2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Ran in a practice lobby for this week’s Manu. Boy, oh boy is it going to get messy over the mountain in the last 4 laps or so. The tyres on the Jag start to get sketchy around lap 13 for me, but some of the other cars were struggling well before that. An RCZ did a one stop and still finished 3rd as most of the field failed to keep it on the tarmac in the last 2 laps.

I’d suggest you get as close to the front as you can early on, lest you fall victim to ice rink style carnage.

After the experience of some pratice lobbies, I can say that I feel very good in the last laps. A friend of mine, driving Volkswagen Scirocco, tries a one stopper and finihes with a 6:08,9XX (me 5:57,9).
The FR cars are so fast with new tyres, that I can't compete with them in my Mustang.

The other two drivers in my group drive Aston Martin and they told me that the car is struggling that much, so I give it a try and I was able to drive some laps and a race. It is also a good alternative with 5:51,2XX.

I hope for a clean race with no battles (I will loose time with it and get bad tyres) and then get the last people passed in the last laps with much better tyres.

Today I will have a last test, and will test the braking balance. Now only +1. I will go for +2 or more, but I think I have to switch because of the downhill part of the track.

Tomorrow Bathurst. It's gonna be a fine race.
Today's all about practice and like the previous two instances I've prepared a Spotify list to help you take the edge of the race.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4OA3m6mlohuQuedS6bO0cN?si=RltmrSHzQIiVKAAwevnFSg

The theme of this race is dual: (again) tyre saving and the eb & flow of the mountains v.s the fast straights. Likewise the list consists of mid-tempo songs with and eb & flow kind of feel. We start off with a woman from neighbouring New Zealand; Lorde and we end on a Rush (hopefully) with Motorcycle.
  • Green Light - by Lorde
  • Sunset (Bird of prey) - by Fatboy Slim
    (because of the sunlight blocking your vision as you climb up the mountain)
  • Beds are Burning - by Midnight Oil
  • Let's Dance - by David Bowie
  • Do I Ever - by Kensington
  • Move on up - by Curtis Mayfield
    ('cause it's that time you start exploiting your tyre saving to overtake your competition)
  • Dig Down - by Muse (you gotta find a way!)
  • As the Rush Comes - by Motorcycle
If you've crossed the finish line before the last song ends you will have done so in a (for me at least) record breaking 36:07,000!

Suffice it to say I'm not there yet.

Cheers,

Seth

Last edited:
Tomorrow Bathurst. It's gonna be a fine race.
Today's all about practice and like the previous two instances I've prepared a Spotify list to help you take the edge of the race.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4OA3m6mlohuQuedS6bO0cN?si=RltmrSHzQIiVKAAwevnFSg

The theme of this race is dual: (again) tyre saving and the eb & flow of the mountains v.s the fast straights. Likewise the list consists of mid-tempo songs with and eb & flow kind of feel. We start off with a woman from neighbouring New Zealand; Lorde and we end on a Rush (hopefully) with Motorcycle.
  • Green Light - by Lorde
  • Sunset (Bird of prey) - by Fatboy Slim
    (because of the sunlight blocking your vision as you climb up the mountain)
  • Beds are Burning - by Midnight Oil
  • Let's Dance - by David Bowie
  • Do I Ever - by Kensington
  • Move on up - by Curtis Mayfield
    ('cause it's that time you start exploiting your tyre saving to overtake your competition)
  • Dig Down - by Muse (you gotta find a way!)
  • As the Rush Comes - by Motorcycle
If you've crossed the finish line before the last song ends you will have done so in a (for me at least) record breaking 36:07,000!

Suffice it to say I'm not there yet.

Cheers,

Seth
Nice start
Missing other Aussie bands
INXS, AC/DC, Men at Work, etc

To the guys in NA, CSA, EMEA and Asia, what are the top cars for the rally leaderboard in your regions? I'm surprised to see Oceania is populated by Focus and GT-R. The Focus is somewhat expected because it's meta on tarmac, but in previous Time Trials here the meta have been WRX/NSX, and I don't think there has been a BOP change for Gr.B recently.

In any case, this is going to be more like a Wreckfest race than GT so in the end I don't think car choice matters too much :lol: BTW, does Sardegna even have a pitlane? Do they just drop us in the middle of the track in quali? :lol:

To the guys in NA, CSA, EMEA and Asia, what are the top cars for the rally leaderboard in your regions? I'm surprised to see Oceania is populated by Focus and GT-R. The Focus is somewhat expected because it's meta on tarmac, but in previous Time Trials here the meta have been WRX/NSX, and I don't think there has been a BOP change for Gr.B recently.

In any case, this is going to be more like a Wreckfest race than GT so in the end I don't think car choice matters too much :lol: BTW, does Sardegna even have a pitlane? Do they just drop us in the middle of the track in quali? :lol:
I think Asia has NSX as meta; current World Record time is in that region with the NSX.
NA has a mix of NSX, Focus, and WRX.

Pit lane is just after the final jump, on the left.

To my results there’s a bit of practice, having the pace, knowing the track, how to race it etc.
There’s definitely a point of OVERpractice also with diminishing returns happening. Sometimes too much practice creates too much expectation (pressure).
I can tell in many FIA races this self inflicted mental pressure messes people up sometimes.
Jmo, for me, often being fresh and having a quick few laps in the warmup pre race is better than overpracticing.
I mean there’s guys doing practice lobbies etc for days beforehand sometimes. That’s not for me, personally. I do better fresh as opposed to burnt.

Yes, agreed.

Good luck to everyone in tonight's round.

On a family member's account(B/S), in a white/orange SLS.

Edit:
1 Scirocco
1 TT
1 WRX
2 GT-Rs

Everyone else are RWD

Edit:
:rolleyes: Why jump out in qualy with the early players, if you can't keep up?

Even spread out, someone drives on the dirt or in the wall and tries to maintain speed, instead of moving over to let a train through.

Could have been up in 7th, where a Mustang behind, bumps me due to the slow GT-R holding us up. Starting 14th ahead of the GT-R and a spot behind a Scirocco.

Edit2: I actually started 16th. Got pipped at the final seconds.

Anyway, my controller comfort level was high. I think the pit stop helped, but I wasn't fatigue even up that point.
As for the SLS... a solid machine. That GT-R was trouble. First off, japanese players are having red bars. Next, that GT-R is impatient on LAp 1, when a car two places ahead of me, gets out of shape. The Cayman just in front, slows. So, I slow. The GT-R is way back and thinks it's time to pass at Sulman. Uh, nooooo. We're showing courtesy to the car gathering itself. The race just started.

I'm dead last, due to smacking the wall, because of contact with said GT-R. I press on, looking at tyre condition and feel over the next few laps. Catch the GT-R and of course it's holding up another car. The two bars don't help with the positioning as when we try to pass, we're getting baulked side-by-side. I'm finally realesed and set FL.

Take my pit stop(end of Lap 9, following the leader) from 14th. Still 14th at pit exit. There are three SLS and I'm at the bottom. Catch one of the SLS. Pass and start moving up to P10. P9 after some other late pit stops.
The Mustang that bumped me, is now behind, after pitting one lap later. The top SLS is ahead. I catch it and it's now between me and the Mustang that is catching. Mustang was faster from T1-T3(also set FL of the race). I was faster across the top.
It hit the dipper on LAp `15. SO, I was gone. Catch up to three cars(Vantage, NSX, 86) battling, having not pitted. I dispatched the VAntage way easy. GApped it by 1 second after I passed it heading through Reid.
Caught the NSX(on the tail of the 86) and stayed patient until Conrod.

86 takes the right side. I stayed behind the NSX on the left. Get thru The Chase, with the 86 turning into my passenger side and the NSX leaves room for me to stay outside. As we exit The Chase, again, side by side into the final turn and I come out quicker with fresher tyres. P6 for my troubles.

Trying the M4(A/S).

Last edited:
Grand chelem-ed my first slot for 190-ish points. Because of that I could use the race as a bit of a petrie dish for hopefully more competitive slots later. All laps within .8 of my fastest, which came on lap 7. Only towards the last 3 laps was there any alarming drops in grip and pace, yet I still extended on a 650 that was a similar pace in Q.

Ran Jag w/ BB +3 the whole race. Just had to be neat and tidy into the Esses and Forrests elbow.

In a lobby with almost no one I recognized and then realized it’s because I’m door 19 and these guys are normally a split or two above me.

Qualifying lap 1 was frustrating. Got stuck behind a slow Genesis that held me up all the way up and over the mountain. Passed it along Conrod but Q11 at the end of lap 1. Clear air, no slip in lap 2 and as I came out of Forrest Elbow I felt like I’d hooked it up pretty well. Caught the slip of the car in front as I crested the hill and by the time I crossed the line I was on his bumper. Crossed and to my amazement, Q2! The power drop wasn’t holding the Jag back.

Q1 was a Megane and Q3 another Jag. The Megane cleared out early and the two of us in Jags ran in formation nice and smooth for 6 laps while we built a gap to 4th. I let P3 past up Mountain Straight on lap 7 and dropped in behind. P1 held a 6 second gap and it was another 5 seconds back to 4th. At the end of Lap 9 the Megane was back to 4.5 seconds in front and promptly pitted for tyres. P1 took the opportunity to up the tempo and started to push hard across the top. Rather than shred tyres, I let him go and tried to preserve as best I could.

Everything was cool until lap 13 when I suddenly noticed the Megane was back up to 3rd and gaining about a second a lap. Into the cutting on lap 15 and he was within half a second. I was resigned to 3rd and the new goal became to secure a podium. Across the mountain he was all over me and I was preparing to watch him go straight past on Conrod when the unthinkable happens. He gets it completely wrong into Forrest Elbow and bounces off the inside and up onto the grass. Suddenly I’m over 3 seconds clear in 2nd and now I’m making time on 1st, whose tyres are clearly shot.

Last lap is faultless for me and for the briefest of moments I think I might be close enough for a win, but alas P1 holds it together well and despite losing another 2 seconds to the Megane, I cross in second.

174 points, my highest ever, and one and done. I love the Mountain and I love this Jag!

Last edited:
See how we go. Post qualy chat, seems like many ran into trouble. I had returned to the pits to run by myself. A Genesis and Vantage had aborted(I guess).
ExesJDoUYAELOFz

Last edited:

RCZ
NSX
NSX
NSX
NSX
NSX
Focus
Focus
WRX
Focus

16.953 for 1st, 17:360 for 10th. Some names I actually recognise too - Agu, Kajracer, Quinten and Servais all currently in the top 10.

Lead after the Scirocco finally succumbed to running high at The Cutting.
Pitted Lap 9(I had a steady 3-3.2 second gap ahead of the Vantage). Dropped to about 8th or 9th. Moved up and had to be patient with the C7s.
Lost it at Skyline and had to set up the C7s again, with two laps to go.
Finished with .2Laps in the tank. That M4 is thirsty.
IMG_20210327_223806.jpg
IMG_20210327_223812.jpg

NSX has no pace at the mountain. Quali 17th with no slip. Lap 1 was fine. Lap 2 I had to take avoiding action at the chicane and put 2 wheels on the grass, but got hit by a Huracan and spun out. Lap 3 got disco'd. What a torrid night for racing :lol: Anyway, spent my time testing cars at Sardegna instead.

I think Asia has NSX as meta; current World Record time is in that region with the NSX.
NA has a mix of NSX, Focus, and WRX.

Pit lane is just after the final jump, on the left.

RCZ
NSX
NSX
NSX
NSX
NSX
Focus
Focus
WRX
Focus

16.953 for 1st, 17:360 for 10th. Some names I actually recognise too - Agu, Kajracer, Quinten and Servais all currently in the top 10.

Thanks guys, that's more in line with what I expected. Just as I was saying this, the Oceania aliens have learned to use the NSX and is now populating half the leaderboard :P

WRX gives me the fastest time, with the NSX close second. NSX has good rotation but I feel it's a bit too "fragile" for the argy bargy racing we'll see in this race.

Focus is third fastest but it's a bit too understeery for me. Same with the Evo. GT-R, Mustang and Genesis just feels heavy. GT86 and RCZ handles great but lacks power. As for the Audi, the less said about it the better lol.

This is gonna be a fun race. I imagine there's gonna be lots of people wiping out on the front stretch jumps trying to take it 2 wide or at the wrong angle :lol:

Last edited:
I think hitting Exit in a daily race would immediately remove you from it entirely, but I could be wrong as I almost never do them. I play GT Sport almost exclusively for the FIA events. I imagine someone else can confirm/deny that pretty easily though!

It does, this trick only works in FIA qually , or a Qually session in a private lobby. Doing it in a daily race will just exit the race. :)

Last edited:
Oh well, there is no coincidence that my interest in GTSport faded a bit in the last few weeks after latest 2 updates were released and penalty system was almost disabled. At the same time I bought a new PC and started to go into ACC.

I wanted to race today for fun, but after this race I will quit GTSport for good, had two idiots that were weaving on Conrod for about 5-6 laps, completely killed my pace. I was patient, but after these laps I was blocked three times when trying to overtake by last second line change in the braking zone I decided it is enough.

Quit the race and will quit GTSport - if there is no fun racing there is no point racing...

Well that went poorly, qualified in a lowly 16th place after a mediocre lap 1 and getting blocked/held up on lap 2.

Start of the race went well and after about half way found myself in the battle for 10th. Sadly I completely bottled it and ended up finishing in 15th. Also turns out you can some of the downhill section to well and end up with a 1 second penalty. Going in again for a hopefully better go.

ATENZA ON THE TOP OF THE PODIUM, BWUHAHAHAHA. Started on pole, had a bit of a battle with a Dodge and then got past and slowly pulled away. The 🤬-box reigns supreme!

By far and away the race of my life. I had to completely hammer it the whole way to keep my lead. Absolutely smashed my previous best points result which was about 168 I think! :D

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210327145314.jpg

Last edited:
Attempt 1

Got an alright quali in. Q5. Second attempt was ruined after the car ahead of me crashed coming down the mountain.

Race got off to a smooth start, the two cars behind me, seemed up for a battle, so let them through, focusing on tyre management and not fighting.

Unfortunately missed my brake marker, only just managed to miss the two guys in front of me, but at the expense of my own race.

Down to P18. Finished P10.

Not too keen on these tyre management races, reckon I'll stick to my alt account and wait for the main season.

EDIT: Went again. Came home P5, for 133 points. Figured I could manage a race on my main account...

First attempt on main account, running P6 on lap 14....
Disconnected. Lost 1400DR... not sure I'll go again, pretty damn upset. All the best to those still running.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever been so far off the pace before. My Free Practice times are slower than most people's race pace. I can't explain it other than the McLaren now feels very.... Different. Touching the throttle or brake makes it feel aggessive and trying to turn makes the back-end feel loose. I am wondering if there was more than just a 1% power drop in the update because I don't feel my pace is THAT far off usually. Going to skip this round.

Qualified 14th due to messy qualification with folks gong off track and rejoining at slow speeds that just held everyone up. As for the race I got taken out in first lap and made a couple of errors due to trying too hard to make up places. So by lap 3 was last and not feeling happy.

Couple folks in FF cars came in lap 6 and I had decided to come in lap 8 forget tyre saving and just go for it. I don't think anyone no stopped this one though if I hadn't been taken out that was my original plan. So with pit stops and me managing to keep things clean, staying out of trouble with no big errors for rest of race I worked my way up to 11th by the end of the race.

Given the circumstances it could have been worse. Going to have some food and watch a movie then may try to do my original no stop plan in one of the later slots. Though I may just leave it and do some dailies for fun instead will have to see how I feel.

Last edited:
Thought I was really going to struggle here. I have poor straight line speed and the car wanted to kill me on most of my runs from Skyline to the Dipper. I decided to not move to 2nd until the Dipper and that worked to keep her stable. I crossed the line and was surprisingly 2nd. I guess that's the benefit of a clean lap. Loads of people were seconds off the pace. A handful got to do a second lap but failed to knock me off my front row start. First lap and 4th gets past the Portuguese driver behind. He closes in on me towards the Chase but decides to hold back. However I take too much kerb and the car slides allowing him into 2nd. Now the Portuguese driver closes and I get hit coming into the Cutting.

6917608272071524880_0.jpg

I thought he dived me but looking at the replay he got his nose alongside but failed to back out. I guess he was hoping for the inside at the 2nd apex. He'd have had an easy overtake along the Conrod if he'd waited.
I was spun into the wall on the outside but kept her in a straight line. However the car is grumpy and decides to spin on the way down to the Dipper. Facing the wall I have to reverse back and get going. Surprisingly I only lost a handful of places but was now outside the top ten. A few people have accidents and penalties and I spend the rest of the race in the group battling for 4th as the Portuguese driver was the only one to pit he lost his podium and at least was able to show me he could do a decent overtake after another spin put me behind him he went wide through Murray's to allow me back up; unfortunately it was an easy pass into Griffin's for him.
I had a really good battle with a 458 who eventually finished 3rd. I was able to hold him up. I had a better run through Murray's allowing me to gap him along the Mountain straight. He was also more cautious after Skyline meaning he wasn't close enough out of Forest Elbow. This was the status quo for a few laps before he was able to make the move through the Chase. I had a lovely clean battle with a German in a Merc including this overtake into Hells Corner.
6918171211287527952_0.jpg

Apart from the incident on lap two the battles I was in during this race were very clean and enjoyable. I crossed the line 8th in the end to equal my best points haul and gain a mighty 2 points on the Manu leaderboard.
Also gained 402 DR so all in all not a bad race.
I did say to the Portuguese driver the diving into the cutting was a bad idea. He did say sorry so I believe it was just a misjudgement from him. And the fact he threw away his podium makes up for it.

Back