2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 638 comments
The story so far (if I have it all correct):

MERCEDES
Lewis Hamilton (probably staying through 2023, maybe longer)
George Russell

FERRARI
Charles Leclerc
Carlos Sainz

RED BULL
Max Verstappen (does anyone really expect him to leave?)
Sergio Perez

McLAREN
Lando Norris
Daniel Ricciardo Oscar Piastri (confirmed for 2023)

ALPINE
Esteban Ocon
Fernando Alonso Oscar Piastri (lol nope) Pierre Gasly (confirmed for 2023)

ALPHATAURI
Yuki Tsunoda (confirmed, re-signed for 2023)
Pierre Gasly Nyck DeVries (confirmed for 2023)

ALFA ROMEO
Zhou Guanyu (confirmed, re-signed for 2023)
Valterri Bottas

ASTON MARTIN
Sebastian Vettel Fernando Alonso (confirmed for 2023)
Lance Stroll (yeah like he's going anywhere)

HAAS
Kevin Magnussen
Mick Schumacher (cutting ties w/ Ferrari, possibly out after 2022?)

WILLIAMS
Alexander Albon (confirmed, re-signed past 2023)
Nicholas Latifi Replacement Unconfirmed

UNSIGNED
Daniel Ricciardo (may end up a reserve/test driver)
Nicholas Latifi (most likely gone from F1 entirely)
Mahaveer Ragunathan (#RehireLordRags)

Driver academies are officially meaningless. Every team is hiring drivers from outside of their own.
Red Bull, Mercedes and Sauber don't have any F2 drivers good enough to get promoted, Ferrari doesn't have any drivers in F2, McLaren doesn't even have any young drivers, and Alpine is Alpine. Williams might sign Sargeant, but judging by his inconsistency and random crashes this year it's probably best if they don't.

The well of young drivers has dried up after Verstappen/Leclerc/Russell/Norris made their way up. The same thing happened in the years after the Hamilton/Vettel/Rosberg/Kubica generation entered F1, just look at how unsuccessful drivers born in the early 1990s have been. Everyone's just waiting for the next big thing, so Red Bull might as well just sign De Vries for now.

Last edited:
2 spots down, 2 to go.

If Williams are waiting for Sargeant getting a super licence, that puts things on hold until after Abu Dhabi.

Choices running out for Daniel as well. Haas not that bad a car (on this year’s evidence at least) - better than leaving completely or lurking at Mercedes hoping Lewis quits.
As expected, he's confirmed he won't be on the grid.

TD for Mercedes is the strongest rumour right now.

As expected, he's confirmed he won't be on the grid.

TD for Mercedes is the strongest rumour right now.
He'd better hope it's more than a rumor, especially if he's keeping the stance of not wanting to race in another series if he can't stay in F1. Doing nothing as a motorsports driver is being forgotten, unless you've got a tremendous legacy to rest on.

He'd better hope it's more than a rumor, especially if he's keeping the stance of not wanting to race in another series if he can't stay in F1. Doing nothing as a motorsports driver is being forgotten, unless you've got a tremendous legacy to rest on.
Ah, but he does have a tremendous legacy: he's the funny guy who beat Vettel once. People will surely be talking about his achievements for months to come.

Ah, but he does have a tremendous legacy: he's the funny guy who beat Vettel once. People will surely be talking about his achievements for months to come.
And also got McLaren their first win (and 1-2 finish) in nearly a decade.

Say what you will about Danny's performance at McLaren (and there's plenty to say), but I do believe that that's a mighty accolade in its own right.

Interesting hearing Super Mario's impressions. Was surprised it was not second nature to him changing gears and that it was such a conscious process of wanting to look at steering wheel to see the gear number. I think the ECU on them cars doesn't allow downshifts that can cause damage to the engine so he wouldn't even need to keep count, just shift down until in the right revs for the corner.

It’s being reported that Danny Ric would rather take a year off than try to go for the Haas seat. I don’t understand what he’s looking to accomplish at this point in his career.

Guess he thinks he’s too good for Haas
Which is funny because Haas have been better than him this season 🤷‍♂️.

And I don't mean that harshly to Daniel but there's clearly either something fundamental with the Mclaren he can't get on with, or this generation of car. Also Haas clearly aren't desperate for his signature because Steiner was very much putting it in Daniels corner to make contact, if they intended to go for him then they would have done the chasing. So perhaps some of it is him feeling they don't actually want him.

I was expecting Williams to announce Logan Sargeant this weekend but I guess that would be risky as he hasn't technically got his super license yet and could still fail to make the required points based on his F2 finishing position.

I'll miss Danny next year, it's going to feel weird not having him on the grid. I still think he should take whatever seat he can get.

After this year he'll be hardly missed. Racing against Haas and Williams while your team mate is fighting for top 5 spots. It's a shame but eh.

Logan Sargeant will partner Albon for 2023 subject to acquiring the required super license points.

2 more FP1 sessions in Mexico and Abu Dhabi for him, plus finishing in the top 6 of the F2 championship (currently 3rd) will secure his points.

Logan Sargeant will partner Albon for 2023 subject to acquiring the required super license points.

2 more FP1 sessions in Mexico and Abu Dhabi for him, plus finishing in the top 6 of the F2 championship (currently 3rd) will secure his points.

YGWD2Y9.png

With only one round to go and the top 10 in points looking like this, that 6th place finish is gonna have to be earned for sure.

Aston have signed up Stoffel Vandoorne as test/reserve driver (along with Drugovich) - replacing Hulk who very likely is off to take Mick’s seat at Haas.

Mick better hope Sargeant has a nightmare final round in F2 or he’s off the grid. Maybe a switch to Formula E like so many other failed F1 drivers.

Last edited:
That move and De Vries leaving to AlphaTauri leaves Mercedes with no reserves for 2023, further fuelling speculation that Ricciardo will fill that position.

Back