2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Thank you. :) Haven't uploaded a replay yet, but I'd recommend watching @Hasnain282's stream of that lobby and see his approach to qualifying and race pace. Make sure you're not braking too late into corners otherwise you run the risk of missing the apexes.

EDIT: Just uploaded it. Search for it from my Gallery link or through the tags "fia" "manufacturers" and "brandshatch". :tup:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    LVS_1986, Pigems and Hasnain282 like this.
  2. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Seeing by my winging it in Suzuka last night, and taking a solid podium, might give it a go later in maybe the second to last race. Not the biggest fan of the Ferrari GT3, but I think I got a plan after watching some videos you guys posted.

LVS_1986 and Pigems like this.
  3. RJBMonkey

RJBMonkey

Anyone else getting this? Or just me? :censored:

43AE0D94-6087-4E42-BCAC-B666A60E1FDD.jpeg

Edit: Typical. Back up again 5 mins after the slot started! :grumpy:

Pigems likes this.
  4. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

saw it on ookla speed test page: looks widespread: (bummer! I want to race at 5:00!)

upload_2020-6-3_15-11-39.png

Pigems likes this.
  5. meekrab

meekrab

I wonder if it is just that there's not a ton of slipstream in road cars and absent gross errors people get sorted into their natural pace ranks by qualifying and simply spread out throughout the race? I only made one pass last night, and it was because the driver ahead spun under braking for T2. P1 drove away from the field as expected given they were 7/10ths ahead of everybody in qualifying and the rest of the pack behind seemed fairly stable.

I find Brands is a good place to drive 9/10ths and collect positions from spins, indeed.

6. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

On a side note i'm really happy to have switched from Lamborghini to Ferrari. Both cars are better on tyres and fuel and feel easier to drive. Group 4 Ferrari also feels all around faster than the lambo aswell.

7. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

I picked before driving any car, and have found the group 4 Ferrari to be a real gem for the manufacturer’s series.

8. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Yup, really strong all rounder. Seems to be competitive everywhere, sounds awesome aswell.

9. meekrab

meekrab

I would've picked Ferrari except I can't drive MR Gr. 3 cars to save my life :dunce: (aside from the 911, but that barely counts)

10. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

I never drove the 458 Gr. 3 before the latest BoP and physics updates, but it's actually really nice to drive. As someone whose Manufacturer is Porsche and has driven the 911 a lot, the 458 now doesn't feel like a massively dramatic experience, the rear wants to come out more than the 911, but the behavior feels a lot more like the 911 than say, the Huracan or R8.

11. RJBMonkey

RJBMonkey

0169E527-7E2F-47D8-A55E-3C8FCC231B0C.jpeg

Shocking qualifying starting 18th. Mustang just doesn’t want to turn on this track. Was hard work.

First 5 laps were just chaos. Too many cars on a skinny track at high speed. Wasn’t until people started to spread out a bit that you could get to work lapping properly. Think more than half the field had a spin :lol: helped me gain 8 places!

larrybr07n, LVS_1986, alx42 and 6 others like this.
  12. bigbeefytaco

bigbeefytaco

Got to say I don’t know what PD is thinking. Would rather race in the rain at Tokyo than this race. Should be Gr.4. Impossible to control the Audi for 13 laps on hards with tire wear. Did finish 13th when I was rated 18th in the lobby so there’s that. But it was solely due to everyone else wrecking. I was unable to overtake any cars of the track. This thing is slow on the straights and a drifter in the turns.

Will miss the final four slots and be more productive with my time. No way I’m getting a good result.

13. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

Ok so ran today's Manufacturer's Race (D/S category - which means to me at last we all stink at driving BUT should drive like gentlemen).

Started 15th (by plan), ended 16th after roller coastering between 12th - 17th. I knew starting mid-pack was stupid due to L1-T1 but made it through that mess ok but as the wipe outs recovered I was the victim of 2 different punts, an ill-advised nudge and 1 complete wipe out (my fault totally).

My fellow driver's loved me! I could tell because I was lucky to get the side punt at T1 (Paddock Hill Bend) a few laps into the race, a gentlemanly nudge at T2 (Druids Bend) a few laps later (I only mention it because I lost 3 positions), and again a few laps later at T9 (Clark Curve) another ill-advised punt (I guess I have to be ok with this one as it was the same guy who punted me on T1 and I gave him my opinion of his move a few laps later at T7 (Stirlings) where he got to plan in the sand for a while. Coincidentally I wiped myself out at T7 due to not watching my speed through the corner. Finished 16th 1 lap down.

Overall I lost 352 points (bringing me back to the basement again) BUT had a very good time! Thanks to all the racers in the race - it was a fun one.

14. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Oh man. I missed the last slot by 1 minute after spending too long practicing and losing track of time. 6 hours or so practicing all for nothing :confused:

LVS_1986, barak181, Odiesback and 2 others like this.
  15. Hasnain282

Hasnain282

To think I used to hate this track before I got this game

larrybr07n, LVS_1986, watto79 and 6 others like this.
  16. Rangeraus

Rangeraus

He forgot to mention there is no overtaking either

KosmoKazi, Redneckchef and Pigems like this.
  17. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

FIA Manufacturers Series Round 11: Brands Hatch

It's funny, statistically this is one of my better tracks, I've raced more here than any in the game, have a couple of poles, place almost -2 (ahead) of my starting spot, and I think earned my first win ever in the game here. But I never really felt on top of it speed-wise in the 911 (like the Corvette better here, strangely enough).

I loved the idea of a pure sprint, though would have preferred softer tires (PD using the event as a BoP check, I wonder?!?). Felt pretty confident of a decent showing, would depend on qualifying and who else showed up on my grid, more than most, I suppose.

Matched into a purely B-rated lobby, assigned door #6... not the best start, but I've been pretty lucky with high-paying lobbies relative to my own rating in recent races.

Qualified 10th, struggled to get close to my practice lap pace, and never got 'dialed in'. Oh well. Just stay between the curbs and take whatever I get for the race.

And that's what I did: raced within my pace, let one faster Subaru by, raced another guy til he got me by a little dirty argy-bargy in Druids, then slid past him at Stirlings after he went off at Sheene, racing against that Subie (love it when a plan comes together), then tried to pressure the Subaru a bit but he didn't flinch, so coasted in behind him after one more run at it on the last lap. Net of the other guys that took themselves off in front of me, finished 8th.

Summary: door #6 / Q10 / R8 / positive DR, no penalties or SR hits, likely throwaway FIA points, and no gravel to clean out of my borrowed 911 RSR... I have no interest in re-running that one. (I don't think so, anyway...) I just don't think I have the pace to place in the top 6 or better at this track.

[​IMG]

(and I know: I missed the apex here at Sheene... it was easily my worst of the 13 laps at this tricky corner, I was starting to get sloppy at the end)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Just did the 2nd slot in Nations, and was 1 of 3 Corvettes. I qualified 18th, 1 spot behind @Granadier (funny how we always qualify near each other whenever we're in the same race :lol:), and last of the Corvettes. I got a bunch of opportunistic overtakes due to other mistakes and contact between other drivers, and finished 10th in a train that went from 7th to 11th, and still last of the Corvettes...

Got a Clean Race Bonus and 147 points, which won't affect my score, so I might as well go again and see if I can find any hot lap pace...

19. Granadier

Granadier Premium

Summary of my one and only attempt.

61F4540A-1DC3-4AC9-BE06-0B72E39C3B62.jpeg

20. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

That's me with literally any layout of Willow Springs...

21. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Started the final slot in third as first and second qualified within a thousandth of each other. Passed second on lap 1, but I wasn't fast enough to challenge for the lead, and third was back on my tail quickly. So when I made a small mistake on lap 3 I just let third back through and didn't block him (which I was entitled to do) because my only chance to win was if he caught the leader and tangled with him.

...which is what happened 6 laps later at paddock hill, the leader got pushed off and second was penalised and redressed the position. Sometimes it's worth picking your battles.

22. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

One (or a combination) of these three things lead me to retire from my attempt.

1.) The Ferrari 458 GT3 is junk.
    2.) While slow, twisty tracks like Laguna Seca are a fave and I do well there, another slow, twisty track like Brands I’ve always struggled at regardless of game
    3.) Not spending more than 10-15 practice laps cost me.

Was a solid result from jumping to A ranking. That’ll come, just been postponed by a bit.

23. MIE1992

MIE1992

I wanted to race tonight at Brands Hatch, especially after feeling so good about last night at Suzuka, but I’m hearing some respectable thunder and I ain’t gonna risk losing power during an auto-save.

24. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Wow! That was a race! Qualified much better in 8th after making a slight brake bias adjustment towards the front, and finished 4th, which is now a 3-way tie for my best position so far. 196 points also makes it the highest score for me so far.

I made up a couple spots early on due to the usual mistakes by others up front, and spent several laps chasing 5th place, which is where I needed to finish if I were to have the points for this race count. The car in 5th then spun going into Surtees, and after that I had 2 very quick Astons chasing me. 4th place messed up the last few corners of the lap and stacked our group up, which allowed the Aston in 6th to pass me. The Viper in 4th then picked up a 1s penalty for running wide out of Druids, giving me hope of regaining 5th, but he then ran wide in Sheene's, giving me the spot anyway. I was now in a sandwich between 2 Astons, chasing 4th place for several laps while trying to keep 6th behind me. 4th place then picked up a 0.5s penalty for a track limits violation somewhere, and I was just close enough to take advantage and steal 4th before starting the final lap. The 2 Astons then tangled at Surtees after 5th got a really slow exit and caught 6th by surprise. That allowed me to take it easy for the rest of the lap and make sure I didn't run off the road, but that allowed a Lexus to actually get extremely close to me at the line. This all took place way behind the Top 3, who were in their own little fight for the whole race, with the winner finishing 13s ahead of me.

This also means that my 4 best results, both in terms of position and points scored, all happened in races without pit stops (4th at RBR, 5th at Le Mans, 4th at Maggiore, and 4th at Brands). I actually prefer the variety of races that force you to pit, but for some reason my driving style apparently favors the more strategically boring races :lol:.

25. jimihemmy

jimihemmy Premium

21:00 EDT Manufacturer Series: Brands Hatch

Wow...its dangerous when I'm in my favorite car on one of my favorite tracks!

Today I enter the paddock with 8 on the door. I don't know how I feel about 10 minutes to qualify especially on this track. It just seems too long. My first lap puts me P3, .588 behind P1 and I went out first so I did not have the advantage of the slipstream. I was also far enough ahead that no one was in mine either. After 4 laps, I haven't improved my time so I come in for fresh tires hoping to come out behind someone to catch their slipstream.
    That didn't work out well as the car I came out behind was too far ahead.

On my first flying lap, I slow down to let the car behind go ahead and then try to stay in their slipstream. It worked as I qualify P2, .057 behind P1 and his 911.

We take off and P1 is driving hard! They pull almost a second ahead of me but I am confident I will stay close enough that once he cooks his tires from driving so hard that I will pass them.

My strategy worked way ahead of schedule. This is the last turn of lap 1:
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200603214744.jpg

I get past them with ease. They come back on in P2 into the middle of the track and P3 runs right into the back of them. P4 then gets around them and takes over P2 and the 911 becomes P3.

The rest of the race was just concentrating on not going off as I steadily build my lead. I figure P2 kept defending from P3 and slowing them both down. I end up winning by over 6 seconds....A boring but yet exhilarating race! Also gained my highest points of this season which isn't saying much since I know I was in a lower lobby due to the shenanigans from Daily Race B at the Gardens....

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200603214017.jpg Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200603214056.jpg

See you out on the track!

26. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Did you know you were in the weekly Nations Cup broadcast? ;)

27. DaddyDaFoe_

DaddyDaFoe_

I was unsure on whether or not to race on Brands Hatch, given the track's difficulty and my car (Jaguar) not being the best on the track. But oh boy am I glad I jumped on it. Did some practice laps and was around 1 second slower that the top guys, do I was not that confident for the race. Jumped on the first race and got a bang average qualy, started 10th. My goal was to not bin the car and not get any penalties. I managed the first one, and the latter was stopped by a guy spinning in front of me, me braking and hitting him, getting a penalty. But, as I managed to stay on track at all times, I got a very good 6th place. 215 points, which is very very good. I, however, forgot that the points you get are from the last race you do, so I jumped on the next time slot to find a much harder lobby, with faster players. As I looked at the point table, I had to get a 7th place to match my score and not lose points. The problem was that, even doing a 0.5 sec faster lap on qualy, I started 11th. At this point, I had the same mentality as the last race: stay on track, be fast and consistent, not risking too much. And it worked! I managed to keep on track doing some good laps and keeping up with people in front. The top 2 went away and there was a big group fighting. Their fight helped me get closer, and as I kept on doing clean laps, they made mistakes. Managed an awesome 4th place, with 3rd well on sight.

[​IMG]

I must say I'm enjoying the Jaguar. It's not the best, but I don't think it's not even close to being the worst. It understeers a little but has good acceleration and top speed.

28. barak181

barak181

Well, after not being able to qualify in 3 of my last 4 FIA races, I've now lost about 5k DR. I've cleared the system cache, the game's network cache and am about to rebuild the system database but this is freaking ridiculous. Just during qualifying, the screen behind the HUD goes to black. I wish I was a good enough driver to race from the back but I'm not. I need every advantage I can get. I'm still trying to learn the new Mazda. I thought I'd pick it up much quicker than i have but it's slow going. And with work going again, I don't have time to practice anymore. Frustrating.

29. alx42

alx42

I did the final slot for Brands Hatch tonight. I decided to not qualify because I had a feeling turns 1-4 would be a punt fest on the first two laps. Yet to my surprise, I didn't see anyone get knocked out! Almost half of the field spun themselves out. So that moved me up from 19th to 9th by lap 5.

I was in a tug-o-war match with an DBR9. They would out accelerate me down the straights (even when I was in the slipstream), yet I could kinda make it up under braking and some corners. Ultimately, the tire wear was getting to me by lap 10, so I couldn't keep up anymore. If I could get by the Aston, I could have made it a 6-7-8 finish for Subaru... :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. vvise

vvise

Brands can be such a stressful race, my heart was absolutely pounding by the end. The first race someone gave me a shove twice and it really got in my head and broke my focus, ended up driving myself off track for a pretty poor result. Second race qualified 4th but 2nd D/C during the intro. Held 3rd for 11 laps, bottled down to 5th but didn't spin, then some final lap shenanigans got me back into a lucky 3rd spot.

248 Points
    [​IMG]

Oh, there was one incident I felt rather guilty about. After having a moment in the final corner I tucked to the inside to defend my position into turn 1. The car behind though tried to fit down the inside anyways and we made contact. Not sure if this counts as blocking or if my defense is okay. It's definitely right on the line and I don't feel great about it.

Also, a lap 2 dive from a mile back is a perfect way to put me on tilt