Formula 1 Drivers/Others making their own "Dream Teams"

United States
Somewhere in the Northeast
AllFizzledOut
TakeALLTheNames
From Formula 1:
Formula One group CEO Bernie Ecclestone and two-time world champion Lewis Hamilton kicked off our #F1DreamTeam feature - but what choices did others in the paddock make? Last to name their selection of two drivers, one team boss and one car are former world champions and Williams teammates, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve...

Possible new trend?
Found here.
[From 19 Aug 2015]

Who do you agree with? Who would you pick to create your dream team?

[NOTE: If you're a moderator and you think this thread happens to belong in the wrong subforum, please move it accordingly. I put it in here because it relates to Formula One, and comes from the official F1 site.]

Fan Choice
The final selection
image1.img.640.medium.jpg

The F1 Hall of Fame

As for team boss, Ross Brawn gets the collective nod. Technical director of the championship-winning Benetton and Ferrari teams, Brawn went on to win a drivers' and constructors' double as team principal of his own eponymous team in 2009, and then laid the foundations for Mercedes' current success. McLaren's all-conquering MP4/4, meanwhile, is the car of choice in the ultimate Dream Team. Developed by Steve Nichols and Gordon Murray, it claimed an astonishing 15 poles, 15 victories and 10 further podiums from the 16-race 1988 season. The fact it was the car in which the legendary rivalry between Alain Prost and Senna really kicked off only adds to its lustre.

The top five #F1DreamTeam choices:
DRIVERS - Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Jim Clark

TEAM BOSS - Ross Brawn, Sir Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, Flavio Briatore, Colin Chapman

CAR - McLaren MP4/4, Williams FW14B, Lotus 79, Ferrari F2004, Mercedes F1 W05 Hybrid

Lewis Hamilton

Ayrton Senna
Active Years: 1984-1994
Champion: 1988, 1990, 1991
Wins: 41
Podiums: 80
Poles: 65

Staggeringly talented, intensely charismatic, and fiercely - even ruthlessly - competitive, Ayrton Senna is considered by many to be the greatest driver of all time. His record of 41 wins and 65 poles reflects his dominance, but Senna's legacy extends far beyond statistics. Few pushed themselves as hard; fewer still shed as much light on the extremes to which only the greatest will go. An idol in his native Brazil, Senna's mystique remains undiminished even now, two decades on from his passing on that fateful day in Imola.

Ayrton Senna: Hall of Fame

Juan Manuel Fangio
Active Years: 1950-1951, 1953-1958
Champion: 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957
Wins: 24
Podiums: 35
Poles: 29

Still championed by many as the finest driver to grace F1, Juan Manuel Fangio set the early benchmarks by which every champion has since been judged. In seven full seasons he was crowned World Champion five times, and finished runner-up twice - a superlative record that encompassed some of the greatest displays of skill and bravery ever seen in motor racing history.

Juan Manuel Fangio: Hall of Fame

Bernie Ecclestone
Ecclestone's earliest involvement in F1 came in the 1950s with the Connaught team and driver Lewis Stuart-Evans. He went on to manage Jochen Rindt, before buying the Brabham team in 1972. He quickly set about turning it into a winning force, culminating in title glory in 1981 and 1983. In parallel, he was also a founding member and later chief executive of the Formula 1 Constructors Association.

McLaren-Honda MP4/4
Developed by Steve Nichols and Gordon Murray, the MP4/4 was a revelation from the moment it hit the track at the start of the 1988 season. Utilising a low centre of gravity and sophisticated rear suspension - and with a mighty engine from new partners Honda - the car dominated, claiming 15 poles, 15 victories and 10 further podiums from the 16-race season. The fact it was the car in which the legendary rivalry between Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna really kicked off only adds to its lustre.

Bernie Ecclestone

Jochen Rindt
Active Years: 1964 - 1970
Champion: 1970
Wins: 6
Podiums: 13
Poles: 10

The only posthumous champion in F1 history, Rindt won renown for his audacious, swashbuckling style just as much as much as his supreme speed and ability. Arguably the finest win of his short career came at Monaco in 1970, when he smashed the lap record in an electrifying and successful pursuit of Jack Brabham. He lost his life in a practice crash at Monza on September 5, 1970.

Jochen Rindt: Hall of Fame
Fernando Alonso

Active Years: 2001 - Present
Champion: 2005, 2006
Wins: 32
Podiums: 97
Poles: 22

Fernando Alonso was just 24 when he led Renault to a championship double in 2005, in the process ending the reign of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari. Confirmation of the Spaniard's brilliance came with another double in 2006. Titles may have eluded him in the subsequent years, despite moves to McLaren and Ferrari, but many still regard him as the greatest driver of his era.

Fernando Alonso: Hall of Fame
Flavio Briatore

A colourful, flamboyant and sometimes controversial figure, Flavio Briatore made his name in F1 by turning Benetton into a successful team - aided by his capture of then-emerging star Michael Schumacher. He parted with the team in 1997, but returned at the helm when Renault took over and again presided over championship glory, this time through another young discovery - Fernando Alonso.

Brabham BT49
The car that took Nelson Piquet to his first world championship in 1981, the Brabham BT49 claimed a total of seven wins, six poles and 15 podiums over four seasons between 1979 and 1982. The brainchild of legendary designer Gordon Murray, the BT49 is also regarded as one of the most beautiful cars to race in F1.

Jacques Villeneuve

This is only the second time that Michael Schumacher - the most successful driver in F1 history - has been selected by a member of the paddock for their dream team. And perhaps surprisingly, it is Jacques Villeneuve - with whom Schumacher infamously collided as the pair contested the 1997 title - who selects the German. Villeneuve pits Schumacher against another Ferrari legend in the form of Niki Lauda. His bosses at Williams, Sir Frank Williams and Sir Patrick Head, are his choices to lead the team, while his dream car is the Lotus 78, which helped Mario Andretti to the 1978 championship and also pioneered the advent of the F1 ground effect aerodynamic revolution.

Damon Hill

Our final #F1DreamTeam selection comes from 1996 world champion Damon Hill, who elects to pit himself against father Graham. The Hills remain the only father-son world champions in the sport’s history (Graham was victorious in 1962 and ’68), and between them claimed 36 wins, 78 podiums and 33 poles. Like Villeneuve before him, Hill selects two men he raced under - Sir Frank Williams and Sir Patrick Head - as his ideal bosses, and opts for the all-conquering Williams FW14B as his dream car.

Jenson Button

In a first for the #F1DreamTeam, Jenson Button’s ideal selections actually existed. The Briton pits four-time world champion Alain Prost against three-time champion Ayrton Senna, in a McLaren MP4/4, and chooses his current boss Ron Dennis to preside over the combination. The quartet came together in 1988 of course, with famous results - Senna and Prost claimed 15 of 16 poles and race victories, but became bitter rivals in the process. It was Senna who eventually prevailed, beating Prost to the title by just three points.

Toto Wolff

Wolff already has the pleasure of working alongside three-time world champion Niki Lauda at Mercedes, but the Austrian selects his compatriot as the first part of his dream team line-up. Senna, whose debut season coincided with Lauda’s third and final coronation, is Wolff’s second pick. Sir Frank Williams, with whom Wolff worked during a four-year spell with the team, is named as team boss, while Ferrari’s F2002 gets its first nomination. It remains one of the most successful cars in history, claiming 15 wins from 19 races between 2002 and 2003.

Nico Hulkenberg

James Hunt, almost certainly the most colourful and unconventional champion in F1 history, earns his first #F1DreamTeam nomination courtesy of Nico Hulkenberg. The 10-time Grand Prix winner is paired with Ayrton Senna - himself one of the most charismatic and illuminating personalities to grace the sport. Hulkenberg has installed Eddie Jordan, founder and owner of the eponymous Jordan team, as his team boss, and selected the stunning Benetton B195 - in which Michael Schumacher secured the second of his eventual seven world titles - as his ideal car.

Sergio Perez

Ayrton Senna, already the most selected dream team driver, earns another nomination through Force India’s Sergio Perez. The Mexican pairs Senna with two-time champion and 32-time Grand Prix winner Fernando Alonso, who was also selected by Formula One Group CEO Bernie Ecclestone. Ross Brawn gets Perez’s backing for team boss, while the all-conquering Red Bull RB7 - which took 12 wins and 18 poles from 19 races in 2011 - is Perez’s car of choice.

Helmut Marko

Helmut Marko is the third man (after Lewis Hamilton and Romain Grosjean) to select 41-time Grand Prix winner Ayrton Senna for his F1 Dream Team. He partners the Brazilian with the most successful protege (so far) of the Red Bull development scheme he heads up - Sebastian Vettel, who also moved onto 41 wins after his victory in Hungary. Red Bull’s current team principal Christian Horner is Marko’s choice for team boss, while the all-conquering Williams FW14B is selected as his ideal car.

Romain Grosjean with an interesting choice

Three-time world champion Ayrton Senna and much-missed compatriot Jules Bianchi from the driver line-up in Romain Grosjean's dream team. The Brazilian of course is widely considered to be one of the greatest of all-time, while Bianchi's own trajectory was tragically cut short by his accident on that fateful day at Suzuka on October 5th 2014. Sir Frank Williams, founder and team principal of his eponymous F1 outfit, is Grosjean's ideal boss, while arguably the Williams team's finest creation, the FW14B, is Grosjean's choice for the best car. The Frenchman has one small tweak to suggest though: painting it in Jordan yellow!

Christian Horner

For his dream driver line-up, Horner has selected the supremely quick Nigel Mansell - champion in 1992, and winner of 31 Grands Prix in total - to partner Sebastian Vettel, the man who helped bring Red Bull such staggering success in recent years. The German has 41 victories, 73 podiums and four world titles to his credit, and at the age of 28 still has plenty of time to further rewrite the record books. Horner also names former Brabham team owner Bernie Ecclestone as his ideal team boss, and the all-conquering Williams FW14B - the brainchild of Adrian Newey and Patrick Head - as his dream car.

Last edited:
Corporate Jenson Button.

Seems a very populist list so far. No Colin Chapman as team boss? Outrageous.

Like a Life would reliably make it to pre-qualifying. Better than Andrea Moda though, I guess.

Drivers: Riccardo Rosset & Jean-Denis Delatraz
Car: Life F190
Team Boss: Andrea Sassetti

Go directly to pre-qualifying, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

No Taki Inoue? Imagine all of the compensation he'd accumulate for you when he gets run over by a medical car.

DK
No Taki Inoue? Imagine all of the compensation he'd accumulate for you when he gets run over by a medical car.

Andrea Sassetti is running the team. He's most likely the one actually trying to run Taki Inoue over.

Here's my actual dream team:

Drivers: Alain Prost & Jim Clark
Car: 1993 Williams FW15C
Team Boss: Colin Chapman

Almost unbeatable.

Most of these dream teams seem as if they'd just dominate to the point of boredom.

Where's the dual world champs driving a Minardi operated by Gunther Schmidt?

Or Gilles Villeneuve and Jean Alesi in a Lotus 56 turbine by Alfred Neubauer?

Tom Pryce and Chris Amon in a FW11-Honda managed by Ken Tyrrell?

As long as we're dreaming, it's no fun unless there's an Achille's Heel or some unfulfilled promise.

@Pupik

Drivers: Gerhard Berger & Eddie Irvine
Car: 1997 Prost JS45
Team Boss: Eddie Jordan

That's a fun team with a good car I'd like to be around.

Last edited:
Drivers: Taki Inoue and Pastor Maldonado
Car: 2008 McLaren (Most aero bits to break I could find)
Team Boss: Flav - but only if he has to pay for all repairs from his personal fortune.
Compulsory extra: Flav face cam for those epic comedy moments.

Drivers: Romain Grosjean and Michael Shumacher
Car: 2014 Mercedes
Team Boss: Christian Horner

(There ought to be a Le Mans version of this thread)

Perez nails it for me, I could manage that team to total domination :lol:
Wouldn't Brawn be the one doing the managing? but yep I think I agree with Sergio to, I might swap the RB7 for the MP4/4 or the W06 if it gets every pole this season.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Brawn be the one doing the managing? but yep I think I agree with Sergio to, I might swap the RB7 for the MP4/4 or the W06 if it gets every pole this season.

Yeah I meant having Brawn isn't really that important since the car.driver combo are that unbeatable.

Fair play to that wonderful success story Brawn GP but exactly how long was Ross Brawn a team boss? I've always had him down as a designer and engineer during the time Flavio Briatore and Jean Todt were the Benetton and Ferrari team bosses.

Brawn, while he has dabbled with both, throughout his entire time in F1 has been more of a Patrick Head than a Frank Williams. I'd rather have him and on the drawing boards and in the garages with the likes of Rory Byrne than on the pit wall.

Drivers: Marco Apicella and Al Pease
Car: Maki F101
Boss: Andrea Sassetti

Hey, gotta make things extremely interesting...

Fair play to that wonderful success story Brawn GP but exactly how long was Ross Brawn a team boss? I've always had him down as a designer and engineer during the time Flavio Briatore and Jean Todt were the Benetton and Ferrari team bosses.

Brawn, while he has dabbled with both, throughout his entire time in F1 has been more of a Patrick Head than a Frank Williams. I'd rather have him and on the drawing boards and in the garages with the likes of Rory Byrne than on the pit wall.
I think he was renowned for being able to wriggle a team out of awkward situations, people were talking about it before Mercedes were taken to court over the secret tyre tests. That alone makes him a great boss and his technical knowledge is a bonus, he also played a major part in recruiting the likes of Geoff Willis, Bob Bell and Aldo Costa to create a completely dominant Mercedes car.

Last edited:
Drivers: Riccardo Rosset & Jean-Denis Delatraz
Car: Life F190
Team Boss: Andrea Sassetti

Go directly to pre-qualifying, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

I'll see your hand and raise you

Drivers: Fernando Alonso & Mika Hakkinen
Car: Lola T97/30
Team Boss: Christian Horner & Ron Dennis

The emotions of anger that would brew from this part of the paddock because of the car they have to run, oh that would make for some prime tv. Alonso thought his car this year was bad hehehe

I'll see your hand and raise you

Drivers: Fernando Alonso & Mika Hakkinen
Car: Lola T97/30
Team Boss: Christian Horner & Ron Dennis

The emotions of anger that would brew from this part of the paddock because of the car they have to run, oh that would make for some prime tv. Alonso thought his car this year was bad hehehe
>said car is over 15 seconds off of 1997 pace
Chaos Shall ConSume the weak.

Last edited:
Drivers: Gerhard Berger & Eddie Irvine
Car: 1997 Prost JS45
Team Boss: Eddie Jordan

That's a fun team with a good car I'd like to be around.

Might change Eddie Jordan for Paul Stoddart. Either way, that's a dream team that won't take any bolshevik.

Might change Eddie Jordan for Paul Stoddart. Either way, that's a dream team that won't take any bolshevik.

Yeah I like Paul Stoddart better anyways. Plus I feel Minardi never really had much of a shot at finishing high in points like Jordan did, so Paul had to have had thicker skin for that money pit.

Drivers: Ayrton Senna & Gilles Villeneuve
Car: McLaren MP4/4
Team Boss: Ross Brawn & Ron Dennis

Team Boss was a hard one, the drivers and the car, not so much. :lol:

Back