Why do some people lag so much online?

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 21 comments

The87Dodge

(Banned)
United States
Seattle, WA
rizkeat
Whenever I am online in a lobby, everyone seems to be driving normally, and once in a while, there is someone lagging like crazy. It seems like foreigners usually lag more, but some Americans lag too. Why does this happen?

Whenever I am online in a lobby, everyone seems to be driving normally, and once in a while, there is someone lagging like crazy. It seems like foreigners usually lag more, but some Americans lag too. Why does this happen?

It's usually to do with the speed at which the lagging player's PS3 can communicate with everyone else's.

If you're in America, you'll see someone in Australia lagging because it takes time for the signals to go from Australia to America. It's not necessarily anything wrong with the connection, it's just a limitation of being 14,000km apart.

If you're seeing lag from someone within your country, it's probably due to something else. Maybe they have a low bandwidth connection and can't send information fast enough (less likely these days). Maybe they're downloading stuff at the same time. Maybe it's just a busy night and there's a lot of internet traffic between you and them and it's slowing things down.

Things like clearing the cache and getting router settings right can help sometimes. But if it's them lagging and not you there's not much you can do about it.

Hope that helps.

1) Not everyone's online connection is at the same speed. Some people have a fast internet connection, some have mediocre, and some have the bare minimum needed to be able to play online. Those that have very low internet speed are bound to have lag.

2) If the person you're playing with is quite far from you, i.e. halfway around the world, you're bound to experience lag, no matter how good your connection is. The farther the person is from you, the more lag you experience. That's one of the reasons why hosts seem to kick other people that are not the same country as theirs, especially on lobbies where the host wants a serious race. They just want to avoid lag.

There's a difference between these things...

A bit of shakiness lag... the kind you see if you're an American racing with someone in New Zealand... especially you can usually see it in replays, where the other person's car doesn't look as "smooth", but often you won't even notice it in the race. Well that's one thing.

But that "Car goes crazy with lag" issue is something ENTIRELY different.
That's a lag spike or lag bombing.

And that could happen with anyone racing with anyone from anywhere.

Lag bombs or lag spikes are caused by someone's connection being interrupted or squeezed during the racing.

And actually often it's been someone who's not only in my country, but I've seen it happen with someone I used to race with who was less than 100 miles away from me.

Like if someone on the same internet connection is STREAMING VIDEO at the same time someone is racing.
It's especially likely if someone uses WiFi to connect the ps3 to the internet. (Hard wire connection is always more reliable.)

Another issue might be if someone lives in an area where their local hubs are not up to par for the population they're serving. (This is common in some parts of the U.S. So definitely not a reason to think American-only lobbies are going to cure this!)

I regularly race with people on other continents and RARELY see that kind of lag bombing.

But when it has happened, we've discussed it.
Usually it turns out the person knew the cause.
Someone was trying to stream Netflix in the house during the race.
Someone was connecting through WiFi at their university house while a bunch of their roommates were home using the internet at the same time.
That sort of thing.

Also, if someone's modem/router has become corroded or otherwise deteriorated over time, they might have problems.
I recently had to replace the modem/router, and remove a piece of hardware being used.

So basically, what I'm saying is there's no reason to become xenophobic about racing with people from other countries or a certain distance.
Because racing with only Americans is NOT going to guarantee you won't ever see lag, have compatibility problems, or have someone lag bomb their way around the track.

Furthermore, I have known people from Brazil, France, Italy, and Japan, who had American flags next to their name in lobbies. It's entirely possible to get an account from another country. So you're not going to guarantee that kicking everyone with a different flag is going to keep out foreigners either.

Also, in fact, in Quick Matches, MOST of the time I've seen people lagging really badly... it's been Americans & Canadians. And just recently I suspected one of doing it totally deliberately.

Some people know they're lagging, know how to make themselves lag (choke their internet deliberately), and do it on purpose as a form of griefing.
I have suspected this since I've seen references to this on this forum, as well as in lobbies. :rolleyes: One time in a lobby I saw someone demonstrate how they can make themselves lag. So that's totally possible.

Though MOST of the time the person is a newbie to online racing, and doesn't realize that if they see EVERY other car lagging - the lagger is them. *sigh* So sometimes those people need that pointed out to them.

Last edited:
Lag can also be caused by having the media server connectivity enabled in your ps3 network settings.
9x out of 10 a person lagging has, as you said,others using their internet connection at the same time,but the other major cause of lag is people not knowing Mobile Broadband (3G,4G) IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE PSN,PERIOD!!!! It only uses One port,and has variable ping as it moves from tower to tower.
If possible,try to use Annex M ADSL/ADSL22+ profiles as you can sacrifice some download speed for upload speed,you don't need 20Mbps download,only about 3Mbps,but upload above 1Mbps is extremely advantagious!

but the other major cause of lag is people not knowing Mobile Broadband (3G,4G) IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE PSN,PERIOD!!!! It only uses One port,and has variable ping as it moves from tower to tower.

OMG... :eek:
It never occurred to me that people would attempting to race online with cell phone connection to the internet. :confused:
That's surely crazy. :crazy:

Lag can also be caused by having the media server connectivity enabled in your ps3 network settings.

That's interesting, never knew about that. Can anyone else confirm?

It never occurred to me that people would attempting to race online with cell phone connection to the internet. :confused:

I think many do use mobile internet. I do have a few that use it and they never lag ( different countries, one from HK and Japan - we play countless Gundam multiplayer with voice chat ). They even use it for torrent, which I also have secondary internet with mobile broadband for torrent download, it can cope with 9000 max connections, 5 torrent jobs/60 peers per job and each at 100kBps while I browse GTP on another computer ( it's modem router with HSDPA ) I used it sometimes for Battlefield Bad Company 2 online, never lag even when room is full ( voice chat too ), otherwise I won't do insane sniping with my G3 + 4X Scope :D

What i have learned from this thread:

• Clean the Cache.
  • Use LAN Cable (already done).
  • Turning off the PS3 media server.
  • Play with players closer to your place (sadly players who's in my/near by country plays GT6 and have fun in a really REALLY different way than what i want).
  • Most importantly HAVE A FREAKING GOOD CONNECTION and DON'T use an mobile Connection (i never do that anyway)
  • anything else???
(sorry for "CAPSLOCK ON" on some lines)

• Play with players closer to your place (sadly players who's in my/near by country plays GT6 and have fun in a really REALLY different way than what i want).
No, I still maintain that this is silly and ignoring the realities of connection quality & reliability being much more important than geographic proximity.

You get 2 people 5 miles away from each other, with crappy internet services who've failed to invest in maintenance, with their ps3s connected to their router via WiFi.. and they're NOT going to have a better experience just because they're close in distance.

The hope that internet connection problems are just a problem you can avoid by not racing with "OTHER" (ie: foreigners or "strange people from strange lands") is a fiction that might be comforting to the already xenophobic, but holds little basis in fact or logic.

I think many do use mobile internet. I do have a few that use it and they never lag ( different countries, one from HK and Japan

HK - Hong Kong? Hong Kong is one of the most connected places in the world. They have the most density of wired lines, and the highest internet connection speeds in the world. They also have one of the most dense (if not the most dense) mobile connectivity access, and apparently some of the most densely available WiFi in the whole world.
So that might have something to do with it.
I'm not even sure if you can even compare mobile internet there to mobile internet in other places.
And it doesn't predict well at all the experience that Americans are likely to have if they use the same type of connection. Especially if said American is positioned halfway between Wichita and Denver. :eek:
Within the USA, connectivity on all fronts varies HUGELY from region to region, let alone considering one country's difference from another.

No, I still maintain that this is silly and ignoring the realities of connection quality & reliability being much more important than geographic proximity.

You get 2 people 5 miles away from each other, with crappy internet services who've failed to invest in maintenance, with their ps3s connected to their router via WiFi.. and they're NOT going to have a better experience just because they're close in distance.

The hope that internet connection problems are just a problem you can avoid by not racing with "OTHER" (ie: foreigners or "strange people from strange lands") is a fiction that might be comforting to the already xenophobic, but holds little basis in fact or logic.

HK - Hong Kong? Hong Kong is one of the most connected places in the world. They have the most density of wired lines, and the highest internet connection speeds in the world. They also have one of the most dense (if not the most dense) mobile connectivity access, and apparently some of the most densely available WiFi in the whole world.
So that might have something to do with it.
I'm not even sure if you can even compare mobile internet there to mobile internet in other places.
And it doesn't predict well at all the experience that Americans are likely to have if they use the same type of connection. Especially if said American is positioned halfway between Wichita and Denver. :eek:
Within the USA, connectivity on all fronts varies HUGELY from region to region, let alone considering one country's difference from another.

i agree. in the room i run we can have japan and british racers among others with no issues but some americans are so glitchy. the only ones with regular issues seem to be the aussies/kiwis for some reason

Some people don't have a choice. They might not live in an area where there are good wired alternatives. My parents actually get internet over a radio link, although that's not really the same as cell network based internet. People in their situation might just settle for 3g or 4g based internet instead, however. That would certainly have a lower initial cost.

Some people don't have a choice. They might not live in an area where there are good wired alternatives. My parents actually get internet over a radio link, although that's not really the same as cell network based internet. People in their situation might just settle for 3g or 4g based internet instead, however. That would certainly have a lower initial cost.
Yeah but the point is your parents aren't online racing and then wondering why they have a bad experience. That's the point.
Also... in some parts of the US, the wired options stink, let alone anything else. It just varies widely in the US.
i agree. in the room i run we can have japan and british racers among others with no issues but some americans are so glitchy. the only ones with regular issues seem to be the aussies/kiwis for some reason
I think internet also is varied in Australia. Much like the US, there are scattered areas that probably have less options. And there may be similar economic policies.
Unlike Sweden or South Korea, and some other countries who've made internet a priority to have standards.

Last edited:
Us kiwis generally have crap internet speeds unfortunately, and as far as I'm aware the Aussies aren't much better off.
I can only get ADSL connection where I live and that's very sloooow. Speed test I just did was 1.19Mbps download and 0.44Mbps upload! (I don't even bother to try and race online. :() VDSL isn't available in my area and isn't much faster either. There is a fibre cable going right past my house but there are no connection points installed for residents - it was only put in for schools in our area with no indication of when they will let anyone else connect to it. Fibre options when they do are 30/10Mbps download/upload and 100/50Mbps download/upload.

Us kiwis generally have crap internet speeds unfortunately, and as far as I'm aware the Aussies aren't much better off.
I can only get ADSL connection where I live and that's very sloooow. Speed test I just did was 1.19Mbps download and 0.44Mbps upload! (I don't even bother to try and race online. :() VDSL isn't available in my area and isn't much faster either. There is a fibre cable going right past my house but there are no connection points installed for residents - it was only put in for schools in our area with no indication of when they will let anyone else connect to it. Fibre options when they do are 30/10Mbps download/upload and 100/50Mbps download/upload.

that sucks. one thing i do love about u kiwis is the pregame ritual of your rugby team

Yeah but the point is your parents aren't online racing and then wondering why they have a bad experience. That's the point.
Also... in some parts of the US, the wired options stink, let alone anything else. It just varies widely in the US.

I think internet also is varied in Australia. Much like the US, there are scattered areas that probably have less options. And there may be similar economic policies.
Unlike Sweden or South Korea, and some other countries who've made internet a priority to have standards.
They don't, but if I had still been living with them, I would have had to settle for whatever they decided on.

If you're in Europe,apart from the slower net in NZ,and slightly faster Aus net(Fibre in process of rolling out,some have),the main reason for their lag is that the PSN for us goes via Hawaii-Los Angeles-New York-London then into Europe,although I personally don't have much problem with euro's lagging or them saying I'm lagging,until I get in with Spanish,Portuguese and Greeks,all basket case economies,lol

Back