm battling for position anyway!

I did a few test races in the lobby too and my Peugeot might not be very competitive on this track. Tyres are already no good after about 6 laps and got enough fuel for only 12 laps . the first corner is very difficult when i start to have tyrewear, the car becomes heavy and understeery, so for me definitively a one-stopper. Also B level myself and the test races most competitors were A level and many of them had success with fuel saving and doing a no stop, only about two of them run out of fuel in the last lap, all others made it and forsure had an advantage over the one-stoppers. Just my opinion but I have a feeling you have to be pretty good at this game to be fast and succesfull in a race where fuel/tyre management is so important, I know for sure that neither me or the car can do it in this race....
My best practice time was 1:38:8, in the lobby my average qualification time is about 1.40 high, 1.41 low.... and in the race 1.41/1.42 about., what times did you do?

Definitely feeling the fuel burn (pun completely intended) in the Mustang. I just did a test run short-shifting at 50% on the RPM bar and was only able to go 12 laps before being forced to refuel. The amount of fuel saving that would be needed to no-stop in this thing is going to be too much to realistically consider, so I guess I'm just going to have to race normally and attempt to fuel save what I can when I'm stuck behind someone.

@MCL1974 I've had no problem getting to the end on tyres, they are a bit worn last lap or two but to be honest still better than first lap when they are cold!

@Zorz yeah I needed to fuel map 3 and short shift to make it to the end, probably not worth it like you say, the Mustang and the Aston are thirsty boys!

Last edited:

If I only manage to stay sober that day, I will defienietly give it a try:cheers:

OK for what it's worth I tested my Scirocco and recon I could have made the tyres last, but 11 laps was running with no fuel saving. So going for a non stop means not attacking at all. I can't see that being faster than the 18secs lost in the pits, that's with tyres so you could cut that by what 3 secs???? But I think I'll just pit when it feels right as I can't see me passing much I want to be on clear track if I can get it, so probably real early like lap 5.

Nations Slot 1, 2, 3 and 4 - Catalunya, 36,000 DR A/S Lobby, DR A/A Lobby, DR A/A lobby, DR A/S Lobby - Lexus RCF Gr3 and Subaru WRX Gr3.

The 1st lobby pops open and voila, there is @afc5150 and @KosmoKazi and a few other names I recognized. I knew immediately someone was going to die of death since three GTP players cannot coexist in a GT Sport Lobby. Fingers crossed it would one of the other two.... KIDDING! I may have finished in front of both, but my SR took a major hit. Which, made for a longer night than expected. In fact, I had a surprise in SLOT 4 when I got to see @Winnie847 (who used his cunning and pace to pass me while I was in the pit having cup of hot cocoa and reading the paper).

Rather than try to remember where I qualified in each and how I finished, I spent a better part of my day today cutting and splicing and reliving my previous night.

One day I'm going to sit down and figure out this track.

got a question: in what way is the TCS setting supposed to influence the tyrewear and speed of your car?
what is the benefit of running zero TCS to 1 or 2 TCS? and is there a difference if you use a wheel/pedal set-up or a pad?
(I drive the gr4 Peugeot and although it is impossible to spin it even with TCS at zero i do wonder if having TCR on zero is an influence on the tyrewear)

got a question: in what way is the TCS setting supposed to influence the tyrewear and speed of your car?
what is the benefit of running zero TCS to 1 or 2 TCS? and is there a difference if you use a wheel/pedal set-up or a pad?
(I drive the gr4 Peugeot and although it is impossible to spin it even with TCS at zero i do wonder if having TCR on zero is an influence on the tyrewear)
Technically TCS means less spin means less wear, but it's the friction that does it so it's all about control. Someone on 0 with great control will protect there tyres as well as TCS would, but there's always the risk of a spin. But this doesn't help with braking and steering too hard which can have a worse effect than poor traction. Really you just have to try things out as everyone drives differently, but driving fast while being smooth is what you want....and when you get it tell me how it's done.

Those driving Cayman, Citroen and 650S are going to have a field day with the Interlagos manu race. Those cars are great at fuel saving and also very kind on tyres. Generally if you can no stop without losing too much speed in the end it's probably better because overtaking at Interlagos is quite difficult and battling always loses you so much time in the infield. Unfortunately, my Audi TT just becomes totally undrivable from around lap 10 onwards (can't even take the last part of Senna S flatout :scared:). Fuel is not an issue but even just pitting for tyres takes so much time here, I don't think I can make it up on track :ouch:

It helps to reduce wheelspin, so if you're not good on throttle control, it can help. But if your right foot is already doing it, then it serves no other purpose and will just slow you down because it will always be more conservative than what the top drivers are capable of.

There is also the effect of making the car more understeery (because you can't rotate the car using the throttle) with RWD, and that can ultimately cause more front tyre scrub and wear. But since you're driving the RCZ this is not an issue.

It's up to you at the end of the day, but I won't go higher than TC1. ASM though is a big no-no because it increases tyre wear massively (the way it works is by braking the wheel that's about to lose traction, so it's like holding the gas + brake at the same time while sliding).

Those driving Cayman, Citroen and 650S are going to have a field day with the Interlagos manu race. Those cars are great at fuel saving and also very kind on tyres. Generally if you can no stop without losing too much speed in the end it's probably better because overtaking at Interlagos is quite difficult and battling always loses you so much time in the infield. Unfortunately, my Audi TT just becomes totally undrivable from around lap 10 onwards (can't even take the last part of Senna S flatout :scared:). Fuel is not an issue but even just pitting for tyres takes so much time here, I don't think I can make it up on track :ouch:

It helps to reduce wheelspin, so if you're not good on throttle control, it can help. But if your right foot is already doing it, then it serves no other purpose and will just slow you down because it will always be more conservative than what the top drivers are capable of.

There is also the effect of making the car more understeery (because you can't rotate the car using the throttle) with RWD, and that can ultimately cause more front tyre scrub and wear. But since you're driving the RCZ this is not an issue.

It's up to you at the end of the day, but I won't go higher than TC1. ASM though is a big no-no because it increases tyre wear massively (the way it works is by braking the wheel that's about to lose traction, so it's like holding the gas + brake at the same time while sliding).
Some testing has made it clear the Vantage won’t be competitive here. Flat out I can only get 9 laps on fuel and a no stop is only possible if I use fuel mapping at 3, which costs more time than a pit stop.

Add to this the fact that it won’t even do very fast lap times and this combo and the Vantage are a dead loss.

Whether I’ll bump into any of you at Interlagos tomorrow I don’t know as undecided on entering. Either way, good luck if you do! Xx

:cheers::gtpflag::gtplanet:

I’m really on the fence with this race. I dislike this circuit more than any in the world. The front stretch and that entry chicane is awesome, but I’m sorry, the rest is trash.

On top of that, I’m am terrible there. But I’ve gotten some top 10s this season on tracks I didn’t expect, which leads to the debate.

Though, I feel the 650 will scrub tires too much, making a no stop a potential no go.

Some testing has made it clear the Vantage won’t be competitive here. Flat out I can only get 9 laps on fuel and a no stop is only possible if I use fuel mapping at 3, which costs more time than a pit stop.

Add to this the fact that it won’t even do very fast lap times and this combo and the Vantage are a dead loss.

There is a trick to using the fuel map, but it's very effort intensive. Basically you switch to FM6 at the end of the straight and the infield section, which leaves you free to use FM1 on the front and backstraight. Also shortshifting when combined with fuel mapping compounds the saving which can just be enough to get you over the line. Also don't forget to draft where possible, just let faster cars by so you don't lose too much time. Let them waste their fuel and tyres and you'll catch up later on.

It's a very strategic kind of driving, and I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you've seen the multipliers last year, it was way way worse than this and everyone is pretty much forced to do that. This year the multipliers are a bit lower and the races a bit longer, so the preferred strategy is a bit more on the fence...

Last edited:
There is a trick to using the fuel map, but it's very effort intensive. Basically you switch to FM6 at the end of the straight and the infield section, which leaves you free to use FM1 on the front and backstraight. Also shortshifting when combined with fuel mapping compounds the saving which can just be enough to get you over the line. Also don't forget to draft where possible, just let faster cars by so you don't lose too much time. Let them waste their fuel and tyres and you'll catch up later on.

It's a very strategic kind of driving, and I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you've seen the multipliers last year, it was way way worse than this and everyone is pretty much forced to do that. This year the multipliers are a bit lower and the races a bit longer, so the preferred strategy is a bit more on the fence...
Yes, my testing tells me that shortshifting with FM3 or alternating FM1/6 and shortshifting give me the same outcome. I can no stop, but I’m 5-7 seconds slower than if I 1 stop.

The big variable will be slipstream but it will take some ideal early race conditions for me to consider no-stopping. I’m going to be relying on people struggling late with fuel/tyres to get any kind of result.

EqJFpJ-UwAIbM87

Back