300

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abijah
  • 14 comments
  • 1,046 views
Agreed, looks like it could be quite a good movie. Ill certainly be keeping on eye on this.

Spec....
 
so this is the film about the battle of Thermopylae I had heard so much about. The trailer looks great, but I am wondering how much will be based off history and how much will be art show. It could fall in between and be a disaster, yet I will most definitely check it out.

I imagine it will be quite different from the 1962 film 'the 300 spartans'.
 
Well, the battle of Thermopylae had a few more Spartans in it, but it's based off the same event(I believe it is anyway). Seems to also incorporate a few mythological creatures. Hopefully it isn't going to be a more realistic re-creation of those Lord of the Rings battles which I can't seem to remember the name of..
 
I agree this movie looks like a good entertaining popcorn flick. Gerald Butler is the lead, who was also seen in Beowulf & Grendel and a more popular movie, Tomb Raider 2. He's a good action star as seen in Beowulf & Grendel (awesome movie I recommend).

I still think this tale is gonna be bastardized/hollywoodized, to the extreme. Already we see monters like Ogre's or Goblins or Trolls in the supplied clips.

Also I'm curious, but isn't the battle of Thermopaylae (sic) not real but actually, Myth, not fact? I've heard about it too but thought it was just a very popular mythological morale tale passed on through the centuries. You guys got factual proof that this battle existed?
 
The Good News: Chances are, seeing this movie will count as a credit in my Humanities course at school
The Bad News: It still won't come out quick enough...
 
I'm skeptical, but not ready to dismiss it. I like action like this, and if I take it for its visuals, it might be quite good, but I'm doubtful of much of its accuracy, myth elements aside, and it looks kind of on the cheesy side to me. The main character seems to overact a bit. But at least he has a beard, like many of the statues, and looks like he physically belongs in the role.
 
I heard the movie was fantastic with good action scene so I'll check it out tommorow. Woot, I can't wait.:dopey:
 
I'm skeptical, but not ready to dismiss it. I like action like this, and if I take it for its visuals, it might be quite good, but I'm doubtful of much of its accuracy, myth elements aside, and it looks kind of on the cheesy side to me. The main character seems to overact a bit. But at least he has a beard, like many of the statues, and looks like he physically belongs in the role.

Based on he comic, not the historical event.
 
Oh right, yeah... Saw it and now it's old news. I still like the trailer better than the actual movie.
 
Those of you with any qualifications in history (or even if you're just moderately well read/educated) please leave your brains at the cinema door or you wont enjoy this at all. Treat it as a fantasy movie that happens to use historical names you recognise and leave it at that.
 
Back