24 HOURZ

  • Thread starter Thread starter vipahcheese
  • 28 comments
  • 2,356 views

vipahcheese

(Banned)
Messages
62
United States
United States
Messages
vipahcheese3178
I've now been up for 24 hours playing a race against the AI on GT6, I haven't got off the thing the entire time! I'm completely sick of NASCAR noises, and I'm not exactly sure how I started a 24 hour race at Laguna Seca in the first place.

Anyone else ever done this? A bunch of people are asking where I am, apparently I got that sucked into the game somehow? 0.o
 
Are you asking if anyone's been up for 24 hours or 24 hours playing GT? I've done both, but had no choice with the latter when PD wasn't thinking to put in a Save option during pit stops during their endurance races.
 
I recreated the 24hours of Nurburg Ring in arcade mode on GT many, many years ago. Nearly killed me. Did get monotonous at times. Loved it. Never had time to repeat it on '5 and don't own '6.
 
hi, i actually try to find guys (three per team, multiple teams possible) to do both upcoming races (Le Mans and Nuerburgring 24h) in parallel to the "real thing" ... in gt5, offline, but "synchronized" via Internet. If you are interested, feel free to visit <http://realrace.dyndns.org/25/25.html> (there is a "manual link", too). cheers, r.
 
I did this very thing in GT5 with the 24 hour race at Nurburgring. I started the in-game race so it coincided with the exact time in real life. Pretty awesome experience watching the sun come up at the same time in the game and in real life. I did it in the summer so I had my windows open (lived in the country btw) and it was pretty neat hearing the crickets and such during the night while racing. That was my most enjoyable and epic experiences to date with the series. Good times and great memories.
 
Last edited:
Are you asking if anyone's been up for 24 hours or 24 hours playing GT? I've done both, but had no choice with the latter when PD wasn't thinking to put in a Save option during pit stops during their endurance races.
ummm... ever hear of pause ? You did have a choice.

When I ran the 24hr race on the Ring in GT4 I took about 4-5 days to complete it. I would basically run a few laps and when I pulled into the pits I would pause the game. I would take a break and come back to it a little later. Sometimes I might do 2 stints in one setting. I was trying for the 200 A-Spec points so letting Bob take over for a few laps was not an option. Still I had no problems, only issue was that I could nto run any other races until I completed that one.

I did plug the PS2 into my UPS to try and safe guard against a brief power outage, just in case.
 
ummm... ever hear of pause ? You did have a choice.

When I ran the 24hr race on the Ring in GT4 I took about 4-5 days to complete it. I would basically run a few laps and when I pulled into the pits I would pause the game. I would take a break and come back to it a little later. Sometimes I might do 2 stints in one setting. I was trying for the 200 A-Spec points so letting Bob take over for a few laps was not an option. Still I had no problems, only issue was that I could nto run any other races until I completed that one.

I did plug the PS2 into my UPS to try and safe guard against a brief power outage, just in case.
The fact it took you a week to complete 1 race in GT only strengthens my point that PD didn't put any thought into it. Thanks.
 
I haven't done 24 hrs in one sitting but I did do the 24 Hours of Le Mans in GT5 over 10 or so days before in race saves were implemented. The entire thing was one of my favorite experiences in video games. It was also nerve wracking hoping my wife or I wouldn't accidentally turn off the PS3. I really hope they being back true endurance races in GT6 or 7.
 
The fact it took you a week to complete 1 race in GT only strengthens my point that PD didn't put any thought into it. Thanks.
It took me almost a week [4-5 days is not a week] but that was by choice on my part.
I also did both of the Lemans 24 hours races which I completed in 2-3 days each. Again my choice I don't want to spend several hours at a stretch doing this.

A save would not do anything other than protect you if the power were to go out and allow you to shut down the console after saving. It would still take just as long to run the race, actually longer as you would have to wait for it to save then exit, shut down restart, load, race. vs race pause-unpause race.

Of course a save feature could add an ability to cheat. If you save on every pit stop and you crash on a lap just load the save and resume from the last pit. So the only real legit advantage I see with a save on these races is that it would allow you to not loose your full progress if the power went out or the PS died and it would allow you to power off the system when you are done racing for the day.

You say it strengthens your point but are there any long races in GT6? Maybe they did put some thought into it after all?;)
 
It took me almost a week [4-5 days is not a week] but that was by choice on my part.
I also did both of the Lemans 24 hours races which I completed in 2-3 days each. Again my choice I don't want to spend several hours at a stretch doing this.
No, but you decide let a game console run for several days instead.
A save would not do anything other than protect you if the power were to go out and allow you to shut down the console after saving. It would still take just as long to run the race, actually longer as you would have to wait for it to save then exit, shut down restart, load, race. vs race pause-unpause race.
And this isn't better how?
Of course a save feature could add an ability to cheat. If you save on every pit stop and you crash on a lap just load the save and resume from the last pit. So the only real legit advantage I see with a save on these races is that it would allow you to not loose your full progress if the power went out or the PS died and it would allow you to power off the system when you are done racing for the day.
If you have to reset to a previous save on a 24 hour race, that's a personal problem, esp. when they were easy to outrun the AI.
You say it strengthens your point but are there any long races in GT6? Maybe they did put some thought into it after all?;)
I don't know. After the disappointment that was GT5 that forced you to grind A-Spec levels just to have a go at an endurance race, I lost any interest in the franchise. And judging by the comments in the GT6 section, the game itself got even worse. So, uh, no, sounds like they still haven't put any thought into making the game better.
 
No, but you decide let a game console run for several days instead.
Yep, I also let it run for several days at a time when I was not driving the race myself. Bob ran several long races in GT4, I had him running the 24 hour race until I won every color FGT available and quite a lot of credits. IMO it is better to have the unit on constantly than to turn it on and off a lot. I would say I probably had it running 24/7 for at least a couple of months. My PS2 still works like new so clearly it didn't hurt it any.

I have a PC that I have had running now 24/7 for 10 years, still going strong :)


If you have to reset to a previous save on a 24 hour race, that's a personal problem, esp. when they were easy to outrun the AI.
I did not say I had to reset, but getting 200 A-Spec points was not quite as easy as just winning though still I did not find it that hard on the 24 hour races just time consuming. The point was that having the save would introduce a way to cheat the AI and that very well may have been part of their thought process in not having it there initially.

I don't know. After the disappointment that was GT5 that forced you to grind A-Spec levels just to have a go at an endurance race, I lost any interest in the franchise. And judging by the comments in the GT6 section, the game itself got even worse. So, uh, no, sounds like they still haven't put any thought into making the game better.
GT6 is better than GT5, just the removal of that lame XP system makes GT6 much better in career mode.
 
What's the best thing you can do to do a driver swap during a 24h race ? I really would like to organize something like this, but a driver swap isn't possible yet. Or I've to invite 2 or more people in my tiny little house.. :scared:
 
What's the best thing you can do to do a driver swap
... see #8 and/or #4 ... the challenge is to *find* drivers ;) r.
 
What's the best thing you can do to do a driver swap during a 24h race ? I really would like to organize something like this, but a driver swap isn't possible yet. Or I've to invite 2 or more people in my tiny little house.. :scared:
That is the fun of it. You invite 2 or 3 drivers (buddys) to your house and switch drivers while the car is in the pits. (I did that in the 24h races in GT5)
 
I did it once over three days but like Roadhog, also on GT4. I've worked through the night often enough to no longer want to do it for fun!

I can see that it would be fun seeing the sun come up outside the window at the same time as in the game but I'm not sure how GTP_CargoRatt managed that with the time difference. Even from where I am there's a few minutes difference.

The sun coming up has certainly given me a lift in real life when driving through the night, hmmm bacon sandwich and a cup of tea at 5am.........
 
Last edited:
No, I can't say I've ever played long enough that I was unable to spell the word "HOURS".
 
No because:

a) I'm not made of money so pausing the game and leave the PS3 running is not possible.

b) My friends don't play videogames.

c) It's just silly, I simply can't sit in front of the screen for longer than 2 hours and that's playing multiple games or game modes. Same game, same car and track for 2 hours? No thanks.

d) Dragging the damn race for days or weeks until you finish and not being able to do anything else with the game in the meantime when the game is not even that good to begin with would be torture.

Endurance races in videogames should be around 2-4 hours max.
 
a) I'm not made of money so pausing the game and leave the PS3 running is not possible.
It doesn't cost very much to leave it running dude. I would imagine that power costs less there than it does here and even here it comes out to about 7 cents for 5 hours so 3 days would cost about the same as a cup of coffee ;) or 1/2 a cup at Starbucks

I thought the 24 hour races were cool the first time in GT4 after having done them that one time that was enough. I am glad they are not in GT6.
 
I did Le Mans in GT4. I drove 1 stint (about an hour and a half) to the Bob's 2. I didn't fast forward or pause, and could only sleep while the Bob's were driving and had to make sure I woke up for my stint even if it was at 3am.
 
I actually did 24h races 6 times in GT4. Two straight up, two with b-spec as a co-driver, and two b-spec only.
 
I thought the 24 hour races were cool the first time in GT4 after having done them that one time that was enough. I am glad they are not in GT6.

Why would you be glad they're not there? It's not like you have to drive them if they're not your kinda thing. But for anyone who likes long races, the only remotely decent offline events to be found anywhere in the game only come when you've unlocked the Special races and are only 10 laps or 24mins long.

The absence of endurance events is one of the biggest reasons GT6 is the worst game in the entire franchise.
 
Why would you be glad they're not there? It's not like you have to drive them if they're not your kinda thing. But for anyone who likes long races, the only remotely decent offline events to be found anywhere in the game only come when you've unlocked the Special races and are only 10 laps or 24mins long.

The absence of endurance events is one of the biggest reasons GT6 is the worst game in the entire franchise.
I'm glad they are not there because they were boring. 24 hours is to long to drive the same race on a video game.
They are not really endurance races at all. There is no mechanical failures, no damage and you can pause it anytime you want. Add to that the fact that after the first 30 minutes you have managed to take the lead and then spend 23 1/2 hours running away from and lapping the AI.

If would be fine if they had some longer races than they do in GT6 but 1 - 2 hours is plenty long enough more than that it over the top. Of the endurance races they had in the past the worst were the Tsukuba races. 4 hours on that track would put me to sleep and 9 was way over the top.

Better that they are not there. I enjoyed running the 24 hr races once each on GT4, after that I would not want to run another one. If they were in GT6 and we had B-Spec bob then most of us would either just let Bob drive them or we would drive a few laps and let Bob take over. Very few would bother to drive the full race.
 
I'm glad they are not there because they were boring. 24 hours is to long to drive the same race on a video game.
They are not really endurance races at all. There is no mechanical failures, no damage and you can pause it anytime you want. Add to that the fact that after the first 30 minutes you have managed to take the lead and then spend 23 1/2 hours running away from and lapping the AI.
I am pretty sure the ones that enjoy racing 24 hour races offline races don't chose cars in which they will overtake every car in the field immediately. Kind of missing the point of racing in 24 hours if you just drive something that will pass everyone in a lap(all though admittedly that's how we are taught to do throw the A-spec career).

Even Tsukuba is interesting if you have a goal in front of you that will take some fighting to accomplish. Small tracks can be really intense when racing them tightly for a very long time.

edit: still don't understand why you're glad it is removed, just because you didn't used it. There is obviously people who liked the races, wouldn't it be better to have them in there and those that don't like it just skip them?
 
I am pretty sure the ones that enjoy racing 24 hour races offline races don't chose cars in which they will overtake every car in the field immediately. Kind of missing the point of racing in 24 hours if you just drive something that will pass everyone in a lap(all though admittedly that's how we are taught to do throw the A-spec career).
If you drive a car that is fast enough to gain on the leader at all then you will be in front long before the race is done and afterwards it just gets boring. If you drive one that can't gain on the leader then you aren't going to win and that is even more boring. Even the 4hr Nurburgring race got boring. ON GT4 I ran CH tires on a slightly modified Amuse R1 and still found it very easy. In GT5 the line up was different, I ran an Astra and ended up pulling over twice to have a cup of coffee and a smoke while I let the AI catch up. Still boring.

Even Tsukuba is interesting if you have a goal in front of you that will take some fighting to accomplish. Small tracks can be really intense when racing them tightly for a very long time.
Tsukuba is the worst of all, in GT5 I used the weakest stock MX5 I could find, put hard tires on it and then pitted on the first lap to give them a lead, that made it a little interesting for the first 30 minutes but then I took the lead and started lapping the AI, how many laps in the lead can one take on such a short boring little track? I never bothered driving the 9 hr version.

edit: still don't understand why you're glad it is removed, just because you didn't used it. There is obviously people who liked the races, wouldn't it be better to have them in there and those that don't like it just skip them?
I'm glad they are not there because I won't feel a need to drive them if they are not there, simple as that. I drove every race in GT4 except the 9hr one which I let Bob drive once I took the lead. On GT5 I drove all but the last 3 and on GT6 I have driven them all.

Endurance races would be ok to have in the game if and only if B-Spec can share the driving or do them outright, else we are better off without them. In my case and several of my friends we thought the 24hr races were a novelty in GT4 and actually found a way to enjoy them once [run for 200 A-Spec points and compete with each other as to how many times we could lap the AI before the race was over At the end of Lemans I was up 35 laps using a worn out 787B with dirty oil and no upgrades] but none of us had an urge to do them again.

Edit: Correction I was using a worn out Audi R8 with dirty oil when I was up 35 laps, I used the worn out 787B in the other Lemans 24hr race and was only about 16 laps up at the end, largely due to boredom setting in an a couple or 5 nasty crashes ;)
 
Last edited:
So you're basically saying that they should be excluded because otherwise you'll have a compulsion to finish them and to finish them would be boring? Maybe you should get over that 100% completion compulsion you have and you'd be fine with including things you don't particularly enjoy but others enjoy a lot. ;)
 
So you're basically saying that they should be excluded because otherwise you'll have a compulsion to finish them and to finish them would be boring? Maybe you should get over that 100% completion compulsion you have and you'd be fine with including things you don't particularly enjoy but others enjoy a lot. ;)
He said he would be fine with them if B-Spec can be there to complete them, too, and I'm in complete agreement. I'd love to share the race with Bob, but I don't want to "have" to do a 24h race all on my own, which is incredibly unrealistic to begin with.
 
I'm glad they are not there because they were boring. 24 hours is to long to drive the same race on a video game.
They are not really endurance races at all. There is no mechanical failures, no damage and you can pause it anytime you want. Add to that the fact that after the first 30 minutes you have managed to take the lead and then spend 23 1/2 hours running away from and lapping the AI.

If would be fine if they had some longer races than they do in GT6 but 1 - 2 hours is plenty long enough more than that it over the top. Of the endurance races they had in the past the worst were the Tsukuba races. 4 hours on that track would put me to sleep and 9 was way over the top.

Better that they are not there. I enjoyed running the 24 hr races once each on GT4, after that I would not want to run another one. If they were in GT6 and we had B-Spec bob then most of us would either just let Bob drive them or we would drive a few laps and let Bob take over. Very few would bother to drive the full race.

Thank you for making some good points there in your reply, rather than just saying 'because they're dumb' like too many others on the forums might. You're right in that damage and mechanical failures, or just random real life variables in general need to be incorporated into the racing to make longer races more interesting. However I still find that the longer the race the better, and that's why it's frustrating that GT6 has very few long races in career mode. To each their own, but even without the variables I prefer long races, and I'm ticked off that PD dropped the endurance races. So many things missing from GT6 that make it inferior to past titles. Thank goodness for Mt Panorama, Ascari, and the GT40 road car! :)

Your reasons for endurance events being boring cite the lack of AI speed, lack of damage/failures, and other things that PD has not brought to GT6, so I think we can both agree that a better game in general would result in better endurance racing, and indeed better racing full stop. Is PD listening???????? We can but hope.
 
Last edited:
I'd like to do a 24 hours race online with a couple of friends and switching places offline etc.
But unfortunately, in Germany you get a guaranteed 24 hours disconnect by your ISP.
So, no chance to do that really beside the bad netcode GT has, which maybe ****s things up anyway. :/
 
Back