24-Minutes of Le Mans First Attempt (full race detail)

• Thread starter NitroNihon
  • 4 comments

What do you believe would be your chances of winning the 24-minutes of Le Mans in a Deltawing?

• Total voters
United States
Monmouth, Oregon
NitroNihon
CAR: 2013 Deltawing TURBO
PLACED: 3rd of 16

To start, I did not intend to be anywhere close to podium contention. I simply was giving my Deltawing a run in the 24-minute to see how it stacked up against the top competition. Before I started the race, I was testing elsewhere with this vehicle and constantly found myself backwards after nearly every corner, already knowledgeable of its straight-line only braking. However, once the endurance race started, I immediately found my ground and stuck it to the track with very little trouble! All-in-all, this was probably one of my favorite races I've ever raced in all of my time playing Gran Turismo.

please use this track map for reference as the race is explained: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1424px-Circuit_de_la_Sarthe_track_map.svg.png

00:24:00 - START
Surface water is at 53% and dropping. Tire choice is soft racing tires. First car ahead is a classic Le Mans racer which is soon overtaken 43 seconds in at the Esses due to late braking by the Delta. The rest of the pack is extending their gap with the my car which leaves the impression that I'll likely be stuck back in 15th for a majority of the race, if not the entire race.

00:22:41
Fastest speed on the Mulsanne Straight is 205 MPH before braking for the first chicane. Straight-line braking technique works brilliantly and a constant speed is held around the corner before jamming back down on the power. Next car ahead is an Audi Ultra.

00:21:10
Indianapolis is reached and the surface water has dropped to 26% but looks to be going back up by the time I reach Arnage. A noticeable drop in intervals between the Audi and I are apparent, a pleasant surprise to me.

00:20:28
Rear of the car steps out in the Porsche Curves causing a hair-raising moment. Quick correction keeps the speed and racing line as they were.

00:20:07
Entering the Ford Chicanes and all but 5 cars including myself head for pit road. Surface water at the time has only raised to 28% from 26% back at Indianapolis. Current position is still 15th but the chicanes prove to be a major strong point as lots of ground is made on the Audi Ultra.

00:19:50 - LAP 2
Passing pit road and all who are in it jumps me to 7th. A look at everyone's fuel (3/4 or below) shows that my Deltawing is far more fuel efficient (just over 3/4).

00:19:23
Exiting the Esses and I am right behind the Audi. Coming out of Tertre Rouge is where the move for 6th is made. A wide go around the outside results in a clean pass.

00:18:40
The Audi Ultra has caught a slip-stream and begins to close after the first chicane on the Mulsanne Straight. A move made by me to the opposite side of the track halts his progress.

00:18:00
Night has fallen and the rain is picking up, surface water at 31% and climbing. Audi has yet to fall back.

00:17:17
Major mistake at Indianapolis results in a spin backwards into the tire barrier. Audi only just gets by as I re-enter the track.

00:16:53
Straight before the Porsche Curves sees a pass made on the Audi on the left side. The Delta is forced to run through the grass with the right-rear wheel being the only contact with the track surface. Pass is made without contact and no real loss in traction. Interval is quickly widened through the Porsche Curves. 5th place sits five seconds ahead.

00:15:54 - LAP 3
Pass for 5th is at the start of the Dunlop Curve as the was-2nd place Pescarolo Hybrid leaves the pits.

00:15:45
Late-braking into the Dunlop Chicane puts me right behind the 4th place Nissan sports car. Pass is made entering the Esses.

00:15:26
Exiting Tertre Rouge, the right-rear tire runs over the inside rumble strip and the car spins to the inside and comes to a stop facing the wrong direction. Nissan sports car flies by. Pescarolo Hybrid does so as well but only after I turn around and continue forward. I am now back to 6th.

00:13:17
The Audi Ultra is spun coming into Indianapolis surrounded by much faster competition. A hard bump from behind by the Bentley Speed 8 makes the Audi loose control and slide into the gravel trap at 130 MPH. Contact is made with the side-wall but the the Audi quickly rejoins the circuit in 10th. A Pescarolo Sport is right behind though.

00:12:43
Deltawing makes a daringly fast drive throught the Porsche Curves in an attempt to regain lost ground. The rear again steps out in the same spot as before but is corrected much, much quicker than last time and the speedy cornering continues.

00:12:24
Both the Nissan and Pescarolo dart into the pit lane. The Nissan barely with enough fuel, the Pescarolo Hybrid with just under 3/4 (reason for pitting unknown at time). The Deltwing stays out with half a tank remaining and regains the two lost positions. At this time, all of the leaders are on pit road as well.

00:12:04 - LAP 4
Entering the Dunlop Curve and a pass for 2nd is made on a Peugeot 905 exiting pits. The Leader (an '01 Audi Le Mans) runs ahead just before the start of the Dunlop Chicane.

00:11:34
Exiting Tertre Rouge and the Delta is within slip-stream distance of the Audi.

00:11:14
Passing lights are flashed by the Delta and a move for the lead is made on the right side at 212 MPH. The pass is successful and the door is slammed on the Audi just before the first chicane on the Mulsanne Straight.

00:11:00
Exiting the first chicane and the Audi is notably faster in acceleration as a move is made on the left side left open by the Delta. However the Delta swings left forcing the Audi to dart to the right to keep his speed in order to make the pass. Once it has been made, the Delta quickly pulls behind the Audi and picks up speed, enough to make a late-braking pass to retake the lead before the second chicane.

00:10:23
Lead change

00:10:11
Lead change into Mulsanne, Delta in front once again.

00:09:57
Side-by-side battle for the lead down the straight before Indianapolis but no lead change occurs, the Delta holding on strong on the outside.

00:09:20
Lead change on the straight before the Porsche Curves

00:08:58
Daring move made by the Delta on the outside of the Audi exiting the Porsche Curves. The two cars are side-by-side until the Delta pulls ahead on the following short straight.

00:08:46
An attempted pass is made on the inside by the Audi just before the Ford Chicanes. Falls back as the move was not successful.

00:08:30 - LAP 5
Lap 5 begins and the two leaders are still bumper-to-bumper.

00:08:28
Lead change in front of the main grand stands. Audi now in front.

00:08:22
Attempted pass by the Delta proves failure as he makes contact with the Audi in the Dunlop Curve. A late brake attempt is then made, resulting in a side-by-side run through the first corner of the Dunlop Chicane. Again, the pass fails.

00:08:13
The Audi makes a mistake and goes wide exiting the Dunlop Chicane and the Delta takes the opportunity to make a move, moving into the lead on the right side.

00:07:58
The Audi comes out of the Esses too fast and clips the grass just behind the Delta. Rear of the car steps out slightly but is saved with only a slight drop in speed.

00:07:07
Lead change on the Mulsanne Straight after first chicane.

00:06:59
Lead change coming into the second chicane. Delta leads again.

00:06:39
Lead change

00:06:32
Lead change coming into Mulsanne again by a very late braking Delta.

00:06:21
Lead change

00:06:14
Pass attempt by the Delta on straight before Indianapolis after picking up slip-stream. Audi's power and speed proves to be too much to complete the move. Delta drops right in behind again.

00:06:01
Lead change as the Delta makes a move through Indianapolis.

00:05:37
The Audi struggles to find a way around the Delta down the straight before the Porsche Curves.

00:05:29
The Delta is pressured by the Audi's bumper-touching interval and takes the beginning of the Porsche Curves too quickly for the car to slow properly around the corner. Trail-braking turns the Delta around and the car slides to the inside of the corner. However, his spin only takes him sideways and his car straightens back up after the Audi goes by. The Delta is basically at a stand-still as he begins to proceed forward.

00:04:46 - LAP 6
By the beginning of lap 6, the Delta has regained ground through the Ford Chicanes to cut the interval with the Audi to just one second. Rain has begun to fall.

00:04:33
A late-brake attempt by the Delta is made as he goes side-by-side with the Audi in the Dunlop Chicane. This time the move is successful and the Delta regains first-place.

00:04:03
The Audi exits Tertre Rouge but is far behind the Delta as surface water rises to 6%. The Delta's fuel has just reached the red (note that the Delta has yet to stop). The Audi's fuel is just over 1/4.

00:03:23
Just after exiting the first chicane on the Mulsanne Straight, the Delta is now concerned about it's fuel, having dropped almost half of what it was entering the straight. It is unknown if it can make it to pits in time.

00:02:48
Fuel for the Delta has dropped significantly and it is assumed that it will run dry soon. The Audi has also dropped the interval to just half second.

00:01:53
The Delta has begun to conserve fuel by lifting very early before the Porsche Curves with the Audi close behind. This move however proves useless as the Delta runs out of fuel while entering the curves.

00:01:40
Audi makes the move for the lead through the curves around the slowing Delta.

00:01:18
The Audi darts onto the pit lane to refuel.

00:00:54
The Delta is overtaken a by the now 2nd place Peugeot 905 just before the pit lane entrance. Both cars enter for fuel.

00:00:08 - LAP 7 (FINAL LAP)
The Delta comes to a stop in its pit stall to take a new set of soft tires and just enough fuel to finish the final lap. By the end of its service, the Delta just beats the Peugeot 905 out of pits but still sits in third as the Pescarolo Hybrid takes the 2nd position with 00:00:03 remaining.

00:27:22 (TOTAL TIME) FINISH
The '01 Audi Le Mans racer has taken the win at the 24-minutes of Le Mans! The Pescarolo Hybrid comes in second just 10 seconds behind, and the Deltawing coming home, with lights flashing, to an unexpected but highly celebrated third place finish just 18 seconds back!

Last edited:
Thanks! And all I did was buy engine upgrade 3, a turbo kit, and soft tires.

Oh okay cool. It's interesting to see how well it performed against some of the heavy-hitting LMP's. I'm going to give the race a go in the Deltawing tomorrow and see how it pans out.

Oh okay cool. It's interesting to see how well it performed against some of the heavy-hitting LMP's. I'm going to give the race a go in the Deltawing tomorrow and see how it pans out.

Play all of your cards right and it's very possible to win. I actually did it after I posted this thread.

You'll be really lucky if you don't get the Pescarolo Hybrid in the field ;)

Back