3 screens.. Real car dash.. Highly modified G25.. My car sim

What have you done to the G25?
It is a very nice setup, im dieing of envy over here.

The pedals are removed from the casing, flipped upside down like real pedals and bolted to the frame of the cockpit.

The buttons from the G25 have been moved into the dash of the cockpit as well.. they are those red ones you can see in the video directly over the shifter..

Since the video the shifter has actually been changed as well. Now all you see is the stock volkswagen shift knob and cover coming out of the center console...

P1010269.jpg

Nice!!!

Maybe you could put fans behind the vents in the dashboard to make it even more realistic :)

What would be really clever is having some digital gauges in the VW dash that respond to what's going on in the game ;)

That setup is amazing though, you've gone to massive lengths actually integrating the G25 shifter into the VW gearstick! I'm not sure how much good it'll do your eyes staring at three what... 26" screens?

Impressive, but don't you feel a little uncomfortable knowing you've spent all that money on that setup yet you're still only using a G25 Steering wheel? You could've spent some of that money buying the new Frex wheel or even the JL-G25.

the fanatec 911 wheel is sufficient I find it hard to justify the cost of the Frex wheel. Sure it´s faster and have stronger force feedback but then I can´t use more then 70 % of the force feedback on the 911 and 100 % on the G25 is sufficient for me for sure. But well the G25 doesn´t feel good to me and I asked about the JL-25 and he said I would probably not like it if I don´t like the force feedback of the G25. Even though the belt drive would probably help it a lot. But really I would rather have such a cockpit then a logitech, frex fanatec wheel. (I soon have Nixim RaceCraft :))

the fanatec 911 wheel is sufficient I find it hard to justify the cost of the Frex wheel. Sure it´s faster and have stronger force feedback but then I can´t use more then 70 % of the force feedback on the 911 and 100 % on the G25 is sufficient for me for sure. But well the G25 doesn´t feel good to me and I asked about the JL-25 and he said I would probably not like it if I don´t like the force feedback of the G25. Even though the belt drive would probably help it a lot. But really I would rather have such a cockpit then a logitech, frex fanatec wheel. (I soon have Nixim RaceCraft :))

Fair enough man. Different strokes I guess :)

Speaking of Nixim Racecraft, I am comtemplating getting one but I already own a BRD RaceFrame Pro V.2. I wonder if the Racecraft is more sturdy. I wish Nixim still had those "tube" cockpits for sale. I wanted one but wasn't prepared to pay upwards of $5000 for it :lol:

I can´t use more then 70 % of the force feedback on the 911

Really? I'm curious why not? Is the FFB on that wheel too strong at 70% I really love strong FFB but not if it's too notchy and rattly.

I can use it of course but then after five laps I have serious problem getting any kind of lap times lol.

It get "nnnnnngggh" in high speed corners lol. Probably more resistance then in any race car out there lol. Depending on how you see it you simulate Gforces through the wheel which in real life you mostly feel on the neck :). But yeah I do like strong force feedback but I love endurance racing so you do have to compromise if you are going to do anything but sprint races once a week lol and it shows in lap times when you just can´t turn the wheel like you want to due to the resistance or the bumps in the road.

As for the nixim I don´t have it yet. It seems to be gone now but before racesimcentral updated the server or whatever there was a picture with I don´t know how tall maybe 3 metre staple of some heavy stuff on it. Pretty impressive lol. It´s as stable as any without going for the real safety cage stuff found in real racing cars :)

Can you setup 3 screens so that the side screens look more like your looking out of your side windows. Instead of putting the screens right beside the middle one, place them out to the side more, so that when you look to your left you are looking out of your side window. That way you could see cars trying to make pass attempts better without pushing a button.
Bye the way, your setup is great. I love how you changed the shifter and moved the buttons.

Impressive, but don't you feel a little uncomfortable knowing you've spent all that money on that setup yet you're still only using a G25 Steering wheel? You could've spent some of that money buying the new Frex wheel or even the JL-G25.

I would never spend that kind of money on a Frex wheel when I can just make my own. For $230 to get a 900 degree wheel with an optical sensor, a gated six speed shifter with reverse and three pedals that can be custom modified so easily is worth it to me.

I am actually in the process of making a new cockpit with my own hand made pedals, shifter and steering wheel but it will only work on PC. I wanted this cockpit to work with both PC and PS3 for GT5:P

I also already had the three monitors, PC, PS3, 360, G25 so all I really had to buy was the dash, seat and wood.

Can you setup 3 screens so that the side screens look more like your looking out of your side windows. Instead of putting the screens right beside the middle one, place them out to the side more, so that when you look to your left you are looking out of your side window. That way you could see cars trying to make pass attempts better without pushing a button.
Bye the way, your setup is great. I love how you changed the shifter and moved the buttons.

It would no work properly if you tried to do that with the three screens. You can see people when they're about to pass you though.. it's no problem at all... either way, i've gotten so used to my cockpit and running such good lap times in it now that other people passing me was a problem of the past :)

You use TrackIR for that. Though of course there is less use for it with a triple screen setup but still it complement it really well for sure :)

I would never spend that kind of money on a Frex wheel when I can just make my own. For $230 to get a 900 degree wheel with an optical sensor, a gated six speed shifter with reverse and three pedals that can be custom modified so easily is worth it to me.

I am actually in the process of making a new cockpit with my own hand made pedals, shifter and steering wheel but it will only work on PC. I wanted this cockpit to work with both PC and PS3 for GT5:P

I also already had the three monitors, PC, PS3, 360, G25 so all I really had to buy was the dash, seat and wood.

What I'm thinking is, with it looking so good at the moment, is there any realistic possibility you could use a real VW Golf/Bora/Jetta/whatever you like to call it wheel on the G25 hub?

Back