2022 Genesis G90 Unveiled- Most Attractive Full-Size Luxury Sedan on the Market?

Which full size luxury sedan would you buy new?

• Audi A8

• BMW 7-Series

• Genesis G90 (the all-new model)

• Lexus LS

• Maserati Quattroporte

• Mercedes-Bezs S-Class

• Porsche Panamera

Results are only viewable after voting.
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
The third generation of the G90, Genesis' flagship full-size sedan, has been revealed, this time in both regular and long wheelbase configurations. The car features Genesis’ "Athletic Elegance" design language and comes complete with a large Crest Grille and sleek Two-Line headlight lamps. The front grille has a "Layered Architecture" finish comprised of two G-Matrix patterns layered on top of one another.

"The G90 will redefine the flagship luxury design experience in a unique way only offered by Genesis,” head of Genesis Global Design SangYup Lee said in a statement. “The G90 is the ultimate expression of Athletic Elegance that carefully balances dynamic driving and an elegant rear seat experience."

At this time, performance specs and interior photos have not been revealed, though it is confirmed that the G90 will live on in the United States and be available starting next year.

1638289022468.png

1638289035033.png

1638289045851.png

1638289064268.png

1638289085933.png

1638289098155.png

Personally, Genesis completely hit it out of the park with the new G90; styling is even better than the last two iterations, which were already very good looking cars to begin with. Never thought I'd see the day where Korean manufacturers, once known for poorly-made econoboxes, can make some of the most stylish luxury vehicles. I will go as far as to say that Genesis' design language, as of late, is absolutely perfect. It is truly unique and distinctive, while at the same time inoffensive and graceful.

The ultimate question is, will it sell? The new G90 will without a doubt me more expensive than the previous generation given it's styling. Despite it's looks are arguably better than the S-Class, A8, and 7-Series, and it is expected to have the same level of tech as those cars, Genesis still does not have the brand prestige as the aforementioned. Though, it is only through cars like this that Genesis will develop such a reputation. The full-size luxury sedan segment as a whole is shrinking, but in a way, the G90 can be seen as a spiritual successor to the Cadillac CT6, Jaguar XJ, and soon to be discontinued Maserati Quattroporte.

Last edited:
Since I can no longer get a new Lincoln Continental (and there likely won't be another one in the future that isn't an electric or hydrid SUV), yes, I would buy this. It truly is a styling masterpiece. It's modern and crisp and most importantly, unique. I'm going to have to disagree with @Tornado about the rear doors. That's what sells it for me. I don't see anything cartoonish about them at all. The small uptick in the bodyline along the rear windows is a sophisticated detail, while adding a bit of intimacy for the rear seat passengers without limiting their view. I just worry that while Genesis is working on making the best looking luxury sedan on the market, everyone else is selling SUVs hand-over-fist while their sedans are gathering dust in the lot.

The rear doesn‘t work for me. Seen in the old CLS.
The rear from the normal G70(C-Klasse like) would be a bit better. Scale might be off, but the rear of this should be more upswept.

I don't mind the rear door. It has more style than the A8 but is perhaps slightly less resolved. Ultimately, I think I like the Lexus LS more than the others but I'd probably rate the G90 as second.

Hyundai/Genesis/Kia make great cars (I really like the first gen G80) but I think they need to do some expanded marketing. The lack of a backstory (I keep harping on this) I think is holding them back which is why they can make brilliant hot hatches/compacts but still get outsold by the likes of the Subaru WRX and Civic Type R. The same is true with the luxury brand against the established competition. Lexus brought the original LS to the world with a very strong marketing campaign and it became a unique selling proposition - the Champaign ad and the ball bearing ad, in particular, were just perfect. It was a precision and quality over and above the Germans.

Genesis has never really attempted to build their USP other than the messaging of "great warranty, better value" which isn't really a great strategy for marketing a premium brand. You can't compete with Gucci by offering a comparable handbag for better value because nobody is buying Gucci for value in the first place. I'd argue that the first gen Hyundai Genesis was a kind of knock-off Mercedes S Class (akin to a counterfeit Gucci bag) - that kind of worked for that original ambition. Genesis have upped their products substantially, but I don't think they've managed to build a USP yet other than "really nice, good looking product" which isn't really enough. They haven't managed to make even a slight dent in the established players sales based on what I see on the road. Genesis needs to come up with some clever marketing campaign.

Wow, fantastic.

I prefer the SWB to the LWB. The SWB has a better drooping boattail design which is key for a high-luxury sedan. It looks like they put so much work into the LWB that it actually has a completely different rear fender treatment with a more pronounced bulge which I'm not a huge fan of. The SWB has better and more classic proportions. The only other car in the class that matches the beauty of this thing is the Lexus LS, and while that might actually be more beautiful and curvy, it doesn't have the vintage boattail shape that I think is more important. I respect the Audi A8 and BMW 7 because they look like what they're supposed to look like, but this G90 is just more classic. The art deco elements Genesis is implementing are - weirdly - classic American luxury and I can't get enough of it. I hope Lincoln re-enters this market because they've also done a great job of mixing art deco lately and for a time the Continental was my favorite design in the class.

Haha, I actually have an irrational liking for the Seville from a fairly detailed Yatming toy car I had of it back in the 90s. Being English, its styling was so unlike anything I was used to in that class of car.

The bold rear flanks of the Genesis are highly distinctive.

VXR
Haha, I actually have an irrational liking for the Seville from a fairly detailed Yatming toy car I had of it back in the 90s. Being English, its styling was so unlike anything I was
They're definitely a guilty pleasure, but I like all of the American bustlebacks of the period. Fox-body Continental sedan, Seville and Imperial if I had to rank them.

If I'm honest, I don't see it at all in the Genesis.

The dramatic drop of the wing line towards the bumper. You don't tend to see it on many cars. It's not the resemblance to the actual bustle-back.

Back