2024 Dodge Charger - Stellantis' First All New Muscle Car, and it's an EV

Though unlikely, there seems to be a possibility that there will be an ICE version of the new Charger. Stellantis has confirmed that its straight-six engine fits just fine in the Charger EV's engine bay.

If they make that an option then I expect all the enthusiasts to flock to that model then.

Because Dodge, this makes me truly wonder how rental car companies are going to adapt to the onslaught of EVs. Particularly at large international airports, these companies have massive fleets of rentals but they typically do not have their own fueling stations near where customers interact with the cars. That will likely have to change for EVs as these vast parking lots will need to be loaded with charging stations. Like, hundreds of chargers in some cases.

Then there's the fact that I'm used to hopping in a Camry or Altima and I already know I'm going to get 40 mpg on the freeway and be able to cover over 500 miles in a single stint. I did it for my last job, and I've already done it for my new job. I don't even have time to waste fueling up much less charging an EV, time is money here.

What about people who rent on vacation? Hotels have extremely limited charging access if any chargers at all. I'm about to be in a Towneplace for two weeks which is so new it's not even on Google Maps yet so I'll have to see if Marriott bothered to install chargers from the beginning. People on vacation sleeping at a hotel don't have time in their day to waste charging an EV. Maybe they can do it at dinner I suppose but that really puts a damper on where and when they can go places.

What about insurance rentals? People who crash their car are already in a jam and they need their rental to work as easily as the car they already own. The number of people living in apartments in the US is actually going up, meaning a smaller percentage of people have access to overnight charging despite EVs being forced to become the norm. And if they're living in apartments because it's "cheaper" and easier than buying a house, how will voluntary or mandated charger installs effect that easy entry cost? Now all the sudden that many more people can't even afford an apartment!

Anyway, these are important questions brought to me by the ubiquitous Dodge Charger Rental Car. It's a decent choice honestly, at least until they go electric.

Because Dodge, this makes me truly wonder how rental car companies are going to adapt to the onslaught of EVs. Particularly at large international airports, these companies have massive fleets of rentals but they typically do not have their own fueling stations near where customers interact with the cars. That will likely have to change for EVs as these vast parking lots will need to be loaded with charging stations. Like, hundreds of chargers in some cases.

Then there's the fact that I'm used to hopping in a Camry or Altima and I already know I'm going to get 40 mpg on the freeway and be able to cover over 500 miles in a single stint. I did it for my last job, and I've already done it for my new job. I don't even have time to waste fueling up much less charging an EV, time is money here.

What about people who rent on vacation? Hotels have extremely limited charging access if any chargers at all. I'm about to be in a Towneplace for two weeks which is so new it's not even on Google Maps yet so I'll have to see if Marriott bothered to install chargers from the beginning. People on vacation sleeping at a hotel don't have time in their day to waste charging an EV. Maybe they can do it at dinner I suppose but that really puts a damper on where and when they can go places.

What about insurance rentals? People who crash their car are already in a jam and they need their rental to work as easily as the car they already own. The number of people living in apartments in the US is actually going up, meaning a smaller percentage of people have access to overnight charging despite EVs being forced to become the norm. And if they're living in apartments because it's "cheaper" and easier than buying a house, how will voluntary or mandated charger installs effect that easy entry cost? Now all the sudden that many more people can't even afford an apartment!

Anyway, these are important questions brought to me by the ubiquitous Dodge Charger Rental Car. It's a decent choice honestly, at least until they go electric.
I wouldn't exactly jump the gun that fast, although Dodge does (well, did, before the Journey and Grand Caravan were discontinued) have a hearty presence in the rental market, nothing seems to suggest that the sales of the new Charger EV will be heavily reliant on fleet use, especially considering it will likely be 2-door only and very performance oriented.

At the Stellantis Dealer Business Meeting 2023, they showed off the Charger concept in person

337689549_121333370895052_8848445523476058747_n.jpeg

337695982_159202133696064_9062917793357745608_n.jpeg

Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Banshee Concept

According to reports from sources, the highly anticipated Charger Daytona SRT will be available in a four-door model, and it is expected to hit the market next year. In addition to this, a two-door Challenger model is rumored to be introduced later this summer. Both the Charger and the Challenger are scheduled to go into production at the Windsor Assembly Plant, with the aim of releasing them as 2024 models.

Charger Daytona chassis leaked from the factory

1697584860057.png

1697584869343.png

1697585135861.png

Pictures posted to the Challenger Talk forums as well as on X show a body-in-white of a two-door muscle car that's pretty clearly a production version of the Daytona SRT Concept. Interestingly, it looks as though the car definitely has space for a transmission and a driveshaft. The engine bay is also clearly configured to accommodate a longitudinally mounted powerplant, which has long been speculated to be some flavor of Stellantis' new "Hurricane" inline-six, or even a V8 in top trims.

It looks like it'll retain the rear hatch

Last edited:
Charger Daytona chassis leaked from the factory

View attachment 1296058

View attachment 1296059

View attachment 1296060

It looks like it'll retain the rear hatch
You were late. Be glad I was drunk and forgot to post it first :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to see the Charger/Challenger/Whatever they decide to call it will keep the concept's design because it was a truly great design. Also great to see they're going to keep gas engines or possibly hybrids, presumably as both base models and high-end performance models. I bet the EVs will be reserved for mid-grade models due to price point, as well as some E-Ray-like performance hybrids.

I rented a Polestar 2 for work recently because I knew I'd only remain in the local area and there were chargers at the overnight hotel. Last week, I rented another car for work...and drove 210 miles from Dayton to Detroit. That would've been a serious issue with an EV because I absolutely would not have had time to charge the car and would've racked up quite the bill for my company by returning an empty car. I don't even know how rental car companies calculate EV charging prices but the gas price a recent Avis location charged was $9 per gallon. Yeah, I'll fill it up myself.

Anyway, point is that Dodge Charger V6 models are really common rental cars and they cover almost all your bases for business trips. An EV of any sort is almost completely useless to a person like me who often rents cars and has to meet tight schedules which allow about 10 minutes for fueling but not an hour or more for charging. Car companies which are going full-EV are basically going to alienate the rental industry and car companies which favor gas engines or hybrids will dominate it. It's not a small industry...even Mazda has finally entered it over the past few years due to demand and guaranteed fleet sales.

Last edited:
According to a source that talked to The Drive, the Charger will keep the ICE

Rumors have swirled about this for a while, and now The Drive can report that the next-generation Dodge Charger will offer both a full-electric version and a gas version powered by the company's 3.0-liter "Hurricane" twin-turbo inline-six engine.

This news comes to us by way of a source connected to a supplier with firsthand information of Dodge's production plans. The source agreed to speak about the next-gen Charger program in exchange for anonymity and shared a number of details confirming their identity and position. We'll only be publishing the most significant information about the car.

"They're keeping gasoline engines. The official designation for the vehicle platform is LB and it will have the new GME-T6 Hurricane inline-six in RWD and AWD," the source said. "It will be using the Stellantis Gen 4 transmission that's also rolling out to Mack Assembly, Jefferson North Assembly, and Toledo North."

Our source can only confirm the standard output inline-six being on tap, which puts out 420 horsepower and 468 lb-ft of torque in its current Jeep applications. They noted there's no manufacturing reason the high output version, rated at 510 hp and 500 lb-ft, can't be dropped in too. We certainly expect it will, especially given the Ford Mustang currently tops out with a 500-hp Coyote V8 in the Dark Horse model.

The Charger's Gen 4 transmission is a new version of the venerable eight-speed automatic; sadly, there's no sign of a manual, nor of the rumored "updated" V8. We also can't confirm how closely the final design sticks to the look of the concept, or if the gas and electric versions are visually distinct.

Both the gas and electric Dodge Charger will be built at Windsor Assembly in Canada, where our source says retooling is already well underway, on the same lines as the next Chrysler Pacifica.

Yeah, like it looks different to the concept fascia. To me, didn’t seem very squinty in the earlier pics above.

Anyway, it’s a dope looking car. Would like to see those deep dish Demon wheels on it though. Even the original Charger had a lip on 14” wheels.
1705083640053.jpeg

1705086706478.png

It looks a bit awkward from this angle. The car looks incredibly long and the fact that it's a 2-door doesn't help it at all.

The exterior styling actually looks quite well done. Barely strayed from the concept's design. It’s a perfect combination of design cues from both the outgoing Challenger and Charger, with some modern touches. How low and sleek the car looks, especially the beltline, is refreshing given today's design trends. As far as the lack of a V8 option- for now at least, I really don't think it will impact sales much. After all, the majority of last-gen Chargers had a V6.

Regardless of what one may think of the styling, kudos to Stellantis for keeping the idea of an affordable, muscular 2-door coupe alive even in the mid-2020s. Also, a four-door sedan version will be made of this. I think this car will not only be a money maker for Stellantis, but even more likely to continue to outsell the Mustang.

As far as the lack of a V8 option- for now at least, I really don't think it will impact sales much. After all, the majority of last-gen Chargers had a V6.
As do the majority of Mustangs and Camaros you'll see on the road at any given point, which has always been the case. And nowadays V6'es are averaging 300 horsepower, which is far more than enough for people who can barely handle a rear wheel drive car in the first place, so other than the press trying to be hysterical about "THE END OF AN ERA MUSCLE CARS ARE DEAD OH NOOOOO" it's not going to affect much in the long run.
Regardless of what one may think of the styling, kudos to Stellantis for keeping the idea of an affordable, muscular 2-door coupe alive even in the mid-2020s. Also, a four-door sedan version will be made of this. I think this car will not only be a money maker for Stellantis, but even more likely to continue to outsell the Mustang.
It's also something that's been desperately needed for quite some time, as the outgoing Charger/Challenger/300 platform is about 20 years old and has only received a couple minor updates during its lifespan, so even the newest cars just feel outdated at this point. Dodge is well overdue for a fresh new model and all things considered, this is probably the best time to introduce it.

What an awkward looking car:

I realized while looking at the photos on my computer screen that it looks a lot less awkward than it did on my phone. The phone format is making it look weirdly skinny and tall. Also several of these photos are badly skewed as if they were taken from a moving car.

It's not as hunkered down as the concept for sure but I don't think it's as bad as these photos make it out to be. I agree with everybody that the photos are bad and look wonky as hell.

I like it okay. I think the concept looked better but this version probably leaves more room for special editions and performances upgrades to update the look a bit over the years. The more important thing is will it be fast and I'm sure it will be.

What an awkward looking car:

Why is it 4 different shades of grey from that 3/4 back shot? The bumper doesn't match the body and neither do the trunk and gas cap... :confused:

Why is it 4 different shades of grey from that 3/4 back shot? The bumper doesn't match the body and neither do the trunk and gas cap... :confused:
It’s pre-production. It’s probably cobbled together from different parts finished in various shades of gray while they settle on the colors.

Back