Using Cars Stock (or with minor tuning)

• Thread starter Gyro1780
  • 28 comments
England
Surrey
Spoox777
I decided a little while ago that i would replace most of my tuned cars with stock replacements. Some drive nice straight from the dealership & some i've done minor tuning too like a suspension upgrade just to get them handling a bit better.
I got so bored of doing the same thing over & over. Buying a car, fitting an aero kit (if needed) changing the wheels & adding tuning upgrades to end up with a car that handles like it's on rails.
Does anyone on here have any cars (or a garage in the tuning section) that have had minimal upgrades to improve them but kept as close to stock as possible?
I've had more fun with the game using cars stock or with the minimal upgrades so thought i'd ask here to see if anyone could recommend some for me try.

Thanks a lot 👍

I tune my cars by only adding the suspension, transmission, and LSD.....no power upgrades or weight reduction at all unless I'm tuning for a Seasonal. Been doing it this way for some time now.

Do you have any tunes posted on here? I'd like to try them if you have 👍

Do you have any tunes posted on here? I'd like to try them if you have 👍

Nah, I'm not really good at tuning at all....I leave that up to the professionals around here to share their expert tunes. It would be an embarrassment for me to share my amateur work. Better off to browse the bigger, more well known garages if you want a quality tune.

Nah, I'm not really good at tuning at all....I leave that up to the professionals around here to share their expert tunes. It would be an embarrassment for me to share my amateur work. Better off to browse the bigger, more well known garages if you want a quality tune.
Agree, just don't try mine. :P Actually though, when you did have some tunes, I tried one and it was a great stable tune. Being a minor tuner myself, I prefer tinkering on the cars rather than trying other's tunes, but I think beginners would find enjoyment by using your tunes. Also, I take it you decided you are not going to restart your new garage?

I decided a little while ago that i would replace most of my tuned cars with stock replacements. Some drive nice straight from the dealership & some i've done minor tuning too like a suspension upgrade just to get them handling a bit better.
I got so bored of doing the same thing over & over. Buying a car, fitting an aero kit (if needed) changing the wheels & adding tuning upgrades to end up with a car that handles like it's on rails.
Does anyone on here have any cars (or a garage in the tuning section) that have had minimal upgrades to improve them but kept as close to stock as possible?
I've had more fun with the game using cars stock or with the minimal upgrades so thought i'd ask here to see if anyone could recommend some for me try.

Thanks a lot 👍
I did this on a ford focus st I have it a weight upgrade to than add balast weight to get the balance to 50/50, gave it racing brakes and gave it a suspension setup that gives it no understeer whatsoever.

I'm always running every car 100% stock, but have been thinking for sometime to try some minor upgrades. The thing that puts me off tuning the most is the ear bleedingly-awful sound sample PD have used for transmission whine, it grates on me so bad it's unbelievable! I've not used any serious gear tuning since GT5 Prologue. Roll on Project CARS.

VBR
I'm always running every car 100% stock, but have been thinking for sometime to try some minor upgrades. The thing that puts me off tuning the most is the ear bleedingly-awful sound sample PD have used for transmission whine, it grates on me so bad it's unbelievable! I've not used any serious gear tuning since GT5 Prologue. Roll on Project CARS.

I've been testing the stock Ferrari 458 with a few small adjustments & it handles pretty good round Midfield. I added Sports Soft tyres, Hard Suspension kit, Racing Brakes & a Twin Plate Clutch.

Thanks a lot 👍

If you just want to do a minimal tune I find that the following works well on a lot of the cars in the game:
Race soft suspension, racing brakes (7/4), custom LSD (10/25/15) - raise the middle figure in small steps up to 30 if the car has a tendency to spin out on corner exit. Raise the first figure from 10 to 12 if the car has high power. I find those changes are often faster (for my driving style) than the proper tunes listed on GTPlanet unless the car has handling problems.

The race exhausts often spoil the sound of car, so I check them for sound. If possible I get round the noise problem from the custom gearbox, by fitting a close ratio box instead.

Run virtually everything stock or just adjust LSD & brake balance. Some cars I do put race suspension on then set it to the same as the standard settings apart from reducing camber & toe.
Occasionally fit light engine parts, as in not turbo to make a car usable in a race but never ramp the power to max, just use a more suitable car.

I personally like to run the Lancer Evolution IX stock. It handles much better than most stock cars due to the AYC and if you upgrade the tires on it, you can get the AYC controller and just raise the sensitivity a bit.

The F40 still puts a smile on my face in stock trim. I tried out a few tunes from the seasonal which improved my times but they almost neutered the car in return. I started to try too hard and lost a lot of the enjoyment chasing the new ghost lines. Switched back to stock, turned off the ghost line and enjoyed the event again. Obviously slower but sometimes it's good to drive to the cars limits rather than your own.

Tuning has its place (I try for my quickest hot lap times too) but sometimes it greys the area between the different cars, getting them handling too similarly or trying to iron out the perceived faults and losing some of the cars character. I don't see anything wrong with driving the cars how PD made them. Warts and all.

(I like weight reduction when I'm done with stock trim though. Often a night and day difference to the handling.)

I only drive cars that are fresh from the dealership. I equip Comfort Soft tires and head straight to Mid-Field Raceway.

I race against my ghost until I can't beat myself anymore, which usually only takes around 5 laps plus a bunch of restarts.

See the 3rd link in my sig for my current (and best) project.

I used the BMW Z8 and Toyota Supra RZ '97, both without any upgrades (Stock) in FR Challenge and I had won with these cars in all races easily.

I've yet to run a car in GT6 with any upgrades. In fact my "tune" consists of downgrading the tires at least one grade, not using the magic oil change, adding 80-90kg in ballast and turning off all the nannies. Anything less feels like cheating, heh.

Just my preference for offline. No I don't win that many races easily and there's many career races I still haven't won. But I don't get bored with GT6, driving this way is a lowest common denominator experience. Just the car and the track.

The suburu BRZ and the m3 csl chromline are both good cars stock from the dealership. They handle well with just some throttle control.

I only ever race online in stock lobbies. There's just something more interesting about driving completely untuned cars, and getting to know their individual traits. You just simply don't get that with tuned cars - all their character is lost and they all drive the same. :lol:

I only ever race online in stock lobbies. There's just something more interesting about driving completely untuned cars, and getting to know their individual traits. You just simply don't get that with tuned cars - all their character is lost and they all drive the same. :lol:

Why do people assume this? This isn't true at all.

Most of my racing of cars higher than 400PP are that of stock cars (tuning prohibited) on Comfort tires. As far as personal enjoyment goes, I tend to set cars up as closely as I can with default suspension values used prior to the 1.09 update (the alignment "fix" update--this entails removing 0.5 front and 1.5 rear camber on RWD cars and removing 0.4 rear toe from all) and nothing else, save for older cars with tall 4-speeds desperately in need of more gear (which usually consists of adding a 5th with 1-4 and final retaining default values).
Why do people assume this? This isn't true at all.
Agreed, but the other side of that coin is the people who deem a car not very good because they've added all upgrades but haven't tuned it very well.

You underestimate yourself there Mitch:tup:
Some of the tunes you posted up ages ago suited my driving style:cheers:

There are a few cars in my garage that I keep 100% stock from the Dealership, or at least one of the tab's in that car's settings page is 100% stock as from the Dealership. Then I have quite a few cars that have only had the customizable suspension installed. Sometimes I will do that just to get rid of the obscene rear and/or front toe that the car comes with.

Um what ? Almost ALL stock cars in GT are crap to drive because of PD and their odd way of tuning the car. The cars are no where close to their real life versions. So its actually better to tune your car than to sometimes drive it stock. All you have to do is find the right tune.
I often use realistic tunes which makes the car handles the way its suppose to handle in real life. Btw semi racing exhaust on ANY car sounds dramatically better than their stock versions. Tuning doesn't mean adding all upgrades. Sometimes it just means adding an extra 20hp, removing 50kgs and softening the suspension and moving tires up to SM or SS. Don't let those people who upgrade everything and add RS tires fool you.
Try out a Mclaren mp4 GT3 tune and a fully upgraded Mclaren. Let me know if they drive the same.

Um what ? Almost ALL stock cars in GT are crap to drive because of PD and their odd way of tuning the car. The cars are no where close to their real life versions. So its actually better to tune your car than to sometimes drive it stock. All you have to do is find the right tune.
I often use realistic tunes which makes the car handles the way its suppose to handle in real life. Btw semi racing exhaust on ANY car sounds dramatically better than their stock versions. Tuning doesn't mean adding all upgrades. Sometimes it just means adding an extra 20hp, removing 50kgs and softening the suspension and moving tires up to SM or SS. Don't let those people who upgrade everything and add RS tires fool you.
Try out a Mclaren mp4 GT3 tune and a fully upgraded Mclaren. Let me know if they drive the same.

Your missing the point. I'm bored of tuning & i want to keep the cars stock. All i'm changing with the majority of my cars is Suspension, LSD & sometimes Transmission.

Your missing the point. I'm bored of tuning & i want to keep the cars stock. All i'm changing with the majority of my cars is Suspension, LSD & sometimes Transmission.
I'm not missing the point at all. I only replied to the post that poorly misrepresented tuning. If you're keeping the cars stock (which aren't) then more power to you. I get that you're bored of tuning if you truly want to drive stock cars then you're going to have to tune them to the real stock specs. The only thing stock in GT6 is the info/history PD provides for you to read and the way the cars look.

Ok.. depends.... but what I liked most in most (not all) road cars, is to i can adjustment the suspensions, like asborbers, springs, geometry, brake distribution, etc. will i am not very interested to the upgrade in horsepower or to much the engine, or the aerodynamics in most, or the rigidity chassis, to make a whole different car, or a road car after to come a race car with a full racing slick tires... most of time for offline i copy the stock suspension settings, after i upgraded the suspension for example with full customizable, and after i copy the stock settings to the upgraded customizable suspension, and after i tune this with very little or little more the stock settings to make a good balance and control at the limits the car for better lap times and more enjoyable car driving WITHOUT ABS, TRACTION control or any other driver aids, thats the target for me, to drive good and realistic without electronics, abs ect... sorry for my bad english, i hope to understand me with this english, if not understand me, tell me to explain with sketch or with painting lol

So, every bit of the car's driving dynamics. Just saying. :lol:

Good point but only because most of the cars don't handle that great when 100% stock. I like to make as few adjustments as possible just to get the car to handle the way i want too. Sometimes i only ever need to add Sports Tyres as everything else is fine from stock.

There are enough cars in the game that I have real-world experience with to inform my opinion that none of the cars in the game handle the way they're supposed to. There's a difference, however, between tuning to handle well and tuning to handle realistically.

There isn't a single car in the game I've driven in the last few months that I haven't applied different alignment values to (yeah, I'm referring to the global default 0.60 rear toe for road cars and -0.50 front, 1.00 rear for race cars--with additional arbitrary camber values for rear-wheel-drive subjects) to get something I can only imagine is closer to real-world characteristics, but the changes I make in this regard are arbitrary and consistent as well so as to not affect change differently from one vehicle to the next. That said, it's still tuning.

Something else I do frequently is add an overdrive 5th gear to 4-speed cars with short legs (the Ferrari 250 GT passo corto being a perfect example with its 121mph effective limit--124mph with careful throttle application over straight and level road surfaces) just to get a little more out of the car without any change to the 1st through 4th stack or the final drive so as to not change the feel of the car excessively. Again, it's still tuning.

Most of the competitive driving I do with others online in cars above a certain PP (I'm no stranger to kei cars with 350, 380, or 400PP tuning limits) is with cars I like to refer to as "dead stock," as in no upgrades whatsoever and no oil change, on Comfort tires in rooms where tuning is prohibited and only Comfort tires are allowed. Is it perfect? No. Are there still disproportionately fast cars? Yes. But as a whole, it evens things out a bit because everyone has to cope with the aforementioned arbitrary alignment values.

And just to touch on that last statement, driving characteristics don't actually change with the addition of tires graded different from those supplied as default (cars are notoriously over-tire'd in the game anyway--UHP Summer tires generally have superb wet grip, but the Sports Hard compound supplied for high-end cars with these tires, as well as cars wildly undeserving of this level of grip, respond horribly as the driving surface gets saturated)), they're just emphasized on harder compounds; if a car understeers, it's going to understeer.

Back