YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
1389706543199677839.jpg

Damn son, it's an all-new Land Cruiser. You know, the truck you see maybe three of a year, and most of them are from 1997. But, you're sitting there and asking yourself, has anything really changed? Well, aside from the engine, transmission, drivelines, safety equipment, and styling - no. But that other stuff? YEAH DUDE.

Read on for some sick deets from Motor Trend

This thing will tell you more about the international version(s)

----------------

But, seriously. Guys, I have a secret. I love the Land Cruiser. Like, way too much. I can't think of many SUVs that get my blood pumpin' like one of these. Tough as nails, as reliable as a wood burning stove, capable than more things that are heavily modified for off-road use. UGH. LOOK AT IT. LOOK.

I'd be really interested to see one of the mags bring back their old off-road comparisons that they used to do ages ago and stack this against a lot of the "bests" in various price brackets.

• Range Rover
  • Land Cruiser
  • Raptor
  • Grand Cherokee
  • 4Runner TRD Pro
  • Chevrolet Colorado Z71 TrailBoss
  • Forester XT
  • Renegade Trailhawk
Run 'em up a trail, put 'em in the sand, see how they do on road versus off-road. I'd like to see if that $80k+ on the Range Rover and Land Cruiser gets you that much more than a $28k Renegade off-road. Fair bet is that the RR and LC do great, Raptor probably being the most-capable out of the box. But, then again, I've been surprised before.

It's more about, it can do everything and more, in comfort. That's where the RR and LC are the best at what they do.

The one thing I've never realized about the Land Cruiser is just how long it has existed. I mean, this thing has been around for decades. I even saw some old school Land Cruisers watching the Mecum Auction stuff. Today's Land Cruiser is certainly handsome to me. I dig it.

I'd be really interested to see one of the mags bring back their old off-road comparisons that they used to do ages ago and stack this against a lot of the "bests" in various price brackets.

• Range Rover
  • Land Cruiser
  • Raptor
  • Grand Cherokee
  • 4Runner TRD Pro
  • Chevrolet Colorado Z71 TrailBoss
  • Ram Rebel
  • Ram PowerWagon
  • Forester XT
  • Renegade Trailhawk
Run 'em up a trail, put 'em in the sand, see how they do on road versus off-road. I'd like to see if that $80k+ on the Range Rover and Land Cruiser gets you that much more than a $28k Renegade off-road. Fair bet is that the RR and LC do great, Raptor probably being the most-capable out of the box. But, then again, I've been surprised before.

About the LC, I really like this Generation, They should had put that front on the Tundra.

I'm wait for the Lexus LX. I'd take one of those over a Range any day.

Aside from oil sheiks and Finnish military police, who still buys Land Cruisers. Is there really a market for Toyota's "luxury" off-roader, when there's things like LR, RR, and Pajero?

Aside from oil sheiks and Finnish military police, who still buys Land Cruisers. Is there really a market for Toyota's "luxury" off-roader, when there's things like LR, RR, and Pajero?
Land Cruiser is the weapon of choice for farmer's wives who need to tackle the pristine tarmac between their houses, schools and supermarkets while looking as rich, intimidating and bewildered as possible. Watching petite ladies attempt to park these things through stressed faces and designer sunglasses is always a sight to behold.

I wouldn't be surprised if the leading LC demographic world wide is 30 year old, white Australian rural women. They seriously all seem to have them.

Damn son, it's an all-new Land Cruiser. You know, the truck you see maybe three of a year

I probably see one a day! and no I don't live in the desert.

It's a rare thing now, a full sized SUV which is not aimed at the luxury market. Still the coolest thing on the planet but I wish they had made slightly more effort with the styling to bring it in line with Toyota's other stuff, the rear looks so much like a VW.

Last edited:
Swap the bumper, put some all-terrains on it, and put a proper roof rack on it and I would overland the hell out of the Land Cruiser.

What is the Land Cruiser today to you- a capable off-roader or a stylishly posh SUV? Or is it both? I think it is a very stylish machine especially for those with the money to buy one for either or both purposes.

It's a new Ford! Wait, a Subaru! It's a Toyota! I can't quite make up my mind. It seems.. off. The things in the headlights bug me. But at least it didn't fall down the ugly tree and smack its face on every branch like the other Toyota offerings. The unassuming nature of its styling is quite charming. Good to see they don't yet have it in them to screw up the Land Cruiser. yet.

Pretty sure they have all the same hardware as the LC, just softer leater, eh?
The LX tends to ride rather soft. It's not something I would consider going off road beyond gravel, or soft dirt. I find the GX to do a better job off road personally.

I think the problem with the GX, at least for me, is that it doesn't seem like its any more capable than a 4Runner TRD Pro - which costs substantially less, while sharing a lot of the same bits and bobs underneath. That, and the 4Runner hasn't been beaten within an inch of its life with an ugly stick.

The LX vs the Land Cruiser really comes down to your personal preferences, I think. The overall cost difference isn't that great between the two (less than $5000), so its more or less a matter of if you want the Lexus or Toyota style, and perhaps a few more options with the italic L on the grille. I'd have the Toyota, personally, as they seem to hold their value a bit better, and I'd probably feel less guilty working it off-road. Well, as off-road as boat towing and hunting could get.

I probably see one a day! and no I don't live in the desert.

Maybe a Brit thing. I live in a horse racing town so there's a big mix of posh'n'pikey when there are events/fairs on, I see a lot of these around then.

Maybe a Brit thing. I live in a horse racing town so there's a big mix of posh'n'pikey when there are events/fairs on, I see a lot of these around then.

Maybe it's because historically we haven't exactly had a large choice of home grown 4x4's compared to the US. Apart from Land Rover's there has been little else so when Japanese models came over in the past few decades they took quite a large market share.

I think the problem with the GX, at least for me, is that it doesn't seem like its any more capable than a 4Runner TRD Pro - which costs substantially less, while sharing a lot of the same bits and bobs underneath. That, and the 4Runner hasn't been beaten within an inch of its life with an ugly stick.
It's not, but out of all the Lexus vehicles I've driven, the GX just seems more adjusted as it is. The LX does require you put a couple settings into place, but they're not something I've explored because we generally wouldn't consider taking a $90,000 vehicle off-road.
The LX vs the Land Cruiser really comes down to your personal preferences, I think. The overall cost difference isn't that great between the two (less than $5000), so its more or less a matter of if you want the Lexus or Toyota style, and perhaps a few more options with the italic L on the grille. I'd have the Toyota, personally, as they seem to hold their value a bit better, and I'd probably feel less guilty working it off-road. Well, as off-road as boat towing and hunting could get.
Unfortunately, it's not. The MSRP of a LX may state it's less than $5,000, but no LX570 comes without the Luxury Package ($1,500), which then requires the addition of the Mark Levinson system ($2,300) & rear Dual-Screen ($2,000). Every one also basically comes with remote start ($500) & other misc. options which brings them all to just over $90,000. Similar to the RC-F & every one is built with navigation & premium package bringing them to $70,000.

You'd have to special order one without them.

Back