• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 9 comments
Australia
Australia
SpacedustDaddy
https://www.motoring.com.au/t7-volkswagen-multivan-revealed-130455/
volkswagen-multivan_07.jpg
volkswagen-multivan_10.jpg

Instead of the second row console, I'd like to see those cup holders and tray tables built into the side of the seat. The center console defeats the purpose of that lane between the 2nd row captains chairs, which gives passengers access to the rear without folding or moving the 2nd row seats. For a parent, this is huge. It means your kids hop in the back without your assistance. If I owned one of these, I'd probably remove the 2nd row console, which deprives those seats of cupholders.

Instead of the second row console, I'd like to see those cup holders and tray tables built into the side of the seat. The center console defeats the purpose of that lane between the 2nd row captains chairs, which gives passengers access to the rear without folding or moving the 2nd row seats. For a parent, this is huge. It means your kids hop in the back without your assistance. If I owned one of these, I'd probably remove the 2nd row console, which deprives those seats of cupholders.
Seems redundant with the front seats having trays with cupholders. No need for that console.

Last edited:
Seems redundant with the front seats having trays with cupholders. No need for that console.

I hadn't noticed that. For super little ones who are in carseats, it still seems like it would be better deployed from the side of the seat rather than on some extension from the front. But either way, the 2nd row console is a big trend that irritates me.

This is a sequoia
Int2.jpg

Aviator
4a34a340217f337bf92dd6883c1956b9.jpg

CX-9
a02040721c9ac3e709114e2860ff6f8fx.jpg

Expedition
33603-2d5368fcd7d815dddeed4311c05bdc8a.jpg

Edit:

In some cases (not all) these may be removable. If they're not, they compromise storage when the seats are folded. If they are, it usually leaves an under-designed situation for the 2nd row seats.

Last edited:
This is a sequoia
Int2.jpg

In some cases (not all) these may be removable. If they're not, they compromise storage when the seats are folded. If they are, it usually leaves an under-designed situation for the 2nd row seats.
Ayyyyy.

I do actually know that this particular console is removeable and there are already cupholders at the rear of the front console so it merely limits the second row to two measly cupholders instead of the four that the other two rows enjoy. The other option was a bench seat. But having a tremendously heavy 60/40 bench seat to fold up was about the best they could come up with in the early 2000s.

This is what a Pacifica looks like when you remove the center console or center seat, whichever was optioned:

2018-pacifica-interior-insideinfo.jpg

Pretty sure all minivans focus on this ease of entry much more than the SUVs do.

Ayyyyy.

I do actually know that this particular console is removeable and there are already cupholders at the rear of the front console so it merely limits the second row to two measly cupholders instead of the four that the other two rows enjoy. The other option was a bench seat. But having a tremendously heavy 60/40 bench seat to fold up was about the best they could come up with in the early 2000s.

This is what a Pacifica looks like when you remove the center console or center seat, whichever was optioned:

2018-pacifica-interior-insideinfo.jpg

Pretty sure all minivans focus on this ease of entry much more than the SUVs do.

For my kids, the cupholders in the door of my sienna are pretty important since they can't reach the ones on the back of the center console while buckled. I'm fine with the center console as long as it can be removed without messing up the ergonomics of that 2nd row. Because 90% of the time I'd use it without a center console back there.

I had that third seat in my '05 Odyssey EX-L. There was storage just below to place it.

I think it would've been good if you could somehow push that 2nd row console forward over the first row one, then laterally slide the 2nd row captains chair (nearest to the door), sideways towards the other 2nd row seat, just to make access to the rear row easier. Then when in, just slide the 2nd row console and chair, back to it's original position.

Back