3 Noob Questions regarding Online

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
I am a GT6 online noob so I need your help...

1. Is there a grip glitch?
I was shocked the other day when I was easily losing more than 5 seconds a lap (in short circuits). I used to be a decent driver, and in online seasonal TTs I usually get times around 500-5000th. Then I heard some other user complaining about the stupid grip issue. Is there a grip glitch? How to avoid it? I also heard some people asking other players to rejoin...

2. Does searching for room with friends show club rooms?
I mean, if I create a public room under my club, will my friends see me online?

3. Just why the hell do I get an error 90% of the times I try to join a quick match?
After entering, it works fine. But it usually keep searching for a long time before giving an error... highly annoying.

1. No, I don't think so. It might be your tires, or your settings. They redid the physics in GT6, so maybe that's what is causing it to feel weird.

2. Yes.

3. Probably internet... or PSN. I've had similar problems with both.

I am a GT6 online noob so I need your help...

1. Is there a grip glitch?
I was shocked the other day when I was easily losing more than 5 seconds a lap (in short circuits). I used to be a decent driver, and in online seasonal TTs I usually get times around 500-5000th. Then I heard some other user complaining about the stupid grip issue. Is there a grip glitch? How to avoid it? I also heard some people asking other players to rejoin...

There is a difference in the grip levels between offline and online. This is because of tyre wear. In offline mode free run and all races (except endurances) tyre wear is disabled, whereas online tyre wear is always enabled. The result is that your setups which work well offline may not be as good online because they will likely be less stable due to the loss of grip. On average you can expect to be 1.5-2.5 seconds slower round a lap online than offline.

2. Yes I think but not 100% sure.

3. GT6 online is famous for its connectivity issues. There is a networking tips thread in the online racing forum section somewhere. What really helped for me was disabling uPnP in the PS3 network settings, but you will need to remember to enable it again when playing other games.

1. No, not anymore. The grip level may differ due to fuel and tyre wear being on. Fuel and tyre wear being off simulates your car having no fuel with maximum grip, which is not the case when it is on.

2. Yes.

3.Connectivity issues. I have the same problem with quick match.

Regarding #1, there is a big difference between TT's and racing online, and also a huge skill gap even amongst the top 50-100 drivers in the world. The best I ever finished was around 50th and I think I was 1.2 seconds back. When I'd finish 75th to 200th or so, it was always 2+ seconds behind on short to medium length tracks. 500-5000th could be easily 4-5 seconds a lap in a TT. Tunes also matter and can easily be a 1-2 second difference with a well setup car tuned to run at that particular track. When I used to run online in GT5 fairly often, it wasn't unusual to be 10-20 seconds clear of the 2nd place driver in a 4 or 5 lap race and I'm not an alien by any stretch.

So if you're up against a good driver with a good tune, 4-5 seconds is perfectly normal.

I also heard some people asking other players to rejoin..
Rejoin the room or re-enter the track?

If 2 drivers are not seeing each other on track because of "the invisible car issue" (a compatibility issue that sometimes occurs) it's sometimes fixed by both players exiting the lobby and rejoining. So the host will sometimes ask those people to rejoin.

Sometimes in online lobbies, when you switch cars after a race, for the next race, it will still appear to others that you're still in the previous car, even though you're not, you're in a new different car. If it's not allowed in the next race, then this will catch the eye of the host or other drivers... and somebody will then ask that person to cancel entry and re-enter the track, and that solves the problem.

2. Does searching for room with friends show club rooms?
I mean, if I create a public room under my club, will my friends see me online?
Pretty sure it works like this:
If it's public your friends will see it... and everyone will, whether or not they're a member.
If it's club members only, then only club members will see it.
If it's friends only, only your friends will see it.

3. Just why the hell do I get an error 90% of the times I try to join a quick match?
After entering, it works fine. But it usually keep searching for a long time before giving an error... highly annoying.

Quick Match is just plain borked. :crazy:
Sometimes you won't have much problem getting in. Other times you won't get in, or you will get disconnected easily.
This happens to everyone sometimes, and some more than others. It's probably nothing to do with you specifically.

[QUOTE="watermelon punch, post: 10468597,
Quick Match is just plain borked. :crazy:
Sometimes you won't have much problem getting in. Other times you won't get in, or you will get disconnected easily.
This happens to everyone sometimes, and some more than others. It's probably nothing to do with you specifically.[/QUOTE]

Not true,sorry. I have never been rejected from Quick Match races as I have my static IP,DMZ & Port Forwarding with correct PSN port numbers & protocols done,with Up&p turned off on ps3. I also have no issues with joining lobbies,seeing/hearing people although it doesn't help others see/hear each other,that's their connection. Also when hosting you get the correct tyre compounds for all drivers in replays!!!

Not true,sorry. I have never been rejected from Quick Match races as I have my static IP,DMZ & Port Forwarding with correct PSN port numbers & protocols done,with Up&p turned off on ps3. I also have no issues with joining lobbies,seeing/hearing people although it doesn't help others see/hear each other,that's their connection. Also when hosting you get the correct tyre compounds for all drivers in replays!!!

You do know there's no possible benefit from Port Forwarding if you're already in a DMZ right?

A DMZ bypasses the need to forward ports.

You can have the best connection in the world and still have lobby issues on GT6, it's just a design flaw.

You do know there's no possible benefit from Port Forwarding if you're already in a DMZ right?

A DMZ bypasses the need to forward ports.
Sorry,not absolutely true,despite popular belief. If all router manufacturers used the same firmware it would work,but as they do their own,they do things their own way,creating this sort of issue.
I have had "0" issues since early 2014,after getting sick of the problems and helped many people in the RaceOnOz league solve these type of issues permanently,I even worked out that some companies routers will never work properly for gaming,no matter what due to the firmware and chip sets, the Thomson/Technicolor/Thomson-Alcatel "Gateway" series routers are classic examples.
The benefit is that if your router manufacturer has a protocol on one of those ports,it will be moved to another port,unblocking it,which DMZ does not do.
Example: The Netcomm Wireless NB-604N has a web protocol on port 80,which is the first PSN port number. It gets moved to port 8080 when you set your port forwarding,something that DMZ setting alone does not do. Like most things,the devil is in the detail..
I race in lobbies where all have done the above only, or nit at all,so it doesn't worry me if people don't help themselves.
All the information is there on the net,I just accessed it instead of sitting on my hands whinging about it and now know there is NOTHING wrong with the PSN,it's uninformed users. Racing requires super accurate timing which is why Up&p doesn't work properly for it.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, the DMZ allows all and any traffic through, "unblocking" ALL ports by default.

But obviously this only effects the device that is within the DMZ.

Port 80 is HTTP which I'm sure you know, you go through it every time you load a website.

If it's a secure site using HTTPS, you'll be communicating through Port 443.

Again, I'm sure you know about this, but I'm just clarifying for anybody else reading the thread.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, the DMZ allows all and any traffic through, "unblocking" ALL ports by default.

But obviously this only effects the device that is within the DMZ.

Port 80 is HTTP which I'm sure you know, you go through it every time you load a website.

If it's a secure site using HTTPS, you'll be communicating through Port 443.

Again, I'm sure you know about this, but I'm just clarifying for anybody else reading the thread.
You've actually hit the nail on the head,disproving your own thoughts on DMZ unblocking. If port 80 & 443 are left as HTTP & HTTPS protocols,then when the PSN assigns either of those ports to a player, anyone with those protocols not moved has issues seeing and hearing them. Anyway,get a few racers together and try it out,you'll see from experience when you can see and hear ppl that can't see or hear each other going around joined at the hip.

If port 80 & 443 are left as HTTP & HTTPS protocols

Not sure what you mean by this, those ports can be nothing but HTTP/HTTPS...

I'm fully aware of how flawed the network infrastructure is on GT, since I only play for online.

I've never seen or heard of other games having invisible player issues like GT has.

:rolleyes:
For all I know someone's schedule might be so that they're never attempting to join Quick Matches during peak times.
So if they say they never have problems, I might assume their scheduling makes them less likely to have problems.

I know from trying it at various times throughout the day & weekends, that there are definitely times where the participation rate goes WAY up. And it coincides with peak prime time in time zones in different parts of the world.
And those are the only times I've experienced any DCs or problems joining... not a coincidence I think.

And I've never not seen correct tire display in replays. Never even heard of that. :boggled:

But beyond all that... There are people who have NO other problems.. and still have problems with Quick Matches sometimes.
Also people who have no problems with online in other games, but have peculiar problems with Gran Turismo.

And I know someone who uses that port forwarding whatever... and still experiences invisible cars pretty regularly.
And I don't.
I have a hard wired cat6 wire connection directly from the modem/router to the PS3... and just a standard network, no special set-up.
And I generally don't have the kind of problems other people report.

Yours would be a case of the modem/router you have does not have any protocols on the PSN port numbers. You can check on the official GT6 website and there is an official post with the port no's and what protocol(TCP/UDP) to set them on. You are definitely right about peak times,in quick match mode a lobby won't open for only 1 person,although it may seem like it because if they're people that would normally not see each other in lobbies they'll both be in there,thinking they're the only one's racing

Back