Do you think Gran Turismo Sport will have open lobbies?

Yes or No? Do you think Gran Turismo Sport will have an open lobby feature?

• Obviously!

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I'm pretty sure.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Not very sure.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I wouldn't think so.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nah. Not at all.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No idea at all

Votes: 11 12.4%

• Total voters
Canada
In his bedroom.
The title says it all... I hope so. What's your take? I would LOVE to drive some open free rides in Gran Turismo Sport with the new features (Whichever they'll give us,I guess) and better sounds that they say will be on PS4.

The title says it all... I hope so. What's your take? I would LOVE to drive some open free rides in Gran Turismo Sport with the new features (Whichever they'll give us,I guess) and better sounds that they say will be on PS4.

I don't think GTS will have open lobbies, since It's a prologue game. GT5P had online events, but no online lobbies.

I don't think GTS will have open lobbies, since It's a prologue game. GT5P had online events, but no online lobbies.

That was PD's first attempt at a PS3 game with online capabilities featuring multiple people on track at once as well. It doesn't necessarily set a precedence that online Lobbies won't be there.

Also, its not a Prologue.

Last edited:
I'm sure hoping it does! Wouldn't be much point in me downloading the beta otherwise, as I mainly like to race online.

'Open' lobbies? What do you mean? Lobbies are either open or restricted.

Are you using 'open' as in 'free roam'?
Or 'open' as in casually-run public lobbies that are not competitive, or connected to official events (as is the case presently)?

'Open free ride' - can you expand on that before I cast my vote?

'Open' lobbies? What do you mean? Lobbies are either open or restricted.

Are you using 'open' as in 'free roam'?
Or 'open' as in casually-run public lobbies that are not competitive, or connected to official events (as is the case presently)?

'Open free ride' - can you expand on that before I cast my vote?

Casually open lobbies and Free running just for fun.

Casually open lobbies and Free running just for fun.

There probably will be the ability to open public lobbies for practise or cafe-type/ track day-type events, or just hanging around showing off cars; that wouldn't be so hard to implement as an online feature. Free roam, though, is another matter - I cant see a competition-based global virtual-racing programme featuring that.

From the presentation at PGW I think it's reasonable to assume there will be open lobbies. It wouldn't make sense otherwise if GTS focus will be on online championships and leagues.

VBR
I'm sure hoping it does! Wouldn't be much point in me downloading the beta otherwise, as I mainly like to race online.
Speaking of this beta... any news on if it will be free or purchase nessassary?

VBR
I'm pretty sure they already said that the beta will be a free download.

👍

Either this or a lowered price tag for those who play the beta and then no other price tags when the game comes out. I've had that many times when playing on beta games. but then again I'm just saying that out of what I've had in the past. This and random intuition.

P.S. I'm not in the know whether PD said the beta will be a free beta or not.

The only details they've given on the beta so far is the approximate launch date and that it'll be open to everyone.
Thank you, im pretty sure the beta will have open lobbies though. It was in GT5 and GT6 so why would they remove it from the open beta?

Thank you, im pretty sure the beta will have open lobbies though. It was in GT5 and GT6 so why would they remove it from the open beta?
I can't see open lobbies not being in the beta, but if I was a betting man I would have bet that shuffle racing, GT5 photo travel locations and some other features would have been included in GT6 as well.

I can't see open lobbies not being in the beta, but if I was a betting man I would have bet that shuffle racing, GT5 photo travel locations and some other features would have been included in GT6 as well.
Good point. Some people on here will think that sounds negative, but I think it makes a lot of sense. :lol: reality isn't always positive. :lol:

Also the 2007 model nascars in the GT trailer that were never in the game. :lol:

I'm pretty much sure that "Sport" mode would have the FIA Online Championships and traditional Gran Turismo online open lobby, quick match, community, etc, a la GT5 with some of GT6's new stuff.

If GT Sport will be as substantial as Sony says, it would make sense for it to have open lobby. Open lobby is critical to a lot of hardcore GT fans.

Sony probably really misses the good old days of GT titles selling 10 million+ copies. So their real focus now is likely to get the average gamer interested in GT again, like they were in the days of GT2, 3 and 4. I think that to come close to that, they need to hook those gamers on online racing. Open lobby isn't even on their radar, and heaven forbid they find it, it is rarely a good time for any average gamer. It turned me off of online in GT5 so badly, it wasn't until recently in GT6 that I even screwed around with online again at all. What brought me back? ... Quick match :eek:

I believe Sony is banking on this FIA stuff to make GT popular with the masses again. I think it will basically revolve around a strong quick match system. It really needs to rank drivers. As you complete races and place well, you'd get the option to increase rank, or you're forced up at a certain point. The "sanctioned" online events that contributed to your rank would resemble anything from GT6 quick match and seasonal stuff up to serous business international events.

I think they will want to tempt as many folks as possible out of the open lobbies and into the sanctioned servers/events to keep them humming. As a skilled driver, you would want to put in more races there so that your efforts contributed to your rank.

Sorry for going off on this wishful tangent... I could hammer out a 180 page rule book just on my ideas of a ranking system alone :lol: I got a lot of these ideas working my way through the ranks in cycling, so they always pop into my head while I'm on the trainer. Anything that quickly passes the time on the trainer is a blessing :yuck:

If GT Sport will be as substantial as Sony says, it would make sense for it to have open lobby. Open lobby is critical to a lot of hardcore GT fans.

Sony probably really misses the good old days of GT titles selling 10 million+ copies. So their real focus now is likely to get the average gamer interested in GT again, like they were in the days of GT2, 3 and 4. I think that to come close to that, they need to hook those gamers on online racing. Open lobby isn't even on their radar, and heaven forbid they find it, it is rarely a good time for any average gamer. It turned me off of online in GT5 so badly, it wasn't until recently in GT6 that I even screwed around with online again at all. What brought me back? ... Quick match :eek:

I believe Sony is banking on this FIA stuff to make GT popular with the masses again. I think it will basically revolve around a strong quick match system. It really needs to rank drivers. As you complete races and place well, you'd get the option to increase rank, or you're forced up at a certain point. The "sanctioned" online events that contributed to your rank would resemble anything from GT6 quick match and seasonal stuff up to serous business international events.

I think they will want to tempt as many folks as possible out of the open lobbies and into the sanctioned servers/events to keep them humming. As a skilled driver, you would want to put in more races there so that your efforts contributed to your rank.

Sorry for going off on this wishful tangent... I could hammer out a 180 page rule book just on my ideas of a ranking system alone :lol: I got a lot of these ideas working my way through the ranks in cycling, so they always pop into my head while I'm on the trainer. Anything that quickly passes the time on the trainer is a blessing :yuck:
While I'm a fan of a driver rating system, in a game like GT they better be really careful on how they handle it inside the game. Crashers and wreckers need a place to race too, you can't just shoo them all away because their $$ are worth the same as my $$ to PD/Sony/Kaz. Various grades of safety rating need to be available and hosts need to be able to specify what safety grades are allowed in their lobbies and to be able to turn off safety tracking if they want to. That way, if you enjoy some dirty Nascar or some smash up derby or just no rules racing, you can do so without it affecting your safety rating. But when you want some serious driving you create or enter a lobby with the rating turned on and you drive differently.

If they create a system but don't make it flexible enough, you'll drive people away from open lobby racing in frustration.

If they create a system but don't make it flexible enough, you'll drive people away from open lobby racing in frustration.

It's not just the rating but how you acquire it. If you need to do a certain amount of 'clean' race performances to reach lobbies you'd like, people playing the game for the first time can experience a 'crash' fest and be instantly turned off.
As you say, if this is considered, it has to be done carefully.

While I'm a fan of a driver rating system, in a game like GT they better be really careful on how they handle it inside the game. Crashers and wreckers need a place to race too, you can't just shoo them all away because their $$ are worth the same as my $$ to PD/Sony/Kaz. Various grades of safety rating need to be available and hosts need to be able to specify what safety grades are allowed in their lobbies and to be able to turn off safety tracking if they want to. That way, if you enjoy some dirty Nascar or some smash up derby or just no rules racing, you can do so without it affecting your safety rating. But when you want some serious driving you create or enter a lobby with the rating turned on and you drive differently.

Good points no doubt. I envision a low or no consequence quick match event for every "this race counts toward your rank, do your best" type event. It should be a supply and demand thing. If the game does gain more mainstream popularity, the events geared toward the novice and intermediate drivers (more forgiving) will swell and they should create more of those events. I think GT6 quick match is teaching them the optimum balance for the widest array of drivers.

Which leads me to the fact that GT6 quick match is really frustrating. For a lot of reasons, but maybe most of all, by now they have a clear formula for which events are popular and which ones are full of crickets and tumbleweeds... and they keep on giving us the snoozer events. You get two that you don't bother with, one that maybe you'll do a few times and hopefully one that you actually dig, which is packed at all times. Occasionally you get one that you can't stop playing - win, lose or get crushed it's just a blast. They need to get everyone off the hype train and onto that train.

I just hope to God they can figure out a reasonable penalty system. I am not exaggerating when I say that 9 out of 10 penalties I ever get are from some sort of collision, and I am the in the wrong maybe 1 time in those 9. The servers have gotten pretty reliable, but that's probably because there are like 25 people playing at any give time :)

I just hope to God they can figure out a reasonable penalty system. I am not exaggerating when I say that 9 out of 10 penalties I ever get are from some sort of collision, and I am the in the wrong maybe 1 time in those 9.

Agreed completely. I rarely use Quick Match, but when I do I get collision penalties - normally from people ramming the side of my car. I might stick with it to earn some credits, but normally I give up after a race or two frustrated with other peoples aggressive driving and the games wonky penalty system.

The standard of driving has got slightly better in recent months presumably because more of the casual players (kids) have switched to PS4.

I worry that aggression will get worse in the new game - I expect that PD will implement more realistic visual damage as it is a common request and this will lead to more deliberate wrecking. Personally I have no interest in visual damage (It spoils the photos so I set it to off) but I do often race with heavy damage so I want the car to be affected in a realistic way, but not so badly that it stops you limping round to the pits for repairs.

Penalties for collisions need to be greatly improved and also penalties for track limit infringements - it would be helpful if a feature could show us where the limits are. Certainly I find I am not as good as other drivers at gauging limits so I tend to lose time by driving too cautiously.

I just hope to God they can figure out a reasonable penalty system. I am not exaggerating when I say that 9 out of 10 penalties I ever get are from some sort of collision, and I am the in the wrong maybe 1 time in those 9. The servers have gotten pretty reliable, but that's probably because there are like 25 people playing at any give time :)
And the other one is 30 penalty for cutting the inside corner at Le Mans by 18 inches. :lol:

I'm just glad GT6 never had the extreme pit penalty like pCars did.. And the crash fest mentioned above here somewhere. Remember the first days of pCars' launch? Everyone crashed into eachother at the start of the race. So annoying.

And the other one is 30 penalty for cutting the inside corner at Le Mans by 18 inches. :lol:

Penalties online at Le Mans are BRUTAL! They're always turned off in my lobbies, & most players most of the time stick to the track limits. 👍 to all you gents out there!

:D

Back