• Thread starter Liquid
  • 46 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Silly name but Jaguar have announced an SUV based on their C-X17 concept car. Happily, this will result in 1,300 new jobs at their Solihull plant. Additionally, Jaguar say their workforce has doubled in three years which must surely be good signs for a safeguarded future.

This is a teaser image of the car which, I must say, is a rather handsome beast. It could have been far, far worse like the Bently EXP; I really don't like that.

Forbes, Top Gear and Jalopnik all have articles on it. Interesting thing of note is that in the BBC article Jaguar say it will not be a gas guzzler wheras the Jalopnik article claims it will be a 'performance' crossover.

xJaguar-C-X17-Concept.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gUC2Z8RQ0VtSot5KcBZM.jpg

A render of the rear:

jaguar_rear.jpg

It looks exactly as it should, one of those cars where you could imagine what it looks like and then it looks exactly like you thought it would! Good looking SUV for sure but could have a little more going on on the sides.

Surely this could cross cannibalise sales with the equivalent Land / Range Rover?

Additionally, Jaguar say their workforce has doubled in three years which must surely be good signs for a safeguarded future.

I wouldn't be so sure, Jaguar Land Rover's prosperity seems to go like a yoyo as history has shown. More recently things have started to not look so great. If developing nations, particularly China keep slowing in growth then they are going to be in trouble again.

Surely this could cross cannibalise sales with the equivalent Land / Range Rover?

This is apparently going to be a 'performance' SUV as opposed to a a Dubai earring Range Rover, perhaps? What this does for the Range Rover Sport is anyone's guess. Although this is a 5-seater so it is probably more comparable to a Land Rover. The Discovery is the more 'genuine' offroader in the trio.

I wouldn't be so sure, Jaguar Land Rover's prosperity seems to go like a yoyo as history has shown. More recently things have started to not look so great. If developing nations, particularly China keep slowing in growth then they are going to be in trouble again.

Perhaps, but Tata have invested £1.5 billion in the place in recent years. That's a heavy sum to input and it'd be dreadful if it backfired on them.

Much is made of cannibalization in the Automotive sector, and whilst taken at face value the idea sounds bad, there are reasons why it's not only not always bad as it sounds, and is sometimes employed as a strategy. I think these days, with process engineering, clever platform design, a market that is bigger than ever before and a society that seems to enjoy the choice of all the segments being served by all the manufacturers, Jaguar could easily make it work. Whether or not the US market will take to it remains to be seen.

What were they thinking? Yes, it has F-type taillights and interior space, but who's idea it was to combine those words? Fpacepalm.

So does this mean Land Rover will unveil an F-Type rival?
The new small Discovery, Defender replacement, plus this new Jag and the XE, should do very well for JLR over the next few years.

So I went looking for the old thread to ask them to be merged. As it turns out, there was no thread made for the concept version of this SUV, the C-X17. How nobody made a thread for that glorious truck I don't know.

Behold, the Jaguar C-X17 that debuted at the 2013 Frankfurt short. You guys have probably seen it before.

Jaguar-C-X17_studi_2666022k.jpg

jaguar-c-x17-crossover-concept-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Anyway, the production version is expected to look basically just like that.

So does this mean Land Rover will unveil an F-Type rival?

The new small Discovery, Defender replacement, plus this new Jag and the XE, should do very well for JLR over the next few years.

The new XE is going to be very important because they need a good selling entry level car and need to diversify the markets they do well in so all their eggs are not in one basket (why it seems that one is aimed at the US for example).

Last edited:
The new XE is going to be very important because they need a good selling entry level car and need to diversify the markets they do well in so all their eggs are not in one basket (aiming it at the US for example).
I still think that they should make XE estate, because that would give a boost to their sales in the European market.

I still think that they should make XE estate, because that would give a boost to their sales in the European market.

It will probably come eventually, the X Type estate did seem to do quite well. German mid segment cars dominate over here so the need to cover all bases.

So I went looking for the old thread to ask them to be merged. As it turns out, there was no thread made for the concept version of this SUV, the C-X17. How nobody made a thread for that glorious truck I don't know.

I do my homework.

Behold, the Jaguar C-X17 that debuted at the 2013 Frankfurt short. You guys have probably seen it before.

Jaguar-C-X17_studi_2666022k.jpg

jaguar-c-x17-crossover-concept-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Anyway, the production version is expected to look basically just like that.

I don't even like SUVs that much, especially not crossovers, but this was a great looking concept car and the final car looks much better than its Bentley rival.

You know, I don't think it's half-bad looking. I caught a glimpse of this machine on "MotorWeek," and I actually think it looks very cool. The design is fluid and fitting. It may not be as gorgeous as the Range Rover Evoque, but I do think it is a good looker. And since blue is my favorite color, I'll even say this thing looks sweet in a blue color like the one in Post #9.

If Post #16 is what the interior of this F-Pace SUV will look like, that will be unworldly boring. Heck, that's not even Jaguar standards for an interior!

If Post #16 is what the interior of this F-Pace SUV will look like, that will be unworldly boring. Heck, that's not even Jaguar standards for an interior!
I'm sure the final production version will have a better quality interior.

1) At least Jaguar held out this long from the SUV-but-we-don't-call-it-an-SUV bandwagon. Spare me the "but these make money" and "everyone else is doing it" and "portfolio" nonsense. This actually makes me a little sad.

2) The name is just a Freudian Slip away from "pee face".

3) Really bland-looking for a Jaguar. If it looked like a cross between a Defender 90 with XK120 cues, then I'd give it a pass.

Looks like a placeholder XF fascia.

That is a terrible interior, paying that much money and having the passenger seat taken by wires, no thanks Jaguar.....no thanks.

That is a terrible interior, paying that much money and having the passenger seat taken by wires, no thanks Jaguar.....no thanks.

I'd be disappointed to get a sticker instead of a satnav too. ;)

Back