2021 Hongqi H9: Finally, a Chinese Luxury Sedan That's Enough to Give BMW a Run for its Money?

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
FAW Hongqi, China’s oldest and most luxurious domestic passenger car maker, has revealed their new H9 luxury sedan poised to go against models like the Mercedes E-Class, the Audi A6 and the BMW 5-Series. It is in between mid-size and full size, longer than all of the aforementioned cars, but smaller than the 7-Series and S-Class. Powered by a 2.0L turbocharged I4 making 252hp, or a 3.0L supercharged V6 making 272hp. It also rides on an air suspension and offers level three autonomous features.

Though it seems like a mashup of nearly every other luxury sedan, I actually quite like it. It does look very much like a Genesis G80 and Cadillac CT5, but the Rolls Royce-esque touches make quite the difference.

upload_2020-4-22_13-53-3.png

upload_2020-4-22_13-53-9.png

upload_2020-4-22_13-53-14.png

upload_2020-4-22_13-53-18.png

Well all of the competition in that segment have long wheelbase as standards, so the Hongqi isn't really any bigger, but it's definitely cheaper than the Germans.

That interior shot shows a 6,000 RPM redline, which makes me wonder about the gearbox options. Ze Germans appear to prefer using an 8-speed automatic with comparably sized engines, so I'm guessing this would be similar? I'm certainly not expecting them to offer a sports setup for something that's meant to be navigating the streets of Beijing.

Those lights on the bottom look straight off a Hyundai Palisade. Even a BMW would last longer than this thing.

It's like someone who saw a Bentley Mulsanne in passing tried to explain to a car designed what it looked like.

It's like someone who saw a Bentley Mulsanne in passing tried to explain to a car designed what it looked like.
I don't really see much resemblance to the Mulsanne. For one, this car has a coupe-like roofline.

Back