2015 INFINITI Q30

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 62 comments
Australia
Australia
infiniti_q30_large2.jpg

infiniti_q30_main.jpg

Suuuuuure look like a Mazda3/CX5

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/580E35F040092DE7CA257E6C000B4301

Infiniti Australia general manager of corporate communications Peter Fadeyev confirmed that the Q30 would be added to the local Infiniti line-up, which currently comprises the mid-sized Q50 sedan, the larger Q60 coupe and convertible, the four-door Q70 sedan and the QX70 SUV.

“We’re anticipating adding the Q30 to our local line-up late in the first quarter of 2016,” said Mr Fadeyev. “It’s an important segment for us, and it’s attracting a new wave of premium buyers.”

Infiniti’s lack of a volume-selling model to this point has curtailed the brand’ s growth in Australia, but Mr Fadeyev suggested its two newest cars would help to add sales to the bottom line.

“Alongside the Q50, we’re expecting the Q30 to be a volume-selling model for Infiniti,” he said.

While no powertrain options have been revealed, the Nissan-Daimler deal also includes an arrangement for Nissan to manufacture Mercedes’ M270 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine in its Tennessee plant. The engine is likely to feature in the Q30 at launch, while a small-capacity diesel is also mooted.

Given that the MFA platform has all-wheel-drive flexibility, an all-paw version of the five-door hatch is also a possibility, but that could be saved for the expected crossover version, the QX30.

The Q30 will be pitched against rivals like BMW’s 1 Series, Audi’s A3 range and its blood relative, the Mercedes-Benz A-Class.

The Q30 will be built in Infiniti’s Sunderland plant in the United Kingdom.

As much as I like Mazda, they were definitely not the first to use this type of design language. Infiniti's "Essense" concept car dates from 2009 and shares many of the traits seen on the q30 concept.

infiniti-essence-concept-car-nissan-360.jpg

Back in 2009, Mazda was still heavily invested in the the Nagare design, like the Furai:

Mazda-Furai-Concept.jpg

and....this...

mazda_nagare_concept__2006-2020.jpg

Sure, the Q30 should look like the Infiniti concepts. Not disputing that but, the Kazama was in 2008 and the SENKU 2005.

images

The SENKU

mazda-kazamai-concept-at-mias2008-img_1.jpg

Kazama

I don't really see any similarities if I'm honest. The Kazamai is proportionally somewhat similar, but the massing, surfacing, and detail elements are quite different.

Honestly, I haven't paid any attention to Infiniti since they went to the Q naming scheme.

So, why is this a Q and not a QX? Does anyone at Infiniti even understand this idiotic naming scheme?

So, why is this a Q and not a QX? Does anyone at Infiniti even understand this idiotic naming scheme?
It isn't a crossover, seeing how it competes against the 1 Series and the A3. So I suppose that's why it is a Q instead of a QX.

Still hate the naming scheme.

This naming scheme is the worst ever. Sure all sedans are Q and all SUVs are QX, but relying on numbers that used to refer to displacement to create a hierarchy doesn't really work. Also, skipping numbers isn't helpful when people are trying to understand the new system. As for the car, I've never been a fan of Infinti design, and if this is the old 2.0 from Merc (CLA and GLA), the engine wasn't particularly refined or great in any manner.

If it weren't for Nysschen jumbling up the classic naming tradition, the Q50 would be named the G37, the Q60 would be the G37, the Q70 would be the M37/M56, the SUVs, don't really remember...

But this... What would the Q30 be called if they stuck with the old ways?

Are you sure it wouldn't have been the EX35 or whatever it was called? The G35 on stilts?

Uh, the EX37/QX50 is pretty much a G37/Q50 in a wagon configuration with what seems like a 3" lift. Although, the EX37 is still based on the previous-generation model, which is what the coupe (Q60?) still is.

There's also that JX35/QX60, which just a slightly more truck-like wagon-thing, less sporty than the FX37/QX70.

Christ. Absolutely none of that makes any sense.

Uh, the EX37/QX50 is pretty much a G37/Q50 in a wagon configuration with what seems like a 3" lift. Although, the EX37 is still based on the previous-generation model, which is what the coupe (Q60?) still is.

There's also that JX35/QX60, which just a slightly more truck-like wagon-thing, less sporty than the FX37/QX70.

Christ. Absolutely none of that makes any sense.

My head hurts just from reading this. I really wouldn't want to be an Infiniti salesman right now.

I feel like this car seems like it doesn't even know what it wants to be. Hatchback? Crossover? The confusion could be extended to the fact that a QX30 will be made.

I feel like this car seems like it doesn't even know what it wants to be. Hatchback? Crossover? The confusion could be extended to the fact that a QX30 will be made.

I mean, is there really any difference at all? I can't really tell from the photos... Should we just assume the Q30 is FWD, while the QX30 is AWD with a small lift?

I mean, is there really any difference at all? I can't really tell from the photos... Should we just assume the Q30 is FWD, while the QX30 is AWD with a small lift?
Off-topic a bit, but has there been any current Infinitis that are FWD?

Back