2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 541 comments
Already forgot how George binned it in Spa, without any pressure behind the safety car in Imola and at least collided with Bottas? Also he was three years in the Williams. His outing in the Merc at Bahrain was nice but also on a track with 4 corners. He also didn't have any notable teammate. Also he didn't had a regulation change in this 3 years. Still with this logic Mick should still have 1.5 seasons to prove himself. He binned the Haas yes but just look at the Leclerc and Sainz binning the Ferrari multiple times this year.
Indeed. Also, Russell didn't have a teammate at Williams who really challenged him. I think Mick is being given more of a hard time than other rookie drivers. If Haas thought he'd be going to AM though I can see them trying to court Danny Ric if he wants to stay in F1. I can't see many drivers chomping at the bit to go to Haas though and K Mag would be a good shout for Alpine. I think Mick is probably pretty safe and a worse case scenario for him would be Williams I think.

O'Ward still missing the needed points for a superlicense to be able to compete in F1 in 2023. After last weekends drop from 5th to 7th in the championship with 3 races remaining and now 37 points behind P4 even more uncertain he will achieve the needed 4th place in the years end standings of Indycar. Not sure why he is talking about a F1 contract when not finishing his homework beeing eligable to even drive in F1. Will be even more challenging for 2024 when he's not finishing 4th this year since that would mean he needs to achieve P3 in Indycar 2023.

McLaren confirmed that they did discuss the Indy route with Danny but he wants to try and stay in F1
Ya just watched the interview via F1s channel, he said he doesn’t have interest in any other racing category and might even just take a year off if no seat is available

Ya just watched the interview via F1s channel, he said he doesn’t have interest in any other racing category and might even just take a year off if no seat is available
If nothing else, I imagine he'd have no problem getting on as a reserve/test driver for a team if all else fails. That'd at least keep him in the loop and provide simulator or seat time in some capacity, and probably give him slightly higher priority if a seat does open up later. Sitting idle for a year and not even driving in some other series may as well just be considered retirement these days.

He will end like Hülkenberg who never made it back despite have good results as jumper. There is a difference between taking a year off by yourself because nobody wants you or beeing contracted to a team which can't provide you with a seat like Ocon or Giovinazzi in the past.

Second time I've seen this story during the Norris/Ricciardo era, and it's mental.

Reporter asks Norris if he feels sorry for his team-mate. Norris quite rightfully bats away the patronising question by saying it's not his job to feel sorry for any other driver. Article headline is "Norris feels no sympathy for Ricciardo".

What's even the goal with these?

Second time I've seen this story during the Norris/Ricciardo era, and it's mental.

Reporter asks Norris if he feels sorry for his team-mate. Norris quite rightfully bats away the patronising question by saying it's not his job to feel sorry for any other driver. Article headline is "Norris feels no sympathy for Ricciardo".

The same as always:
Animation Click GIF by Zanahoria Sarcástica
200.gif

That's the same one again.

This is the previous one:

Still, surely all Alpine want out of it at this point is compensation $.

They don't seem opposed to Piastri actually driving for them, and Piastri has been quiet lately. When Button was in a similar situation with BAR and Williams he was forced to drive for BAR and it all turned out fine. I think Alpine's main problem is that their only real options now are Ricciardo and Schumacher, they'll probably do anything they can to either get a (potentially) better driver or to at least get compensated for having to sign one of them.

There's also the problem of Alpine having paid for Piastri's junior seats and track days. They want compensation for that too, but they'll definitely never get a penny for that. Not just because that's not how that works legally, but also because Alpine has without a doubt the single worst academy and signing with them has probably been counterproductive to Piastri's career.

Herta won't have a superlicense in 2023 due to missing license points and (at the moment with P10 in the championship) would need to win the Indycar title in 2023 to get enough points for the license in 2024.

Last edited:
Herta won't have a superlicense in 2023 due to missing license points and (at the moment with P10 in the championship) would need to win the Indycar title in 2023 to get enough points for the license in 2024.
Zak Brown seems to disagree on needing to win an indy car title. Maybe all he really needs is more seat time.

“Colton Herta is a more accomplished racing driver than some of the drivers on the Formula One grid. It’s a points system where he hasn’t accumulated enough points yet. He will achieve that this year in testing with us. That is the extent of the game plan at the moment.”

Last edited:
Zak Brown seems to disagree on needing to win an indy car title. Maybe all he really needs is more seat time.

“Colton Herta is a more accomplished racing driver than some of the drivers on the Formula One grid. It’s a points system where he hasn’t accumulated enough points yet. He will achieve that this year in testing with us. That is the extent of the game plan at the moment.”

Of course he will also need 300 Kms in a up to 2 year older F1 car and some other paper stuff but this doesn't replace the 40 needed needed points over the last 3 motorsportseasons for the superlicense. He got 20 for 3rd in 2020, 8 for 5th in 2021 and at the moment at 10th he is on 1 point which makes 29, not 40. He will loose the 20 points from 2020 next year so he will need 31 again at the moment beeing 10th. You get 30 points finishing 2nd in Indycar and 40 winning it.
Same for O'Ward without the needed points for 2023 but with 2 races left (last race double points) he is theoretically still in the position with his needed finish of P4 (at the moment P7) but unlikely. Their only Indycar driver with that box ticked is Palou with his needed 40 license points gained winning last year.

Last edited:
From what I read, you can also get 1 point for doing 100 kilometers during a free practice. But I don't know what their plan is.

From what I read, you can also get 1 point for doing 100 kilometers during a free practice. But I don't know what their plan is.
Oh you're right. That is also possible up to 10 points for 10 FP1 entries. Completing a FIA series with a penalty points system and not receiving any penalties does also grant 2 points which doesn't matter for Indycar pilots since it's not a FIA series.

Then there is still an elephant in the room with the 2020 covid season and possible for the FIA to grant driver with 30 points a superlicense if these circumstances cost him points. That wouldn't help Herta if he stays on 29 and there could be trouble since Indycar had a full season in 2020 like F1.

Last edited:
I don’t blame them for wanting a change, but I’m not sure about Gio either.
Considering it is Ferrari calling the shots (and Gio is the reserve driver), Schumacher now either goes to Alpine or leaves F1 altogether.

Back