New Rally Simulator! gRally

• Thread starter Simmpa
  • 36 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Rally fans have reason to be excited, a new rally simulator gRally is apparantly under developement since around 2011, and there are reasons to have high hopes, the developers were former modders of RBR so there will be no kiddy game like Codemasters Dirt series.

http://www.grally.net/

http://www.simracingbase.com/other-games/grally/grally-first-ingame-screenshot/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_racing

2gul349.jpg

My biggest hopes is that the stages will be long and challenging like in RBR were a stage could take 8 minutes to finish and the roads are very thin.

It's about bloody time, Richard Burns Rally has long reigned but new blood is needed. The Dirt games are great and all, and the WRC official games are alright but meh... We don't have a real modern rally sim. I'l be keeping my eye on this one!

Those screenshots don't seem to show very narrow roads though. I'm guessing it'll be another PC game, though I do hope it'll also be considered for the PS4.

Those screenshots don't seem to show very narrow roads though. I'm guessing it'll be another PC game, though I do hope it'll also be considered for the PS4.

The game is not done yet, It´s possible they change alot when It´s released, it might be a year until they release it.

Considering it is no where near completion, not even alpha I'd bet, there would be no reason to release it on PS3 and XBox 360. Also considering it will be open for modding, it's going probably going to be for PC only. True sims don't bother with the consoles after all!

In the mean time, my thoughts on this sim; I have been waiting a long time for something like this. Very excited for a racing simulator to focus just on rally. Definitely watching this game very closely throughout its development stages.

Considering it is no where near completion, not even alpha I'd bet, there would be no reason to release it on PS3 and XBox 360. Also considering it will be open for modding, it's going probably going to be for PC only. True sims don't bother with the consoles after all!
Oh well. Hopefully, by the time they're finished, I will have a gaming PC. :D

In the mean time, my thoughts on this sim; I have been waiting a long time for something like this. Very excited for a racing simulator to focus just on rally. Definitely watching this game very closely throughout its development stages.

*I wonder if this will ever change. Such a shame. These consoles are fully capable (even the PS3 and X360) of handling hardcore driving sims.

**You and me both bud! Ever since experiencing WRC back in the PS2 days, I've been itching for a rally sim that doesn't hold back any punches. This may be it.

Despite how great Richard Burns Rally has aged - no, the trees are not 1000000 polygon 3000d structures, no, the car will not explode into a billion pieces when you hit one of said trees, but it more than makes up for it in the physics, the fact that AI drivers make mistakes, the fact that you can actually go above the 20 minutes of service and the fact that repair time is NOT a fixed value - this is indeed good news. It's been nearly a decade since the last rally sim released, which was said Richard Burns Rally (CMR was never a true sim), and while mods such as the RBR-Online and (maybe in particular) RSRBR (RBR-Online and RSRBR working together.. :drool: ) has kept adding more and more pressure on actual developers to make a response to it, I'd just about say the right thing to do now is to release an entire game by themselves. It may be the only way to break the DiRT-with-effed-up-capital-letter-usage-is-the-only-rally-sim-in-the-world-because-Ken-Block-is-on-the-cover thinking.

Quite strange, actually. I discovered this thread just after talking about RBR in another thread. Irony of fate?

In the meantime, you guys seen all the Assetto Corsa Joux Plane videos on Youtube? Rallying in Assetto Corsa. :)

There's also RallyWorld mod rFactor with heaps of cars. http://www.rallyworldmod.com/
Some of the great tracks made for rFactor have also been ported to RBR, eg. Peyregrosse-Mandagout and Shomaru Pass comes to mind. Only problem is that there seems to be a lack of good dirt tracks in rFactor.

A new game in the same vein as Richard Burns Rally should open up the idea to a wider audience, hopefully. RBR was / is superb, and I now have high hopes for this! :D

Hope to see some support for these indie studios! Just because I hope they will show to the big boys how its done, and how much successful you can be, if you create what fans request! Not some private "visions" if you know what I mean! ;)

Hope to see some support for these indie studios! Just because I hope they will show to the big boys how its done, and how much successful you can be, if you create what fans request! Not some private "visions" if you know what I mean! ;)

I guess hope is the keyword, because with eight people on the team it's going to be very difficult for them to reach the standards of games like AC or PC. Realistically they might be able to create a first building block to something great and then gradually expand from there.

Never played RBR - why is it held in such high esteem?
The stages were detailed, very technical with bumps, ruts and the like, often entirely unforgiving. Many rally games just have wide, sweeping, flat stages that may as well be racing circuits with a different surface. You could also shoot right off into the brush, then get trapped on it, which was as frustrating as it was spectacular at times.

The physics were top notch, and the tyre model made for some interesting handling, notably distinct on each surface with great feel with a wheel (although the tarmac stuff was arguably the weakest). The overall effect was one that favoured being conservative with calculated risks and reigning in your exuberance in exchange for actually making it to the finish. At least until you got really good at it.

Then there are all the mods...

The stages were detailed, very technical with bumps, ruts and the like, often entirely unforgiving. Many rally games just have wide, sweeping, flat stages that may as well be racing circuits with a different surface. You could also shoot right off into the brush, then get trapped on it, which was as frustrating as it was spectacular at times.

The physics were top notch, and the tyre model made for some interesting handling, notably distinct on each surface with great feel with a wheel (although the tarmac stuff was arguably the weakest). The overall effect was one that favoured being conservative with calculated risks and reigning in your exuberance in exchange for actually making it to the finish. At least until you got really good at it.

Then there are all the mods...

Thanks for the info man. So is Dirt Rally not considered better?

Thanks for the info man. So is Dirt Rally not considered better?
No problem.

DiRT Rally definitely rekindled some of that love for technical courses for me, but even that doesn't have the murderous stages that RBR had!

The physics alone are more forgiving, but I would say it is overall an excellent game in its own right, not least because it is so much newer and so well polished. There are also a few mods for it now.

RBR looks a bit skaty, but it also seems more involving, because of the way stage surface / verge etc. detail is used to provide a challenge.

Definitely looks like a promising game...

Gave it a thumps up on the greenlight, and hope it will be as good as it looks. 👍

Voted!
It's Always good to have a new simulator on the scene and even if i am more a GT cars lover i will play this game Too... ;)

Latest Posts

Back