Please Help. I believe EVERYTHING got deleted..

• Thread starter potvinsuks
  • 21 comments
United States
NYC, NY, USA
potvinsuks
Potvinsuks
Hi fellow Racers,

I'm sure this has been a topic of conversation before, but after a full day of digging through the internet searching for answers, I am still unsure if I should just suck it up and start grinding back up from the beginning or, continue to try to find a remedy to my situation.

So last night, in the FGT Club room I decided to do some practice laps, and after 10 minutes I exited out of the room but got a load screen for what seemed like an eternity. Tried to get out of game via the PS Button to no avail and finally decided to do a hard re-set which is something I always try to refrain from using. As the PS3 re-started I got a "corrupted files check" request which I opted out of being that it was getting close to our League Practice start time. Low n behold, when I got into GT6 it was as if I had just gotten back from BestBuy with a brand new game inserted into the machine.

I checked the XMB and saw no GT6 "Saved Game Data", but just one Replay file from May. Also, there is a GT6 file in the "Game Data Utility" which was created on Nov.14th, version 1.21 with a size of 21GB.

Then I went ahead and ran the "Corrupt File Check" and it still didn't help as I still have no GT6 "Saved Game Data."

After this I restarted the game and I obviously had to put in a new driver name etc, and within that, it looks like I lost everything (cars (150+, Money 4Mill+, Paint Chips) except my GT6 trophies from what I can tell.

I made a HUUUGE rookie mistake and neglected to make any backups of my Game Save Data.

So, before I make that grim walk back into the beginning pits of the GT6 grind, I must ask...Is there any other way of getting my precious GT6 Saved Game Data, or should I just forget about that and begin my journey....again?

Thanks in advance to all that help!

I may not post much, but am an avid GTPlanet member and very rarely miss any articles, and realize how great of a community GTPlanet is!

Thank you.

I made a HUUUGE rookie mistake and neglected to make any backups of my Game Save Data.
Unfortunately you did, yes.

To my knowledge, you'll have to start again.
It doesn't take too long to build up some credits & get back online but obviously there's work to do to get back as much as you had.

Try to enjoy it, maybe go through the game as cheaply as possible or something like that.

& make a back up or two this time.

Hi fellow Racers,

I'm sure this has been a topic of conversation before, but after a full day of digging through the internet searching for answers, I am still unsure if I should just suck it up and start grinding back up from the beginning or, continue to try to find a remedy to my situation.

So last night, in the FGT Club room I decided to do some practice laps, and after 10 minutes I exited out of the room but got a load screen for what seemed like an eternity. Tried to get out of game via the PS Button to no avail and finally decided to do a hard re-set which is something I always try to refrain from using. As the PS3 re-started I got a "corrupted files check" request which I opted out of being that it was getting close to our League Practice start time. Low n behold, when I got into GT6 it was as if I had just gotten back from BestBuy with a brand new game inserted into the machine.

I checked the XMB and saw no GT6 "Saved Game Data", but just one Replay file from May. Also, there is a GT6 file in the "Game Data Utility" which was created on Nov.14th, version 1.21 with a size of 21GB.

Then I went ahead and ran the "Corrupt File Check" and it still didn't help as I still have no GT6 "Saved Game Data."

After this I restarted the game and I obviously had to put in a new driver name etc, and within that, it looks like I lost everything (cars (150+, Money 4Mill+, Paint Chips) except my GT6 trophies from what I can tell.

So, before I make that grim walk back into the beginning pits of the GT6 grind, I must ask...Is there any other way of getting my precious GT6 Saved Game Data, or should I just forget about that and begin my journey....again?

Thanks in advance to all that help!

I may not post much, but am an avid GTPlanet member and very rarely miss any articles, and realize how great of a community GTPlanet is!

Thank you.
In your Saved Data Utility have you got a GT6 backup ?.

I know this sound stupid but if I were you I will force the PS3 to go to that "file check intro again" by shutting down the PS3 "just" from the xmb, unexpectedly by pulling the plug. Maybe if you let the PS3 checked the files this time, it will find those save files. This is dangerous and I will only consider as last result.

I'm all too afraid that you unfortunately, may be right Bridge.

Shame on me for allowing this to happen, as I have no-one to blame but myself for this, and although I spent the whole day today cursing PD and Sony and the generations of relatives that proceeded them, I realize now that this can happen with ANY game/program on ANY system (console, PC.etc), and now I realize, backing up is absolutely an essential process, no if's or and's about it. ESPECIALLY since this is the first problem I've ever had with PD, and that spans back since GT1.

Good point! Why not try to have (more) fun with it this time around, but maybe use a different angle. I like that idea, and thanks for the quick reply Bridge!

In your Saved Data Utility have you got a GT6 backup ?.
No, but not that I think I know of Hall.

I do not have PS+, so no online backup. When I hard reset the PS3 that file got erased somehow, I guess since I was in the game and the loading Icon was continually moving for between 5-10 mins, so it definitely was a crash as I restarted.

The only three files that are on there from GT6 are In "Save Data Utility" the game from last night (new one), it says "Data containing details of your progress throught the game (from an updated version) 44k credits, current car Honda Fit etc. But heres the weird thing...It has the proper date from yesterday but days elapsed 6..
The other file is in that same folder but a replay from May 11.

In the "Game Data Utility" folder there's one file and that's the actual game file with a date of when I actually installed the game which was Nov of last year, size 21gb, version 1.21. However, when I hit Triangle on it, the only two options available are delete and information.

Thanks Hall!

Try to go into safe mode and restore the file system from there. In the mean time, don't do anything that save data, as that may result in not being able to restore anymore.

I know this sound stupid but if I were you I will force the PS3 to go to that "file check intro again" by shutting down the PS3 "just" from the xmb, unexpectedly by pulling the plug. Maybe if you let the PS3 checked the files this time, it will find those save files. This is dangerous and I will only consider as last result.

Ultra, are you referring to the "Corrupt File Check?" If so, that might not be a bad idea actually, but I believe I'd be able to access it via safe mode, no?

Try to go into safe mode and restore the file system from there. In the mean time, don't do anything that save data, as that may result in not being able to restore anymore.
NLxAROSA, Thats exactly what I did last night and chose option #3. Also, I made sure I deleted the new user/driver prior to the "Check".

No, but not that I think I know of Hall.

I do not have PS+, so no online backup. When I hard reset the PS3 that file got erased somehow, I guess since I was in the game and the loading Icon was continually moving for between 5-10 mins, so it definitely was a crash as I restarted.

The only three files that are on there from GT6 are In "Save Data Utility" the game from last night (new one), it says "Data containing details of your progress throught the game (from an updated version) 44k credits, current car Honda Fit etc. But heres the weird thing...It has the proper date from yesterday but days elapsed 6..
The other file is in that same folder but a replay from May 11.

In the "Game Data Utility" folder there's one file and that's the actual game file with a date of when I actually installed the game which was Nov of last year, size 21gb, version 1.21. However, when I hit Triangle on it, the only two options available are delete and information.

Thanks Hall!
In your Saved Data Utility you have your GT6 game save and a GT6 backup, did you see this below in the picture.
PB260001.JPG

I haven't gone to the safe mode yet. I didn't even know that there's a safe mode in PS3 until @NLxAROSA said it. :lol: As for your question, I assume you can access it there. Good luck! :cheers:

Edit:
What if you try looking for the deleted files by plugging the PS3 HDD on PC and recover it? If it still there, copy it to usb then put it to the PS3 again.

Last edited:
In your Saved Data Utility you have your GT6 game save and a GT6 backup, did you see this below in the picture.View attachment 485107
No, not at all Hall, but coincidentally enough, this new driver I created just generated one to add insult to injury :-(. So I guess that incident last night caused both files to erase. Wow!
I'm also thinking or deleting this new driver again, then starting a new one, but use the exact same driver name as the original, but U know it's a long shot, but really can't hurt to try, and if that doesn't work, use Ultra's idea of retrying the "Corrupt Check" again.

Also, I read something today that said that these saves also have something to do with your account (psn.) Well, about 2 weeks ago, I changed my account e-mail to another and now I'm beginning to suspect that has something to do with this.

Also, as I just got into game w the new driver, everything is gone except for my downloaded user tracks, which were installed after the e-mail change.

No, not at all Hall, but coincidentally enough, this new driver I created just generated one to add insult to injury :-(. So I guess that incident last night caused both files to erase. Wow!
I'm also thinking or deleting this new driver again, then starting a new one, but use the exact same driver name as the original, but U know it's a long shot, but really can't hurt to try, and if that doesn't work, use Ultra's idea of retrying the "Corrupt Check" again.

Also, I read something today that said that these saves also have something to do with your account (psn.) Well, about 2 weeks ago, I changed my account e-mail to another and now I'm beginning to suspect that has something to do with this.

Also, as I just got into game w the new driver, everything is gone but all of my downloades user tracks, which were installed after the e-mail change.
Buy yourself a USB so you can save the game save onto that, and then you will not lose many month of work down the drain, so save the game save to the USB daily 👍.

I don't know if its possible for a PC to read a PS3 HDD but I will try to recover the files from the PC. Even if an HDD is reformatted the files must still be there. Unless they were overwritten by a huge batch of deleted files. That'll permanently delete the files away.

I d
I don't know if its possible for a PC to read a PS3 HDD but I will try to recover the files from the PC. Even if an HDD is reformatted the files must still be there. Unless they were overwritten by a huge batch of deleted files. That'll permanently delete the files away.
I have a funny feeling that you may be right Ultra, and that there is a way of retrieving the files/info, and can probably be extracted in the manner you mentioned, but it is something that I've never tried but if the files are still there, I think it can be done.

I just gotta believe the information is in that HDD......Jeez, I just got a flashback of that StarTrek episode where someone was stuck in transporter and the whole episode had to do with them trying to figure out how to get them out hehe :-)

I will take your advice and make sure to backup data every single day that I drive for sure now!
That is good to hear :cheers: because you never know. I played GT6 nearly every day since it came out and I have never lost a game save and I still use a USB daily, so enjoy the game 👍.

That is good to hear :cheers: because you never know. I played GT6 nearly every day since it came out and I have never lost a game save and I still use a USB daily, so enjoy the game 👍.
I sure will!!

Thanks so much for the time,help and patience!..And.that goes for you Hall, Ultra, Bridge and NXlarosa!

My brain is fried from reading into this all day and night, and I think I'm gonna get some sleep so I can get up early and try to resolve this prior to the big dinner tomm :-)

Thanks again guys, and I'll make sure to keep things posted, and most importantly....Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

What you should have done was delete your corrupted main GT6 save, then restart the game. It will prompt you to load the backup save and everything will be fine. GT is pretty good in this regard as it creates the backup save only when you first boot the game, so it will never be corrupted together with the original save (unless your whole HDD got corrupted).

Seeing as you decided to overwrite the save, the backup also got overwritten and everything is lost. Game Data doesn't contain any info about your progress (except photos, replays, lap records and garage thumbnails - but I'm not sure these will show up with your new save). Trophies likewise are synced with PSN server so they are not related to your save.

Since you have started over though, just enjoy the whole process again 👍 GT6 is one of the easiest and fastest GT games to get up to speed. Red Bull, Senna and Seasonal events will give lots of credits easily.

Also a good tip: just stick a USB thumb drive to your PS3 and leave it there. When you see the console it will always remind you to backup your save. I grew up in the PS1 memory card era where everything is manual save, so it's pretty much subconscious for me to always save my data to USB after every play. You will never lose a save again this way 👍

Thanks for the reply and the help Legend!

What's weird is that the first time I saw any backup file whatsoever was until late last night, more then 24 hours since the initial "corruption." I wish I saw a backup file, then common sense would have even guided me to doing the right thing, but unfortunately, there was never a backup file until well after the second "driver"/Career.

I too, am an old timer when it comes to games on a broad scale of consoles over the years (43 years old :'( ) and still have my old ps1/ps2 memory cards as well, and remember all too well many of my friends getting together on weekends, and you had better made sure to not forget to bring your memory card with you, or you'd get the cold shoulder from your friends the whole night lol. Gosh, I remember even having two of them multi pack's connected to one system so we were able to have up to 8 players/friends that played together! Them things had 4 controller and memory card slots each hehe. So for me to be this ignorant and not back it up is all on me, but again, I feel like my info is still in there, and is oh so close to be re-treived.

If not, and I just can't get it back, I'm just gonna have to suck it up and start again, but hey, it can only make me better right? Like you said, this GT is far easier to progress then any of the older GT games.

Thanks for the reply and help Legend!

Back