2023 Ford Mondeo Unveiled

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
The fifth generation of the Mondeo midsize sedan has been officially unveiled, and shares many styling cues from the Evos crossover sedan. At 194 inches in length, it is roughly the same size as the previous generation. It will be powered by the 2.0L EcoBoost inline-four making 245hp, and will be mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. As predicted, it will only be offered in China, just like the Evos.

Honest question. What does Ford have to lose by offering the new Mondeo in the Untied States as a Fusion? I don't understand why the brand is so adamant on not offering any passenger cars in the US market. Firstly, the Fusion was always one of the best selling sedans in the US; in its last generation (2013-2019), it sold between 200k and 300k units most years, and even in its last year, 166k units were sold. So this idea that the Fusion was axed because it sold too poorly is bogus. In fact, the last-gen Fusion was the best selling Fusion generation, despite sedan sales plummeting in the mid to late 2010s. Given this, there is nothing to suggest that the new Fusion would sell poorly, especially as it's design is quite decent and shares styling characteristics with other Ford products. Ford could even one-up GM with the new Fusion given that GM has axed all their sedans too. Do midsize sedans in the US really need to sell 200k+ units per year just to break even?

I actually kinda like that, though a shame that it's not coming to the us. I rather have it than the crossovers for sale over here right now.

just to break even?
They don't want to just break even, they want to meet their expected margins. Even if a vehicle is profitable, if it isn't profitable enough then it'll get axed.

Likely the biggest factor was the shift to EVs. They needed to reduce costs and simplify their offerings to invest massively into EV development. A huge sweeping decision like ending sedan production outright is exactly the type of decision a business makes when they realize they're years behind developing next-gen products. It was less "look how clever we are" than "oh f, we gotta do something fast".

Back