2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 21, 2020.

1. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Well, that was definitely the most manic opening lap I've ever had in GT Sport. I started 6th in the Mazda TC. It started with a Dino that passed me before Turn 1. The move itself wasn't a problem, but because he of course had to slow down more for Turn 1, I had to slow down with him. That allowed the Mazda behind us to get a run past me and go for a move in the flat-out Turn 2 on the Dino. They slightly touched, which of course upset the Dino, allowing me to get inside the Dino going into Turn 3. At the same time, another Miata tries to go up the inside of me, so of course me and the Dino collide and almost spin out. Somehow we both save it, and all 3 of us swap sides (me still being in the middle), and our skirmish allowed another Dino to get a run on all of us and temporarily make it 4 WIDE on the short run down to the super-tight Turn 4. The Dino that passed me into Turn 1 has somehow kept it on the track up until this point, and I brake early as there are now 2 Dinos in front of me going into the slowest corner on the track, but the Miata TC from before that made it 3-wide into Turn 3, bumps me into the Dino that passed me at the start, forcing him off track.

We still weren't done though. On the long uphill run to the banked turn, I got passed either side by a Stratos on my right and a Dino on my left (I'd stayed to the left side of the track and let the Stratos have the inside going up the hill so I could have the inside for the banked turn if he didn't clear me before then, and the Dino drove around the outside of me when I turned in for the kink before the steep climb). I tried to back out, but couldn't get out of the sandwich in time due to their need to brake earlier. That put fully on the grass on the inside of the banked turn, while the Stratos got a 1s penalty for "forcing" me there (he probably got unstable from the contact and his car was turning into me no matter what he did).

Still not done. Going into the next right-hander, we were 4-WIDE AGAIN. The Dino, Stratos, and another Miata clear me before the turn, but still another Miata punts me into the Miata that's now in front of me, spinning them.

STILL NOT DONE. Going into the final turn, a Dino and Stratos are battling, so I try to give them some room and hopefully get a good exit from the final turn. The Stratos puts 2 wheels on the outside gravel turning in to the final turn, causing him to nearly spin out into the Dino that's now inside. They would've made contact anyway, but the Stratos might've been able to straighten out had I not been punted from behind into the Dino, who was then launched into the Stratos, who got fired off into the gravel on the exit of the corner. I ended the lap in 12th, then got passed by the Dino from the final corner on the straight, who then almost lost it in Turn 1, giving me back 12th. From then on it was just me picking up spots to cars who lost it elsewhere on the track, and getting re-passed by Stratoses and Dinos, until I eventually finished 9th and 135 points (would've been 8th before another Dino out-dragged me to the finish line). A Miata actually won by over 9s, so they're not hopeless, but I wasn't that quick around the track to begin with, so even if I'd been able to keep up with the lead pack, I'd have ended up with a low points finish anyway.

DK, watto79, Razgriz2118 and 2 others like this.
  2. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

With some of the positive reports of the Nations race that I read this morning and finding Mistah_MCA's YouTube channel showing qualifying laps and strategies for the race, courtesy of Super GT's latest video, I decided to try it, and after only around 10 minutes of practice I felt very comfortable in the car and the track, thanks to Mistah_MCA's guide. This is actually the first race I've participated in without the cone markers for braking and turning references. I have to say, this is a fun race. In my lower-A level lobbies, it was dominated by Miatas, there were only two Stratos and one Dino in the first race and three Stratos in the second race.

The first race I qualified poorly. The guy in front of me on the first flying lap binned it on T1 and I passed, but he didn't back off at all which compromised my sector 1 time. On the second flying lap, he didn't back off my rear at all before the start of the lap, and tried to pass me at T1, forcing me to brake early and ruining my lap, while he also ruined his lap by going wide again and binning it. Which was a shame because he was quick, clean, and consistent, qualifying 12th but finishing 2nd. Anyways, starting from P8, I was attacking and defending as the guy behind me was pretty good and the guy in front of me was slow. I finally got a run on the guy in front of me into T1, I was on the outside and he decided to smack into me and shove me into the grass, so I lost 3 positions. I almost immediately regained one from a guy ahead spinning out, and soon I was back on the tail of the guy who punted me. I ended up passing him with little drama because he messed up, and then I gained another place from someone ahead disconnecting. I ended up catching back up to a group that contained 3rd-7th place and was tailing them the entire time, eventually passing P7 on lap 10 but going wide on T1, allowing him back past. The lack of practice showed though because again, I wasn't staying consistent.

I decided to enter another race because of the first one, and this one went way better. In qualifying, I messed up my first flying lap, but the second lap I did, which included a tow only on the final runout of the main straight, was enough to secure P3. For the race, P2 in a Miata was harassing P1 in a Stratos, but it slowed them both down enough for me to catch up and have a small battle with P2 before messing up Sector 1, allowing both him and P4 to pass me. They then started pulling ahead by a tenth or two every lap from me. I noticed that I was strongest in Sector 1, especially T1, as I could easily close around 0.3-0.6s of the gap through there, but Sector 2 and Sector 3 are where I'm weaker and they could pull away. I actually got the fastest lap on Lap 11, and by Lap 12 both Miatas in P2 and P3 caught up to the Stratos in P1 to make it three wide across the finish line, with me around 2 seconds behind. Worthy of mention was that someone showed up in an ND Miata for this race, qualified last, but finished in 16th, beating three TC Miatas and one guy who ragequitted.

I really don't think my eyes can take more than 2 races in a row though because they're starting to hurt, and when I practiced hotlapping again for a third race I started getting sloppy on all the corners and braking points, so I decided to skip the next race. I'm debating if I want to do the final round in an hour for now, but I probably won't. I might only do two of the races tomorrow as well, or space out three. I definitely don't think I'm experienced enough to have the focus/endurance/eyes-not-hurting for more than three races.

3. deviln3

deviln3

Race Report 1:
    Had a bad qualifying session, started dead last in 20. Kept it clean and avoided incidents. Made up places, to have a three way battle for 10/11/12th spot. All three of us swapped position for the last 6 laps, I ended up 12th.

Race Report 2:

Started qualifying early and raced to get to the front. After first lap of qualifying, crossed the line in 1st place, only to be knocked off the track in the first corner of lap 2. Ended up qualifying 4th.

Had a good dogfight with 3rd place for a while, which allowed 5th place to catch us. For about 9 laps, we traded 3/4/5th place in many different order. Everyone kept it clean and fair. There was some shake & bake, but I lost concentration on the 10th lap and put 2 wheels on the grass, and dropped down to 5th. Couldn't catch 3/4th, overdrove the car for a few laps and settled for 5th. Fun high quality racing.

Couldn't concentrate for the full race, so need to work on that.

jimihemmy and Pigems like this.
  4. MIE1992

MIE1992

Had a fantastic Nations Cup race, a clean Q4/P3, with an intense three-way battle for third early on. Ended up getting enough additional DR that I’m now up to 29xxx, the highest it’s ever been for me.

DK, Pigems, UjiOgami15 and 6 others like this.
  5. Peddler13

Peddler13

That was very fun, but my house of the rising sun paint job failed to ward others off (infact I think it did the complete opposite).
    I qualified really well in my 3 tries. Qualified 4th in my last attempt, had a really good battle with 5th but got fatigued and dropped to 10th. That was still my best result though :p
    Did have lots of fun (the name of the game) :)

deviln3 and Pigems like this.
  6. vvise

vvise

a couple of the FF cars actually seem to be decent at Laguna Seca. The pug is not one of them :(

Pigems and Redneckchef like this.
  7. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Question: when creating a room to emulate FIA races, is it possible to create the required tire choices, or is it on the honor system? I did not find the setting. Only the Min/Max tire spec settings.

Likewise, is it possible to configure the penalty gates or just the self-served types in private rooms?

8. Peddler13

Peddler13

/\ I was going to ask the same thing

I can't find those settings in a lobby or for a custom race.
    Also, in a custom race, the tyre wear and fuel depletion seems a bit more restricted. Can anything be done about this?

Pigems likes this.
  9. The_Tullster

The_Tullster

Custom race will only do 10x, you have to go to lobby for higher multipliers. Not sure about forcing tyre use.

Pigems likes this.
  10. SabanSon

SabanSon

Another good race by everyone. A near podium finish, less than half a second behind P3. M

The tyre changes were:

Laps 1-8 RH
    Laps 9-12 RM
    Laps 13-15 RS with added fuel from 1.2-3.6

Cheers

IMG_20200506_165658.jpg

SweatyC, VulcanSpirit and Pigems like this.
  11. GR33N

GR33N

Oh you were GTPEDIA ? That was indeed a nice close-battle race until I - like you said - went too hard on the throttle on the grass inside that turn and hit the wall.... Was down to 12th I think but made my way back to 7th. Was nice racing with you. I was trying to "work" together with you and the others you mentioned to close the gap to the top 3 but people (except yourself) didn't seem open to cooperate... :/

I lost a couple SR points in that race so I decided to gain it back in a Daily A before the next FIA slot. Well, that was a baaad idea. Despite being on pole thanks to my 12.1xx qually time at Tsukuba, I got murdered multiple times and lost a LOT of SR points. So my next (and last, sadly) FIA was worth 74 points for the win in a mixed lobby...

Let's hope Laguna will be more welcoming!

12. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

In for the 3rd round of the night at Laguna Seca, hopefully all the Alfyotas have cleared out already for a comfy Ferrari 5th place :D

13. FUNanywhere

FUNanywhere

Nations turned out to be a disaster. Performed pretty badly. Lost 5K DR as well :p

Pigems likes this.
  14. Hallitrd

Hallitrd

Nice to see CS tires used at Sardegna. Those N100/200 cars seems to handle them very well, while SH seems sometimes to be overkill for those less powerful cars. Well done PD!
    Is this common that CS tires are used for the "Daily" races and FIA races, or is it an exception?

Pigems likes this.
  15. SweatyC

SweatyC

EC02FBF0-0745-41D6-9061-B7FAD439C0FD.jpeg

Reasonably happy with the result as the Viper isn’t very quick here.

Qualified 11th which wasn’t bad but it did mean I had to start bang on the corner! Started on Mediums and lost a couple of places to people on Softs who got past pretty easily. Pitted lap 7 for Hards and then pitted again next lap for Softs and fuel. Viper is decent on fuel so only had to put in 1.5 laps worth to top it up. Was in 7th after everyone else pitted and annoyingly got a track limit penalty on the last lap so dropped to 8th.

7M/1H/7S

16. Peddler13

Peddler13

I was seeded into a room full of D graded dr's with one A grader.
    In the race the A grader drove off into the distance and won be almost a lap :p

dlshearon, DK, RacingGrandpa and 2 others like this.
  17. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

My manufacturers race was mostly uneventful. I was sort of steady with some random blips most laps, but nothing to cause problems. Start on mediums, pit to run lap 9 on hards while.topping up.with fuel, grab softs next time around and head out. Looking good. Started p11 cause I hopped some sausage only qually lap, but now in a spot to fight for p6. Only an Aston wiped out on the left hander up the hill. I go around, and he either forgets he has dirty tires or just rages because he completely t-bones me as I turn for the corkscrew. And I had left room for him to turn inside me on the first part as well. I drop back thanks to that, but do manage to take advantage of pit strategy and another spin to claim p8.

More points, but this time I am annoyed as my misfortune was 1 pretty savage hit from someone who actually quit the lobby after that. Not even an apology. Wanker.
    But still a best result so I will take it. Didnt drive flashy, didnt drive terrible so it'll do.

barak181, LVS_1986, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  18. Peddler13

Peddler13

Looking forward to the Lamborghini Hurrican race at Monza on Saturday. They actually drive pretty good on the Hard tyres.

MCL1974, Pigems and RacingGrandpa like this.
  19. schnick

schnick

Stratos-faction!
    [​IMG]

Tidgney, SmokeyMR2 and Pigems like this.
  20. UjiOgami15

UjiOgami15

I was so slow at last nations, how much everyone is practicing for these races?
    I ll skip laguna Seca today as it turned out is a track were I really suck in any car, no point in coming out p18 and lose other 1000 Dr as I m barely at 31k

Pigems likes this.
  21. Pigems

Pigems Premium

I usually put in at least 2/3 hours practice for a race, when I can that is. :)

barak181, dlshearon and SmokeyMR2 like this.
  22. UjiOgami15

UjiOgami15

Well thank you Pigems, but I was talking about players around my Dr, you re far beyond my pace :)

Pigems likes this.
  23. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Laguna Seca and the Huracán really don't mix in group 4 from my times so far. The car has just a little understeer on entry to corner which just kills my pace for the lap. Sort of regretting my choice and it's only 4 rounds in. Very circuit specific cars in both categories but should have some strong combos coming up hopefully.

Redneckchef, Pigems and RacingGrandpa like this.
  24. Famine

Famine Administrator

Heh, I didn't know you were a GTP member :D

That last corner where the four of us went in together and came out together in a different order, with no contact and no penalties, was excellent - except I went in first and came out last :lol: I think I bump-drafted you on the following straight too as I guessed that was what you were doing the lap before.

dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  25. stpatty

stpatty

It depends on the car/track combo, but usually I do around 20-30 laps in free practice and one or two lobby sessions purely to see how long each tyre compound lasts and try to figure out a strategy. I'm actually in the mood for today's race so I'm spending a bit more time on it (even though the Gr.4 GT-R at Laguna Seca is a waste) but ~50 laps is probably the absolute most I ever do.

26. GR33N

GR33N

I remember that very well, you had three cars in front of you at the beginning of the straight and when you bumped me I was like "he chose me because he knows I'm the fastest driver of the three!" just to go wide at the next corner and end up last of the group haha

Redneckchef, dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  27. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Very boring race tonight. Huracan really doesn't suit this track at all and everyone pretty much already knows the best strat from last season. Almost everyone finished where they qualified. Had someone trying to put me in the wall heading up the corkscrew on final lap but passed him anyway, only for he to divebomb me on the penultimate corner. Such is the quality of racing in second split :lol:

I'm struggling with Lambo too this season. The Gr.4 just doesn't suit my driving style at all. Coming from Citroen/McLaren the previous 2 seasons it requires the complete opposite driving style. Fast in straights but not very good brakes unlike the other 4WD cars (and you need to move BB back to preserve fronts which makes it worse). Great traction but as soon as you start accelerating the usual MR nose lightening behaviour starts and compounds the understeer. Fuel wise it's ok but you cannot short shift too much as it makes most power at high revs.

The Gr.3 has good rotation (too good sometimes) but kills rear tyres. Also it isn't as fast in a straight line as it used to be. Used to be able to reach 278-279 km/h but there was an update last year that nerfed all MR cars top speed (except the F1 GTR & Pug VGT), so it only reaches 276 km/h now which is average. Fuel situation is similar to Gr.4.

We have a couple of power tracks coming though so hopefully we'll start evening the odds soon :tup:

28. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

This is me too, usually. I usually run 15-20 laps in free practice over several different sessions (because I like racing the dailies sometimes, too), and I aim to get another 15-20 laps in with the race settings in a lobby. I'm not that picky on whether that is an actual race or not, although sometimes it is helpful to get a sense of where overtaking is reasonable and potential trouble spots in traffic.

dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  29. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

You know Lamborghini is bad when I'd rather be in a Ferrari after the last update.

RacingGrandpa and Pigems like this.
  30. The_Tullster

The_Tullster

Time is usually an issue so not much, but I try to get at least 15 - 20 laps. If it's a track or car I don't know well and I can't get at least 20 laps, I'll skip the round for the sake of the other drivers not having a loose cannon in the race.

Manu tonight P16 > P10. Bad choice of pit strategy combined with a session on the beach at the last corner of lap 11 probably cost me a place or two, but on the other hand three drivers who missed the tyre requirements gifted me their places due to the 60 second penalty.