• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 123 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Well this will be interesting.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/02/ford-fusion-st-spied/

This prototype is wearing bigger wheels and tires, upgraded brake rotors and calipers, enhanced bodywork, and quad exhaust tips – all the telltale signs of something more potent and capable. The performance version of Dearborn's midsize sedan is tipped to pack a version of the company's 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. That's anticipated to channel upwards of 300 horsepower to all four-wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission, but we can hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, Ford will offer a three-pedal manual.

cdauto-fusionst-9215-6-1.jpg

cdauto-fusionst-9215-13-1.jpg

Quite predictable, but it's going to be interesting to see how it'll mix up the new fast Ford market even more.

I mean, its a car that makes a lot of sense.

When it is propped up against the Insignia in the rest of the world, and they've got the VXR/OPC variant, they may as well get around to doing a proper one themselves. And, hell, if it motivates GM to bring out a performance variant of the Malibu, I'm all for it.

The Mondeo works pretty good here. Not many faults(read, Recalls). They do need to up the power as the Mazda6 MPS is coming as well. I'll wager wagon variants on the Mondeo ST and 6 MPS would be great.

VXR
With the Insignia using a Turbo V6, I'd be surprised if they use a four.

A smaller engine would have consumer cost benefits in a number of territories. Lower emissions would mean cheaper road tax in the UK (sold pre-2017) for instance.

VXR
With the Insignia using a Turbo V6, I'd be surprised if they use a four.

It also dates back to 2009(?) - i'd be surprised if their own replacement had anything other than a four-pot turbo.

It's all very well saying a turbo four could do the job in place of a turbo V6, but if Audi and BMW still use sixes in their S and M-Sport line respectively, I can't see Opel/Vauxhall deciding to drop to a four. The Turbo V6 in the OPC/VXR gave it a lower-priced alternative to an S4.

VXR
It's all very well saying a turbo four could do the job in place of a turbo V6, but if Audi and BMW still use sixes in their S and M-Sport line respectively, I can't see Opel/Vauxhall deciding to drop to a four. The Turbo V6 in the OPC/VXR gave it a lower-priced alternative to an S4.

Well, over here in the States, they've already done it. The Buick Regal GS uses the corporate 2.0T in a slightly detuned fashion, does 259 BHP and 295 LB-FT, which was a bit of a drop from the front-drive-only units from before. They end up being quicker, somehow, low 6's to 60 MPH, and get a pretty good score for overall ride/handling. As far as I can tell, the Buick is about 7/10ths off the pace of the Insignia VXR, surely due to the 80+ BHP difference.

If Ford is planning on making it an international effort, 300+ BHP would be absolutely necessary, even more so to separate it from the 2.0T powered Titanium models that already have 260 BHP.

You can have an older (EUCD) V8 Mondeo if you like. The Volvo/Yamaha V8 should fit into the space left by a (Volvo) 2.5T engine, and I'm fairly sure the bolt pattern is the same as the M66 manual transmission. Someone with a little knowledge of the Volvo Px Central Electronic Module should be able to create a carconfig file which (while never existing in OEMland) should allow everything to talk on the CANbus. As long as the bonnet fits over the top, you're golden. And if you think it can't be done, there is an S40 with the V8 in question...

I wouldn't be certain the 2.7 EcoBoost would make it to Europe. Possibly in extremely small numbers.

My guess would be the same 2.3L from the Focus RS, which would help them make up for development costs of the engine quicker putting it in more than one vehicle.

I think the 2.3L would make more sense for a Mondeo ST in Europe in regards to fuel economy, emissions and for that it would be a bit lighter than a V6.

I wouldn't be certain the 2.7 EcoBoost would make it to Europe. Possibly in extremely small numbers.

They didn't think it worthwhile in the euro-spec Mustang, plus it would make total sense to utilise the Focus RS's drive train. 👍

My guess would be the same 2.3L from the Focus RS, which would help them make up for development costs of the engine quicker putting it in more than one vehicle.

Isn't the Focus RS engine pretty much the same as the Ecoboost Mustang's?

WHAT???!!!!

I've been hoping for a Fusion ST since the new gen Fusion/Mondeo came out and I've even asked Ford a couple years back if they had one in mind. Now though, it's happening!

No mention of Europe getting a Mondeo version, although I'm sure we will.

Rather, I hope we will, because I need one! A bit more realistic for me as well over a Focus RS... :lol:

What is up with that stupid knob? Make a small gear stick or put the knob somewhere that isn't going to be completely in the way. If that knob weren't there, you could have a place to put your phone, etc. What a waste of space.

Latest Posts

Back