2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Couple of real sprints today, in Round 11! The Brands Hatch race, in particular, is fast and furious. Less than 20 minutes! Just 13 laps of qualifying pace, no tire changes, no refueling, and hopefully no 'offs'!

The Suzuka race in the Toybarus went by pretty quickly in the sim I ran as well... tires fall off a little, but the nine laps go by quickly.

Not a bad thing, some variety is good, and it's not a bad idea to throw in a few sprints like these if you ask me. Hoping that it means that after the initial first few turns and laps, that you can settle in and earn a deserved finish, without the shuffling of pit stops. Qualifying will be key, though, because there are not a lot of passing opportunities in either race, especially the Gr3 race at Brands Hatch.

EDIT/UPDATE: wow... seeing some pretty fast lap times for the Suzuka race... I think I'm going to struggle to get any points worth keeping. But looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. DK

DK Premium

Got screwed out of a good quali lap after someone quit their lap right in front of me and got me slapped with a penalty, and then sentenced to the Dirge of Disappointment thanks to a French rammer right at the end of the Esses on L4, plunging me from 9th to 16th and costing me 12 seconds. The only consolation is that someone else got him back and sent him down to his natural habitat of 18th.

3. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

Q20, first 3 laps and Im 12, than completely forgot what Im doing, spin out exiting 130R, dropped to 15, next lap same stupid mistake, 20.. Rest of the race my toyota is in pit and I go for a walk:)
    Btw lost 3k dr... Next try will be easier;) back to my natural habitat B

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. stpatty

stpatty

Started 17th after being blocked on my two attempts at a qualifying lap. End of lap 7 I'm up to a fight for 10th with Famine and a Bulgarian guy, surprised at how enjoyable the race has been and how it's been a nice boost for me after having no expectations and getting something nice out of it in those circumstances for a change.

I follow Famine going up to 130R, with the Bulgarian on the inside. He then attempts to occupy the outside, puts me on the grass, I clip the succ zone on the outside of 130R and vanish. What a ****ing performance that was.

5. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

I think Brands Hatch is going to be a rough one today might just skip this week. Struggling to get consistent 1:24xxx only able to achieve low 1:25xxx race pace and that ain't going to get the job done.

LVS_1986 and Pigems like this.
  6. Famine

Famine Administrator

I lost a full 2s behind him. Crazy blocks and weird positioning - only got past by a bit of an elbows out move from the hairpin all the way to 130R (would have looked excellent from your vantage point :lol: ). Would have had ninth thanks to the guys getting penultimate lap penalties.

7. watto79

watto79

My first attempt at Nations suffered a "disconnect" as in I did the qualifying and then my PS4 decides it's too hot today and turns itself off. That event cost me 1600 DR :lol: So I furiously rip the (launch day) console apart and blow out all the dust ready for the 2nd slot.

This went much better. Qualified 3rd with @SmokeyMR2 starting in 12th. The leader makes a gap for themselves but on lap 4 bins it at 130R while P2 simultaneously has a big wobbly moment. This was a near copy of what happened to me on the last lap at Spa as I ALMOST missed the braking point with the drama around me being pretty distracting, but manage to get it stopped in time.

After that Lando in the lead slowly pulls away and I pull away from P3. This allowed me to drive within myself and just look after the tyres to bring home my first podium in a really really long time.

Massive shout out to @SmokeyMR2 for moving up from 12th to 5th. I watched the replay and you really played the sensible game of keeping out of trouble and never forcing any overly ambitious moves, and it really paid off. There was a fair amount of chaos going on so was particularly impressive. Good save when you put a wheel wide at 130R too :)

Nations 0206.jpg

8. O604

O604

I'm nervous about my Nations race today. I'm confident in this combo but I know the competition will be tough. Good luck everyone.

Good Luck.png

Started 3rd. Won!

First FIA win for me. :D

My pass for the win. Excellent sportsmanship/driving from the leader.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Lost Sheltie, 05XR8, OR_2020 and 11 others like this.
  9. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Was taking a look a the official news release about the conclusion of Stage 1 of the 2020 FIA Series. I have to say: congrats to the Canadians on the Nations victory. Even at my amateur level, there are a disproportionately high number of fast Canucks, and it's usually a real pleasure to have them in the field. Seems there are some strong ones all the way up to the top of the ranks, in the spirit of the Villeneuves, Greg Moore, Robert Wickens, and others who come from 'north of the border'.

Tipping a frosty, cold Blue your way, and good luck to all in Stage 2.:cheers:

10. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Thanks for the help. I just finished my first race then and it didn't exactly go according to plan....

I'm on about 27k for DR and I qualified 4th which I was really happy with. I did a false start and then dropped to 11th within the first two corners, then I collided with someone who spun out and got a 3 second penalty and dropped to 16th. I managed to fight my way back up to 12th which wasn't too bad all things considered.

Great fun though and such an intense race, I'm hooked now! I think I'll try again at 21:40. I'll probably have a go at Brands Hatch tomorrow although from what I'm reading in here that might be a mistake.

Thanks again for the help!

11. DK

DK Premium

1200DR pissed away because I was dumb enough to subject myself to another race. I got caught in a tussle in the Esses on my 1st quali lap and spun out on my 2nd one, leaving me 19th. I managed no higher than 14th before getting sandwiched under braking for Casio and getting the blame and a 1s penalty, but I didn't even get to serve that before getting shoved off in the Degners. To cap it all off, I got caught in another sandwich into 130R on the final lap as 1 penalised car shoved another right into my path, and then rammed me at the exit of Casio, sentencing me to 18th out of 18 finishers.

I'm not wasting tomorrow with the naive belief that I'll get placed with some clean drivers around the confines of Brands Hatch.

12. DaddyDaFoe_

DaddyDaFoe_

Decided to pass Nations today. Road car + Suzuka is not a good combo for me. And I'm still thinking about doing Brands Hatch tomorrow on the Jag, might skip it too. Good race for those who haven't done theirs yet!

LVS_1986, Razgriz2118 and Pigems like this.
  13. ImRingo

ImRingo

I found out over the weekend that I was eligible to be a "star driver". I always just assumed that S DR was just like, the top 150 or whatever of A+ but I guess you get it if you are currently in the top whatever of your region in any of the current championships regardless of your actual DR rank (mine is currently A rank).

Practiced last night for the Nations race and I felt very comfortable in the car at Suzuka. Set a pretty good time trial time against my friends so felt good for the race. Race session time, qualified second. I was super surprised because the guy that took pole did the lap with no draft partner and edged me out by 0.2 seconds. Props to them. In the race, I took back 1st position in the first turns. I held it for 3 or so laps until the guy in 2nd took it from me in the same first corners. 2 laps later, my front tires died suddenly. No warning at all I take my normal braking point and driving line through the first turn and I go pretty wide losing like 4 positions. I guess I drove the car too hard in the beginning. Everyone else seemed ok pace wise so I guess it was just a mistake on my part. Ended up 6th which given where I qualified is not ideal but I'll take it.

Starting up some practice for the Manu race tomorrow but seeing how it is at Brands Hatch...and I'm in the Group 3 GT-R...I envision I will come to the conclusion that I should skip this race this round lol. Something tells me it is going to be quite hard to race against the more handling focused cars at Brands Hatch.

E: Did the practice. Got into a lobby full of S and A+ ranked Brazilian drivers. The GT-R has promise from the looks of it (top Nissian driver also has a TT time in the top 10 so far) but man it REALLY wants to spin out on every turn. It's going to be a stressful race but it might be doable. 80% sure I'm doing the race tomorrow.

14. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Nations Race at Suzuka in Toybarus:

Was looking forward to this one, though didn't expect much. Q5 after grabbing the pole on my first and second laps, lost it to faster laps and couldn't put in a great 3rd lap, so aborted it to let another fellow through.

Almost botched the start, forgot to account for the tire slip on the standing start, so with TCS at 0, lost 5th place to a guy on the inside line (Thanks, Ayrton, I would have been on the inside on a normal track, but the famous dirty line on the outside of T1... more on that in a moment).

Up the hill for the first time, got squeezed on the apex, and let off rather than spin the guy. Mistake, as I lost a position to the guy pressuring me. Next time, I'm spinning the *****. Use your radar. Or don't be a ****.

After that, at the end of the first lap, heading into 130R, side by side, I don't back off but I do leave room for the outside guy to do as he pleases... which he proceeds to do by going wide, and then mashing his throttle pedal into the Casio chicane, ramming me and stealing my position, which also results in me losing to the close car behind us. ******

I then proceed to leave that bystander guy the inside line in T1, having slipstreamed him on the main straight (mistake, should have stayed behind). The Blue ***** takes himself wide, which I should have reveled in, but instead, because of that slippery outside line I'm on, careful of the white car inside of me-- I loop it.

I end up 15th before my ghosting experience is over, and am left to fight my way back up to 10th. Was held up by 3 sec a lap until I could get to 10th place, and by then 6th place was out of frame, while I watched 7-8-9 fight it out, hoping (sorry) that they might ball it up and hand me a few spots. They didn't.

DR scraps to hold my rating level and throwaway FIA series points, in a room where I was door 13, with a chance to at least grab useful series points + some DR in a one-and-done. My own mistakes, compounded by being too nice and getting torpedoed by an idiot who I am certain has done that before in other races that I've been in.

Wasted opportunity. May try it again tonight.

EDIT/UPDATE: did try it again, and that particular lobby was loaded with people I was not thrilled to see, save for one PSN friend who I was glad to run with... the race was a total clown show from start to finish, starting with me getting a 4 sec penalty because was sandwiched between cars on all four sides in the first turn, and was pingponged by the mob, and after being rammed again from all four directions by the end, was able to get 7th, three spots on the debauchery on the last lap alone. As brutal an FIA race as I've been in. Positive DR and most likely throwaway FIA points, I'm looking ahead to Brands Hatch now.

15. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

I feel your pain. I just lost 3000DR by trying to better my 12th place finish. I got rammed in to the hairpin by some guy playing snooker when he had no chance of making the pass he was attempting. I was having a good race and dropped 5 races and got a 1 second penalty to add insult to injury. It was an SR: S/99 lobby too and the guy already had 8 seconds worth of penalties. Bad way to end what was a fun day.

DK, LVS_1986, JEverettL and 2 others like this.
  16. Baka_Marimo

Baka_Marimo Premium

I would've loved to take part in today's Nation Cup race but work had other plans. I love racing slow road cars, especially at Suzuka. Anyway, I just selected my cars for the next one:

1st slot Ford F-150 :lol:
    2nd slot AMG GT S
    3rd slot 2020 Supra
    4th slot Ferrari F50

I don't care too much about achieving high scores. These N-class races where you can drive whatever you like are way too rare to not enjoy the heck out of them :D I hope I can make the time to take part in all four slots :tup:

17. meekrab

meekrab

Managed to miss the first three timeslots because I simply forgot today was Suzuka! :dunce: Does anyone know if there's any difference between the two cars other than that the BR Z is available in WR Blue? :cool:

LVS_1986, Pigems and barak181 like this.
  18. barak181

barak181

I missed the first three slots because of work. Does a one-stop really lose you as much time as I hear or is it a viable option for DR.B?

SmokeyMR2 and Pigems like this.
  19. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Ran a BR Z to a 3rd in a field where it was mixed and the the two guys in front ran the 86. Go with the WR Blue and even if the 86 is possibly faster in your room, you'll look cool.

Nobody in my race pitted from what I could tell. Drop off wasn't really there, nor was fuel. Was at like lap 7 or 8 and wondering why pit stops where being mentioned here.

20. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

I've read that the suspension setups are slightly different and the engines are different. Could be just in my head but I liked the Toyota better, it seemed sharper with less roll and was easier to unload the front wheels in the esses, compared to a short drive in the Subaru. But most seem to think they're essentially the same.

There's no need to pit. Tires will be about 40%-45% or more worn red by end if you are hard on them, but instead of stopping, just try to balance the car in the esses for 9 laps: unload the fronts as much as you can with some nice throttle before the apex, and on the last two laps, if you're careful, you'll have more grip than others and may steal a place or two by staying online. You can't make up the time it takes to pit with fresh tires though.

21. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Well now, what a night that was! Things started off pretty good, ended up in top split with a mid door number because not many people came out to race tonight, it wasn’t even a 300 point room. I got lucky and qualified P5, but that’s where the fun ended in this one. :lol: Race starts and before I get out of sector one, I’ve already got 3s in penalties from two minor bumps in traffic thru T1 and T2, eff. That drops me back to 15th I think before the lap is over, rough start. Then after working my way back a bit I get a 1.5s for taking a bit too much off the final chicane, drop back again. Then, lol, I’m catching up to a guy thru sector one and going into degner he brakes more then I was expecting him too and I bumped him a bit and he goes slightly off, I slowed down to give him the place back and proceed on. But as I get up beside him he decides to run me off the road, eff that, I was already sour at that point and that did it. Punted him to the moon at the hairpin and took another 5s, finished 16th and SR 86. :lol:
    CE6135D3-516F-4D24-8C27-DC71F72725BF.png

Next race was an SR farming race, mixed room with only me and one other S driver. Qualified P1 but he got by early, so I just stayed behind him the entire race and waited for an opportunity. It came on the last lap, I got a better exit out of degner and went around the outside on him thru the hairpin, I had cleared him by the time we got to spoon, it was pretty sweet! It turned out to be a really nice race and I was back up to SR99 for the next one.
    D8BDF82E-5BA5-488C-AEBC-35956EF9EDD0.png

Last race of the night, back into the 1.5 split room with another mid range door number. This time I caught a nice draft on my second Q lap and wound up starting P4. The race started much better this time with everyone making it through the first bit cleanly, I hung onto the draft of the lead 3 just long enough for P5 to fall out of my draft, around lap 6 I think it was. Finished P4 for 237pts, that’s as good as it’s gonna get for tonight. :)
    53D32292-CD10-40E1-91E5-722EE942911D.png

22. barak181

barak181

Great. I have a black screen during qualifying. This is great. I'll upload a screenshot when I'm not hoping for a view of true track to appear.

SmokeyMR2, LVS_1986 and Pigems like this.
  23. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Don’t exit the race, just exit the track! Go into the tuning screen and back out and it should be back to normal.

24. barak181

barak181

I did and it didn't. :confused:

Pigems likes this.
  25. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Damn, sorry about that. It’s worked for me in the past. Did you get to race?

SmokeyMR2 likes this.
  26. barak181

barak181

I did. Things went back to normal when the FIA intro started. It turned out to be one of the stupider races I was a part of recently, though. I'll post a report later, I'm going to try again. Hopefully for real, this time.

Pigems, LVS_1986, wedjim and 2 others like this.
  27. meekrab

meekrab

Well, I took 2nd in the 8pm race with door number 17 for 187 points and 1500 DR, so that feels pretty good. Unlikely to do better on points so I guess it's off to Sardegna! :cheers:

Just a quick edit to note the importance of qualifying: I put in a 2:36.15 to start third, *tenth* was still under 2:36.5. Seems like there was some drama during quali though as the next driver was in the 37s.

Pigems, Hasnain282, LVS_1986 and 4 others like this.
  28. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

Decided to skip the Nations race and did some practice for the Manufacturer's tomorrow, but even after 16 laps I for the life of me could not stay consistent in pace. I'm talking about having lap time variations in the 1 second range. I'm still working on trail braking and not turning-in too early, and Brands Hatch requires both of that to nail it and I just can't do it. I'm braking earlier than necessary for a corner, which then means next time around I brake later, but it's still too early, try again, and I get a much better run, but then I always start overcooking it one way or another, whether it's not trail braking correctly or turning in too early. Guess I'll wait til Saturday's races.

29. MIE1992

MIE1992

Got a clean Q15/P4 at Suzuka tonight! I don’t think things could’ve gone much better!

30. jimihemmy

jimihemmy Premium

19:40 EDT Nations Cup: Suzuka Circuit

I knew I was in trouble when I arrived at the paddock and found the stewards put #1 on my door. After a quiet out lap, I'm in a groove....then I wasn't. Somehow I had botched 130R after landing it consistently in practice. After two more laps, I end up qualifying 16 out of 19.

As the race starts, a few botch the standing start and I aim for the middle. P9 had a delayed start which caused P11 and P13 to around each side. P15 tried to go around him on the left but P9 gets going and moves to the left also cutting off P15. P15 runs pout of room and taps him on the left rear and slams on the brakes just as he gets his left tires on the grass. His car skids and is now pointed and travelling to the right. He hits me in my LF tire and it pushed me to the Wal on the right. I catch it just enough to only scrape the wall but I get the 1 second penalty for hitting another car....
    And it slowed me down just enough to put me in P19.

Eventually, a few fall off and I am in P15 by lap 5. I slowly creep up on P13 and P14 as they keep loosing time defending from each other. P14 crashes off on lap 8 on the right after DegnerCurve and I pass him as he gets back open track. I am now about 3 seconds behind P13 but his tires must be toast. I am on the inside as we approach Spoon Curve on lap 9. I brake a little early and he brakes just a tad too late and starts to skid off. This gives me just enough space to ease by and pull away.

I hold him off for 13th. Not great but not last!

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200602202700.jpg Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200602202725.jpg

See you out on the track!