2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Literally this, so I mentioned I'd already filmed it once prior (3 weeks ago ish) and that was 40+ minutes and had a bit more info. But in reality as you say the video could be 12 hours long with in depth look at each. You also have to remember each season is different, so Mclaren in a different season I imagine would be rubbish in others good and as always it's all personal opinion :D!

I think that video was the first one when I couldn't agree with Tidgney - he broke my heart when he put the Hyundai in the plebby manufacturer - I mean, I know the meme's and questions related but since some time Hyundai it's a pretty good manufacturer (especially for a beginner).

The Gr3 is competitive at most tracks(very similar with the Lexus Gr3 or AMG), and the Gr4 is a good car, very good on tyres(and very predictable) decent on fuel and very consistent. For sure in my view a lot better than the Gr4 SLS which is a pig since it got fat. The big downside of Hyundai is how the engine sounds, several times I thought my girlfriend started the coffee grinder when driving it.

I think that video was the first one when I couldn't agree with Tidgney - he broke my heart when he put the Hyundai in the plebby manufacturer - I mean, I know the meme's and questions related but since some time Hyundai it's a pretty good manufacturer (especially for a beginner).

The Gr3 is competitive at most tracks(very similar with the Lexus Gr3 or AMG), and the Gr4 is a good car, very good on tyres(and very predictable) decent on fuel and very consistent. For sure in my view a lot better than the Gr4 SLS which is a pig since it got fat. The big downside of Hyundai is how the engine sounds, several times I thought my girlfriend started the coffee grinder when driving it.

It's all good, different strokes for different folks :D! As always with those kind of videos I actually wanted to see other peoples views/opinions, some of them have been literally huge switches, others on a similar path. I love reading/hearing different views and opinions.

@Tidgney As many others I like your content Tidg' but please can you tell us why you hate Hyundai so much? I have no idea what these memes are :dopey:

It's normally always near the back in terms of outright performance, although there has been the odd exception. Best example would be Monaco 2019 world finals, Hyundai were in a different race it's quite often always been the case. As I say there's been the odd exception though :).

Ok now I get where the bad reputation comes from (didn't play GTS back then), plus the fact that Hyundai is not a fancy brand... Personally I kinda like their style!

Whatever you do tomorrow night, don’t try to no stop Softs(I think Meds are required anyways). I did a couple practice races last night and in the second one, I forgot to change back to mediums after Qually. I decided to run them anyways instead of stopping because I remembered seeing in the world tour events that they always say soft tires last the same amount of time as mediums. This isn’t true at all! :lol:

View attachment 1001725
View attachment 1001726

Driving the NSX, BB-5, I got the following results:

RM 1.58 (10 laps), then drop to 2.00 for remaining laps
RS 1.57 (9 laps), then drop to 1.59 for remaining laps (oversteer feels a lot worse though, due to the front/rear tyre imbalance. Also my tyre saving is better in 2nd run so in reality I probably could've made the meds last longer)

Usually from my experience, the magic ratio is 0.7 (e.g. softs last 0.7 x laps of meds, meds last 0.7 x hards). "Last" in this case means laptime dropoff >1 second.

However, the issue with the tyres in GT Sport is a half worn soft = fresh medium. A half worn medium = fresh hard in terms of laptimes.

That's why you hear WT drivers saying softs last as long as mediums. It actually doesn't, but because 50% worn softs are still pulling the same laptimes as 100% mediums, you can just keep using it for as long as the handling balance is reasonable. It's very rare that a car wears front & back tyres equally, so in most cases it's the imbalance of wear that makes the car undrivable, not the actual level of wear.

For comparison with real life F1 tyres:
image.png

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...the-bahrain-grand.1sIobI4YGs3664898xUOzl.html

In GT Sport, the red curve will basically just stay above the yellow curve and never intersect the yellow/grey.

I haven't watched Tidgney's video yet, and I know he's a much better/faster driver than I ever will be, but I do not think it's possible to make a completely accurate tier list for GT Sport.

- Different driving styles will suit different cars -> Tidgney doesn't suit the McLaren Gr.4, but I got 2 wins with it when I used it in FIA last year (most in a season).
- BOP could be changed at any time -> Mazda RXV went from a backmarker straight to being OP this season. Vice versa for FF Gr.4.
- Different tracks suit different cars and there's no guarantee a season is going to be balanced to cater to all cars.
- Tyre/fuel multiplier can have a huge impact on competitiveness -> WRX Gr.3 normally is average in Interlagos, but due to being a fuel race it became OP in last year FIA finals.
- Some cars are better in quali, but bad in race with fuel weight/tyre wear and vice versa.
- Consistency vs high risk high reward -> do you pick an average car over the course of a season, or one that is meta in 1-2 races and useless in the rest? I can't drive the NSX Gr.3 to save my life, but I picked it because I knew it would be meta in the Spa Wet race this season. I duly won it and got 200+ points, even though my other races average low 100s.
- If you're an alien, you can be fast with any car -> Mitsubishi in EMEA this season is right up there even though it's widely regarded as the worst manu.
- If you're going for the WT, you better hope there are no other fast drivers who picked the same manu as you. If you go for a "quiet" manu, then you better hope there are fast enough drivers in the other regions to help pull the points.

So there are a LOT of factors, and it's gonna be different for each person, track and season. That's why I feel the best way is to test the cars out yourself. But at the end of the day, unless you're already a regular top split frontrunner it's not going to make too much of a difference to your end result. So moral of the story, just pick what you like and enjoy driving ;) 👍
Rankings is a moving target which is why my response to that video had more of a "safe choice" angle to it. Bears repeating here but pick any version of GTS, I would say any of these three would be your best bets:

Porsche
Mercedes
Jaguar

Harder to choose the worst but Lamborghini would be up there for me.

People rag on the Hyundai for its lack of results at live events. Honestly nothing bad about Hyundai. In fact, a great beginner Manufacturer but the ceiling is limited.

Race 1 was hell. I got a 1.5 second penalty for getting divebombed into the Docks and spent the race sliding down the order, losing time mainly because I was braking too late and going deep into Pit Hairpin.

Then on the final lap, a guy shoved me into the wall at the narrow road between the pits and Sector 3 costing me 2 places. Whether the shove was intentional or not (due to how narrow the road was), I went hyper-aggressive and tried a dive at the final corner, only to end up spinning out the other guy that had passed me and sending him down to 18th. He was understandably furious with me, and I was not happy with my move after recovering from the red mist, in hindsight. Ugh. A terrible race on my part.

I’ll take another shot at it, despite the sour taste in my mouth. I really don’t understand why people insist on divebombing into the Docks on lap 1.

E37A8228-696A-4781-941D-D9EBE898CB84.jpeg

Matched with @RX8 Racer in my first race as a DR A driver. Stuck it on pole :)

1B365BBD-22CF-43F9-8CE2-9EFD76E0DAF8.jpeg

Ford GT blew his start and the McLaren in 5th had a great start so ended up with myself leading and McLaren in second approaching the Docks. I went slightly wide and got pushed out the way by the McLaren and fell back to 3rd behind the AMG. The 3 of us pulled out a 5 second gap. Occasionally swapping positions, the Ford finally caught us up. McLaren made a mistake and fell away so was back to 3 of us in a group all the way until the end of the race. Just couldn’t quite keep in the battle for 1st with very worn tires.

Don’t think anyone pitted.

94D6EFC5-5A34-4C88-9492-5FF257A8DF7D.jpeg

Last edited:
I still have no idea how Hyundai qualified for anything in 2019. Every race they were in at live events they seemed to be at least 20 seconds behind the next slowest car.
We qualified of the back of the Gr.4 car. The Gr.3 car was useless back then. Hyundai as a manufacturer is very bipolar. At some track the Genesis' can be one of the best cars, and then you get to a different track and the cars will be useless.

Just ran my first Manufacturers race of the season. I didnt plan to, but did several practices trying to help friends so thought what the heck.

It was brutal. My fastest lap around there for qualifying had me p19. But hugging the inside at the docks lap 1 had me up to p10by the end of lap 1. P7 heading to the hairpin lap 2.

From there it was downhill. People driving everywhere, trying to make it 2 wide in 1 lane corners, putting people into walls. By the time I got the level of the lobby I was battling for p13. Started dropping and got passed on the straight to the docks, but then they pulled in front. I made what I thought was a great ballsy pass through the complex, with no contact, that they felt was dirty. I nicked the wall exiting that next right giving them a run and they walled me in the tunnel as revenge?

Whatever. Nasty lobby, even a friendly face said it was the most brutal race they've had all calendar year. If there are more like it I'm glad I cant compete normally due to time slots. P19 to p15 will do for me.

Good luck everyone and avoid those walls
:cheers:

Decided to run the Mustang.
IMG_20210403_223214.jpg
IMG_20210403_223209.jpg

Started P9(time ran out when i was metres from the finish line. would have been up in the top 5). Got a good start(started on RM), but a yellow 458 in last, bulldozed cars behind me in T1 and then again at the entrance to the docks. Slowed us all up mid-pack. I dropped a couple spots and raced a Lancer and that same 458 for the first stint.

Slapped in the RS Lap 7/9.1laps of fuel left. Set FL and jumped both the Lancer and 458. Caught and passed a late stopping Genesis around Lap 10. Ran alone to the finish. Tyres okay with 0.9laps left in the tank.

3rd slot in Asia. Door 14. Got held up on my first qualifying lap and then a peanut tried to overtake me at the right hander before the hairpin on my second lap. Q15.

Cue the dirtiest Manu race I can remember. Every idiot wants to pass everywhere. In the first 5 laps I got punted into the docks, pushed into the tunnel wall, punted and pushed into the exit wall of the hairpin multiple times and pushed into the wall through the final esses. By the time that was all over, I was DFL. Fought back to get as high as p15, only to get squeezed into walls again and, finally, absolutely Murdered by a t-bone in the hairpin. 2 cars pitted, but they both caught me on lap 19. Finished DFL for 39 points.

Not sure whether to go again or not. This is a very, very savage combo, even without the Jag’s tyre shredding.

Well with the theme of the race being aggression I thought I'd throw in the perfect playlist. Start the list on the grid start and by the time it finishes you will have raced 30:12... that is IF you don't get punted off too much :)

We start of slow to give the race a chance, but as soon as things go south... all caution goes out the window!

• Blinding Lights - The Weeknd ('cause they are on!)
  • Traffic - Tiesto (hope you are not in it!)
  • Sabotage - Beastie Boys (if you do, bad luck!)
  • Song 2 - Blur (to get you rolling again!)
  • Firestarter - The Prodigy (you want to kick back!)
  • Papillon - Editors (no prisoners here!)
  • ZERSTOREN - Rammstein (no need to translate, no need for umlaut)
  • Last Resort - (pit, get those softs and go for it!)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5MycR5ObN3CjTDecifBOPo?si=OiGOhUWSRiis34Nc5U0G_Q

GOOD LUCK!! Don't let them take you without a fight!

Last edited:
Well with the theme of the race being aggression I thought I'd throw in the perfect playlist. Start the list on the grid start and by the time it finishes you will have raced 30:12... that is IF you don't get punted of too much :)

We start of slow to give the race a chance, but as soon as things go south... all caution goes out the window!

• Blinding Lights - The Weeknd ('cause they ar on!)
  • Traffic - Tiesto (hope you are not in it!)
  • Sabotage - Beastie Boys (if you do, bad luck!)
  • Song 2 - Blur (to get you rolling again!)
  • Firestarter - The Prodigy (you want to kick back!)
  • Papillon - Editors (no prisoners here!)
  • ZERSTOREN - Rammstein (no need to translate, no need for umlaut)
  • Last Resort - (pit, get those softs and go for it!)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5MycR5ObN3CjTDecifBOPo?si=OiGOhUWSRiis34Nc5U0G_Q

GOOD LUCK!! Don't let them take you without a fight!

Just put this one on repeat and you’ll be good to go. 👍

Last edited:
Grandpa... with THAT playing in the background you will be chewed up and spit out even before the docks
I am not in need of anger and aggression. Have you seen "Heartbreak Ridge" with Clint Eastwood? Remember the scene where they go running and everyone in the recon platoon just swamp him and out run him? Well that's the way I run my FIA races. Steady pace, steady and consistent. That's what works for me

Ranked #1 (hate that). Started 3rd. Bowling alley into the docks, ended up in 11th with damage. Fought my way through to a battle with a Lamborghini in the docks for 3rd on the last lap. Went for a late move into the docks and made it work, then got spun out as we came out of the second corner. Ended up 7th. He apologised straight after and 3rd would have barely been on the threshold of me deciding to stick with my points, so I guess I'm going again.

Last edited:
Well slot 1 was a bit of a cluster and probably the dirtiest race I have ever had. Qualified 14th nothing to say here other than I goofed a couple of times.

Oh god the race though, standing start was a mess of cars ghosting everywhere even some cars reversing, wtf! Then once we got to the docks I don't think anyone made the first corner through that complex. I would have but got punted twice leading into it. I knew it was going to be messy but this was Forza level bad.

That set the tone for the race I got punted, ground into walls and generally bullied by people playing Wreckfest. I briefly made it to 10th when some folks went into pits but with the way folks were forcing passes in places they really shouldn't have I was just going backwards.

Finished 16th at the line feeling a bit frustrated yet again with folks who seemingly have no intention of trying to race clean. I am giving it one more chance in slot 2 but yeah not holding my breath that it will be any better.

Edit: Slot 2 much the same Q14 finished 14 but again very messy race. While I feel I can do better and have the pace to do so I am not interested in Wreckfest racing in GTS.

Had some good races in what is my first manufacturers exhibition series but my overall feeling in one of frustration. I know I could do better and it's frustrating that I didn't a lot of the time because of folks bullying their way through or being dirty rather than actually racing.

Oh well there is always the next one I guess and I now have a target to aim for now I have done this once.

Last edited:
Back