24h Nurburgring in xj13

• Thread starter Shoe67
  • 18 comments
United States
Michigan
Shoe_67
I absolutely love endurance races...always have, and always will...I am a Le mans fanatic, completing 3 24h Le mans races. Now, I need to tackle the green hell. I am setting off in a jaguar xj13, tuned to the max. It will be a very rough race from what I could tell in testing. I will keep everyone updated as I make progress in the next couple of weeks. Any tips are appreciated 👍

Here is an update 6hours and some minutes. Sorry this race will take a while since I have very limited time. Hopefully later this week I will be able to sit down an get 6-8 hours done nonstop.

STARTING LINE UP:
Ayers: Pescarolo Courage Judd GV5 Race Car '04
Peterson: Peugeot 905 Race Car '92
Reeves: Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline '07
Roger: Zonda LM Race Car
Lassila: BMW Mclaren F1 GTR Race Car '97
Lebrun: Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91
Shoe_67: Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66
Roberson: Toyota 7 Race Car '70
Knowles: Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car
Sorrentino: Mazda 787b Race Car '91
Sharp: Audi R8 Race Car Team Playstation
Eichelber: Corvette ZO6 Race Car '63

Start on soft tires.
Lap 1: 8:10.226
Lap 2: 7:59.674
Lap 3: 8:13.313 pit.softs.20liters
Lap 4: 8:41.356 out lap
Lap 5: 8:05.750
Lap 6: 8:09.648 pit.softs.40liters
Lap 7: 8:47.455 out lap
Lap 8: 8:00.002
Lap 9: 8:08.174 pit.softs.50liters
Lap 10: 8:50.736 out lap
Lap 11: 8:17.831 (off track roll over)
Lap 12: 8:07.743 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 13: 8:43.113 out lap
Lap 14: 8:04.415
Lap 15: 8:06.215 pit.softs.40liters
Lap 16: 8:40.979 out lap
Lap 17: 7:58.496
Lap 18: 8:06.024 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 19: 8:39.335 out lap
Lap 20: 8:01.708
Lap 21: 8:07.862 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 22: 8:42.956 out lap
Lap 23: 7:59.743
Lap 24: 8:07.457 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 25: 8:48.023 out lap
Lap 26: 7:59.654
Lap 27: 8:07.894 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 28: 8:47.513 out lap
Lap 29: 7:58.045
Lap 30: 8:10.744 pit.softs.45liters
Lap 31: 8:39.701 out lap
Lap 32: 8:02.430
Lap 33: 8:13.193 (ran out of fuel on last turn) pit.softs.50liters
Lap 34: 8:50.323 out lap
Lap 35: 7:58.620 (head lamps come on)
Lap 36: 8:18.867 pit.softs.50liters
Lap 37: 8:38.455 out lap
Lap 38: 7:55.243
Lap 39: 8:03.008 pit.softs.50liters
Lap 40: 8:41.235 out lap
Lap 41: 7:51.966
Lap 42: 8:08.611 pit.softs.50liters
Lap 43: 8:44.265 out lap
Lap 44: 7:58.258
Lap 45: 8:11.561

Currently it has been dry the whole time. Really happy about some of my fast times (7:51!). I am still attacking the course 100% on softs. Opened my lead up to about 40sec now. Being in the early stages of the night, I feel I can do alright. Hopefully I won't lose to much time in the darkness 👍

Last edited:
you probably dont need any tips considering you have done 3 24 hour races,, just keep on going and your reward will come to you. i look forward to reading this

A tip through the night part (on the Nordschleife 24h):

- in your car, a premium one, turn the "high beem" off and drive with "normal" lights. You will see more without the high beem (one of the GT5 flaws...)

You don't have the "light" problem in a standard car :)

- in your car, a premium one, turn the "high beem" off and drive with "normal" lights. You will see more without the high beem (one of the GT5 flaws...)

The lights are different on every premium car. Some cars does a great job illuminating the road, others are not so well equipped. The Volkswagen Golf V's high beams were bugged (still are?) in the way that they were too high. In fact they didn't illuminate the road at all, but you got a beautiful view of the treetops :P

Crowood

In my xj13, it makes the ground plenty bright right in front of me...but I drive with the high beams so I can see up and out...I need to see my braking points. :lol:

The game really should have a voice calling "box! box! box!" when it's the time for a pit stop. The lack of it has ruined several 24H endurance races for me.

For those who were interested in seeing results, I had to quit 19h in with a 3min lead. Stupid update ruined it. However, I will not be attempting this again any time soon

Shoe67, I stand up and salute you for giving me the perfect idea for a Nürburgring 24H car. I'm in the middle of the race in this brilliant Jaaaaaaag; it's a proper race, not a complete walkover, and the XJ13 is superb to drive. I was struggling to think of the perfect 24H car; I would've used a 787B but I used that in the Le Mans 24 and it was such a piece of piss to beat the others I got bored. But the XJ13 is just fantastic.

CarNut11
Shoe67, I stand up and salute you for giving me the perfect idea for a Nürburgring 24H car. I'm in the middle of the race in this brilliant Jaaaaaaag; it's a proper race, not a complete walkover, and the XJ13 is superb to drive. I was struggling to think of the perfect 24H car; I would've used a 787B but I used that in the Le Mans 24 and it was such a piece of piss to beat the others I got bored. But the XJ13 is just fantastic.

No problem mate. I really enjoyed it. I had a great tune on it that was just loose enough so I could drive with the throttle. Best experience ever.

In my xj13, it makes the ground plenty bright right in front of me...but I drive with the high beams so I can see up and out...I need to see my braking points. :lol:

Jeah, my bad :crazy:

Tested out the Z06 RM Vette with high beams on NS 24h @ night a few days ago. The high beam illuminated the track much better then the "normal" lights. (maybe PD changed that recently or i was fooled by my imagination when i wrote my post above).

For those who were interested in seeing results, I had to quit 19h in with a 3min lead. Stupid update ruined it. However, I will not be attempting this again any time soon

I know that feel.
I tried to do Le Mans 24hrs several times on GT4 and whenever something happens that causes you to stop, it completely puts you in a mood where you cannot face it again :/

I'll attack the ring this weekend in the Honda HSV-010 (engine 3 + midrange turbo ~ 640 HP). Topspeed is a bit poor (about 310 km/h), but i did a 8:06:XXX on NS 24h in my testrun yesterday :dopey:

I'll attack the ring this weekend in the Honda HSV-010 (engine 3 + midrange turbo ~ 640 HP). Topspeed is a bit poor (about 310 km/h), but i did a 8:06:XXX on NS 24h in my testrun yesterday :dopey:

What tires? Cause in my 648pp XJ13 I managed at 7:51 during the race and 7:45 practice :dopey:

Racing soft, had 2 big barrier hits. I guess a Laptime beneath 8 minutes is possible. The HSV absolutly blasts through corners, the amount of downforce is amazing. I hope the rear tires last for 4 lap stints. The LMP1 cars will burn me on straights so i must be much faster in corners and pit stops.

Racing soft, had 2 big barrier hits. I guess a Laptime beneath 8 minutes is possible. The HSV absolutly blasts through corners, the amount of downforce is amazing. I hope the rear tires last for 4 lap stints. The LMP1 cars will burn me on straights so i must be much faster in corners and pit stops.

I could only manage 3 laps on rears. And I was able to hit 215 on straights, so not much was lost to LMPs on straights

Jeah, my bad :crazy:

Tested out the Z06 RM Vette with high beams on NS 24h @ night a few days ago. The high beam illuminated the track much better then the "normal" lights. (maybe PD changed that recently or i was fooled by my imagination when i wrote my post above).

:lol: I was gonna say!? ...In my Peugot 908, if i don't use high beam there are some parts of the track where i can't even see the edges of the track. Through the high speed section after the tightening right-elbow, heading uphill towards the Carousel hairpin, the grass was just as black as the road. Try doing that without seeing the edges and where the kinks are!? :crazy:

Nice post by the way Shoe67. Would be nice if/when you update it with the completed race. That would really suck. I hate when updates do that to ya at the most inconvenient of times! Personally i prefer the the Peugot 908 (except the low beam). My best lap time recently using racing softs after sunrise was 7:43.801... :eek: I flew! Only did it once. I generally did 7:55s. I opted for top end speed. I'd lose some time in the slower sections, but more-than-make up for it whenever i hit 5th & 6th gears.

I do have a question relating to the use of low/high beams:
I always thought that, technically, you're supposed to switch down to low when you see another car ahead so you don't blind them, and then flash them when you're ready to pass. Is this still correct for endurance racing as well, or can you use high beam despite the car in front, simply because you need it? I ended up using low beam only during evening/morning twilight.

Perhaps i should consider a different car if the low beam is so inadequate when it's pitch black... Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I do have a question relating to the use of low/high beams:
I always thought that, technically, you're supposed to switch down to low when you see another car ahead so you don't blind them, and then flash them when you're ready to pass. Is this still correct for endurance racing as well, or can you use high beam despite the car in front, simply because you need it? I ended up using low beam only during evening/morning twilight.

Perhaps i should consider a different car if the low beam is so inadequate when it's pitch black... Your thoughts?

High beams are allways turned on in real life during the night, as far as i know. That is why many cars got their backwindow tainted with film.

If you refer to GT5, i guess flashing lights or high beams doesn't affect traffic at all.

btw @Shoe67: I am 9hrs in the race with my HSV, i'll start a thread soon.

High beams are allways turned on in real life during the night, as far as i know. That is why many cars got their backwindow tainted with film.

If you refer to GT5, i guess flashing lights or high beams doesn't affect traffic at all.

Well of course...I realize that high beams would have no affect on the computerized AI!? I'm just trying to make my racing enjoyment as realistic as possible, including the correct use of lights, etc.

I'm planning to do Le Mans this weekend, so thanks for clearing that up. Cheers.

Back