2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 202 comments
Did you bring a boat just in case?
Unfortunately no. Forecast leading up to race day said very minimal chances for rain. So we didn’t properly prepare. Got very wet :lol:

The final 5 laps were the most interesting. Truex loses the lead (and ultimately the race) when Kyle Larson spins out with contact from Bubba Wallace. Larson only loses 2 spots on track, stays on the lead lap and has a good pit stop so that he ends up finishing 3rd, a gain of 1 position from when he spun. Wallace? He has a poor pit stop and tumbles well outside the top 10. Hamlin's restart might have been borderline but NASCAR saw no reason to flag it and that pissed Truex off.

Utterly baffled why they've made any Martinsville race shorter than 500 laps.

Utterly baffled why they've made any Martinsville race shorter than 500 laps.
IMG_0150.jpeg

This is why. Not saying I agree with it. Really should be 500 for both races.

Hamlin took advantage last week of the late caution while this week he came down pit road on a GWC attempt and falls to 11th from 4th. William Byron wins his 3rd race of the year as Hendrick goes 1-2-3 for their 40th anniversary of their first victory at Martinsville.

View attachment 1344450
This is why. Not saying I agree with it. Really should be 500 for both races.
Is there a reason they only ran two (or was it only one) night races before going right back to day racing? I have the same question about Richmond where they went to day racing in the spring for a handful of seasons before back to night.

Is there a reason they only ran two (or was it only one) night races before going right back to day racing? I have the same question about Richmond where they went to day racing in the spring for a handful of seasons before back to night.
I'm gonna guess it came down to whether the change in attendance outweighed the cost of using the track lights. Usually they don't give a straight answer about decisions like this, so i have to presume it was a beancounter decision.

The CW will start its Xfinity coverage early, carrying the last 8 races this season. NBC Sports will still do the production, with their announce crew on the call.

Last edited:
The CW will start its Xfinity coverage early, carrying the last 8 races this season. NBC Sports will still do the production, with their announce crew on the call.
If I recall, isn't The CW owned by Warner Bros? Seems abit conflicting to have an NBC Universal network doing production work for a Warner Bros network.

If I recall, isn't The CW owned by Warner Bros? Seems abit conflicting to have an NBC Universal network doing production work for a Warner Bros network.
The CW was originally a merger of the WB Network and UPN, but Wikipedia says it's current primary owner is Nexstar Media Group, with Paramount and Warner holding a 12% stake each. So not really a conflict since they don't have a controlling interest in the network anymore.

Chase Elliott won under caution when his teammate spun Ross Chastain out of 2nd on the last lap of the 2nd overtime.

Meanwhile, the charter watch continues:
  • Jimmie Johnson is saying the owners are still united in seeking both permanent charters and more money.
  • NASCAR is probably regretting not seizing the #51 charter from Rick Ware Racing charter. The team is 34th in owners' points (which, if it holds, would make the 4th year in a row the charter was in the bottom 3), 6 behind the #15, 14 behind the #31 and 14 ahead of the #21.
  • Meanwhile, Spire/Trackhouse had better hope the clock was reset on the charter they bought from Live Fast (which was in the bottom 3 the last 2 years) - the #71 they slapped it on is last among the full-time teams, 7 points behind the #21.

The Talladega entry list is up, and there are some notes:
  • The two (expected) Open teams are the Live Fast #78 (BJ McLeod driving) and the Beard #62 (Anthony Alfredo driving)
  • Shane Van Gisbergen will be making his (ex-)plate track debut in the Kaulig #16
  • Cody Ware is back in his dad's #15

Last edited:
It was almost an all-Front Row front row in Talladega qualifying - Austin Cindric separated pole-sitter Michael McDowell and Todd Gilliland in the second round of qualifying. In the first round, McDowell and Gilliland were separated by Kyle Busch (starting 4th).

Meanwhile, Kyle Larson wasn't allowed to qualify after officials spotted his team messing with the roof rails as they were pushing the car out to the grid.

I did not see the Busch Nationwide Xfinity race today, but the ARCA race was amazingly unARCA-like with 0 cautions (aside from the mandatory half race break). Also, the winner led every lap.

It's the Talladega Ad 500 with race breaks this Spring. I'm glad I have the international stream because with that many interruptions I'd be done with Nascar before the end of the race.

Edit.

Massive hit for Jones, wew.

Last edited:
McDowell was in trouble once Brad got the run. The 2nd block didn't look like he was hit too hard by the 6, but the car was unstable. Didn't see if Lajoie got out of the car.

Jones went back to the infield care center and was transferred to the hospital after the race with back pain. Hopefully he isn't hurt. That was a really hard hit. The SAFER barrier moved so much, no doubt he would have been injured without it.

This year's All-Star weekend format is out. The All-Star main event will be 200 laps with breaks at the midpoint and at 150 laps, the All-Star heat races (which set the lineup for the main event for those who didn't need to transfer in from the Open) will be 60 laps with a midpoint break, and the Open will be 100 laps with a midpoint break.

The big change for this year's All-Star Weekend is the (re-)introduction of a softer "option" tire, which will use the same compound as the rain tire but not have grooves. The reason I put "option" in quotes is teams will be required to qualify (for both the Open and the All-Star heat races) on the prime tire, and teams that make the All-Star main event will be required to start the main event on the "option" tire. Beyond that, and the presence of rain tires if needed:
  • Teams will have 3 sets of prime and 2 sets of "option" tires to use between practice, qualifying (prime only), the Open, and the All-Star heat races
  • Teams that make the All-Star main event will have, in addition to the fresh set of "option" tires required at the start, a second fresh set of "option" tires and 2 fresh sets of prime tires
  • Beyond the qualifying and start of the All-Star main tire requirements, tire choice is open, provided all 4 tires on the car are of the same type
  • Teams will have to change all 4 tires at the midpoint breaks of the Open, All-Star heats and the All-Star main, though not necessarily at the 150-lap break in the main
  • Qualifying for the Open will be 2 laps, with the fastest lap counting
  • Qualifying for the All-Star heat races will include a 4-tire pit stop and mock fuel delivery after one full flying lap, which will be deemed the Pit Crew Challenge, and a race back to the checkered flag after the pit stop, with total elapsed time for the 3 laps counting
  • Unlike past Winston/All-Star qualifying sessions with a pit stop where pit road speed didn't matter, the pit road speed limit of 30 mph (give or take the 5.000 mph grace NASCAR gives) applies to both entry and exit
  • Said Pit Crew Challenge will be timed from the pit stall before the one being used to the pit stall after, with the fastest penalty-free time winning the Challenge, and times used to set the order of pit stall selection for the main event
  • All laps count all weekend, with the Open and All-Star heat races having only 1 possible attempt at overtime and the All-Star main having unlimited attempts at overtime
  • The first All-Star heat race, which was set by the odd places in qualifying, will set the inside row for the main event except for the pole-sitter (who will also be on the pole for the main), and the second All-Star heat race (even positions in qualifying) will set the outside row (no pole-sitter advantage for the main)
  • The top 2 finishers in the Open, plus the fan-vote winner that wasn't in the top 2, transfer to the All-Star main, taking the last 3 spots respectively
NASCAR is hoping the "option" tire will both have a more-dramatic effect than the half-second per lap advantage the option tire had in the 2017 All-Star race at Charlotte and wear more quickly than that tire did.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back