3 beeps of death and multiple accounts question

Jon413warren
My 40gb generation PS3 is dead or dying. I have a few question before I start trying to fix. I am sorry, genuine genuflect, for being lazy and not spending more than an hour searching this and other forums for clear answer.

Details:
A - This is an older PS3 and I have upgraded HD to 250 about 18 months ago. I have current version of system software and GT5 (as of 12-26-11). Haven't had any issues until this eve. 2 hours ago I tried switching user and system shut down. When I tried turning on I got 3 beeps and red light. I tried 2 more times and decided to stop and hunt for answers.
B - I have 3 accounts, one main and 2 subs, and I know all account details (name, dob, password). If I have current game saves of GT5 and F1 2011 for each account on 3 separate thumb drives.
C - I DO NOT have current, complete system back up.
D - My priorities in order: GT5 game saves on 3 separate accounts, F1 2011 game saves on main account, F1 2010 game save on main and secondary account, 5 movies purchases and 1 rental through PS Store, Need For Speed Shift and Unleashed, NFS Pro-street saves.

Questions:
1 - Can I get new PS3 and retain, resurrect my accounts? (From what I have read so far the answer is NO and this makes sense for securities' sake.)
2 - Is it true my thumb drive saves are useless because they are tied to a specific system?
3 - I plan on leaving system off until tomorrow (to cool off, read that somewhere...IDK!) I am hoping this rest or cooling off period will allow me to get back in and do a complete system back-up. If I am able to perform a complete system back up, I plan on rebooting in "Recovery Mode" and, with the hope someone reading this is wise and generous, will know what to do next.
4 - Honestly, I just re-read what I wrote and feel even more lost. Am I SOL?

Ideas? Links?

Anything would be greatly appreciated,
Jon413warren

Last edited:
Also, if I can't get system to start again is everything a loss? And I have PS Plus for main account, but I only chose to have F1 2011 profile saves backed up on regular basis.

Last edited:
Savedatas are not tied to the ps3 they are tied to the PSn account.

Try pressing and holding ps3 button until you get 3 beeps.

Or try contacting Sony, you probably need to restore your file system.

jth
Savedatas are not tied to the ps3 they are tied to the PSn account.

jth
Try pressing and holding ps3 button until you get 3 beeps.

jth
Or try contacting Sony, you probably need to restore your file system.

jth
You may have a corrupted file.

Use the edit button mate, double posting is frowned upon, quadruple posting is asking for it :P.

Just a friendly heads up.

I had the same problem a few months ago. My old fat ps3 got the 3 beeps of death. Below are some of your options.

1. Hope it will run long enough when cool to get your game saves. You can use the saves on a new slim ps3 and you can set up your old accounts on the new ps3. (provided the email addys you used to set them up were valid, and you remember the password for each account)

2. Do the "heat gun" fix, this is what I did and my system would run for about 30 days after the fix. I "fixed' mine like that until I got the new slim.

If you can't keep the old system running long enough to get your saves, you are SOL. If you do the heat gun trick, your old system should easily run long enough to do the data transfer between the two systems and you will avoid all the downloading and stuff. I've been through all this a few times now, so feel free to pm me if you need any help.

Thanks boshuter.

Update: After letting system cool down overnight, and then cleaning thoroughly with canned air and vacuum, I was able to get system on. It must have entered "recovery mode" on it's own because after letting me know there was an issue (I forgot the exact language) with shut-down, the system performed a "restore file" operation which only took a few minutes.
It appears to be working fine and I have been able to keep it running for 1 attempted and another successful back-up. The first USB HD drive I used failed because it wasn't big enough. After reformatting/erasing an un-used 300GB drive using Disk Utility (MS-DOS FAT) the back up took just under 4 hours.

I don't know if the cooling, cleaning, and restoring files is a permanent or temporary fix.

Thinking back I did start to have issues with my friends list in GT5 loading slowly in b-spec remote races 5 or so days ago. I have assumed the slow-down was because of heavy on-line gaming during holiday.

Not sure whether I need to buy a slim or not...

Last edited:
Back