2023 Cadillac Celestiq Unveiled- Cadillac's >$300k Ultra Luxury Rolls Royce Competitor

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
The production-spec Celestiq, released only in concept-car form earlier in the year, has been officially unveiled.

The production Celestiq features a 111 kWh battery pack that powers a dual-motor all-wheel drive system developing an estimated 600 hp (447 kW / 608 PS) and 640 lb-ft (867 Nm) of torque. This setup enables the car to accelerate from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 3.8 seconds and travel approximately 300 miles (483 km) on a single charge.

Despite its flagship status, the Celestiq only supports DC fast charging up to 200 kW. That pales in comparison to the 350 kW capability offered by the Porsche Taycan and Hyundai Ioniq 5. This is a big disappointment, but Cadillac noted the model should be able to get 78 miles (126 km) of range in as little as 10 minutes.

Cadillac says the Celestiq has been designed to deliver the “ultimate in ride refinement without sacrifices.” As part of this effort, the model has been outfitted with an adaptive air suspension, magnetic ride control, and an active rear steering system that enables the rear wheels to turn up to 3.5 degrees. The rear wheels can turn in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels to improve low speed maneuverability or high speed stability. That’s just the tip of the ultra-luxury iceberg as the Celestiq sports active roll control technology and an electric power steering system that automatically adjusts to the ideal steering ratio depending on the vehicle’s speed. Engineers also equipped the flagship with a five-link front and rear suspension that features isolators which are “precisely tuned to minimize cabin disturbances yet allow proper road feel and handling response, delivering on Cadillac’s promise of isolated precision.”

Cadillac went on to say the model rides on an “all-new architecture dedicated exclusively to Celestiq.” It’s based on the Ultium platform and allows for the “ultimate expression of ultra-luxury and unmatched client customization, enabled by advanced manufacturing techniques.” The company didn’t go into many specifics, but noted the car’s underbody has six large precision sand-cast aluminum components which each help to eliminate 30 to 40 components compared to typical stamped construction. Rounding out the highlights are an active rear spoiler, power opening and closing doors, and available 23-inch forged aluminum wheels that feature Michelin Pilot Sport EV summer-only tires.

Technology is front and center as there’s a 55-inch display that runs the entire width of the dashboard. It features a digital instrument cluster and infotainment system for the driver as well as a separate display for the front passenger. On the topic of screens, there’s an 11-inch Front Command Center on the center console as well as an 8-inch Rear Command Center for rear seat passengers. They’re joined by two 12.6-inch displays that form the rear seat entertainment system.

Other highlights include a four-zone climate control system, hand-wrapped leather, and numerous metal accents that feature “fine milling, anodization and a final polishing by hand.” The interior also boasts 450 LEDs, a 38-speaker AKG audio system, heated and ventilated seats, heated armrests, and a “neck scarf” system. The Celestiq will also have an Ultra Cruise semi-autonomous driving system as well as extensive customization options as each car will be “personally commissioned” with no two being alike. As part of this effort, buyers will “work directly with their selected dealer and Cadillac designers to realize their unique vision for the car, with unprecedented levels of personalization tailored to reflect the owner’s tastes.”

The Celestiq is slated to go into production in December of 2023 and pricing starts “north” of $300,000. The model will be hand-built in extremely low volumes in Warren, Michigan despite the plaque saying it’s made in Detroit.

From Carscoops

1666104351080.png

1666104367310.png

1666104377217.png

1666104388293.png

1666104399326.png

A $300k Cadillac? Has GM lost its goddamn mind? It's not Rolls Royce. Making it a more production line based vehicle and charging in the neighborhood of $150k seems like a better use of resources. But hey, I'm not a GM bean counter.

It doesn't look too bad though. I mean it's busy, and the rear takes styling cues from the Kia Stinger, but it at least looks the part of a futuristic luxury sedan. Unfortunately, I can't see that design language aging well.

Also, Warren is more or less Detroit since they're literally next to one another. The GM Tech Center, where I assume this is being built at, is 4 miles north of 8 Mile Rd, which is the city limits of Detroit. Anyone spending $300k on a car wouldn't want Warren slapped on it anyway. Hell, someone spending $30k on a car probably wouldn't want Warren slapped on it.

It's like they've learned absolutely nothing from the Cimarron and Allanté...

I really have no feelings for modern Cadillac, but with this, I feel they've aped the excess of the Eldorado era without paying a single homage to it, which is quite the skill. The blue interior colouring is also really brave. I genuinely love it and applaud that it's so different.

I was hoping to see something really mind blowing, like an homage to the V16 for that price. I just don't see this being the halo car Cadillac desperately needs it to be.

300 mile range is a failure at this price point.
1666175958688.png

323 miles ... $413,500

I'm not sure what Cadillac is envisioning for the Celestiq, but Spectre owners will go as far as the private terminal at the local airport - where the helicopter or plane is based - to their country pad or city property; 60 miles, tops. Nobody's road-tripping it, and most owners won't even drive it because they employ someone for that.

It will, of course, be charged at both ends.

View attachment 1201815

I'm not sure what Cadillac is envisioning for the Celestiq, but Spectre owners will go as far as the private terminal at the local airport - where the helicopter or plane is based - to their country pad or city property; 60 miles, tops. Nobody's road-tripping it, and most owners won't even drive it because they employ someone for that.

NSFW

View attachment 1201815

Likely true but you bring up another point I've been considering. I think US/Canadian market OEMs are going to drive global range and capacity development for batteries basically because we have to. For example, I currently have the choice between a 6-hour or 3-hour round trip drive to work. Not many people do that but it's more common than you'd think. A Plaid, Lucid, or even Rivian would be able to pull that off and all just happen to be American brands designing cars for our market. I wouldn't expect Rolls to have the same considerations, but I certainly do of Cadillac which is why I'm appalled by the range. I've spent plenty of time at the airports you mention and there have been numerous occasions where the jet was the worse option, so all the golf bags were piled into the Navigator instead. Wealthy people like options and they don't like waiting to execute.

Last edited:
Celestiq to start at $340,000, GM is aiming to produce 400-500 of them per year. Cadillac's chief marketing officer, Melissa Dias, claims that “the bespoke spirit of Celestiq will be determined by the clients level of curation, but the blank canvas will start at approximately $340,000 MSRP.”

They'll probably sell a couple hundred to the truly eccentric collectors and some folks looking to quickly launder some ill-gotten gains from a cryptocurrency rug pull, call it a success and then discontinue it to "preserve its heritage value" or whatever that excuse was that Ford used for scrapping their ill-advised mid 2000s Thunderbird revival.

Last edited:
They'll probably sell a couple hundred to the truly eccentric collectors and some folks looking to quickly launder some ill-gotten gains from a cryptocurrency rug pull, call it a success and then discontinue it to "preserve its heritage value" or whatever that excuse was that Ford used for scrapping their ill-advised mid 2000s Thunderbird revival.
I would not buy a weird Cadillac for that purpose. :lol:

Back