2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. ToddSalad

ToddSalad

Just watching this thread like

2. Odiesback

Odiesback

Nice to see you there! I started right behind you in 7th and finished the same way!

Great job hanging on to those Mediums to the end! It worked just right for you! I had two stops and finished just behind the block you em you’re in!

It was a great and fun race!

3. Michelin Man

Michelin Man

Ah that'd be me in the NSX, nice to see another GTP'er :cheers:. It was a nice quiet race, had a nice little train going with a group of us for most of the race from about p5-p8, all clean and fair. I like quiet races like that :lol:. However, it wasn't quite perfect for myself, I went with the 5S/3M/5S strategy, which seemed to be ideal for the NSX, however like the numpty I am, I messed up my fuel strat...Fuel saving was going very well until I pitted for a splash on lap 8 when I went in for mediums, as I basically took on 1lap-1.5laps less fuel than I should've. As a result, whilst I came out in that p5-p8 group, I had to really save fuel. And in the end it was too much, last lap was a crawl, and I ran out 100m from the line, finishing 10th as a result :ouch:.

Not ideal, but I'll take the DR and SR boost with the CRB I got, especially after the shambles that was my GR Supra Cup at Laguna last weekend, so c'est la vie I suppose :tup:. Not expecting too much at Fuji (a nice track, don't hurt me :lol:), as it looks like a no-stop sprint race, and given the Gr.3 NSX's deficiencies in a straight line, the slipstream will be so crucial.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Razgriz2118, Kermit_2142 and Pigems like this.
  4. MIE1992

MIE1992

Got a clean Q19/P14 at Alsace! Good enough to increase the sum of my best scores accounted for thus far, if only by six points.

5. Granadier

Granadier Premium

Reached a huge personal milestone for myself tonight. I had set out 3 goals that I wanted to achieve within my first year of driving in this game...

1. Win an FIA race
    84F64F86-4094-4459-BE54-067B2CDDA5C6.jpeg

2. Qualify for Star Player registration C79E3908-7ED2-4176-9FA9-2CE64E334448.jpeg

And tonight I finished the last one!

3. Reach A+ DR
    BCF83E8B-C91B-4CE7-96AC-8B9F0A6812B4.jpeg

Wish I had some champagne to celebrate!:cheers:

6. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

I’ve been blessed to be in some pretty cool lobbies the last few races. Always cool to see other GT Planet people in there too. I was happy with my result but for sure could have been up one or two places if I had been a little more aggressive and smarter about the fuel. We worked together well in the opening laps! I was surprised to see you were behind me at the finish and realized you must have two-stopped- I was so busy between that NSX and the Toyota that I couldn’t pay attention to much else. I guess it proved the one-stop was the best strategy for me (I had considered it) but in your case the car might use more fuel and be harder on tires, I guess. See you again! These last few races have been fun, hope it stays that way!

Maybe was just me but it seemed that there was a much bigger gap from the top top guys to the rest of us, for this race. Don't know your ranking but I was assuming I'd get clobbered based on my own FP times, compared to the Top 10 times (and my usual gap) but I had enough pace for a potential podium in a lobby where I was middle of the ranks, in a solid A lobby. You should have given it a go!

Ha! Me too, come to think of it... welcome to the Super-GT 6th place club!

7. alx42

alx42

Got into the final slot for Manufacturers, yet was disconnected before the warm-up! It was a split A/B room. @HaydenFan69 was in there too.

At least I can't lose nor gain if I never start.

[​IMG]

8. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

I knew I should have just stayed off the game tonight but had that itch... I could qualify well and keep a good pace but I couldn't fuel save to save my life losing multiple positions throughout my pit stops. So I had to quit one race, got DC'd on lap 12 in another slot then managed to finish just not well enough. Probably my best race of the night qualifying 5th and I get raced dirty by someone on their alternate account sends us both off the track and never recovered. Decided I wasn't up for the final slot after that. Track had potential with the Mustang though, think I raced 4 slots with Granadier some good racing, well done!

Onto Fuji!

9. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

You have no idea how glad I was to get the disconnect. Was like the guys on Maury when he claims, "You're not the father!" The 2 seed? What? That was going to kill my SR more than any bad analogies I can come up with. I mean I only did like 6 or 7 practice laps. But inconsistent as anyone could be, and was absolutely nowhere near cracking the 2 minute lap with my car.

10. RX8 Racer

RX8 Racer

Oi! Don’t trash talk the track that gifted me a win by making everyone ahead of me run wide at Turn 1 and cursing the 2 guys that did eventually overtake me into making mistakes.

It would be hilarious if history repeats this weekend, though. XD

11. ImMano99

ImMano99

Haven't been able to watch Tidgney last night. Just seen his lap that gave him the pole (unless he lost it afterwards on Alsace qualy) Anyone knows where he ended up? Maybe himself can tell us :)

wedjim, dlshearon and RacingGrandpa like this.
  12. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt

After tonight, this is how I feel about the Gr.4 GT-R...

[​IMG]

OR_2020, wedjim, Razgriz2118 and 12 others like this.
  13. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

I actually did well in the Gr2 nations race there, but that track just drives me nuts. Turn 1 is pure stress and I feel like I'm feeling my way through the dark up the back half of that thing. I also really like Alsace, but I think that is a minority opinion.

KniPer9, wedjim, Razgriz2118 and 2 others like this.
  14. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Oh that’s it! I’m fighting someone tonight!

No, In all seriousness I’ve done pretty well at those tracks. I enjoy Fuji, just when I’m not having to race against other people. But glad it gets more FIA events than PD’s other home track; Autopolis.

15. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Shredded my tyres at Alsace. Probably would've been faster on a two-stop strategy

Pigems, roamingbard13 and Redneckchef like this.
  16. ivann

ivann

well done

you fooled me there for a second
    I thought you won alsace

17. 05XR8

05XR8

Yeah, I figured Willow Springs International Raceway: "Streets is watching" Streets of Willow Springs was going to be Super Taikyu ST2 Class EVO & WRX. I might just run the WRX. Maybe run the EVO in the next slot.

Pigems and Redneckchef like this.
  18. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I have been keeping out of this debate,if you can call it that, but have to say this.
    He is not making TPC look bad. And TPC does not think he is.
    He has had solid arguments, presented them in a respectful way until you started slinging mud.
    There is so much more to a perfect lap than hitting your marks. The faster guys are not faster because they are on a wheel, they are faster because they are faster.
    Sure, it's easier to be consistent with a wheel and easier to conserve tires.
    But to be fast you need to be fast. If you brake at the exact same spot but brake for a meter longer, if you change gears two meters further up that's a lot of time on a whole lap.
    On my friend list I have some of the fastest guys in game. And while most of them are on wheels some are on DS4. Or at least was up till a very short time ago.
    But I think the best would be if you bought a wheel. Then you would know. And we could let this rest.

19. 05XR8

05XR8

Tried the WRX. 1:10.744 on my second lap. 2 seconds off the 3rd place WRX. A few tenths from the 10th place Slophy. Can't call this one.

20. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

Calendar says that tuesdays round is gr1 at Laguna Seca, that looks interesting... Anybody testing? Another one make or other cars than TS050 can be competetive?

21. Trone_Colby

Trone_Colby

Aight so.

I jumped into my first race. I qualified 7th. I was doing the fuel saving route with the 86. I was hanging in there until I overshot a turn and went off, falling to 17th. Later I was picking up the pace and before the long right hander in S2, a car went off track, I went off a bit as well and ended up hitting him. Poor soul got the penalty. I changed my strategy and ended up finishing 14th (RCZ won the race).

I was contemplating on going again. I watched the replay of another 86. He did well holding his own and going all out. I was like “you know what? Fudge it (nice way), I’ll go again and copy his strategy.

So entering the last slot, there were NO FF cars! Sweet!

Qualified 5th, went all out, 6S/2M/5S with gas. Took my eye off the road a little during the last moments of the finish...

CEA597C6-BE8A-4FA6-B661-CCA93073E9AD.jpeg

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 19 others like this.
  22. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Definitely agree with this. I was only able to lap in the 2:02's in a practice race and thought I'd get destroyed in the race proper, and looking at your KudosPrime you're a similar level to me. I watched @Tidgney 's stream, saw his lap times and almost backed out, but glad I didn't.

Whilst Alsace isn't my favourite circuit by a long stretch, I much prefer it to the likes of Fuji and Dragon Trail Gardens. It's no Spa but there's plenty of worse tracks for sure.

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 3 others like this.
  23. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Yeah, I wish I knew what the difference was to the really top tier guys... I think some of it is feel, but for the life of me I wasn't clear where I was losing so much time compared to the leaderboard. I'm consistently within just over 2% of Gr4 times, but here the gap was nearly 2x that. Was hitting 2:01's in my Cayman in practice and my QT in clean air was the same, and that was good enough for 3rd or maybe 2nd in my lobby (only a TT in the 2:00's), if I had held on to my better flying lap. And I was really close to the pace I needed for a podium, even if the Cayman was at a disadvantage (I know that I could have shaved another almost 1 sec off my time in a TT... I love that car and have been successful in it elsewhere.) This was in a room of all A drivers, estimated range 31k-35k since I was #9 at just over 33k.

It's happened a few times, that I felt really 'off' going in, based on my speed compared to the top board, but you really can't judge it until you try, or you learn the specifics about a course/car combo with respect to how the leader times compare. Some really allow them to gap us mere humans, some allow you to really get closer, on a percentage basis.

I really use the K' speed score and comparisons to serve as measures to get better, breaking down my K' score by Gr3 / Gr4 and always using the indicator as a target for the FIA races. As a relative newbie, it has been helpful to give me a mark to hit. Been really useful to me. "What gets measured gets done!"

You're right... our DR profiles and Speed Score values are really close...

Good luck the rest of the season! :gtpflag:

I was helpless against a Toyota that had started 15th in my race, and couldn't hold 5th. I assume he also ran the 2-stop strategy, and was able to attack those last two laps while I was struggling on tires. Seemed like a competitive car for the event. Congrats on your win!

wedjim, Pigems, Redneckchef and 3 others like this.
  24. RX8 Racer

RX8 Racer

The Alfa feels good for this weekend’s Manufacturer race, though I had to slam brake bias all the way to the back to convince it to actually turn. BB+5 feels alright, save for a bit of squirming under heavy braking. And there’s the obvious issue of getting mugged down the main straight. I managed consistently clock mid 1:41 to mid 1:42 during the custom race and it seems to be a straightforward sprint from lights to flag.

Pigems likes this.
  25. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

Yeah like that helicopter hovering over the death chicane - distracting.

Razgriz2118, afc5150 and Pigems like this.
  26. Moon_k

Moon_k

Yesterday, FIA went well The race was fun until the Lag happend randomly at the end denying a side by side finish for the podium. Also, the speed of the TT made me have a good giggle mid race when it came back infront of my car on the 1st pit stop.

27. Granadier

Granadier Premium

Would’ve only happened if the team back at the factory swapped my drivetrain to FWD and shed 400kg.

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 4 others like this.
  28. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

I often thought it was down to me not using a wheel but after reading a lot on here I don't think that's the case, which is a shame as it was a convenient excuse! I tend do aim to be within 1.5-2.5 seconds of the top time depending on the track length, but I couldn't get to that this time around. I thought the SLS AMG would struggle big time but it felt alright. I'd never used it until the last 3 FIA races and must admit I quite like it now. I suppose the good thing about the Manu races is you're stuck with the car that you choose, so if you're massively off the pace of the other cars you just have to make the best of it, and there will be plenty of people in the same position as you.

Just please don't pay too much attention to my patchy SR rating in the earlier days haha! A combination of getting punted, retaliating and not knowing how to race properly caused me to yo-yo a lot. I used to rage quit a fair bit too. I've improved a lot on that recently and generally speaking I have much better 'luck' in races now.

29. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

A few updates ago there was a glitch where it would stack helicopters on top of each other at Bathurst, in the night you would come down the hill and find about 20 red lights in the sky, that was a distraction!

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 5 others like this.
  30. MIE1992

MIE1992

So, which Gr.4 car do you think will be ideal for Streets of Willow this Saturday?

Pigems likes this.