Buick Verano - On death row

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 99 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
I can believe this, but I really want to buy a Buick.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/12/2013-buick-verano-turbo-packs-250-hp-available-six-speed-manual/

Enter the 2013 Verano Turbo, packing 250 horsepower, 260 pound-feet of torque and yes, an available six-speed manual transmission. This is perhaps the most excited we've been about a Buick in... um... decades?

Powering the Verano Turbo is – you guessed it – General Motors' 2.0-liter Ecotec inline-four. Buick states that the turbocharged Verano can sprint to 60 miles per hour in just 6.2 seconds and that more than 90 percent of the engine's torque is available as low as 1,700 RPM.

01-2013-buick-verano-turbo628opt.jpg

Essentially a sedan version of the Opel Astra OPC/Vauxhall Astra VXR then - those have a little more power, but it's essentially the same thing. Only not as likely to be driven by morons.

Should certainly move though - the VXR does 60 in under 6 seconds, so for something so unassuming the Verano could scare a few people.

I'd like to know if Chevrolet has plans to put that engine in the Cruze, which the Buick is based off of...

It's not technically based off the Cruze, rather they're both based on the GM Delta II platform.

Directly, it's based off the Opel Astra I mentioned in the post above (like the Buick Regal is directly based off the Opel Insignia - Verano/Astra are virtually identical save for detail changes), but over in Europe at least very little seems to be shared between the Astra and Cruze in terms of engines and so on.

That the Chevy Volt also sits on the "same" platform shows you how loosely platform sharing can work these days.

-> IMHO, this could've been a Saturn Astra Redline if that division was still alive. :indiff:

-> Sure its tasty on paper, but come on! A dark chocolate with habanero inside doesn't quite seem right, even with my love of sleeper cars.

For 250hp that 0-60 time is really impressive. Considering 350hp muscle cars were doing that in the '60s, and slightly faster.

Advancements in tire and transmission technology will do that.

Add suspension technology to that as well. If it's basically an Astra OPC underneath, then it also inherits the Hyper-Strut front suspension (similar to the suspension used by Renault in all their RS models since 2006 and Ford in their Focus RS since 2008), which can put all that power to the wheels properly, despite being FWD.

Always liked the Verano, and this just made the Regal that much harder to sell.

What a strange and pointless vehicle. Buick's are still seen as an old persons car and I don't think they will really be able to break that stigma. That engine would make way more sense in a Cruze or if they could stuff it into a Sonic it'd be even better.

Look at the competition it will be facing, it's mostly sport compacts and hot hatchbacks geared towards younger people. I don't think they will be cross shopping a WRX or Focus ST with a Buick.

Looks alright; I'm still not too keen on the Verano's styling, though it looks much better in person. The thing that bothers me is the weight; the regular Verano weighs 3300 lbs, whereas it's prime competitor, the Acura ILX, weighs much less, at 2900-3000 lbs. If Buick really wants to get serious with a Verano Turbo, they need to do their share of weight-saving, whether they change the material of some parts, or incorporate some aluminum into the frame, I don't know, I'm no expert on that. But still, there has to be some way that this Verano can loose 100 or 200 lbs; the Acura is about 4 inches shorter, but weighs 300-400 lbs less.
But still, porky or not for its size, I'm interested to see where this goes.

What a strange and pointless vehicle. Buick's are still seen as an old persons car and I don't think they will really be able to break that stigma. That engine would make way more sense in a Cruze or if they could stuff it into a Sonic it'd be even better.

Look at the competition it will be facing, it's mostly sport compacts and hot hatchbacks geared towards younger people. I don't think they will be cross shopping a WRX or Focus ST with a Buick.

This. It could cure cancer and I still would be unable to bring myself to buy a Buick. Maybe it's irrational, I don't care. It's a friggin' Buick.

elderlymandriving500.jpg

This. It could cure cancer and I still would be unable to bring myself to buy a Buick. Maybe it's irrational, I don't care. It's a friggin' Buick.

Just think about the face on the guy next to you at the stop light as you blow him away in your Buick. :P

Just think about the face on the guy next to you at the stop light as you blow him away in your Buick. :P

But he can always take comfort in knowing that he drives a Camaro/Mustang/Whatever and that you have a Buick. :dopey:

The big question is: Will this Turbo Verano still have E-assist? If so, mark me down.

I drove a Verano around Ft. Lauderdale during the car show and I was pretty satisfied. It bothers me that it's a GM product, but if I think of it as a Chinese import I feel a little better about it. We got a Lacrosse rental to drive from JAX to FSU, and the gas meter barely even budged. The e-assist felt really good to drive as well.

Always liked the Verano, and this just made the Regal that much harder to sell.

Until someone tries to use the rear seats of the Verano. (Essentially, nothing in the "compact-luxury" class has rear legroom).

All-black GNX kit, and less-feminine rear tail lights, please.

2013-Buick-Verano-Turbo-018_JPG_900x900_q100.jpg

Actually, I fit pretty good in the rear seat with my mom driving. I wouldn't be able to get back there with the seat in my driving position though. But the seat goes super far back-- more than I need it to.

I actually didn't think the Regal was that bad. It didn't really seem to lack for space at all, although the trunk was a bit on the shallow side. Good car though.

I'd like to know if Chevrolet has plans to put that engine in the Cruze, which the Buick is based off of...

I haven't heard anything as of late, but I wouldn't consider it to be something completely out of the question. Part of the problem is that I do not think the people at Chevrolet are looking to get slap-happy with the SS badge, particularly with the SS Performance Sedan showing up next year.

My guess would be that GM is more worried about getting the Cruze Diesel launch correct for early next year, and then adding the Sonic RS to the performance category. Doing it to the Chevy will satisfy the bowtie boys, but it will completely undercut the point of the Buick (ie, bringing younger buyers into the showroom).

Sorry, it's time for an anti-GM rant. Skip if not interested in it. :sly:

[rant]

Please god kill it (and Buick) with fire. :yuck: Basing this on the Cruze sounds like a good idea until you realize it will be stuffed even further with wheelie bin plastics and faux wooden "Buick Specialty" trim then sold for too much money. I thought after the early 2000's that Buick couldn't get uglier...was I ever wrong. I find it ironic that everyone's so excited about a boring old people or urban folk pretend luxury car that just happened to be given a good engine and transmission. Newsflash kids, it is still a boring not-well put together Chevrolet that's trying to pass itself off as a sport saloon with luxury intentions. What makes everyone think this is going to be any good? The drivetrain? Yea, right. There's plenty of evidence of GM's good drivetrains in bad vehicles. (*see the last 20+ years) They target the Acura as the closest competition? Are they NUTS? The Acura while UGLY as sin, is a billion times better and more refined than a GM product.

I've been (un)fortunate in having to drive several newer GM vehicles over the past 10-12 months including the new Camaro (:yuck:), LaCrosse, Malibu, and the Cruze. My god how the hell is GM still in business selling crap like the Cruze, Impala, Malibu, Lucerne? Each of these things felt so cheap--as in wheelie bin cheap--that I almost thought I saw a Daewoo badge on the steering wheel. The Cruze and LaCrosse had some hideous wind/road noise at highway speeds and the center console was rather noisy when my arm rested on them during the drives. The suspension in the Malibu and Impala felt like a 1996 Dodge Intrepid mated with a 1977 Chevrolet Caprice and then they added more rubber bushings. And the Lucerne felt as if it was a bloated fat pig--well it is actually a bloated fat pig. :sly: While the Bonneville sitting on the same H-body platform wasn't a stellar contender in the least, it was cheap direct-to-the-point a to b transportation that did not pretend to be anything less. Now take that and add paper thin plastic faux wood trim and decade's old looking center stack you'll start to wonder what GM was thinking on the Lucerne. Now if GM badged the Holden Commodore aka Pontiac G8 as a Buick Regal that would be one sweet deal and something that would of actually been desirable and competitive with possibly a chance to get into my garage.

Not only have they (GM) wasted MY DAMN TAX MONEY by not improving their technology and or desirability + getting "stuff" from China but they aren't even building competitive vehicles--with just the other 2 US automakers let alone the rest of the world. Ford naturally kicks GM's balls but now Chrysler is coming upon them quickly and they (Chrysler) have actually done something with my damn tax money. Their R&D department has slowly started putting out some really well designed vehicles--including increasing their interior build quality. The new RAM is absolutely brilliant inside and out and a serious contender for the wife's new vehicle along with the F150 and Tundra. The new Charger is really good, my neighbor has one (V6 SE) and even with the V6 it is a good solid and well put together vehicle she says. At least Chrysler is going forward and improving upon themselves to compete and build stuff people want to buy.

Now, can we please get Buick to keel over and die like most of their vehicle's owners do on a regular basis from old age and then resurrect Pontiac so we can have the G8 and Solstice back? Nothing for the last 25 years with a Buick badge has been worth a ****. The only thing in the last 39 years worth a **** was the Buick Regal T-Type / GNX which GM killed because they (GM) were (and still are) retarded. Before that it was the GSX / Gran Sport which was toast in the 1974 MY. So almost a half century and Buick has literally TWO good cars? KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Ford dropped Mercury (smartly) because there just wasn't much there after they killed off the Marauder (big mistake) and Lincoln started it's improvement, so GM needs to follow suit and do the same with Buick. And while their at it GMC's time is long overdue for it's demise. :D

[/rant]

I will leave this post with the following positive comment. At least GM did the right thing by going with a 4cyl turbo instead of just stuffing a V6 in it and calling it a day like they would have even 5 years ago. 👍

Actually, the Lacrosse is impressive as far as highway cabin noise goes. This is considering the fact that if you crack open the windows you go deaf from the insane amount of buffeting.

JCE
And the Lucerne felt as if it was a bloated fat pig--well it is actually a bloated fat pig. :sly: While the Bonneville sitting on the same H-body platform wasn't a stellar contender in the least, it was cheap direct-to-the-point a to b transportation that did not pretend to be anything less. Now take that and add paper thin plastic faux wood trim and decade's old looking center stack you'll start to wonder what GM was thinking on the Lucerne.
They were probably thinking that making a decent Toyota Avalon-esque pseudo-luxury car based largely on Cadillac DeVille bits and pieces but at a more competitive price point than the DeVille was would enough of a success that the absolutely massive profit margins would make it worthwhile.

Which it was.

JCE
The only thing in the last 39 years worth a **** was the Buick Regal T-Type / GNX which GM killed because they (GM) were (and still are) retarded.
You can't complain about Buick making the Lucerne on an outdated platform and then turn around and complain because GM killed off the at that point not even remotely competitive G-Bodies.

JCE
Ford dropped Mercury (smartly) because there just wasn't much there after they killed off the Marauder (big mistake) and Lincoln started it's improvement, so GM needs to follow suit and do the same with Buick.
You think Chevrolet can cover the spread between it and Cadillac by themselves? How?

JCE
And while their at it GMC's time is long overdue for it's demise.
GMC sales have been higher than any GM brand short of Chevrolet for at least a decade, probably longer. They don't have to deal with what Chrysler did with Plymouth, or Ford did with Mercury; so there is no reason to risk losing all of them.

Looks alright; I'm still not too keen on the Verano's styling, though it looks much better in person. The thing that bothers me is the weight; the regular Verano weighs 3300 lbs, whereas it's prime competitor, the Acura ILX, weighs much less, at 2900-3000 lbs. If Buick really wants to get serious with a Verano Turbo, they need to do their share of weight-saving, whether they change the material of some parts, or incorporate some aluminum into the frame, I don't know, I'm no expert on that. But still, there has to be some way that this Verano can loose 100 or 200 lbs; the Acura is about 4 inches shorter, but weighs 300-400 lbs less.
But still, porky or not for its size, I'm interested to see where this goes.
This is a problem with most of the GM range. For example, that stupid Cadillac XTS manages to be heavier than the DeVille it replaced, despite being a much smaller car with a V6 rather than the Northstar, completely invalidating the entire point of not making it Zeta-based.

Last edited:
Mountaineer avatar.

:lol:

I'm not really a GM fan, and certainly not a fan of Opel and Vauxhall, but by all accounts the Verano should be a pretty decent bit of kit, as its European equivalents have been getting good reviews already. They're certainly far higher quality than they used to be - the Insignia(/Regal) is light-years ahead of the Vectra, and the Astra(/Verano) better than its predecessor too, although admittedly with a Buick front end it's a bit frumpy-looking.

I do agree that Chrysler's current lineup appeals more though. The Charger (which we don't get in the UK) looks awesome and the 300C (which we do) definitely feels higher-quality now, albeit doesn't look quite as cool on the outside as before.

Wouldn't say GM isn't improving its tech either. The Volt is a fairly good example of that, and I'm yet to speak to another hack or owner who hasn't liked driving it. Quality is way above Cruze levels too.

Back