Round 8 Nov. 4-5Mobility Resort Motegi

Link to Super GT website:

GT300 test day at Fuji Speedway

1681536159877.jpeg

1681536145814.jpeg

Last edited:
GT300 LC500h GT

■The significance of the GT300 challenge in the previous Prius and its demise

In 2011, apr introduced a unique vehicle in the GT300 class, equipped with a TOYOTA's Prius-based machine and a hybrid system. Until then, I had participated in the war with an original machine based on a 4-door vehicle, but by daring to use the Prius, which had the image of a state-of-the-art "eco car", the Prius is not only eco, and TOYOTA's hybrid It is said that the purpose was to train the system at the race.

However, although the GT300 Prius has its appearance, it is completely a racing car. Until 2018, we used a midship layout that apr had been good at for many years, and unlike commercial cars, the engine was behind the driver.
However, in 2019, with the change in regulations, apr produced a new FR layout vehicle using the body of the Prius PHV. In addition to being active until 2022, the technology cultivated in this Prius PHV production is also utilized in the GR Supra GT and GR86 GT, which are also active this season. So why did we decide to build a new hybrid vehicle again?

"The Prius PHV had a tough part in terms of the dimension of the vehicle," says Director Kanaso.

"Because there were four doors and a long wheelbase, I couldn't take the driver's seat behind me. Compared to GR86, the seat is quite forward. Since the base is FF, the position relationship between the driver and the engine was difficult. In the first place, the driver will not be able to get out of the car."

The GT300 regulation vehicle can be greatly modified, but there are also frames of commercial vehicles, safety-conscious seats and roll cages, so it was very difficult to determine the driver's seating position. Another interesting thing is about the body of the Prius PHV.

"Today's eco-cars are naturally not thinking about wearing rear wings. However, the Cd value (air resistance coefficient) of the vehicle is very low. In order to aim for it, lay the front window, and the A-pillar is in the very front position. However, when it was a racing car, the engine had to be in the back of the hood, and the maintenance was very bad. Also, if you put the engine in that position, FF is the base, so the distance between the front tire and the door is too narrow, and the exhaust will not pass."

If it becomes difficult to handle the exhaust, the engine power will also be disadvantageous. In addition, due to the utilization of aerodynamics including exhaust heat and a large cabin that extends to the rear, the air did not hit the rear wing well, and the rear wing had to be angled to other GT300 regulated vehicles. " I was fighting until 2022 in the difficult situation of "drug mass".

Director Kanaso also appealed for the formulation of conditions for participation in vehicles based on 4-door FF, but the situation did not improve easily.

■There are two good courses for the new car LC500h GT

Therefore, the next machine was to be considered, but apr is also responsible for hybrid development in tantal with TOYOTA itself. " After all, let's base it on a car with a hybrid," and of course it was decided that the new Prius, which is currently selling commercial cars, was listed as a candidate.

However, due to changes in the world situation such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the shortage of semiconductors, the launch of the new Prius has shifted. The GT300 vehicle cannot start running before the announcement of the commercially available Prius. Therefore, among the TOYOTA/LEXUS vehicles loaded with hybrids, the LEXUS RC350h and LC500h were the candidates. For the RC350h, the RC F GT3 with a similar shape has already entered the race, and the LC500h was chosen.
When apr measured the commercially available LC500h in the wind tunnel experiment, a very good numerical value came out. In addition, Director Kanaso fell in love with the beautiful body line and started making vehicles. The technology cultivated in the Prius PHV, GR Supra GT, and GR86 GT so far has been poured in, and the hybrid units that have continued since last year have been combined.

"In the extreme, what you are using is the same. I think you can think that the stretch of the GR86 GT is the LC500h GT. The back from the cockpit and bulk head is all the same, and the floor and propeller shaft are the same. It means that the engine mounting position remains the same as the GR86 GT, and the arms are in front."

As these arms came out 270mm before, the weight distribution has been greatly improved. With the further extension of the wheelbase, we succeeded in earning downforce under the floor. " After all, the body is very good," said Director Kanaso.

Director Kanaso says that the LC500h GT made in this way is "I think the medium and high-speed course is strong" due to the weight distribution and the size of the downforce. The target is Suzuka Circuit and Sportsland SUGO.

"GR Supra GT (GT300 vehicle) is a little difficult car, but GR86 is almighty. As for the LC500h GT, it may be "normal" except for Suzuka and SUGO."
■Even if it is a new model, there is a track record of apr behind the trouble.

Also, the reason why there has been no trouble at all in the official test so far is that the parts are common and proven with the Prius PHV, GR Supra GT, and GR86 GT (all apr is involved in development). Therefore, "there is no problem," says Director Kanaso. By the way, it seems to be slightly tilted back than a commercial car, but it is actually tilted back about twice according to the 1,100 mm car height.

"My way of thinking is that it's better not to mess with the "face" too much in the car. Because it's running from the front. The face of the car is full of identity, so I think I have to leave it. That's why I'm leaving my face as much as possible for the car that apr is making," said Director Kanaso.

"If you try to leave your face flat as it is, it will become too thick, so I adjust the height of the top and slightly lower the back."
■LC500h GT takes over the TOYOTA hybrid signboard

At the time of the official test Okayama, it is said that it is not a course that is good at it, but the good weight distribution is immediately utilized and it is performing well.

"The hybrid technology we have cultivated so far has been fed back to commercial cars, and the reason why the new Prius has become sports-oriented is that many customers say "Prius is sporty" because they fought SUPER GT. Because you held me. I'm very happy about that," Director Kanaso said.

The apr LC500h GT will debut inheriting the history and achievements built by the midship Prius and the Prius PHV. Just as the image of the Prius has changed with SUPER GT, it should be a presence that further enhances the sportiness of the commercially available LC500h. There is no doubt that it will be the most attention vehicle of SUPER GT this season.
In addition, regarding the apr LC500h GT, we are also planning to deliver a machine dissection by video in the near future, so please look forward to it.

Back