24 Minutes at Spa ...kinda funny

  • Thread starter Thread starter HB Jones
  • 7 comments
  • 1,371 views
Messages
133
United States
Boise, Idaho
Spa was my last race in the "S" events for all Gold. I entered it with a 908 and, at the end of the 1st lap when it started to rain, everyone pitted and I was in first ...they must have stopped for rain tires. By the end of the 3rd lap I was almost 2 minutes ahead and pitted on the 4th lap. By this time, I could have stopped for a hamburger.
On the last lap I was so far ahead it was a Sunday drive and I slowed down to let the timer run out.
All of the other events were a fair challenge...what happened to Spa ?? :confused:
 
The AI suck in the rain...
 
And they pit when the track is wet for rain tires, and racing for when it dries.
 
Tuned but only tires bought for a Lexus SC430 GT500 Base Model '08, lapped all but four cars. True story. First win was with a Sauber C9 though.
 
I re-ran Spa (three times for 1.5 million credits) using the Imprezza. While you will get passed several times in the straights, you can catch up/pass in the corners. I only pitted on lap 5 while everyone else pitts frequently, you are in 1st by lap nine. Fun way to earn credits using a 609pp car.
 
Yeah, the AI are scared of a little moisture and pit often
 
I just ran this hoping it would be somewhat challenging. Wrong.
Another fun race possibility ruined by lame AI. C'mon PD, we want to actually race in race cars.
 
I just ran this hoping it would be somewhat challenging. Wrong.
Another fun race possibility ruined by lame AI. C'mon PD, we want to actually race in race cars.

It may be due to my having played the series for too many installments/miles of fake driving, but I have been raising the bar for myself when going through career races in hopes of staying entertained. It's disappointing that the AI is hilariously inept at driving at or through corners with any sort of gusto, but at least some of the cars are pretty to look at while you breeze by. Plus, you get to decide on which side you'll pass them.

A couple things I've found myself doing for kicks during races against AI:

1) Zero tuning. Resist the temptation to do any tuning on a car. (Still it is hard to resist: racing hard suspension, tire improvements, LSD tuning, lightweight stages, etc.)
2) Grandpa driving. keep the cars attitude as close to 0 lean side to side as possible. Keep driving inputs at a minimum and gradually reapply throttle especially through 2nd gear turns (RWD vehicles). Cut it close but never make contact with any competitor or barrier.
3) Dud car. Choose from your garage the car that qualifies but has the lowest PP. Relish its quirks and perhaps mundane acceleration (You could imagine you're competing in your daily driver). I was surprised many times today how easy it was to cruise on by the very snail-ish AI in the National B events with the Pontiac XNR Ghia Roadster (Goodwood Speed prize? I think.) I was finally made a little happier to finally have chocked up a loss in a 500 PP Clubman Cup event. I was passed around the ultimate turn of a three-lap flawless run at Silverstone by an AI-piloted M3 - a car which should have massively outrun even the most adept efforts of my 3-speed ride. It takes a lot, now, it seems, to lose to the AI. You gotta want it. Gone are the days of learning tracks and finding the braking start points of long straits.
 
Back