24 Hours of Le Mans (La Sarthe II)

• Thread starter Seismica
  • 6 comments

Seismica

Premium
United Kingdom
Guisborough
GTP_Seismica
I thought that whilst doing my first A-spec 24 hour race, that I will make a race report. I'm already over 8 hours into it, but I will remember the early stages as best I can. So here goes:

24 Hours of Le Mans (La Sarthe II)

Mercedes AMG CLK GTR, R1/R1 tyres, Stock (no oil change)
200 points race

- Nissan R92CP -
- Nissan R89C -
- Minolta Toyota 88c-v -
- Sauber C9 -
- Jaguar XJR-9 -
- Mercedes AMG CLK GTR -

picture.php

Thanks to AMG for the track map :)

Begun: February 28th, 8pm

Hour 1:

Lap 1: Straight from the off, I see the field pull away from me, but that is natural of a rolling start. I take it slow into Dunlop curve, and let the car glide through the Esses, having not practiced with this car on these tyres prior to the race, I was not sure of how hard to push it. Once onto the Mulsane straights, i unleashed the car and it made mincemeat of the opoosition. The Slipstream from the Jag allowed me to catch up with the rest of the field. The Jag and the R89C are eating my dust. Toward the end of the straight, the remaining 3 Opponents have formed a rolling road block as such and I can't get past, i'm trying to have a clean race. Past the kink and straight into Mulsane corner, the AI cars all collide with eachother, leaving me free to go through into first place.

Lap 2: Lap 2 is uneventful, i'm taking is smooth. My lead is constantly increasing, and by T5 my lead was over 9 seconds, I think the AI cars must have had another accident. This led me in good stead, completing a 3'13.2xx lap. I was leading comfortably and began to relax.

Lap 3: Complacency had set in, off I went straight into the gravel at the Dunlop curve, and then again at Tertre Rouge, losing valuable seconds. I was still around 4 seconds ahead of the opposition, and I braked late once again, this time at Mulsane corner. It took me a few seconds to get back onto the track, and at this point the AI was right back on my Tail. The AI cars then took it in turn to punt me off, owing to the longer braking distances I had to cope with. First the R92CP knocked me off at Indianapolis. Followed by the 88c-v at Arnage. Then the Sauber knocked me into the gravel at the start of the Porsche curves, then the R89C wanted a go, knocking me off at Maison Blanche. This left me in 5th place, with a lot of catching up to do. A part of me felt that all the AI cars should have been given penalties of some sort. I will repay the injustice, by showing the AI how to race properly and fairly.

Lap 4 and 5: I caught up with the R89C and the Sauber on the Mulsane Straight on lap 4. I was far enough ahead to brake comfortably for the Mulsane corner. Still 6 seconds behind the leader at T4. I set a new best lap of 3'12.4xx. Lap 5 I overtook both the R92CP and the 88c-v on the Mulsane, and passed them knowing I wouldn't have to do so again any time soon.

I kept on going, just trying to improve my lines, I really should have practiced beforehand. My rear tyres were shredded by lap 8, possibly from all the stop and start racing, with me making so many mistakes. I switched the front's to R2, and filled the fuel up to 70/80.

Racing on R2s at the front was not a good idea, the car was far too twitchy. I raced 8 laps, making silly mistakes, going off at Dunlop curve almost every lap, and oversteering off at the Porsche curves too. On the 16th lap, and my second pit stop, just under an hour had passed. I switched back to R1/R1 tyres, despite setting my fastest lap of 3'11.8xx with R2s on the front, as it was too difficult to control the car. I was around 40 seconds ahead of the R92CP, which was still in second place ahead of the Sauber and in 4th, the 88c-v. I then took a couple of hours rest, I decided the stints should be no longer than 2 hours.

Hours 2-4:

I remember little of this time period. I was practicing, getting my lines right and settling down to a consistent pace. I was averaging 3'12.5 in hour 2. By hour 4, I was averaging 3'11.5. Pitting every 8 laps. However, concentration got the better of me, I missed the pitlane on my 4th and 5th pitstop, requiring me to turn around (Otherwise i would have run out of fuel). The lineup settled what seemed to be as follows: 1: CLK GTR 2: Sauber C9 3: Nissan R92CP 4: Minolta Toyota 88c-v 5:Jaguar XJR-9 6: Nissan R89C (The Nissan was very far behind, I lapped this long before I got close to the others) I decided at the end of the 4th hour, to set the game on pause and go to bed to get some well needed rest.

Hour 5:

Refreshed and raring to go the next evening, the PS2 had been on for 24 hours already. I started, exiting the pitlane. I kept trying to beat my laptime, I was confident with the lines I was taking now, and was becoming more and more consistent. Over the next hour, I shaved nearly 2 seconds off my best lap, setting a 3'09.369.

Hour 6, 7 and 8:

Again, not much happened that I can recall. Missed the pitlane again once or twice :ouch: My laptimes are still tumbling. I set a 3'08.584. Then i set a 3'08.352. I also lapped the Sauber again in this time.

Hour 9:

As it stands, at 8:48 on the clock, *I think* the positions are as follows (I'm just guessing for 3rd place onwards, I have not been counting):

1: CLK GTR 160 laps (Now on 161st)
2: Sauber C9 +5 laps (Just passing me while i'm in the pitlane, so its now +4 laps)
3: Nissan R92CP +5 laps
4: Toyota Minolta 88c-v +5 laps
5: Jaguar XJR-9 +6 laps
6: Nissan R89C +7 laps (Also passing me in the pits)

I also set a new fast lap of 3'08.176, with a little help from the Sauber and the R89C, in slipstream :) I think i can manage a 3'07.x though, its only a matter of time. And I have 15 hours to go... :sly:

Updates from now will be more detailed, as i'll be writing it as I go along, rather than trying to remember racing from the past couple of days.

Hour 10:

At the start of the hour, I proceed to re-pass the R89C and the Sauber C9 with ease. These 8 laps are consistent and clean until my next pit stop. I overlap the Jaguar XJR-9 whilst it goes for its pitstop, and I overlap the Nissan and the Toyota again (Who are only a few seconds apart from what I can tell. Consistently lapping in the 3'10 area, I keep going. I pit in again and go out on my new set of tyres. Once again, setting consistent quick times in the 3'08-3'10 range, but unable to beat my best lap.

As the 10 hour mark approaches, I overlap the Nissan R89C as it goes for its pit stop, and I also overlap the Sauber C9 once again. The Sauber put up a bit of a fight this time, I passed him on the Mulsane and thought that was the end of it. But I made a mistake at Indianapolis and he caught up, right behind me, battling for his place back. At the entrance to the Porsche curves I nearly lost control, where the Sauber made his move again. He's faster than me through the Porsche curves, and the Chicanes are too tight to get past, so I couldn't catch him again until the Esses, where I took him on the inside, and once I got onto the Mulsance straight I was safe. On lap 183, I made the 10 hour mark. Lapping a 3'10.249 into lap 184. The lineup is as follows:

1: CLK GTR - 183 Laps
2: Sauber C9 - +6 Laps
3: Minolta Toyota - +6 Laps
4: Nissan R92CP - +6 Laps
5: Jaguar XJR-9 - +7 Laps
6: Nissan R89C - +8 Laps

(Again, not 100% on the positions or the laps, but these are the estimates based on where they are and how often i seem to lap them, though the field is so spread out I can't really tell)

Hour 11:

I've decided to do an all nighter, I bought some Energy drink earlier and am prepared to race on and off for the whole night. I want to get this race over and done with quickly (Plus i'm doing nothing today so its the perfect time).

I start this hour by pitting in on the 184th lap. This stint I decide to go for my fast lap. With a spectator watching (My Brother, who is also doing an all nighter). 185th lap, I clock a 3'09.7xx lap, which on new tyres was pretty darn good. The lap after I clocked a 3'09.4xx, i'm really in the zone, at the peak of my concentration. The lap after the R92CP and the Toyota 88c-v are ahead of me, the R92CP gets in my way at the Porsche curves, and i make a mistake trying to avoid it. So I clocked a still respectable 3'10.4xx. Then they both pit in, leaving me with some clean air to re-attempt my target of a 3'07.xxx laptime. I feel this lap is fast, my split times were quicker than anything i'd done previously, My T2 time was 1'00.5xx, T3 split time was 1'19.xxx and my T4 split time was 1'39.1xx. It was really fast, but I span my wheels at the exit to Indianapolis. I kept going, but went wide at the fast left hander after the Porsche curves, and hit the wall :nervous: Nevertheless, I clocked a 3'08.523, which just shows there was a lot of room for improvement.

The lap after I clocked a more impressive 3'08.3xx, despite the lower split times. Then, on the 191st lap I beat my previous best, with a 3'08.096!! :D If it wasn't for me spinning my wheels out of the Ford Chicane, I would have hit 3'07.9xx. It won't be long before I beat it, I've proven i'm capable. Sadly, due to my fast lap attempts, I have once again lost track of the field. Going into the 193rd lap, 10 hours 32 minutes on the clock, currently taking my pit stop and have just put the game on pause because i'm having a little break :)

Having completely lost track of the AI cars positions and lap status, I decided to give up estimating. Instead, I shall concentrate on my own driving, and follow only the Sauber which is in second place (No sign of the wall crashing glitch yet, does it happen in the PAL version?).

Hour 12:

I pit in on the 200th lap, around the 11 hour mark (I didn't check the exact time :/). I keep driving on, and once again come up against the Sauber. He put up a better fight this time, held me off for two whole laps, I eventually passed him at the start of the Mulsane straight on lap 204, and clocked a 3'08.xxx time again :) Lap 206 i came up against The R92CP. HAlfway down the Mulsane straight the steering suddenly became a lot more twitchy, the chassis has given in. I span out at the kink, but managed to recover with only a few seconds lost. I overlap the Nissan on the 207th lap, and whilst approaching the 88c-v, I enter the pitlane on lap 208. The Sauber C9 then rams me into the gravel at Dunlop curve as I exit the pits, Obviously once again, the AI driver couldn't find the brake pedal. Luckily i kept ahead, as his mistake cost him more than it cost me, he span out.

Going into lap 214, I clock a 3'10.318. Current race time is 11:40'32. My laps are consistently low, the chassis has not had an adverse effect on my lap times. The car understeers more through the Porsche curves than it did before, but the car gets through the tigher sections with ease, which it was struggling with before. The only problem is the risk of spinning out or losing control, as long as I keep my concentration that won't happen.

The Half-way point passes just as I cross the start line for the 220th lap. So i'm on course to do 438 laps. Maybe even 440 if I don't make so many stupid mistakes in the second half, like forgetting to pit 3-4 times, with no spare fuel on board. I've lost around 2 minutes from those, and plenty more from silly mistakes like missing the braking points early in the race.

Hour 13:

A relatively uneventful hour. I overlap the entire field once more, and keep setting consistent times. My repeated attempts to beat my best lap are looking like a lost cause, I need slipstream all the way down the Mulsane straight and clean lines everywhere else to beat it. It's possible, but is going to take a great deal of luck.

On lap 236 I make a mistake at the Esses, I turn in too late and try to push my luck by not lifting off, hitting the edge of the grass with my rear left wheel and spinning out far onto the gravel, losing a lot of time, and setting a disappointing 3'20 lap. I hit the 13 hour mark on the 238th lap, crossing the line with a 3'11.3 going into lap 239.

Hour 14:

Again, nothing much happens in this hour. I lap the Jag and the Sauber once more each, but don't catch the rest of the field. This leaves the Sauber +9 laps off the pace.

I'm being more conservative. Whilst I don't manage to lap under 3'10 during this hour, the fact I made very few mistakes due to me taking it easy resulted in me gaining more time than I would have lost had I made mistakes.

On lap 256, down the Mulsane Straight I hit the 14 hour mark, then complete the lap and go into my pitstop and pause the game to have another break.

Hour 15:

Nothing to report, mediocre laptimes generally, not many battles between AI cars, few mistakes.

I got so bored I counted the cones, there are 31 cones on this circuit (All of which are still standing, which i'm quite proud of :)). There are also 20 speed trap/cameras. :lol:

Lap 175, 15 hours have passed, only 9 hours to go :)

Hour 16:

Ever shouted obscenities loudly at the screen? Thats exactly what I did at the end of the 179th lap. My T6 time indicates I was around 1.5 seconds faster than any of my laps so far, in other words, it was my first and only lap of the race that was perfect. I nail the Porsche curves and the section afterwards. But what should happen, the Toyota 88c-v cuts me off at the Ford Chicane 🤬 :mad:, I go wide onto the gravel, spinning my wheels, must have lost around 2 seconds. I clocked a 3'08.176 :banghead: Less than a tenth of a second from my previous best of 3'08.096.

Until... lap 287, I finally set a new best lap of 3'07.962 :D I'm still angry at the 88c-v, I could have possibly hit a 8'06.xxx on my previous stint :indiff:. It seems out of my reach now though. 8 Hours and 18 minutes to go, lets see if I can beat my time again :)

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes, I have shouted obscenities at my screen...MANY times. I've also unfortunatly lost several controllers doing this...not cool. I'm getting better with that bit though. But fairplay for you for doing this race, you're doing a great job by the looks of it, I have massive respect for anybody who can pull these races off driving all 24 hours! Good luck with it :)

I take it the race is getting very boring, Seismica.

If you think it's boring, try running out of fuel and do a whole lap at 50MPH, that's boring. Happened to me on my last adventure at Le Sarthe II, the time doesn't fly. :(

If you think it's boring, try running out of fuel and do a whole lap at 50MPH, that's boring. Happened to me on my last adventure at Le Sarthe II, the time doesn't fly. :(

Yeah that has happened quite a few times to me. I'm thinking of doing this race with the R390 race car.

Oh er... I completely forgot about this :dunce: :lol:

I did finish it in first place, and it's been so long I can not remember what happened in the final stages of the race, the finishing order, the number of times lapped (I didn't keep track of this and it doesn't tell you at the end, it times out if they don't finish the lap)

I did run out of fuel at one stage if I remember rightly. I was running my usual strategy and I ran out of fuel just past the pit straight. I must've not filled it up enough, It ran out a lap early, and it's odd I usually have a bit left in the tank as a reserve. Maybe I had a fuel leak? :P. Instead of running a whole lap, I turned around and re-entered the pitlane, took over a minute. In real life it would have been race over.

I'm considering doing another one. Le Sarthe I, in the very same car. If I do decide to do that i'll make sure to write a more detailed and full report (Keeping a note of what car is in what place and how far behind), rather than the occasional fast laptime 👍

EDIT:

I did write a bit into notepad. For hour 19:

I re-take the Sauber after my pit in, putting me 12 laps ahead again. I also passed the rest of the field, who were all quite close together. Then all went well, until lap 336 that is.

I was due to pit in on lap 336. Having re-fuelled and re-fitted my tyres every 8 laps since the beginning of the race, I was fairly confident. But when I was going into the esses, I lost power, I ran out of fuel :banghead:

This should have been race-over. But no, I turned tail and headed back, to 'simulate' my car being recovered to the pitlane. Keeping well away from the raceline in the process, as the entire field unlapped me. The embarressment and the humiliation :guilty:

Oddly, I didn't write anything for hours 17-18, nor 20-24. I don't even know my race finish time :indiff:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back