Why does Mclaren F1 corner well inspite of its body roll?

• Thread starter MclarenGT
  • 38 comments

Which is better to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
stiters
Hello I am new here.
I have tested Mclaren F1 stock at spa,nurburgring,moteji and it has the fastest lap on each and every track.When Tiff Needell tested it at goodwood the body rolls were significant

But still it managed around 1:25.5 laptime(watch from 6:52.5 to 8:18 it reaches same point) and is faster than Nissan GTR laptime of 1:27.7.
In nurburgring it managed 7:11 laptime with xp5 prototype at Mika Hakkinen's hand not the lm version(the video was there in mclaren site before mp4-12c was released)
http://www.sps-automotive.com/en_sps/track/07Nt_zonda.html
These are my laptimes for F1
Nurburgring 6:53
Moteji 1:52
spa 2:24
I use a DS3 controller.
There was another test by autocar where its cornering speeds were significantly higher than a Zonda even in the damp(i don't remember zonda link)
http://www.jwhubbers.nl/ring/docs/am-1093-5.jpg
But why was it slow at tsukuba inspite of good performance in other tracks.
And why it corners fast inspite of its body rolls in the game and in real life?

More body roll means the car can hang on more in corners, which basically means more grip.

Not really. Rather, a certain amount of body roll is preferred. Amount varies depending on which car and what kind of tune it has.

@
Ridox2JZGTE
It is just that I was surprised by its tsukuba time because it did well in nurburging(7:11),good wood(1:25.5),Estoril(1:55.9),Bedford Autodrome(1:21.2 with a lot of skidding and passenger beside it and faster than Enzo)

@
Ridox2JZGTE
It is just that I was surprised by its tsukuba time because it did well in nurburging(7:11),good wood(1:25.5),Estoril(1:55.9),Bedford Autodrome(1:21.2 with a lot of skidding and passenger beside it and faster than Enzo)

What's the time that you know at Tsukuba ? The Tsukuba is low speed track, Mclaren F1 would be mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear throughout the lap and lots of double clutching. It entered 4th gear for only a few seconds ( this is real life lap )

Yeah have that video longtime ago :) It's not slow at the time, consider the tires, track condition and how much the car was pushed in the corners. It may do 1:03s like F40, but then again, the F40 managed 1:03s in the ideal condition, and most of the times when it was driven at Tsukuba, F40 averaging in 1:04-1:06s.

The McLaren F1 just didn't have much laps ( race/time trial events ) at Tsukuba back in the 90's, similar to RUF CTR which also slower than F40 there.

Do you know what it takes to break 1 minute barrier at Tsukuba ? It won't have factory tires for sure.

The F1 with 1:04s at Tsukuba was on OEM tire, Goodyear Eagle F1, 235/45/17 front and 315/45/17 rear.

The facebook source is not reliable source it's a fan page, and the person didn't even know the best lap time of F40 at Tsukuba, I just saw his last comment about the 59s lap and comparing to F40 lap.

If I remember correctly Mika tested Mclaren F1 XP5 @ nurburgring (7:11) after this test in japan

The 59s was given by magazine who tested F1 if he is geniune he told best lap for F40 was 1:03.92 which is correct.But yes,it is not a reliable source as you said.
Any way I managed 58.75s with F1 at tsukuba and 56s with Huayra.

Last edited:
And why it corners fast inspite of its body rolls in the game and in real life?
Because the very best Formula 1 designer was given total freedom to develop the ultimate car.
This is a car that, with very few modifications, won the 24 hours of Le Mans, outright, on its debut.

the car comes with a "high downforce" mode that can be turned on and off.
This is news to me. Do you have any source for that?

If I remember correctly Mika tested Mclaren F1 XP5 @ nurburgring (7:11) after this test in japan

The 59s was given by magazine who tested F1 if he is geniune he told best lap for F40 was 1:03.92 which is correct.But yes,it is not a reliable source as you said.
Any way I managed 58.75s with F1 at tsukuba and 56s with Huayra.

His F40 lap time at Tsukuba is incorrect, Tsuchiya-san did faster than that, by 2 tenths :)

You lap time 58s, I'm sure it was on sports tires, fit CM and see if you have similar speed, braking and exit as the real lap. Don't forget to add 200kg ballast, the "dry" claimed weight of F1 never happen when driven in real life. Most F1 ranges from 1170kg ( XP5 Prototype weight ) to 1260+kg ( road car ) and can be closer to 1290kg depending on the features/options ( travel bags :D ) Guess where the bags are hidden :P

Try this and download the replay if you want a ghost :

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...40jgtc-nismogtr.294814/page-120#post-10754137

Last edited:
Yes,the laptime was set by sports tires.With CM Tires I managed 1:01 at tsukuba,and 7:12 at nurburgring.The Mclaren F1 european weighs 1140kg the 1260kg was for US F1

Yes,the laptime was set by sports tires.With CM Tires I managed 1:01 at tsukuba,and 7:12 at nurburgring.The Mclaren F1 european weighs 1140kg the 1260kg was for US F1

EU F1 should be more than 1170kg, the XP5 prototype weighs 1170kg ( running ), 1140kg would likely be dry weight for road car.

Sorry I didn't consider that.But I can't understand why F1 was insanely fast at nurburgring and goodwood and even bedford.
But what did that 92% mean in tsukuba weather condition?
Here is a race in tsukuba where Mclaren F1 came last ifyou are telling tsukuba lap was good during that time.The track was wet

Skip to around 45min

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't consider that.But I can't understand why F1 was insanely fast at nurburgring and goodwood and even bedford.
But what did that 92% mean in tsukuba weather condition?
Here is a race in tsukuba where Mclaren F1 came last ifyou are telling tsukuba lap was good during that time.The track was wet

Skip to around 45min

A lot of people have described the F1 as twitchy in the dry let alone the wet, a lot of performance cars have twin personalities depending on the weather

Yes,the car is twitchy but it corners well if you get used to it,I actually hated it first in the game due to its body roll and twitchiness.Tif Needell said it handles well.

Thanks for the tune
My laptimes now
Tsukuba 1:01.95
Nurburgring 7:11.59

Last edited by a moderator:

There are several great videos in this thread! Thanks for sharing them, guys... 👍 I really liked this video, in particular, as you can really see how much the car dives when getting heavy on the brakes and there is quite a bit of body roll as well. Of course, this was all obviously planned by the engineers.

The Ferrari F40 and McLaren F1 are quite possibly my two favorite cars of all time. They came out just at the perfect time, in my life, for a teenager to be lusting after such objects - and they absolutely destroyed everything else on the road except maybe the Porsche 959, but truthfully, I don't know much about the 959. I thought it was hideous at the time (still do) and it just never excited me enough to research it.

What do you guys think about the Porsche 959 in relation to the McLaren F1 and Ferrari F40, @MclarenGT amd @Ridox2JZGTE? You know how much I love the F40, Ridox...I have 5 of your replica's in my Garage. :D It could become 6 at any moment... :lol:

Back