~~24 Heures Du Mans~~

• Thread starter 88deathguy
  • 15 comments
United States
Naples
Deathguy888
Hello Ladies and Germs, I present to you, the unofficial 24 Hours of Le Mans!

One man (or teen as I should say). One track. 12 cars. One summer, and a whole lot of boredom. What does this equal? The ambition to do what at least 100 other Gtplanet users have done: Drive a Le Mans Prototype for 24 hours.

Assuming you know the lineup, let's take a look at the one executing this heroic task.

The user: Deathguy888

The Car:
3v03g.jpg

The Motivation:
dL03F.jpg
PB2DG.jpg

Now enough of the exageration, here's how this will work (and part of the report):

I will play for half hour-hour long stints and post if anything exciting happened.

I only did a 15 minute stint this time so I could make this thread.

Stint 1: 15 minutes into the race

So far I have done 5 laps, and it has been pretty straightforward. Obviously the race had a hectic start, with everyone stiff-arming for position, but I kept my place really well. Currently, the back tires on the 787B are cooking quite nicely as I continue my 24 hour long journey around the Sarthe. I went off road a few times due to rapid wheelspin. I even messed up coming out of Michelin chicane (Or whatever the second chicane in Mulsanne is called), causing second place (an Audi R8) to get right up on my tail. We were in an intense drafting battle down mulsanne and indianapolis, but I shook him off in Arnage. I will go back after writing this and report what will have happened if anything interesting goes on.

Stint 1:

After many restarts (Because the Audi R8 seems to hate me, spinning me out at the end of mulsanne), I took a long break due to rage factor, did some seasonals, collected some cash, and I am back to the very beginning.

I have played an hour (and 15 minutes, will go into detail on that soon), and have a solid schedule of pitting every 5 laps. The field is reaaaaaally nice (As I got the 1 in a millionth chance of not having the R8 and 1 of the two vipers), and everything is going just fine. After taking a rather long pit stop, a Bentley Speed 8 got a little cocky and didn't pit when I did, passing me. I reeled him in right away and took my break.

Now, among the many restarts starting the 24 hour race (yesterday mind you), I skipped the pits because my tires looked like they could take another lap. Now, if you try to go 6 laps on a Mazda 787B with Racing hards, here's a tip for you: DO NOT TRY TO GO 6 LAPS IN A MAZDA 787B WITHOUT PITTING. So after painfully navigating arnage, I was in 10th place, so I restarted again, having wasted 15 minutes of my life.

I don't get it...

You lost 15 minutes of your life...?

You do know that you're about to do a 24 HOUR race right?
If you hadn't restarted, you could easily have catched up what you lost.

Good luck on your race though. :)

In a 24H you are in 10th place, you do this:
1) Stay calm
2) pit in and fuel up and chan tyres
3) you'll eventually catch up with the leader

Stint 2 (Sorry this took so long): Currently 2 hours into the race, on lap 33

I am now ahead of the Bently by 58 seconds. Every time I pit, it's reduced to 45, but everything's going smoothly.

Except I spun out a couple times.

One of them was on Tetre Rouge, just like how Alan McNish did it :sly:

The second one was on the second Porsche Curve on my pit lap.

None of these affected my lead by any stretch.

I ALMOST spun out again on the First Porsche Curve, but it turned into an awesomely executed drift. Wish I had my camera on...

So far the sun is starting to move under the tree line, and the track has had notable lighting changes with the sun's movement.

About to go back, wish me luck

Quick Question: What time does the track usually turn to dusk? In terms of hours raced...

Stint 3: Currently 3 hours into the race

Now's when the dullness of the race sets in. It's not dark yet, and that's in my opinion the best part of these races. I have resorted to a little "game" where I yell random insults as I lap slower cars.

For example: Every time I lap the poor old viper, I say "And How'd you get in? Through a raffle?"

When I lap the McLaren GTR "You though you were so tough in the 650 PP seasonals"

And for the R10 "Where's Alan McNish when you need him?"

88deathguy
Stint 3: Currently 3 hours into the race

Now's when the dullness of the race sets in. It's not dark yet, and that's in my opinion the best part of these races. I have resorted to a little "game" where I yell random insults as I lap slower cars.

When I lap the McLaren GTR "You though you were so tough in the 650 PP seasonals

Haha good one on the gtr :lol: 👍

Stint 4: 4 hours into the race

Haven't been able to get some good time on Le Mans for a while (Had to be pulled off at 3 hours, 12 minutes to clean the house) but nothing too interesting.

I've mainly been just alone on the track, and chasing down a condensed group that's always at least two corners ahead of me, but once I even remotely get a glimpse of who they are, I have to pit, and I usually do 45 liters in the tank every pit, is it possible to go any less? (It's usually about 1/4 full by the time I pit).

Stint 5: 5 hours into the race

Night is slowly dawning on la Sarthe, changed my fuel load to 32 liters every pit.

Other than that, nothing too interesting

Stint 9: 9 hours into the race.

If your wondering about stints 6, 7, and 8, they were just nothing but mashing buttons for corners and straights while occasionally passing people.

The most painful hour of the race. It started raining at the beginning of hour 8 (coincidentally it was my pit lap), so I changed to racing intermediates. They worked just like Racing hards, maybe even compared to racing softs. At the end of the lap, I noticed I had worn out the intermediates after doing what I had usually did while it was dry, so i pitted again to test out the Racing Rains. My analysis of them: THEY. SUCK. Period. I had burned through my rears by the end of mulsanne doing my usual stuff, and my fronts went just as I entered the pits ater losing a good chunk of my 1 lap lead, so I had switched to Racing Intermediates. I had done my usual stuff as I would in dry weather, but when I crossed the line for my second lap on them, the same nightmare that had occured with the Racing Rains happened again. I pitted again, but this time with a new strategy:

Instead of taking everything flat out as if it was dry, I'd brake a little earlier and easily coax the 787B through a corner by tapping the gas repeatably as I take it. There's also another trick: Never let your tires make that soft skidding noise while going around a corner. How to stop this from happening? Tap the gas through a corner. I had done 4 laps and pitted just to stock on fuel, but currently I have done 4 laps with the strategy, and it's barely made a dent in my tires. I also have gained a 48 second lead over 2nd place.

Just a few questions:

1. The surface water right now is 72%, should I stick with my Racing Intermediate strategy or do Racing Rains work better in this area?

2. Has the strategy I've been using been efective for others? Is there anything that I could use to help me go faster?

3. How long does rain that starts at night typically last?

4. Are there any more useful strategies I could use to aid me in the rain?

Inters 25% - 65%
Wets 66% - 100%

Just roughly, can swing 5% either way depending on track conditions, but use that as a rough guide.

Question 3: weather is random, so how long rain lasts is up to the game, there is no pattern.

i actually think the inters are better at 100% then the rain so mayby stick to inters, but yeah good luck driving!

i actually think the inters are better at 100% then the rain so mayby stick to inters, but yeah good luck driving!

Yeah I forgot that single player the track grip is set to low, slicks are still your fastest option

Latest Posts

Back