24 Hours of Le Man: A young boys journey from Milan to Minsk

• Thread starter mcfizzle
  • 6 comments
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
GTP_mcfizzle
LotsaMcfizzle
I am currently running to 24 Hours Le Mans and decided to do a race report and status updates here rather than continuing to hijack other peoples threads. I will try to update current position, current time, best lap number and time and my general mental condition. I am running it solo and hope to have it done in 4 days, more likely 5 though. It is mentally draining already and I'm only one day and 5 hours 3o minutes into it.

I started Sunday at 11:30 am CST using the Mazda 787B. Here are a couple reports I will paste from yesterday.

Update 1: 2 pm CST Sunday
I am 2 hours 30 mins into my race, using the 787B. The only upgrades I have given it are R2 and R3 tires and also adjusted top speed to 250mph. I'm on lap 42 with a 21 second lead. Taking a break now to workout and then I should be back for more later. I hope to do another 3-4 hours by the end of the night. Top lap is 3'29.639.

So far I'm really enjoying it, the car is enjoyable to drive and the race itself is a challenge. It's been sunny the entire race but the shadows are starting to set in. I have little night driving experience in game so I'm excited for that but nervous. I've been as far back as 10th place and 1'50.00 behind. I've never used these types of cars before so it took about 10 laps to get used to it and to stop spinning the rear tires. Using racing softs right now but may switch to mediums or hards if I build a decent lead.

Update 2: 1 am CST Monday

I am 5 hours and 33 minutes into the race, currently on lap 91 and retired for the evening. My lead sits at 2 minutes and 39 seconds and has been as low as 5 seconds due to running one lap too many on a set of tires and entering spinville( I think that's one of the round-a-bout exits off Muslanne Straight). Top lap time is 3'27.208 on lap 67. It's been completely dark for a while now and that has taken some getting used to. My laps started about 6 seconds slower than normal pace with the darkness and now I have them down to 2-3 seconds below normal pace. Driving past the start finsih line with all the lights on is a sight to behold and something I recommend to any GT and racing fan. I feel like the fireworks have been a slight distraction from my line/ braking points but also kind of cool to see. Well, I hope to get close to 8 hours in throughout the day but that may be tough and exhausting. My right forearm/wrist is also aching a little so that is something I need to keep an eye on. I ran the Nürburgring 4 hours Saturday so it has been a lot of driving this weekend.

Update 3: 12:30 CST Monday

I started later than I hoped to today and because of errands I ran about an hour and will be back in the seat later. I'm getting much more comfortable with the night driving but still make a error here or there. I had a very heavy throttle foot the first lap today resulting in a few spins, lost time, and a 3'56 lap. 106 laps in the books and I ran my top night lap on 102 at 3'29.202' exactly 2 seconds slower than best overall. Lead is still about 2 minutes 40 seconds and has been as low as 2'10 and high as 4 minutes. Mentally and physically I'm hanging in there but we'll see if I put 5 plus in today. Definitely not going to reach the 8 hours I was hoping to get.

Update 4: 10:47 CST Tuesday

After 3 days I am exactly halfway done, 12 hours into the race and a long 12 left to go. I have complete 195 laps and have a 1 lap lead over the Team Oreca Playstion. I didn't drive nearly as much as I hoped to today but the wife was off work and well you know what that can do to seat time.:sly: At this point I'm averaging 4 hours a day but was hoping for 6. It's looking more and more like I'll finish on Saturday.:indiff:

The driving is going pretty good, although I find myself getting distracted and missing braking points every so often but at least I haven't forgotton to brake completely yet. The fire works have stopped but the Ferris wheel is still giving full rides all through the night. Not much else to report as I think this is when things start to really drag on. I'm looking forward to light again and figure I have about 3 hours before sun rise. I will be happy if I can get 2 hours in tomorrow, going to be really busy all day.

Update 5: My last update was Tuesday, oh man I need to do some work. Didn't drive at all Wednesday and limited seat time Tursday and Friday.

I am exactly 18 hours in and 292 laps completed. The sun rising was a very welcomed sight and came sometime Thursday. I was happy to see the track ahead of me again even though I got my night times close to day times.

This is the part of the race I really thought would drag on, hours 14 through 20 and it hasn't happend too bad. It helps that I just bought a G27 to upgrade over my DFP. My best lap with DFP was 3'27.202 on lap 67 with aid of a draft. In the first 30 laps with G27 I had shattered my previous best time 8 different times and lap 269 was 3'23.843! What a difference this wheel and pedal set makes. I hope to get another hour in today but it's looking unlikely right now. Finish is within sight but may happen Monday rather than Sunday. Happy racing!

Update 6: I forgot to update after I finished. I finished the race Sunday night around midnight so it took me a week to run the race.:crazy: It's nice to have to PS3 back for Netflix and to do whatever I want in GT. Since I finished I've actually golded the Grand Tour Lambo event and all the Vettel challenge races. So along with the 24 hours it was a productive 2 weeks.

The last 2 hours of the race were a real struggle. I was mentally and physically exhausted after a lot of driving, and long run, and another workout. I found myself missing just about every brake point and crashing all over the place. I finished up 5 laps on 2nd place, a lot more than I hoped for, but I stuck with R3's for the entire race after the first couple pit stops. I found myself chasing my best lap and enjoyed it to much to switch tires. After the race finished I experienced almost an emptiness. It was kind of like that's it? No champagne? The wife didn't wake up to congratulate me or anything.:ill: Overall, I really enjoyed it and once mid race saves are introduced I will probably run it again. Good luck to anyone attempting the race.

Last edited:
I did this race with exactly the same car and tires. My advice: do not give up. I was in vacation, so I finished solo within 3 days (10h + 10h + 4h). Try to get a bottle of coffee (strong and no sugar) and put it at your side. Every pit stop, drink a little and you'll feel much better. To relief the bad taste, try some Extra Strong Halls.

I did the 1000km of Suzuka A-Spec in a day, which took 6:23, (more like 12 hours due to breaks) which was mentally draining. To do any more I think I'd just collapse from exhaustion. So congratulations to you, keep up the surely awesome race! :)

After 3 days I am exactly halfway done, 12 hours into the race and a long 12 left to go. I have complete 195 laps and have a 1 lap lead over the Team Oreca Playstion. I didn't drive nearly as much as I hoped to today but the wife was off work and well you know what that can do to seat time.:sly: At this point I'm averaging 4 hours a day but was hoping for 6. It's looking more and more like I'll finish on Saturday.:indiff:

The driving is going pretty good, although I find myself getting distracted and missing braking points every so often but at least I haven't forgotton to brake completely yet. The fire works have stopped but the Ferris wheel is still giving full rides all through the night. Not much else to report as I think this is when things start to really drag on. I'm looking forward to light again and figure I have about 3 hours before sun rise. I will be happy if I can get 2 hours in tomorrow, going to be really busy all day.

Update 5: My last update was Tuesday, oh man I need to do some work. Didn't drive at all Wednesday and limited seat time Tursday and Friday.

I am exactly 18 hours in and 292 laps completed. The sun rising was a very welcomed sight and came sometime Thursday. I was happy to see the track ahead of me again even though I got my night times close to day times.

This is the part of the race I really thought would drag on, hours 14 through 20 and it hasn't happend too bad. It helps that I just bought a G27 to upgrade over my DFP. My best lap with DFP was 3'27.202 on lap 67 with aid of a draft. In the first 30 laps with G27 I had shattered my previous best time 8 different times and lap 269 was 3'23.843! What a difference this wheel and pedal set makes. I hope to get another hour in today but it's looking unlikely right now. Finish is within sight but may happen Monday rather than Sunday. Happy racing!

Great race report, I find myself wanting to spur you on for some reason! Good luck, I have done 0 of the endurances in A spec, a friend or two are coming over next saturday to help out. Glad to see your working out on breaks, these endurances are bad for your health otherwise. Keep going!!

Great race report, I find myself wanting to spur you on for some reason! Good luck, I have done 0 of the endurances in A spec, a friend or two are coming over next saturday to help out. Glad to see your working out on breaks, these endurances are bad for your health otherwise. Keep going!!

Thanks:tup: They are a lot of fun to do and can be very rewarding if you choose a competitive car. I feel like endurance races are one of the cooler things you can do in video games. Good luck with your races, I wish I had friends who played GT5 so we could do them together.

Update 6: I forgot to update after I finished. I finished the race Sunday night around midnight so it took me a week to run the race.:crazy: It's nice to have to PS3 back for Netflix and to do whatever I want in GT. Since I finished I've actually golded the Grand Tour Lambo event and all the Vettel challenge races. So along with the 24 hours it was a productive 2 weeks.

The last 2 hours of the race were a real struggle. I was mentally and physically exhausted after a lot of driving, and long run, and another workout. I found myself missing just about every brake point and crashing all over the place. I finished up 5 laps on 2nd place, a lot more than I hoped for, but I stuck with R3's for the entire race after the first couple pit stops. I found myself chasing my best lap and enjoyed it to much to switch tires. After the race finished I experienced almost an emptiness. It was kind of like that's it? No champagne? The wife didn't wake up to congratulate me or anything.:ill: Overall, I really enjoyed it and once mid race saves are introduced I will probably run it again. Good luck to anyone attempting the race.

Last edited:
Back