Australia: Nissan Pulsar SSS Turbo Sedan

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 27 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/N...IGHTS-INTRODUCTION-OF-NISSAN-PULSAR-SERIES-II

Pulsar-SSS-Web-3QF_W2_Supply-3-600.ashx

Why is this significant? Oh I don't know, maybe because a certain Sentra in a certain North American country might be going the same route. ;)

Do you happen to know if Nissan's DIG system includes any port injectors to keep the valves clean?

Do you happen to know if Nissan's DIG system includes any port injectors to keep the valves clean?
No idea.
Our pulsar sedan is a very Basic version of the US Sentra.
The Sentra is pretty basic anyway. :lol: Funny you guys are getting the car before us, ours will be 17MY. Although I believe our car will be the facelift version, so body will be quite different.

Isn't direct injected engines evolved from the need for Port Injectors?
Yes, but there is a problem with them that has become industry-wide recently. By the time direct-injected engines reach 80,000-100,000 miles of "normal" use, they're garbage and need rebuilt. The reason is that carbon builds up on the back side of the intake valves and spoils the tolerance between the valve and valve seal, causing misfiring. It's an industry wide problem that is only recently coming to light as first-gen direct injected engines are reaching this mileage and are, of course, out of warranty.

These engines have no way of keeping the backside of the valves clean. Pump gasoline has cleaning detergents in it for a reason, but with direct injection these detergents never get to where they need to go.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm

Valves need to be washed with fuel to stay clean. This is why Toyota is the only company I know of that still uses a port injector in combination with direct injection specifically to wash the valves.

Moral of the story is that if you're looking to purchase a used car with direct injection, do research to find out if it has a port injector because if it doesn't you're going to be spending big on a new engine by the time it reaches 100,000 miles. These engines are effectively worthless garbage.

That method doesn't solve the EGR problem which is the real problem on most non-performance engines. On performance engines, there is a point in time when the intake and exhaust valves are open simultaneously, allowing exhaust gases to creep around the backside of the intake valve before the piston reaches TDC and starts downward. The only really effective way to keep them clean for the very long term is to wash them with fuel.

That video acknowledges that there is an entire generation of cars which will be rendered useless because of faulty GDI designs, which was my point.

According to some videos i have seen it can be resolved mostly by the ECU, and that most newer cars have protection measures in place via that.

Probably will still have carbon build up but to a significantly lesser effect.

not sure if the DIG-T engines have this as they would probably be considered a Performance engine.

Saw the facelift US market Sentra today. Was a base model so going to reserve judgment until I see a higher trim level. Looks similar to the facelift Altima (not surprising as the Sentra has followed the Altima design for a while) and I'm not sure when Nissan plans on showing them.

So I guess for 2016 they are slightly changing the looks, but the turbo engine + Nismo versions won't come around until 2017. Sucks because I am looking to get out of my GTi as soon as possible and waiting for them to hit the market.

I am not sure about the turbo variant, @Keef , but Nissan's HR16 motor uses dual injectors. One direct, one port. This allows for a cheaper, lower pressure in-chamber injector, clean valves, I think, are a bonus.

It's still a Sentra, and bunging the Juke's engine in it won't change it's position comfortably near the bottom of its class. Other than the ancient Lancer and the (equally old, underneath) Corolla, I can't think of another compact sedan I'd rather avoid.

These things are actually wonderfully comfortable... that rear seat is acres and acres of legroom. And handling is much better than you'd think*.

I'd rather drive one of these than an FB Civic, a Corolla or a Cruze. An Elantra, I'd flip a coin. The Lancer, that's a no-brainer. I'd pick a Focus over this, but only with the stick.

Of course, it's no Mazda3. But then, nothing else is, either.

These things are actually wonderfully comfortable... that rear seat is acres and acres of legroom. And handling is much better than you'd think*.

I'd rather drive one of these than an FB Civic, a Corolla or a Cruze. An Elantra, I'd flip a coin. The Lancer, that's a no-brainer. I'd pick a Focus over this, but only with the stick.

Of course, it's no Mazda3. But then, nothing else is, either.
Agreed on all accounts. In fact when the Nismo hits my GTi is going by-bye. If they make the same suspension changes to the Sentra that they did to the 16MY Altima & Maxima SR, they'll be quite nice. Unfortunately they'll still have the rear beam suspension that I hate. (which is being dropped for the all new car in 2019-ish)

Finally a Sentra that's actually relevant again. They stopped being as much in 2001.

I would rather they Made a Euro Pulsar Styled Sedan, the car needs a big Refresh to be close to it's competition, I would rate it second Last in the C Segment just Ahead of the Poorly Made but more modern Styled Cruze.

Interior wise it feels like a mid 2000s car, same with the Hatch we get, the SSS is Warm hatch though, main competition would be the 2.5L Mazda 3 rather then Golf GTI.

handling is much better than you'd think*.

Forgot to add the footnote that goes with that "*".

*Notably, the Corolla's handling is also better than you think, a local mag did a track comparison between local variants of the Sentra/Sylphy, Mazda3, Corolla, Cruze, Elantra, Focus and Civic. The Corolla cames second to the Mazda3.

-

Doesn't change the fact that the Corolla's steering sucks all the joy out of driving, but there you go.

A lot of new cars have a wrong rear wheel to body ratio. They just look too small. And this car is no exception.

Just like on the BRZ/FRS.

Overall that shopjob makes it quite a nice car.

Overall that shopjob makes it quite a nice car.
Good, because that's the look I will be going for when I get mine. :D (except hopefully mine will be red or silver)

And yeah, the rear wheel well is shorter in height than the front so when you do a straight down lowering it leaves a bigger gap in the front. I might edit it and rotate the car towards the front some so it's even front/rear.

Yeah i think the wheel arch and wheels need to be larger the body is too big for the wheels and seems out of place.

It also has something to do with the amount of body work directly above the wheel well. If it's nearly the size of the rim, it tends to look fat. The Sentra has the automotive equivalent of cankles.

It also has something to do with the amount of body work directly above the wheel well. If it's nearly the size of the rim, it tends to look fat. The Sentra has the automotive equivalent of cankles.

The car really isn't that bad, maybe it's cause I own one of current but compared to the stance of others in its range the only other car I think that may look better is produced by Mazda. Everything else looks far more bland for the same comfort and size.

The car really isn't that bad, maybe it's cause I own one of current but compared to the stance of others in its range the only other car I think that may look better is produced by Mazda. Everything else looks far more bland for the same comfort and size.
Yeah they don't look half bad, my only complaint is with the massive grille. The '16 facelift I think brings some sportiness to it, but the changes are minor. 2017 is the year to wait for though...

Yeah they don't look half bad, my only complaint is with the massive grille. The '16 facelift I think brings some sportiness to it, but the changes are minor. 2017 is the year to wait for though...

I like the grill it gives it a better look to me, the other cars look like boring or silly pushover cars. And while the Sentra as of current isn't anything more than an eco-family sedan at least it looks good and more aggressive in style than others.

I like the grill it gives it a better look to me, the other cars look like boring or silly pushover cars. And while the Sentra as of current isn't anything more than an eco-family sedan at least it looks good and more aggressive in style than others.
I think you'll really like the '16 changes.

Back