2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
So do the 2020 models. I think a manual costs extra for the new cars. I'll have to check that.

Haven't driven one but I would imagine those old transmissions are not nearly as good as the modern offerings. That's probably why the prices are lower. Personally I wouldn't chase that bargain.

Haven't driven one but I would imagine those old transmissions are not nearly as good as the modern offerings. That's probably why the prices are lower. Personally I wouldn't chase that bargain.
For sure. Only thing I found on the manual are for higher end models. Went to the Porsche site and no manual for a base Carrera.

Seems to be no-cost option for other markets.

Yep. A bargain is anything under $100k(I just have to accept the ridiculous car prices here). 993 Carreras can be found between $60-$100k. New sports cars are $100k & up, over here.

2019-2020 Carrera
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars?q=...._.Badge.Carrera.))_.Year.range(2019..2020).)

993 Carrera
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/911/993-series

I assume new cars in Australia are relatively expensive due to import taxes? It's so hard to compare a used, post-tax car against a new one that has all that tax stacked on top of it.

High mileage manual 993s start at around $50k in the US. Autos can be had for a good chunk less. Would be interesting to see where they price the base 400Z.

For sure. Only thing I found on the manual are for higher end models. Went to the Porsche site and no manual for a base Carrera.

Seems to be no-cost option for other markets.

Porsche is still rolling the manual out on the 992, so it might not have hit Australia yet.

I assume new cars in Australia are relatively expensive due to import taxes? It's so hard to compare a used, post-tax car against a new one that has all that tax stacked on top of it.

High mileage manual 993s start at around $50k in the US. Autos can be had for a good chunk less. Would be interesting to see where they price the base 400Z.

Porsche is still rolling the manual out on the 992, so it might not have hit Australia yet.
The import taxes and the low AUD to USD, been so low for the longest.

A couple articles said the manual 911 wouldn't be coming. Only for higher up models by request. Unless it's a small car or 4x4, automatics are the choice transmission here.

Its hard to compare Aust. to the rest of the world. While we do have a 10% GST and a luxury car tax for cars over $57k the reality is the local importer or distributor arm has the biggest say in things.

Coming back to Nissan we will undoubtedly see the 400z Fairlady whatever at something like $60-$70k.

Most of the times the Japanese give the Australian buyer a break. eg. the Toyota GT86 is about $35k which is one of the cheaper models compared to the worldwide market. I believe its $25k usd?

If you compare to Porsche or most of the Germans then its not comparable. A 911 is a base $100k usd car there. Its closer to $225k aud here.

Teslas are even more ridiculous. HOWEVER there's a key for every lock and a hole for every goal (as they say) and some people will pay whatever it takes to get a car here.

Nissan isnt in a position to be ridiculous although I think the R35 is well into the ridiculous territory given the low volumes.

if Nissan goes ahead with this open square grille intake I see a booming market in fake plasti-chrome nudge bar slash trim bumper that restores the classic 240 front end.

I'm all in, if this were ever to happen...again.:drool:

IMG_20201011_225417.jpg

Don't sleep on this new Z(no pun intended).
Between The Supra, this Z and the next 86/BRZ, the aftermarket and used car market will be ripe with so many choices.

Even a current 86/BRZ/Scion is a good small coupe to start with. A nice used 350Z-370Z. I'd drag an S2000 back into the mix(it's still a fresh looking car for 20 years old). Really glad Nissan stuck with the Z for a while longer.

Really is stunning how contemporary the AP1 and AP2 still look. Honda knocked it out of the park with the S2000.View attachment 964455

Contemporary? Nah. It looks good, for sure, but it looks every bit a late 90s machine. Contemporary means 20" wheels (AP1 had 16s!!), tall & gratuitously sculpted/creased body work, and lots of unnecessary vents. The S2000 is clean and uncluttered. I mean look how incredibly simple the front fascia is versus a new civic Type R.

774359db-honda-civic-type-r-2020-.jpg

The S2000 is like a Jim Jarmusch picture and the Civic is like a Michael Bay monstrosity.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd say the S2000 was even that contemporary (if not aged, exactly, if only because the TT, Boxster and C5 were all even older early 1990s designs) by the time the S2000 got the 2.2. The Z4, RX-8, baby-McMerc SLK and Crossfire were all already on sale by that point and all represented the harder edged, sharper design trends of the era. Even the 350z, which was a similarly smooth and rounded design in general shape (probably do to Nissan fiddling with it since before the S2000 launched) still followed the trends in the detailing.

I think the reason the S2000 still looks fresh is that it does a good job straddling the two eras with a clean design that but not one so clean that it takes on the 90s blob aesthetic and stops looking aggressive whatsoever. The New Edge Mustang is another one I'd say does so, albeit depending highly on the trim level. It was definitely a fleeting moment for Honda to get right, because I think the Japanese Accord and Prelude also do it very well but even by the time the 3rd gen Integra came out Honda weren't getting it right.

Last edited:
Even the 350z, which was a similarly smooth and rounded design in general shape (probably do to Nissan fiddling with it since before the S2000 launched) still followed the trends in the detailing.
Yeah, the S2000 definitely has the vibe more of a mid-90s car than the early 2000s in which it lived most of its life. The other cars you mentioned are all more representative of this millennium rather than the last, in comparison.

Still a good-looking thing though. Its simplicity has definitely helped it age well.

Last edited:
I think the s2000 is over...they've taken off and really, stock s2000s will apprecaite.

I think BMW A90s will not.

The 86 wont because its so cheap and I often entertain thoughts of a turbo or sc 86.

The 400z stands above all these IMO.

The 86 wont
240SXs are appreciating and even clean ones are garbage. Within ten years 350Zs will too. Pay attention. The 86 absolutely will appreciate eventually, just like Miatas are now, because it'll become a classic throwback with very few unmodified, clean examples.

And this pops up in my YouTube notifications

Anyway, it's a good time for those that have those older sports coupes and convertibles. Hold onto them during the debut of the Z. Let's see what happens. ;)

When did Magnus have such a huge pull in the automotive industry? Not knocking the guy (I like him), just surprised it showed it up on his door step.

Last edited:
I think in the unofficial photos of the car, like the ones taken when they had the public Tokyo event a couple weeks ago, makes it take on a lot more of the appearance of one of the Pike cars than it did when they showed it off initially. Softer lines and more natural lighting carries the appearance of the proto a lot better as a throwback car than the original official photos did.

When did Magnus have such a huge pull in the automotive industry? Not knocking the guy (I like him), just surprised it showed it up on his door step.

Does anyone have more street cred than Magnus? Slightly mystical but still heavily present on social media. I can't think of anyone else I would rather promote the Z through than Magnus' instagram.

Does anyone have more street cred than Magnus? Slightly mystical but still heavily present on social media. I can't think of anyone else I would rather promote the Z through than Magnus' instagram.
That may be underselling it. He seems to get quite a bit of press fleet cars, but I never see him sharing anything more about them beyond an Instagram post/story. Am I missing a blog or something from him about all the cars he's been driving?

That may be underselling it. He seems to get quite a bit of press fleet cars, but I never see him sharing anything more about them beyond an Instagram post/story. Am I missing a blog or something from him about all the cars he's been driving?
Some of those cars may be Hannah Elliott's who's a journalist for Bloomberg and his girlfriend (I think?)

Last edited:
Back