2022 Rolls Royce Boat Tail: Most Expensive New Car in History at $28M

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
The new Boat Tail by Rolls Royce, the marque's first new product since it has recently announced it will return to coachbuilding, is inspired by the very opulent "Boat Tail" roadsters of the 1920s and 1930s. Three Boat Tails have been built, each customized in terms of trim and materials to suit the whims of their owners, and RR will not be making any more. The Boat Tail is based on the Phantom, but has completely new body panels and lights, and most notably, the center-hinged decklid opens up like a butterfly’s wings to reveal what Rolls calls a ‘hosting suite’. Inside are two fridges and a special cutlery and crockery set from Christofle, as well as carbon fiber seating stools. Under the hood is the Phantom’s familiar 6.5L turbocharged V12 making 563 hp.

To put into how perspective this car really is, four years ago when Rolls Royce unveiled the Sweptail, it was priced at $12.8M, breaking the record for the most expensive new car at that time. The new Boat Tail will cost $28,000,000, therefore more than double the price tag of the prior "most expensive new car in the world".

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-7.jpg

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-10.jpg

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-8.jpg

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-6.jpg

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-28.jpg

Rolls-Royce-Boat-Tail-48.jpg

They're just pricing these things at whatever they feel like these days. Exclusivity does not equal value by itself. These things are going to drop half their value after the first mile driven. Nobody will ever pay this much for one of these cars again after the initial purchase.

I'm trying to fathom what your net worth has to be before this looks like a good idea. I mean... someone's going to buy it right? This rolls costs more than a luxury Learjet.

A convertible? $28M? It's definitely for billionaires... but still... when/how does this look good?

Last edited:
They're just pricing these things at whatever they feel like these days. Exclusivity does not equal value by itself. These things are going to drop half their value after the first mile driven. Nobody will ever pay this much for one of these cars again after the initial purchase.
Well... Rolls Royce found three buyers for them somehow.

I'm trying to fathom what your net worth has to be before this looks like a good idea. I mean... someone's going to buy it right? This rolls costs more than a luxury Learjet.

A convertible? $28M? It's definitely for billionaires... but still... when/how does this look good?
It costs more than a yacht that can cross the Atlantic and park front row for Monaco. But there's people out there who will just make the cost of this back next month. They don't even "pay" for it, they just swipe a card and a car arrives. They might not even swipe the card, they might have somebody on payroll do that for them.

Anyways, I do really like the design. Everything except the white walls which make it look old and not in a good way.

Last edited:
It costs more than a yacht that can cross the Atlantic and park front row for Monaco.

And you could use the leftovers to buy yourself a modest 3-10+ acre private island with amenities in the Bahamas, depending on the yacht you pick.

The price and craftsmanship of this bar makes me think of an interesting question: What would the unit price be of, say, a Ford F-150 if they only built three of them? I mean, even if the McLaren F1 cost $1 billion to engineer and build, they made 106 of them so the unit price was still only $9.4 million.

Last edited:
Looks to be Phantom Drop-head based. Doesn't look like £19.6m worth of customisation. Even the interior looks the same. Perhaps its to do with the current price of timber with those planks on the trunk lid?

These things are going to drop half their value after the first mile driven.
...which is why they'll likely be trailered directly into climate controlled garages and never seen again until auction day 10 years from now. You don't buy this kind of car to actually use it.

It is a strange-looking car but I like it for some reason.

There will probably be a billionaire who wants a one-off Rolls Royce that will cost more than 28M. A few years ago there was a program on, I believe it was National Geographic, about billionaires and their "boats" in Monaco. These people are just :ouch:. Apparently these billionaires shout at each other that their yacht is bigger than the other ones. Just like little children do (not that these little children have huge yachts :lol:).

I wonder what kind of person I'd be if I had a billion euros. Would I stay the same and only buy the things I really, really like or would I become the same 🤬 asshole like most of the world's richest people?

They're just pricing these things at whatever they feel like these days. .....
Indeed.

There will probably be a billionaire who wants a one-off Rolls Royce that will cost more than 28M.

Just remember, Rolls-Royce wouldn't have built these if someone* hadn't agreed to pay the price for them before development commenced. As they've stated, they weren't built to be sold, they were built because someone* wanted to own them.

* someone, or somepeople...
200617-Beyonce-JAY-Z-getty-900x506.jpg

... apparently.

Hearing from someone more familiar with this market there's likely been an error in communication. The $28M may be referring to the cost of all 3 as he has heard the real price is less than half of the $28M for each car.

Last edited:
Hearing from someone more familiar with this market there's likely been an error in communication. The $28M may be referring to the cost of all 3 as he has heard the real price is less than half of the $28M for each car.

I'd agree with that. My Dad used to work for Rolls-Royce & Bentley Motor Cars and was involved with a number of projects on the Mulliner Park Ward side, so he's fairly familiar with many of the cars that were made for Brunei Royal Family - and the like. I ran it by him at the weekend and he reckoned it didn't make much sense either, the most expensive he could recall from back in the day was the Sultans Gold plated Rolls-Royce, which he said was about £10,000,000 (about £14 million now).

maxresdefault.jpg

...which is why they'll likely be trailered directly into climate controlled garages and never seen again until auction day 10 years from now. You don't buy this kind of car to actually use it.

I'm not sure that's the case with this particular car. This one seems to have no real place... like at all.

WARNING - NSFW Language
https://jalopnik.com/rolls-royce-made-the-most-expensive-new-car-in-the-worl-1846986622

Jalopnik included some details about the car, including the chamapagne chiller that is designed for a specific bottle of champagne and a specific temperature, and this nugget:

Hinged towards the centre line, the synchronised balletic opening movement reveals a treasure chest of moving parts that offer themselves to the host at a precise angle of 15 degrees. This subtle gesture of presentation reflects a genteel and quintessentially British expression of service.

And the custom pen and watch holders to accommodate a select pen and watch from the owner's collection. I agree with the article, whoever designed the customization of this car seems intensely unimaginative. I honestly prefer the gold plating.

Last edited:
I agree with the article, whoever designed the customization of this car seems intensely unimaginative

Didn't have you down as a playahater Danoff? :D Seriously though, it might be unimaginative, but it's hardly off base, surprised it doesn't have a set of cuff-links too.

Having said that, I'm guessing Rolls-Royce suggested these items because they wanted to build, exploit and promote partnerships with adjacent companies.... and the customers just said yes... because rich. A more specific, or unique tid-bit may be this...

As ever, the 15-speaker Bespoke Rolls-Royce Audio System was intended from the motor car’s inception, but the spaceframe architecture was exploited differently. Rolls-Royce’s existing product portfolio use a specially designed sill section of the architecture as the resonance chambers for the sound system’s bass speakers. In Boat Tail, the entire floor structure is utilised, creating an exceptional audio experience for the client.

... in other words, Jay Zed wanted some fatter bass when dropping fresh beats in his whip... or whatever.

Back